Would like to branch out and learn to type longer posts

Started by darkvamplips, August 10, 2009, 12:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkvamplips

I have been roleplaying for well over 10 years and am now 22 years old. I can't seem to type more then maybe 2 paragraphs at most and I see lots of people posting like 6. I was hoping someone could help me with learning how to do this. Maybe start a roleplay with me and give me a few points. Please PM me or post here thank you.
He once said "If he ever hurt you I will walk again to hurt him." Well he did hurt me and where is my friend? RIP Coby you are still on mind even after 10 years.

My request thread:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=29818

consortium11

I'm as guilty as anyone of putting together long posts... one of my games recently had posts of 10k+ words... which in all honesty is actually far too long to really do.

The first thing to note is that a post should never be long for the sake of being long. Less isn't necessarily more, but filler text just to get another paragraph isn't much help either. Secondly post length depends on the game. In some games you and your partner will be far happier with short posts... others will have longer ones.

The basic tips are the same as for any writing. Really describe what your character is feeling and doing at a given moment. If they are sitting describe how they are sitting... describe what they are sitting on... describe the view. If they are looking at someone describe what they are picking up on, describe what they see. Don't just type what they are saying, type what they're thinking.

As an example:

"XXXX was a bit scared as he opened the door and went into the old house."

vs

"With an ominous creak the oak door swung open, the hinges shrieking their discomfort as they were forced to break their long slumber. XXXX sniffed, his nose wrinkling as a draft came through the door, the air musty, heavy, tinged with long forgotten memories. How long since anyone had been into this house? How long since anyone had lived there? XXXX wondered if children used to scare each other with tales of this place... of the ghosts and demons who haunted it. Had they ever dared each other to spend a night within these dark walls? From the cobwebs that hung from the ceiling and the thick layer of dust he doubted it. Hell, even he was scared and he liked to think he was a brave man. He kept trying to reassure himself, mantras repeated in his mind, trying to use logic as the wind began to howl outside. There are no such things as ghosts and goulies... and certainly no demons, vampire or werewolves. He knew this... on another day he'd laugh himself for even considering it... but right here... right now... in this house with the faded paintings and the cracked wallpaper... right now he wasn't so convinced. But he knew what he had to do... and with a deep breath to calm himself he took that fateful step across the threshold and let the door close behind him."

In practice both say pretty much the same thing; a guy goes into an old house and is scared, but I like to think the second gives far more depth and flavour to the house and the character... it draws a reader in rather than just spell out what is going on.

Hope that helps

:-)

darkvamplips

He once said "If he ever hurt you I will walk again to hurt him." Well he did hurt me and where is my friend? RIP Coby you are still on mind even after 10 years.

My request thread:

Noros

I've noticed that for me it depends greatly on what my character is doing at the moment, and who's he interacting with, if I write more or less.
When I'm interacting with my RP partners character, like a conversation or something along those lines, then my posts are usually rather short. There's only so much additional info you can give to the actual sentence your character says. I mean you can't describe how he stands with every sentence, or what he sees, etc.

So sometimes its really just one line, but usually it makes sense in those circumstances.

Then when my character is doing things on his/her own, or interacting with NPCs, then my posts are generally alot longer. Thats mainly because you can describe more actions now. I do this, and then I do something else, and after that I do maybe this. Or in a conversation with NPCs, I can have both sides say something etc etc.
Also when my character has some control over another players character. For example she's tied up, so my char can do things to her that in normal situations would be godmoding. That generally results in longer posts too.

However I try not to overdo it and stop at one point, especially in that last case, to give the other writer a chance to do something as well.

Well thats how I do it, there's not really a wrong or right style of roleplay and others do it differently. But as consortium said, just writing long for the sake of long is more damaging to the whole thing than helping

darkvamplips

Not doing long replies just for the sake of it. I'm not talking about that but if my partner gives me a 3 paragraph reply I would like to try to do more. Thanks for your input.

My request thread:

Caeli

The most basic way to think about it is to ask yourself questions.

What does your character see?
What is she smelling?
What is happening around her?
What is she thinking?
Is she tired or energetic? Nervous? Excited? In anticipation?
What does she hear?
If she's touching something, what does it feel like?

Just ask lots of questions and integrate them into your posts. As long as you practice and try to work at length, it really does come naturally.

As Noros said, it largely depends on what your character is doing at the moment. Interaction with NPCs will naturally give you more room to work with, as will interaction with the surroundings / environment.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

darkvamplips

My request thread:

Haibane

Yes, good points Caeli. SilverRoses, try and imagine the scene and setting and the person's feelings then try to write what your mind sees in that situation. I always have a 'movie' of the game playing in my head and mostly just describe what my character sees and feels and what she does.

But you do not have to write long. No-one is saying that, you just have to write interestingly and in a way that progresses the game, something to give the other player(s) something to grab onto and respond to.

Chevalier des Poissons

Silverroses, shoot me a PM whenever you read that. I will give you some hints and tips about it. ;)
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A