Chinese Mystical Martial Arts Mayhem!! Recruiting Closed

Started by Red Offerings, January 21, 2014, 04:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florence

I'm definitely more of a fan of freeform, but I guess its not a deal breaker or anything. I just don't like to think the outcome of our character actions are left up to random chance, regardless of the thought that goes into them.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Carlissa

Freeform or dice role is good with me. I'm not a fan of using a system since I'm too stupid to understand most of them. D:
"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

Florence

See, I prefer systems over simple dice rolls because they tend to be a little more inclusive of variables. Typically, I either like to have the outcome dictated by the narrative, or by a detailed system. A simple dice roll just leaves too much up to pure chance for me.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

HairyHeretic

I can do freeform, rules lite or proper system game.

I've run a Mythic China game here a while ago, using the Qin RPG, which I think captures the wu xia flavour very well.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on January 24, 2014, 12:11:49 PM
Might want to check out Fate for this style of Kung Fu.  The whole aspect thing would lend itself well to this style of fighting I think.
Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 24, 2014, 12:27:47 PM
I'm definitely more of a fan of freeform, but I guess its not a deal breaker or anything. I just don't like to think the outcome of our character actions are left up to random chance, regardless of the thought that goes into them.
Quote from: Carlissa on January 24, 2014, 01:01:40 PM
Freeform or dice role is good with me. I'm not a fan of using a system since I'm too stupid to understand most of them. D:
Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 24, 2014, 01:13:38 PM
See, I prefer systems over simple dice rolls because they tend to be a little more inclusive of variables. Typically, I either like to have the outcome dictated by the narrative, or by a detailed system. A simple dice roll just leaves too much up to pure chance for me.
Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 24, 2014, 01:44:16 PM
I can do freeform, rules lite or proper system game.

I've run a Mythic China game here a while ago, using the Qin RPG, which I think captures the wu xia flavour very well.

My only concern is with the special abilities, that things might become a little too complicated. For instance, what about someone who can harden their skin? What's to determine what damages him and what doesn't, or if someone can legitimately dodge an attack or not. I much more prefer freedom myself, so if everyone is saying they really feel like they could do that, then we can give it a swing. Because you're right, with dice, sometimes your special abilities might not work. Or they might work differently on one move than another.

So then, do we want to try this bad boy in free form?
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

Red Offerings

I don't want to get into systems. Personally, I avoid role plays that have them. So if we DO want dice, I think I can create something clean and to the point enough to not gross people out with in depth details.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

Red Offerings

I have added the profile skeleton. Please submit the profiles via PM only.

Florence

Between those choices, my preference is with freeform for the reasons I've stated above.

Also... does the theme song have to be rock? I love rock as much as the next guy, but I'm not sure it fits my character xD

Pumpkin Seeds

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 24, 2014, 08:08:03 PM
Between those choices, my preference is with freeform for the reasons I've stated above.

Also... does the theme song have to be rock? I love rock as much as the next guy, but I'm not sure it fits my character xD

Rock or Metal! It's absolutely necessary! And that's the idea, it's not supposed to fit exactly. Okay and I admit it, it's entirely for my amusement.

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on January 24, 2014, 08:08:28 PM
I'm up for freeform as well.

Alright then, we will give freeform a whirl. Maybe I'll just do a simple rule system then.

Florence

I think my character might be a remnant of one of the old clans. I wasn't originally planning that, but as I started fleshing out her backstory in my head, it just sort of fits.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 24, 2014, 09:44:49 PM
I think my character might be a remnant of one of the old clans. I wasn't originally planning that, but as I started fleshing out her backstory in my head, it just sort of fits.

All right, that will be fine.

Red Offerings

Alright, I've made a profile page and posted my character's profile. You all can take a look if you want. Once I give your profile the thumbs up, you can post it on that thread and then you'll be able to edit whenever you feel the need. I will be making an OOC thread too today which will contain those "rules" and also any other tidbits I deem necessary.

Profiles

Red Offerings

Now the OOC thread is open. But still under construction. OOC here.

Florence

Balls, I had some of my app written up, forgot to save and when I woke up my monitor wouldn't wake up so I had to reboot ._.;

Oh well, I remember most of what I had written down.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 25, 2014, 08:56:51 PM
Balls, I had some of my app written up, forgot to save and when I woke up my monitor wouldn't wake up so I had to reboot ._.;

Oh well, I remember most of what I had written down.

Oh man, that sucks. Don't worry, you've got time. Only one other person has submitted a profile anyways.

Pumpkin Seeds

Red Offerings

Isengrad

Trying to find a style that represents my character concept well. I know the two internal arts i want, Iron Shirt and Iron fist.. really just conditioning the body to take impact.  trying to decide on a Chinese martial art that fits with that.. Might end up going free form.

Nevermind, Found a style !!

original artwork by karabiner

Red Offerings

Quote from: Isengrad on January 25, 2014, 10:28:25 PM
Trying to find a style that represents my character concept well. I know the two internal arts i want, Iron Shirt and Iron fist.. really just conditioning the body to take impact.  trying to decide on a Chinese martial art that fits with that.. Might end up going free form.

Nevermind, Found a style !!

You could always just make a family style. Lots of clans and families would make their own practice of wushu. It would usually be called (Insert Family name) Gar.

Florence

Quote from: Red Offerings on January 26, 2014, 08:12:02 AM
You could always just make a family style. Lots of clans and families would make their own practice of wushu. It would usually be called (Insert Family name) Gar.

My character practices a style I made up, mostly based on bajiquan, called the Exploding Fist style :3

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 26, 2014, 08:38:52 AM
My character practices a style I made up, mostly based on bajiquan, called the Exploding Fist style :3

That can work too!

kckolbe

My concept is that of a administrator from a small clan, only a novice at fighting and chi, but quite respectable as a warlord.  Having trouble writing up a full sheet, though, with nothing else to really work from.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Red Offerings

Quote from: kckolbe on January 26, 2014, 08:41:19 AM
My concept is that of a administrator from a small clan, only a novice at fighting and chi, but quite respectable as a warlord.  Having trouble writing up a full sheet, though, with nothing else to really work from.

Is he a warlord by accident?

kckolbe

Sorry, meant warlord in the RoTK sense, high intellect and political ability. 
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread