News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Amateur metallurgist discovers new steel-making process

Started by Oniya, June 20, 2011, 11:41:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

The resulting metal is more ductile, stronger, and requires less energy to produce.  The big boys are still trying to figure out why it works.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/11/detroit-diyer-cooks-up-stronger-lighter-steel-shames-scientist/
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

I can see why they were dubious.. it pretty much goes against what is 'known' about alloying. And yes, I'm sure there are a LOT of metallurgists head-desking trying to figure out WHY and HOW it works. Cause if it can be done with this alloy..what else can they try it with?

Kuroneko

Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Beguile's Mistress

It's actually a method of heat-treating or tempering steel alloys to make them stronger and more durable.  Standard methods take the metal to a higher temperature gradually and then hold the temperature for a specific period of time followed by slow cooling and quenching.  This method rapidly takes the material to a temperature high enough to change the molecular structure of the alloy and then brings the temperature down quickly.  The amazing part of this process is that they are able to do it without making the finished product brittle and unusable.  It's obviously been tested on many alloys with some success.

whiskey3172

very interesting I will have to spend some time looking at that.  Metal has always intriqued me.

NotoriusBEN

holy crap, this stuff is 10 to 20% better than normally processed bainite -AND- its 80-90% more efficient to produce?!

good thing this guy got the patent. I bet steel makers want that process or they are going to try and shut him down.

Zakharra

Since he's patented it and apparently is already making plants for use. it would be real hard for them to shut him down. It would be cheaper to either just buy him out, or buy a licence to use the method if/when it fully checks out. Either way, this guy will be set for life.