Very Interested in Running A White Wolf style game (Any Welcome)

Started by Krysia, July 29, 2011, 12:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krysia

So yes, Krysia is like fiending to run something in the World of Darkness. But not New WoD. I am very old school and prefer running or playing in the old system.

I can run anything from werewolf to vampire. My preferred system is werewolf and I'd gladly run (not play in) a good old fashioned Sabbat vampire game.

Hopefully I can get people to agree on something. :D

Ixy

Thank you for taking the proactive approach of offering to run a game.  I took a look at your profile and, while we may not concur on everything, it would be great seeing your approach and writing as an ST in this kind of game.  We don't line up on all points, but it's refreshing to see that you feel the way you do about specific story elements and player behaviors.

As exciting as a great White Wolf game is, I'm also a little apprehensive about the huge variety of game-styles that could emerge from this kind of open-ended offer... like you, power-gaming is not my interest, and with White Wolf there's usually a mad-dash to play the Noctuku-Shadowlord Abomination Technocracy Mummy or some shit, so it's reassuring that you're not having any of that. 

Some of us get a good deal of exposure to White Wolf through larping, and the social/societal/power-structure aspects of most venues-- while great fun in those settings-- don't seem that they'd translate very well to the kind of small-group game that usually works best on E.   As for other elements, White Wolf has survived for years because it's the emo-players' wet dream-- most venues are loaded with personal drama, mystery, intrigue, surrealism-- that kind of stuff MAKES a WW game, and that's why I'd love to play.

I'd like to join a small group, quick pace, moody, description-heavy, and low-powered game... there's an awesome group-game Apocalypse variant going on right now in E, but I got a little overwhelmed with it and the directions it was going in. 

(TL/DR: I'm interested, depending on how you decide to go with story and group)

Starlequin

I've tried literally since i joined E to participate in a WoD game, but I haven't managed it yet. This one looks promising though. Would it be strictly Werewolf / Vampire / whatever book is decided on, or would / could different books be used? I've been wanting to play a Mage or a Geist character for ages now, but if a Vamp or were would be preferred I have no problem running one of those creatures (although i don't think i have any books for Werewolf atm). I also don't know much difference between old and new WoD, but I can pick it up quick, lol.
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

fallensaviour

Quote from: Starlequin on July 29, 2011, 05:24:23 PM
I've tried literally since i joined E to participate in a WoD game, but I haven't managed it yet. This one looks promising though. Would it be strictly Werewolf / Vampire / whatever book is decided on, or would / could different books be used? I've been wanting to play a Mage or a Geist character for ages now, but if a Vamp or were would be preferred I have no problem running one of those creatures (although i don't think i have any books for Werewolf atm). I also don't know much difference between old and new WoD, but I can pick it up quick, lol.

for starters, geists didnt exist.  also, there was very little balance between the different supernaturals, to the point one werewolf pc would be very difficult for a party of vampire pcs to take down without preperation.  and werewolves tended to hunt in packs.  overall the nwod is more balanced, old wod has more flavor.

that said i can roll bone gnawer or sabbat if need be :D

Krysia

Quote from: fallensaviour on July 29, 2011, 06:17:18 PM
for starters, geists didnt exist.  also, there was very little balance between the different supernaturals, to the point one werewolf pc would be very difficult for a party of vampire pcs to take down without preperation.  and werewolves tended to hunt in packs.  overall the nwod is more balanced, old wod has more flavor.

that said i can roll bone gnawer or sabbat if need be :D

Personally thought nWoD and 4th Ed were on par with each other for dulling down the systems for people to play. No offense to players of both but I found them -too- easy and they lacked the challenge.

Granted with that said oWoD has it's own issues as well. They had rules in books for things and another ruling on the same thing in another book that totally blew what the other book said out of the water. There were way to many contradiction in the system. It just got even worse when they went to revised edition. They had so many books that pointed to the old system yet told us those books were "out dated".

With some interest in the game maybe I should put out my proficiencies with the systems.

100% proficient with Sabbat/ Base VTM/Independents 
50% proficient with Cam (Used to LARP it but didn't read the revised book - I went for evil)

90% proficient with Werewolf/Fera (Combat still gets me but I have books for reference)

60% proficient with Sorcerers (I actually grasp the concept of them better then Mage for some reason)

50% proficient with Changeling (read the book - I can fake the story just not combat)

40% proficient with Hunter (Usually a lot better at doing imbuing scenes then running the game)

30% proficient with Mage (I can build a character LoL. The person who was teaching me ditched on me)

20% proficient with Vampire Victorian Age (I would LOVE to play in a game like this. Tried it once ended up being a mortal game)

0% proficient with Wraith
0% proficient with Mummy
0% proficient with Demon
0% proficient with Kindred of the East
0% proficient with Dark Ages
0% proficient with Wild West

fallensaviour

thats the problem with game balance, it usually makes things duller but i find the story in owod better and the mechanics in nwod better...that said i usually play owod :D

though, new changling i find more interesting than what i've read of old...what with being angsty and a ptsd metaphor

Vandren

Potentially interested, depending on RL time and where this goes.

Quote from: fallensaviour on July 29, 2011, 06:17:18 PMto the point one werewolf pc would be very difficult for a party of vampire pcs to take down without preperation. 

That's sorta the point.  Werewolves in WoD are combat monsters (even the non-combat monster ones); Vampires in WoD are social schemers, they aren't meant to be combat monsters (except for some young Sabbat -older Sabbat become schemers - and a couple clans like the Assamites - who often become schemers anyway because most of their enemies are).  The Werewolves have a "live fast, die young" lifestyle combating the Wyrm and defending Gaia; the Vampires have a "it wil ltake 80+ years for this plan to come to fruition, but I have all the time in the world" lifestyle plotting against each other and the Antedeluvians (who create plots that take centuries or more to bear fruit).  In short, it should take a lot of preparation and careful thought before any Kindred consider taking on a Garou, there's a reason the Kindred stick to the cities and avoid venturing into the space between urban centers (and it's not just the ease of finding kine).
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

fallensaviour

well, yes but they were able to put across the same sense while toning down the werewolves in nwod.

Krysia

Quote from: Vandren on July 29, 2011, 10:53:03 PM
Potentially interested, depending on RL time and where this goes.

That's sorta the point.  Werewolves in WoD are combat monsters (even the non-combat monster ones); Vampires in WoD are social schemers, they aren't meant to be combat monsters (except for some young Sabbat -older Sabbat become schemers - and a couple clans like the Assamites - who often become schemers anyway because most of their enemies are).  The Werewolves have a "live fast, die young" lifestyle combating the Wyrm and defending Gaia; the Vampires have a "it wil ltake 80+ years for this plan to come to fruition, but I have all the time in the world" lifestyle plotting against each other and the Antedeluvians (who create plots that take centuries or more to bear fruit).  In short, it should take a lot of preparation and careful thought before any Kindred consider taking on a Garou, there's a reason the Kindred stick to the cities and avoid venturing into the space between urban centers (and it's not just the ease of finding kine).

Well that also all depends on the sect you're from too for the vampires. Sabbat tend to hunt things for sport/pleasure then just being well planned. I think it's very funny to have a bunch of newbie shovel heads going out thinking they can take on a, mind you starting level, werewolf because they think there shit don't stink and they can live forever.

I tended to get more into the sabbat because they were all about being rather dumb. No offense to players who play them, but it was what they did. They didn't care what people said about what they did they just did it to be fun and let the "leader" clans deal with politics if they felt like it.

fallensaviour

of course the sabbat that live past that stage are dangerous fucks... because they get into that complete monster for the "greater good" mindset and tend to be better chessmasters than even the camarilla

Jin

Don't know much about the Sabbat Myself. I am interested But would tend to lean more towards Independents if playing Vampire. I would Prefer Werewolf though

Sabriel

Hello

This looks very interesting to me, I love old world of darkness it is positively my favorite system when there is a group that understands the setting and such.  I like most of the settings although I was first introduced to the game through Werewolf and have always loved it, although mostly for the points that most seam to forget or ignore about the game.  I would be glad to be involved in either a werewolf or vampire game equally although like Ixy I would have to say that group makeup would be a strong influence on my decision, but then having read your views I think that would likely not be a problem.

I am not a big fan of crossover It only tends to lead to problems and make the world seam more like the world of Disney than the world of darkness with how most end up handling it. 

I do also have a suggestion if you are going to do werewolf, a story that begun just after the first change or during it could be great over a forum.  It would be very interesting to go through the characters change and introduction to Garou society and how they come to terms with and finally accept it etc, then of course there is the first pack and the rite of passage all of which is such great stuff to do which is often simply skipped.  It's in a way a bit like skipping the whole Sabbat embrace procedure sometimes it is such a great potential for RP and story sometimes, and yet it often gets overlooked and it is one those times that characters will remember and will likely have some influence upon them for the future.  Maybe more to do with trauma and brain damage, disfigurement, memories of being locked in a box, chewed on by a bear, morgue rampages or name calling in the Sabbat's case  :P   

Arcadia

I would be very interested in playing in an oWoD game~

Well, ok, I'm not super into the Sabbat, but I'd love to play Werewolf or Mage, especially if there's lots of umbral adventure! Those two games are among my five favorite RPGs ever. And don't worry too much about Mage mechanics; they are on the complex side but actually playing a game helps them become much more clear. At least, running a game taught me a ton about them. Speaking of, I have a 1on1 Mage game here I need to update...

Senti

Personally I am a werewolf girl. Though happy with Changling or mage, personally though i dont mind vampire  Cam style I have too many bad experiances playing sabbat, and dont enjoy it at all.

(I would like to say I actually like NWoD. too)

Krysia

So I'm seeing that most people would enjoy a werewolf or a vampire game.

I'm also seeing that some people want to go through the embrace of a kine or first change stages of a werewolf.

Let's work with these 2 ideas for now. If we do the embrace of a vampire into the sabbat it's not going to be pretty at all and I'm not going to lie each character has a chance of dying from the get go when you get buried with 1 blood point in your body. The sabbat aren't pretty at all when it comes to embracing their random shovel heads. The other aspect of the sabbat is most times they either run lone or in packs. They do have a very spiritual nature in a sort of "i keel you" nature. They usually only accept other vampires that don't piss them off. Hardly keep any ghouls (accept for a few Revenants) and if they do they're abused and used.

Now the Werewolves on the other hand most go through there change young. Around the time puberty hits an they have a stressful time with there body in life. Now that's not all of them cause I know of a werewolf having his first change at 28. Very late but it still happened, his life wasn't so stressful and something triggered it late in life. I wouldn't mind doing a pre-change game just keep in mind E's rules about ages. I don't see someone say 16 hanging around someone 30 all the time. Also werewolves' first change aren't anything to be taken lightly. Lots of innocents killed in the process and each tribe takes care of their own in their own way when the change happens. Not a lot of cubs get to interact with other tribes until around the time of their rite of passage. Glasswalkers for example usually toss new cubs into a gauntlet right away, usually with in 2 days of their first change to see if they can handle being a true Garou. If they handle the gauntlet/mission they were given they gain there rank right away. If not then they will get group training with metis and lupus of the tribe.

Vandren

Quote from: Krysia on July 29, 2011, 11:29:50 PM
Well that also all depends on the sect you're from too for the vampires. Sabbat tend to hunt things for sport/pleasure then just being well planned.

That's why I included the exception for young Sabbat. :D
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

fallensaviour

well...i'd probably roll an independent if we did a vampire game, unless thats a problem.

and i'm prolly going to roll a wiseman type bone gnawer if we go puppies :D

Xanatos

I'd be interested in a Sabbat game. I've tried playing in a few, but they kept dying. I do, have a few issues, however. Maybe someone could explain them away? I love the setting and the mood, but some of White Wolf's choices/game mechanics make zero sense and in some aspects, ruin the game for me. Perhaps if they were addressed, I could gain even more interest. These issues are below.

The Vaulderie, while in concept it is interest and sets the Sabbat apart from Camarilla, in game mechanics I find that it would control my characters action more than I would like. The whole point of a PC is to be able to decide how the character acts/reacts to other PC's and the world around them. With the Vaulderie, that essentially is taken away from the PC. You now have to like your fellow Sabbat (depending on strength of roll regarding a player). I'm not a trouble maker, I hate party conflict, but tension between players is fine, so long as it doesn't lead to conflict - basically I like it natural and all choice, rather than forced.

The thing I never understood about the power housing werewolves explanation for "so called balance" versus the scheming vampires, plan everything, is that game stats random luck never balances out. Werewolves are purely and simplistically more powerful and would almost always beat the average PC team (I say average, so long as the party is not playing min/maxed Tremere and what not). Actually, it seems that just about any race in OWoD can beat a vampire... Its actually kind of silly. What is the point of a vamp if even a Human can take one on (hunter, even with the help of some magic)? Underworld anyone? (I loved Underworld mind you, but in the first one, vampires were pathetic excuses for supernatural beings)

Then you have a vampire's aversion to fire that is so unrealistic that it is insane. Fire affects them no different than a Human, yet they suddenly go through a (completely none existent) mental change that causes them to panic at the mere sight of fire. I personally have done more dangerous things with fire than it takes to turn a badass vampire into a whimpering school girl. Most people won't even give a roaring bonfire a second thought, yet a bonfire is one of the highest fear rolls to make. Sense, this makes none.   

Krysia

Quote from: Xanatos on July 30, 2011, 12:04:40 PM
The Vaulderie, while in concept it is interest and sets the Sabbat apart from Camarilla, in game mechanics I find that it would control my characters action more than I would like. The whole point of a PC is to be able to decide how the character acts/reacts to other PC's and the world around them. With the Vaulderie, that essentially is taken away from the PC. You now have to like your fellow Sabbat (depending on strength of roll regarding a player). I'm not a trouble maker, I hate party conflict, but tension between players is fine, so long as it doesn't lead to conflict - basically I like it natural and all choice, rather than forced.

Well first the vaulderie is an optional rule in the sabbat book. Nothing says we have to actually use it. But at the same time there are benefits to having the vaulderie performed. It means you can't be blood bound to someone else and have them control you the same way. Now with that said the vaulderie has several things you can interpret from it. Think of Wolverine and Scott Summers from the x-men. In a way the team has a vaulderie. They both hate each other with a mad passion but if something came up and either one of them were hurt you know the other would help. In that it's not that you guys can't have your own thoughts/emotions towards a person in the game and PC tension is good for somethings but if say the pack was attacked you would have their back. If I do use the vaulderie system for my game I'd probably use a house rule of it only being well a pack bonding ritual and you couldn't be bound... oh *evil grin* and to dish out Viss here and there. >.> And also with that said I do use Viss as a sort of disease.

QuoteThe thing I never understood about the power housing werewolves explanation for "so called balance" versus the scheming vampires, plan everything, is that game stats random luck never balances out. Werewolves are purely and simplistically more powerful and would almost always beat the average PC team (I say average, so long as the party is not playing min/maxed Tremere and what not). Actually, it seems that just about any race in OWoD can beat a vampire... Its actually kind of silly. What is the point of a vamp if even a Human can take one on (hunter, even with the help of some magic)? Underworld anyone? (I loved Underworld mind you, but in the first one, vampires were pathetic excuses for supernatural beings)

Actually werewolves can be taken down by a vampire. I'm not insulting anyone but anyone who plays -smart- as a vampire can and will take down a werewolf. :) I've seen it done. There is a melee specialty called Parry that works wonders against a werewolf claws.

QuoteThen you have a vampire's aversion to fire that is so unrealistic that it is insane. Fire affects them no different than a Human, yet they suddenly go through a (completely none existent) mental change that causes them to panic at the mere sight of fire. I personally have done more dangerous things with fire than it takes to turn a badass vampire into a whimpering school girl. Most people won't even give a roaring bonfire a second thought, yet a bonfire is one of the highest fear rolls to make. Sense, this makes none.

Their fear of fire comes from the fact that it is one of the only ways to make a vampire dead dead, irony at it's greatest. Yes I know a vampire can die from many other ways but the quickest way to spook them and make them go poof is to well toss them in fire. The Sabbat on the other hand actually have games of chance where they actually do things called fire dances.

fallensaviour

yeay vissicitude as a desiese...in that case i might play a torrie antitrib who has contracted vissc :D

Krysia

Quote from: fallensaviour on July 30, 2011, 01:39:03 PM
yeay vissicitude as a desiese...in that case i might play a torrie antitrib who has contracted vissc :D

It would have to be treated as an out of clan dissy at that point. If you do it through a vaulderie in game there is a chance to catch it as in clan. My serpent of the light got it that way and only pays 5x current for it instead of the 7x.  :D

fallensaviour

heh, my other choice for vampire was regular variety setite :D

Krysia

Quote from: fallensaviour on July 30, 2011, 02:21:10 PM
heh, my other choice for vampire was regular variety setite :D

Yea you find them usually as independents. :) The serpents of the light are a might bit nutty in my opinion - I look at them as the Trolls in WoW. xD "Stay away from the VooDoo.."

fallensaviour

Quote from: Krysia on July 30, 2011, 02:24:22 PM
Yea you find them usually as independents. :) The serpents of the light are a might bit nutty in my opinion - I look at them as the Trolls in WoW. xD "Stay away from the VooDoo.."

Quote from: fallensaviour on July 30, 2011, 11:51:12 AM
well...i'd probably roll an independent if we did a vampire game, unless thats a problem.

just saying :P  and regular setites are usually independent or cam...though both will drop everything to murder the fuck out of a serpent of the light

edit: also something i threw together yesterday and is tangently related to this :D warning: spoilers for game of thrones http://diy2.despair.com/spage/9968568.html

Krysia

Quote from: fallensaviour on July 30, 2011, 02:27:02 PM
just saying :P  and regular setites are usually independent or cam...though both will drop everything to murder the fuck out of a serpent of the light

edit: also something i threw together yesterday and is tangently related to this :D warning: spoilers for game of thrones http://diy2.despair.com/spage/9968568.html

Yea but that's like saying the assamites are welcomes in the cam. >.> Rarities I swear are priceless. My favorite is a Lasombra Anti.... <-- long line a dots not willing to post. xD I don't mind rolling the indies, but I like evil more personally.