5th Ed D&D - Newgate's Champions

Started by Devil's Advocate, January 02, 2017, 03:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devil's Advocate

I'm looking for people that would be interested in playing in an online game of the newest edition of D&D.  Since D&D has charm spells and other spells that can force you to act against your will, I'm thinking that this has to be classified as non-con, although I do not believe it will be very heavy, if at all, on the non-con content.  However, I'd like to keep all bases covered so I/we do not violate any E rules.

Stats would be epic buy for first level characters.  Feel free to PM me a concept and/or state your interest here. I have long noticed that group games seem to die as people fade in and out of serious writing. With this particular game concept, new players always should be welcome and the game will never die as long as there are writers who are interested.

Here's the concept:

You are a modern everyday person of any variety (non-celebrity, non historical or major figure): student, attorney, line worker, secretary, whatever. You next open your eyes to find you are in an unfamiliar place and find that your body is not even your own. You have incarnated in a D&D body with 5th ed D&D stats. You do not know why you are here or even if this is reality. How can you get back to your known reality? Or is this your known reality? Or is something else going on?

Things that you as a player should know:

1) There are no clerics and no healing, reincarnation, ressurection exist and you will have no access to those powers. If you wish to play a cleric, you're going to need to talk to me first and promise never to leave the game. :)

2) There are no dragonborn, tieflings, aasimar, goliath, kenku, lizardfolk, tritons or those with monstrous origins.

3) Volo's and Sword Coast may be used.

4) You should try to play a character class that is somewhat related to whatever you do in modern day society. For example, someone in the marines might be a fighter, a lawyer might be a bard or rogue, etc.

Any questions or concerns, express them here or PM me.
O/o's

A/a's

The trouble with resisting temptation is that is may never come again!

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Silver Phoenix

Ooooo!  Trans-world concept!  This already has my attention ;D

Will see what I can brainstorm.

No questions so far, as RedPhoenix has already asked the ones I had :-)
My O/Os: Elliquiy, F-List

Current Game Capacity: 11/11; Full

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Silver Phoenix on January 02, 2017, 05:33:48 PM
Ooooo!  Trans-world concept!  This already has my attention ;D

Will see what I can brainstorm.

No questions so far, as RedPhoenix has already asked the ones I had :-)

Glad it has your attention! :) I was running this on tabletop but we had to switch games and it was a blast!
O/o's

A/a's

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: RedPhoenix on January 02, 2017, 05:23:34 PM
A few questions.

1) Can you clarify whether there will be non-con sexual content in the game or not? I'm not terribly worried if a character gets charmed into buying a sofa that clashes with their furniture but getting mind controlled into a rape scene is a pretty different thing. I don't think you have to put the game in non-con simply because charm spells exist, but you would if you expect them to be used to lead to sex scenes so uh, can you draw a line?

I'm all about the story. Sex may be part of the story. I don't know where a line could be drawn. I could see a situation where a character is charmed or whatever into sex but I don't need to be graphic about it. Again, I'm about plot and story.

Quote2) Would the characters 'wake up' knowing their own capabilities? Like if my character is a retail clerk turned sorceress does she know she's a sorceress?

They would not know their abilities at first but they would find out rather quickly once they get to Newgate. I don't want to spoil the surprises there.

Quote3) Will combat be balanced around the fact that we have no healing or is it expected the PCs will lose most fights?

I should have clarified. There will be no magical healing. There is healing of sorts but yes, things will be balanced out. I'm not a player killer.

Quote4) Are characters expected to want to return to their 'true' reality?

Most will. In fact, that had always been my premise but no, they don't have to want to go back. That could make things somewhat interesting....

Thanks for answering. =)
[/quote]
O/o's

A/a's

Silver Phoenix

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on January 02, 2017, 05:48:34 PMI'm all about the story. Sex may be part of the story. I don't know where a line could be drawn. I could see a situation where a character is charmed or whatever into sex but I don't need to be graphic about it. Again, I'm about plot and story.
I figure if both are up for it, good and well - if not... perhaps a fade to black moment?  An alternative could be to agree with whoever wants before hand that charm will not be used on their character to entice/coerce sexual situations, but everything else is fair game.

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on January 02, 2017, 05:48:34 PMMost will. In fact, that had always been my premise but no, they don't have to want to go back. That could make things somewhat interesting....
Part of the appeal of a trans-world/body idea is that the character initially wants a return to normalcy, but they start to realise the freedoms they have in the new setting; especially for someone who was working a boring 8 to 4 job and never had the opposite sex take a second glance at her/him.  More enlightened characters begin to realise how disruptive they are to the setting and may decide to go back as being for the best, despite not wanting to.  Others revel and lose themselves to their new alter ego.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Silver Phoenix on January 02, 2017, 06:04:37 PM
I figure if both are up for it, good and well - if not... perhaps a fade to black moment?  An alternative could be to agree with whoever wants before hand that charm will not be used on their character to entice/coerce sexual situations, but everything else is fair game.

I'm all for that - either way or both - fade to black and consent of player before or such. Like I said, I don't see that as the norm but I see it as a possibility and just want to not violate rules or the spirit of rules.

QuotePart of the appeal of a trans-world/body idea is that the character initially wants a return to normalcy, but they start to realise the freedoms they have in the new setting; especially for someone who was working a boring 8 to 4 job and never had the opposite sex take a second glance at her/him.  More enlightened characters begin to realise how disruptive they are to the setting and may decide to go back as being for the best, despite not wanting to.  Others revel and lose themselves to their new alter ego.

Again, I view this as character dependent and would not affect too much story wise, as far as I'm concerned. I let characters develop as they develop and cards fall where they may. Any good GM knows that the story isn't solely run by him/her. Were it not for the characters, the story would just be a book written by an author. :) D&D is meant to be interactive.
O/o's

A/a's

Silver Phoenix

Just realised a question as I was looking over the classes; what about the paladin, specifically Lay on Hands?  Honestly, I'm eyeing the Warlock more, but just for the sake of asking... ;D

Zaer Darkwail

I voice interest on this :). Most likely rolling a bard (thinking for a geek who plays actually DnD games and is quite knowlegable about it and thus reason why he would become bard) and sort RL dabbler of everything (has tried various things in long life). However bards have song of healing (well, sort of; people heal more via rest as they sing) and also they get access to almost all healing/cure spells like clerics do (so all healing spells are banned from bard?).

Also thought my guy could be wizard with sage background and so he knows stuff because he has invested a lot to int skills (than just be bard). Also are variant humans allowed or use default one?

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Silver Phoenix on January 02, 2017, 06:13:55 PM
Just realised a question as I was looking over the classes; what about the paladin, specifically Lay on Hands?  Honestly, I'm eyeing the Warlock more, but just for the sake of asking... ;D

No lay on hands. Thanks for pointing that out.
O/o's

A/a's

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on January 02, 2017, 06:22:17 PM
I voice interest on this :). Most likely rolling a bard (thinking for a geek who plays actually DnD games and is quite knowlegable about it and thus reason why he would become bard) and sort RL dabbler of everything (has tried various things in long life). However bards have song of healing (well, sort of; people heal more via rest as they sing) and also they get access to almost all healing/cure spells like clerics do (so all healing spells are banned from bard?).

Also thought my guy could be wizard with sage background and so he knows stuff because he has invested a lot to int skills (than just be bard). Also are variant humans allowed or use default one?

Variant human is fine. Bardic healing would be banned unless and until something changes in game for the same reason as stated above. The world you will be entering will not know of magical healing and have no access to it. Think of Dragonlance before Goldmoon.
O/o's

A/a's

AndyZ

I suppose I should ask: what about temp HP?  Second Wind for Fighters?  Hit Dice?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: AndyZ on January 02, 2017, 06:28:11 PM
I suppose I should ask: what about temp HP?  Second Wind for Fighters?  Hit Dice?

No issues there. They're not magical healing. People don't know they have "temp hp" or the like.
O/o's

A/a's

Zaer Darkwail

Temp HP could be called adrenaline rushes/surges and such :P. Anyways thanks from replying; I lean on following pics of inspiration for my bard or wizard (I am not tied to either class so if someone wants play bard or wizard I then pick my other class which to build from).

Pics

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on January 02, 2017, 06:46:06 PM
Temp HP could be called adrenaline rushes/surges and such :P. Anyways thanks from replying; I lean on following pics of inspiration for my bard or wizard (I am not tied to either class so if someone wants play bard or wizard I then pick my other class which to build from).

Pics

Nice pics. So who is definitely in? I want to know if I should start setting up forums, etc....
O/o's

A/a's

Zaer Darkwail

I am definately in, just waiting check who would play what (I am drawn to that 'younger Medvih' as pic for my mage).

Chulanowa

I'm always interested in 5E, though the class restrictions are a little irksome. I'm the weirdo who LIKES playing clerics and other divine casters... Though I wonder, if Volo's is available, why are pretty much all the races from it not available? I mean what's left there, the Tabaxi and Firbolg? I wanted to play a Tabaxi in another game so that's cool, but I also like my goblins and kobolds and lizardfolk (oh my!) What about races from Unearthed Arcana, like the Eberron races and Minotaur?  ;D

Muse

May I play? 

I'd specificly be interested in a girl who completed a dancing degree in college--nad was pretty bright, too--but never got a break and got ground down by a series of dead end jobs. 

She winds up as a bladesinger wizard.  : )  Turning education, inspiration, dancing, and art into a lythe and lovely mix of spellcaster, warrior, and performer.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Chulanowa on January 02, 2017, 08:01:20 PM
I'm always interested in 5E, though the class restrictions are a little irksome. I'm the weirdo who LIKES playing clerics and other divine casters... Though I wonder, if Volo's is available, why are pretty much all the races from it not available? I mean what's left there, the Tabaxi and Firbolg? I wanted to play a Tabaxi in another game so that's cool, but I also like my goblins and kobolds and lizardfolk (oh my!) What about races from Unearthed Arcana, like the Eberron races and Minotaur?  ;D

UE is not approved and is workshop material. Yes, Volo's is mostly out and leaves I think just Tabaxi and Fireblog, but there are reasons for these things. If you like the cleric, feel free to PM me and we can chat. As I said at the beginning, I have plans for said class and such a player would have to stick around through thick and thin by the nature of this venue.

Quote from: RedPhoenix on January 02, 2017, 08:05:32 PM
Sorry to ask another question, but I'm really weighing whether I'll have time or not. What will the posting rate be? How often do you expect player posts, do you anticipate making gm posts etc?

Posting rate? Heck if I know. I know things are always faster online for the first week or two and then they start to get slower. I just want to keep a sense of flow. This particular concept allows for people to go in different directions and do different things as well as the group materials, so, play as much or as little as is comfortable for you?

Quote from: Muse on January 02, 2017, 08:07:33 PM
  May I play? 

I'd specificly be interested in a girl who completed a dancing degree in college--nad was pretty bright, too--but never got a break and got ground down by a series of dead end jobs. 

She winds up as a bladesinger wizard.  : )  Turning education, inspiration, dancing, and art into a lythe and lovely mix of spellcaster, warrior, and performer.  :) 

Bladesinger.... Knew someone would have to do it....
O/o's

A/a's

Chulanowa

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on January 02, 2017, 08:11:45 PM
UE is not approved and is workshop material. Yes, Volo's is mostly out and leaves I think just Tabaxi and Fireblog, but there are reasons for these things. If you like the cleric, feel free to PM me and we can chat. As I said at the beginning, I have plans for said class and such a player would have to stick around through thick and thin by the nature of this venue.

My minotaur piratess sheds a tear, then beats the crap out of anyone who noticed

Alright then. I'll have a shuffle through my character folders see what looks neato.

Muse

Is that a bad thing?  ^_^;; 

Will they be starting at level 1? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

AribethAmkiir

This looks interesting, but how much knowledge of 5E do you want us to have?

Doomblade403xxx

I'm in if your still looking

Barbarian character most likely

Silver Phoenix

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on January 02, 2017, 06:55:06 PMNice pics. So who is definitely in? I want to know if I should start setting up forums, etc....
Definitely in.  Vacillating between paladin and warlock, leaning with the latter.  Probably half-elf.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Muse on January 02, 2017, 11:05:36 PM
  Is that a bad thing?  ^_^;; 

Will they be starting at level 1?

Yes, level one.

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on January 02, 2017, 11:19:22 PM
This looks interesting, but how much knowledge of 5E do you want us to have?

Newbs welcome. I'm more interested in story and using the stats and rolls for randomness or furthering story when necessary.

Quote from: Doomblade403xxx on January 02, 2017, 11:37:28 PM
I'm in if your still looking

Barbarian character most likely

As many as want may join. I'll likely set up forums in the next couple of days. Get me a concept for approval on PM.

Quote from: Silver Phoenix on January 03, 2017, 12:18:41 AM
Definitely in.  Vacillating between paladin and warlock, leaning with the latter.  Probably half-elf.

Just don't expect lay on hands to work. You're probably better off with a warlock but I never tell players what to do. :)
O/o's

A/a's