US warships near Syrian waters

Started by Skynet, August 26, 2013, 10:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaggedLouise

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on September 17, 2013, 07:50:06 AM
Hey, you know who else repressed gays and hosted the Olympics?

Hitler!

But some of the early Nazi movement had a decidedly 'gay'...well, homoerotic side.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Kythia

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on September 17, 2013, 07:50:06 AM
Hey, you know who else repressed gays and hosted the Olympics?

Man, too many options...

QuoteHitler!

Fuck!  I did not see that coming.  But you know who made meaningless appeals to history, don't you.

It was Hitler

So, how do spoilers work?

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Kythia

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

Found these in someone's family album...

ShadowFox89

Well, this got derailed faster than a presidential debate on economics.....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Kythia

You know who debated economics, right....

gaggedLouise

Hitler is the example of why people who have committed serious crimes should be locked up for life and the key tossed away.  If only he had been in for life after his first coup attempt - instead of the jail term being both short and on lenient terms... ;)

Kythia

Piffle.

Hitler is the example of why jail terms should be shorter and more lenient.  If only he hadn't been left to rot in a Munich cell he would never have had the chance to formulate his philosophy in Mein Kampf.  Further, he would have had no cache or martyr's status on his release.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Dashenka on September 17, 2013, 06:37:13 AM
The plan for Syria to put it's chemical weapons under UN supervision was a Russian plan. The fact that you think otherwise only strengthens my point that the American media are clueless and are writing everything in the US advantage. Again... same thing happened in 1939 in Germany.

Putin didn't 'give' anything to Assad. He sold it.

Uh no. It was INITIALLY the idea of US Secretary of State John Kerry. Russia spent the political clout to get it moving forward, but it was NOT their idea. We already have one leader who got a peace prize for nothing (President Obama), lets not set another up for one they don't merit.

And I would argue, given the details, that Putin negotiated an Arms EXCHANGE rather than an arms deal given he is going to give (ie sell) Syria advance anti-aircraft capacity in exchange for whatever biological weapons he SAYS he has. We have yet to see any effective mechanism for verification.

Sorry, Syria giving an inventory of good to Russia and the US doesn't entirely convince me that all such weapons will be on said list. And increasing Syria's ability to defend itself from tactical strikes from aircraft sound like its reducing the threat of outside forces to act if needed. We've already seen Syria use aircraft outside there territory to strike at dissidents. When Refugee camps of displaced Syrians grow big enough to rank as a large city in other counties, I look on the as 'future targets'. (Fun note, one such camp in Jordan is creeping up on being the SIXTH LARGEST city in that country. Something like 70,000 people there)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Kythia on September 17, 2013, 08:33:45 AM
Piffle.

Hitler is the example of why jail terms should be shorter and more lenient.  If only he hadn't been left to rot in a Munich cell he would never have had the chance to formulate his philosophy in Mein Kampf.  Further, he would have had no cache or martyr's status on his release.

Actually, if he had STAYED in jail he wouldn't have progressed as far as he had. Problem was the people in charge blinked as his party's clout grew. If they had put him away and KEPT him locked up, the Nazis might have wilted over time.

But that isn't the topic at hand.

Neysha

Indeed.

We should all learn a lesson from this about not making random analogies in vain efforts to prop up arguments. I won't say it's a Godwin's Law thing, but it is kind of silly to throw out the Hitler comparisons so readily as we've easily shown. ;)
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Neysha on September 17, 2013, 08:48:05 AM
Indeed.

We should all learn a lesson from this about not making random analogies in vain efforts to prop up arguments. I won't say it's a Godwin's Law thing, but it is kind of silly to throw out the Hitler comparisons so readily as we've easily shown. ;)

I wouldn't go that far. There are some serious parallels involved. Persecution of fringe groups is very often a first step to a more totalitarian government. Putin = Hitler falls part though. There are some parallels though. Rival politicians getting demonized, arrested. Minorities getting hammered by the laws. Outspoken critics getting killed in very violent ways.

It isn't the topic point though.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Dashenka

Pravda is about as terrible as Times.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Kythia

McCain writing in Pravda. Politics really does make strange bedfellows doesn't it.  I eagerly await Woody Allen's translation of Mein Kampf (you know, just to keep the Nazi comments alive)

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Kythia

Oniya

Why wait for Woody Allen?  Mel's already done it.

...Winter for Poland and France...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Kythia on September 19, 2013, 07:24:55 AM
McCain writing in Pravda. Politics really does make strange bedfellows doesn't it.  I eagerly await Woody Allen's translation of Mein Kampf (you know, just to keep the Nazi comments alive)

"Only facts can be in error, not so the Fuehrer"

- Heinrich Mann, German author and anti-Nazi polemicist, in his diary in the fall of 1939 after having heard Hitler boasting in a radio speech. One of my favourite put-downs of Hitler.

Neysha

Quote from: Kythia on September 19, 2013, 07:24:55 AM

Turns out it's not the famous Pravda which is the voice of the Russian Communist Party.

It's for Pravda.ru which is a website founded in 1999 and has a much, much, much smaller readership. It's typically pro-government but meh... doesn't mean much.

Still, the editorial is a great response to Putin's trolling of the United States in the NYT a few days ago.
My Request Thread
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

Kythia

Quote from: Neysha on September 19, 2013, 06:36:57 PM
Turns out it's not the famous Pravda which is the voice of the Russian Communist Party.

It's for Pravda.ru which is a website founded in 1999 and has a much, much, much smaller readership. It's typically pro-government but meh... doesn't mean much.

Still, the editorial is a great response to Putin's trolling of the United States in the NYT a few days ago.

Meh.  They seem to think they're the same Pravda

Neysha

Quote from: Kythia on September 19, 2013, 06:45:50 PM
Meh.  They seem to think they're the same Pravda

Good find.

Well at least little Pravda is willing to post up an editorial that isn't towing the line of their typical POV in this case. :)
My Request Thread

Dashenka

Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.