Email notifications - missing information

Started by AmberStarfire, October 01, 2013, 01:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmberStarfire

Hi,

I'm notified by email when I receive PMs, and for some reason today, the body of the PM has been missing from the emails I've received. The message area has been blank on the email, while it has existed in PM.

Others may have reported it, but I figured it wouldn't do any harm to do so here.

Thanks,
~ Amber

Oreo

I had one show up that way, but the rest have been okay.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

AmberStarfire

Beguile's Mistress

This has been happening on a regular basis for me since the server switch.  About 50% of my messages are not there and none of the links people send me come through either. 

Also, my total emails count hasn't changed in months.

AmberStarfire

BeMi: Do you mean your PM count? Out of curiousity, what number is it sitting on?

Um, that's if you don't mind me asking.

Beguile's Mistress

Oreo

Mine has been changing. I know I was upset about the same time as we had the move I missed screen-capturing my 10101st PM and it is now 10396

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

AmberStarfire

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on October 01, 2013, 02:55:51 PM
32767 - I never delete.

It could be that the maximum integer size on the table column for emails is a smallint, signed. It might be why it's not incrementing:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/integer-types.html

Inari

I noticed I haven't been receiving notifications via email at all since the transfer. Then again I assume I have to turn it back on or something?

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Starcry on October 01, 2013, 03:10:24 PM
I noticed I haven't been receiving notifications via email at all since the transfer. Then again I assume I have to turn it back on or something?
Veks had turned off all notifications back when we where having gmail issues with the old host.  You probably do have to reset that.

Quote from: AmberStarfire on October 01, 2013, 03:02:24 PM
It could be that the maximum integer size on the table column for emails is a smallint, signed. It might be why it's not incrementing:

That might be possible.  I've just been working on ignoring it.  Things are busy on the getting it up and running front. :-)

AmberStarfire

You might be the first person to have maxed that out.

Unrelated: I sent myself a test message on E just before and the body of the msg came through ok in the notification.

Oreo

Does it still have the red notice that you are getting new PMs?

Oniya

Quote from: AmberStarfire on October 01, 2013, 03:02:24 PM

I thought BeMi's number looked suspiciously familiar.   :D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Vekseid

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on October 01, 2013, 02:55:51 PM
32767 - I never delete.

>_>

alter table smf_members modify column instant_messages int(11);

<_<

As for missing the notification text - all I can think of is if you accidentally clicked a setting?

Some will spamfilter links, additionally.

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Vekseid on October 01, 2013, 05:46:20 PM
>_>

alter table smf_members modify column instant_messages int(11);
I don't understand.

Quote<_<

As for missing the notification text - all I can think of is if you accidentally clicked a setting?

Some will spamfilter links, additionally.
The text is only missing sometimes.  I didn't change any settings and even when I checked on that a while back it was set to allow images and attachments.  I get them in emails from other sources. 

Tharic

Beguile's Mistress

Ah.  I sent a test message and the number went up by 1.  I guess that means all the messages from all the months it was broken can't be added to it.  *nods*

AmberStarfire

It's possible that if you delete one of those messages (since it got stuck), you might delete all of them inadventantly that have the same id. It really depends on what the delete statement is. It's possible to change the numbers, but Veks would probably have to go in and do it manually. It's usually less problematic to leave it be.

Beguile's Mistress

As a test some time ago, now sure just when but months at least, I sent a message to myself to see what would happen if I did delete it and while the number didn't advance when it was received it did decrease by one when I deleted it.  The next inbound message advanced it by one and there it stayed until today.

AmberStarfire

Ok. That's odd but I'm sure it's good that it didn't delete all of the ones that sat on the same number.

Vekseid

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on October 01, 2013, 07:05:02 PM
Ah.  I sent a test message and the number went up by 1.  I guess that means all the messages from all the months it was broken can't be added to it.  *nods*

Can fix it sortof, only two people hit the max.

desert ashes

I've also been noticing the same lack of PM text in the email notification.  It seems to mostly open when the PM is either large or with quotes (even if it's a small PM but including a quote from a prior message).  This started happening when I changed my general notification settings (wanting to see further replies without having to log in due to not being able to access Elliquiy at work), or at least that's when I noticed it, and remains acting this way even though I've gone back to my default settings. 
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Vekseid on October 01, 2013, 08:41:43 PM
Can fix it sortof, only two people hit the max.
It's not all that important so only if you have time, please.  I know how busy you are right now.