Adventures in Talamah: The Northern Wilds Reboot (Open)

Started by MagicalPen, August 09, 2014, 03:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalPen

The Northern Wilds stood as a silent barrier, hiding its secrets under a thick canopy of impenetrable forest.

The 13th Legion had marched, one misty morning, into the Northern Wilds to tame them, to bring civilization to the Savages that inhabited the Wilds, to uncover its many mysteries and riches. Tales of Cities of Gold and ancient civilizations fed the rumor mills. The 13th Legion marched into the Northern Wilds and didn't march back out.

It was a loss as shocking as it was mystifying. Trappers and Hunters could safely travel up to a week into the Wilds before they started disappearing, but not one of them could find any sign of the Legion. No discarded armor or arrows or bodies or anything. It is like the 13th Legion had never existed.

Many have come to Tetrarch,  a town on the Southern Bank of the White River, seeking fame and fortune in the Wilds to the North. They all cross on the Ferry to the Traders Village on the North Bank before embarking into the Wilds. Most who venture past that certain point the hunters and trappers know so well are never seen or heard of again. No one knows what happens to them or why, the local Northern Tribe speak of terrible beasts in the Forest and stick mostly to the banks of the River.

It doesn't stop people from trying, though. The riches and the fame for discovering SOMETHING out there would be beyond most peoples wildest dreams. And if you were to find some solid proof of what happened to the 13th Legion, well, the Crown was offering lands and a Lordship for it. What more do you need?

-I am looking for a small, dedicated group of players, equal parts Male and Female.

-Posting rate will be at least 2 posts per week.

-All Characters are Adventurers, about to embark on a potentially deadly journey into the Wilds of the North.

-Game World Information can be found here: The World of Talamah

-All Characters are from the Kingdom of Ribenheim. Their backgrounds can be from neighboring Kingdoms.

[float=left][img padding=12 width=250]IMG HERE[/img][/float]
[b]Character Name:[/b]
[b]Character Age:[/b]
[b]Character Race:[/b]
[b]Character Profession:[/b]

[b]Background:[/b]

[b]Personality:[/b]

[b]Major Skills:[/b]
[b]Minor Skills:[/b]
[b]Innate Abilities:[/b]

[b]Additional Information/Secrets:[/b]]

Accepted Characters:

Connor O'Fearghail, the Leader

Name: Connor O'Fearghail
Race: Human
Profession: 'Assassin' - term used lightly.

Background: Connor comes from a mixed background. Born to Nobility, he was given an education from an early age. He can read and write, do math, and speak three languages including Common. And he has kept this knowledge secret for most of his life. He received weapons training as well - mostly with Sword and Bow. As a youngster, he could often be found practicing his Archery and joining the Hunters out in the woods, where he learned how to track and trap, along with stalking his prey. Little did he know how useful these skills would become for him.

He was always destined for the Legion, like his father, and as he neared his twelfth birthday, he knew that it would be only another 2 short years before he'd be able to join and receive proper training. However, that all changed in a cruel twist of faith. His father was the Commanding Officer of the 13th Legion and upon his disappearance, things quickly spiraled out of control for Connor and his family. People cursed his name and spat at him in the streets and the family name was forever tarnished, tarnished by events out of his control. The servants left, not wanting to serve such an unlucky family, and soon Connor and his mother and younger brother were cast out onto the streets.

His brother only last a few months, his mother a few more months after that, leaving Connor all on his own. He quickly fell in with a gang of street urchins, fighting for every crumb of bread. By the time he was 14, he had grown adept at stealing and had become hardened to street life, realizing that there weren't any rules when it came to fighting. Following rules meant the difference between life and death. Over the next 4 years he began to rise through the ranks in the Underground World - a world as dangerous as it is mysterious for those on the outside. It was during these years that his innate abilities began to surface - or become noticed. He was deadly accurate with a bow, eerily consistent in fact, and seemed to be able to sense when some one nearby possessed magical abilities.

Both of these facts aided him in his new profession - combined with the skills he had learned on the Streets, and what little training in tactics and fighting as a youth, combined with his education - that of an Assassin. It was work that came easy to him, feeding the hatred he felt towards those that had shunned him into his tasks, he quickly excelled in his role. It paid well on top of everything as well but came with its own dangers. One could slip while climbing along the rooftops, or be cornered by guards. Or an Assassin could run afoul with the Guild and find a contract out on their head as well.

From the age of 18 - 22, Connor was at the height of his game and feel ever further into a deadly game. His jobs quickly shifted from Guild Warfare and small time targets to the big leagues - contracts taken out by one noble against another. Here, treading carefully was the only way to survive, but soon Connor's name grew - the Shadow, as he was called, due to his uncanny stealth and impossible shots that he made, along with his ability to avoid detection by those with magic. But with great Fame comes great Danger and it wasn't long before Connor discovered that a contract was out for him.

Connor had remained friendly to those who had shown him kindness and knew that gifting the street urchins that he had run along with as a youngster was a good way to get information that was otherwise hard to obtain. They were also good at creating distractions for him and seemed to know things before anyone else did. It was through the Urchins that he first learned that a contract was out for his head and he ambushed the Assassin sent to kill him, hoping the rest would get the message. But for people in that line of work, danger was half the fun, and being able to claim the head of one of the most feared Assassins in recent memory would be a great honor indeed.

Connor managed to stay in the city for a few more months, fending off the attacks that became more frequent. Soon enough, though, the city was far too dangerous for him to remain in, especially at night. He made one last hurrah, assassinating the head of the Guild he had once worked for in an attack that would forever live on in legend. Instead of calming things down, though, it stirred a hornets nest. During the night that would be forever remembered as 'The Flight of the Shadow', Connor escaped what seemed like every Assassin, Cuthroat, and Guild Member in the city looking for him.

It was certainly a close thing, though he'd never admit it. Connor hit the road running and has never stayed in one place for too long, least his past finally catch up to him. But now that he is on his own, he has been able to learn more about his father and the rumors that swirl about the 13th Legion. With a full coin purse, and taking on the occasional job along the way, Connor has made it to Tetrarch - the last place he ever imagined himself going to - and has decided to put some distance between himself and his enemies by heading out into the Wilds. Why not search for his father and the legion, perhaps adding another ounce of Legend to 'the Shadow of Ribenheim' while he is at it?

Personality: Connor is wary of strangers - for good reason - and is rather cautious in new places. Old habits die hard and he is always on guard, only ever half asleep with one eye open and a dagger within reach of his hands. Despite this, there is also a hint of nobility to his hard shell, charismatic and charming while also intelligent and friendly. He values loyalty above all else but knows all too well that too much fame can break such loyalty.

Major Skills: Stealth Skills (Sneak, Climbing, Hide), Archery, Swordsmanship
Minor Skills: Alchemy, Acrobatics
Innate Abilities: True Shot, Detect Magic

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

RedEve

So... Does this mean the characters from the other group are not admissable?
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

MagicalPen

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

MagicalPen

This version of the game is still in need of characters.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

AngelicBlade

MagicalPen

This game does need more players, but I'm the only one so far.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

AngelicBlade

I see, well that's alright. I hope given time that interest shall grow considering how fleshed out your world is. Also quick question! Is the 13th Legion suppose to be like the Roman 13th Legion?

MagicalPen

More like the 9th Legion (as seen in the 'Eagle of the Ninth' book).

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

AngelicBlade

So does that mean the Kingdom of Ribenheim is a lot like Rome in terms of arms, armor, and architect?

MagicalPen

More so the makeup of architecture and culture (to an extent). Arms and Armor are much more medieval.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

MagicalPen

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry