A Greek of Thrones {Interest Check}

Started by Primarch, February 09, 2014, 04:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wargtass

Quote from: mia h on February 11, 2014, 02:39:10 PM
So no actual magic and a bunch of seers making vauge predictions about the future  ;D Seems about right

Yes please. : D
O/O

Primarch

Okay so I think there's some consensus concerning the amount of magic in the setting. I'll hopefully get up character sheets and dynasty sheets today, but please bear with me if I don't. My better half is visiting from a foreign country this week and its the first time we've been together in about six months so we're trying to pack in as much of the sight seeing and what not.

But once we sit down long enough I'll try get everything together.

mia h

If you haven't seen them for six months and you can find time to sit down and mess around on E then you are doing something wrong  :P
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Primarch

Apologies for the delay. Application sheet is up for the 'Dynasty' creation. Character apps coming soon.
At least once a few Dynasties are in place others can take an interest.

Wargtass

Dynasty Name: Epirotes
Traditional Title(s): Kingdom of Epirus, Frontier League
Current Patriarch/Matriarch: Bircenna, Queen of Epirus
Major City/Polis: Apollonia
City Assets: Very little in terms of economic value. Several stable treaties with lesser dynasties around the frontiers to the north brings in some agricultural boons, but not much more.
Surrounding landscape: The small city is surrounded by wineyards that produce Apollonian wine, a sweet wine popular among the Epirotes and the Illyrian tribes to the north. East of the city, in the mountain range, is the ancient and revered Oracle of Dodona and its nearby village, which is just about the only source of prestige left in Epirus.

Dynasty Strengths:
+ Friend of lesser men: Ever since the catastrophic campaign against the upstart Romans on the Italian Penninsula, the Epirotes have fought tooth and nail to remain strong in the face of the other city-states, lest they come to feast on the carrion. As such they began a serious campaign to improve their relations with the Illyrian, Dacian and Gallic tribes to the north. Indeed, the current matriarch of the Epirotes is of Illyrian decent, wife of Pyrrhus and after his death the Queen of Epirus. With the promises and apparent familiar ties, the armies of the Frontier League are filled to the rim with fierce barbarian warriors and are large source of the fear and respect that remain for Pyrrhus' legacy.
+ United we are strong: While the other city states merely turned their backs on the villages and towns of the northern frontiers, the Epirotes have always seen to their best interest and taken note of the potential riches in the region. There is a loyalty between these border regions that other states find tough to rival and they stand united against barbarian raiders from the north and potential usurpers to the south. While the Frontier League lack any major polis, their lands stretch from Apollonia across the Paeonian and Thracian mountains to the Black Sea, making it the largest of the current Greek states with influences both in the Adriatic, Ionian and Black Seas.
+ Defenders of Dodona: The Oracle of Zeus at Dodona is the oldest and one of the most prestigeous of all the Greek Oracles. It has been under the protection of the Epirotes as long as anyone can remember and it is considered a great honor among the people of Epirus and even their allies along the Frontier are proud to be part of its defence. While their barbarian warriors surely respect such an obviously wise and divine connection to the gods and nature, the greeks in the Frontier armies fight with a fervor that, while not as skillful, rivals that of even Sparta.

Dynasty Weaknesses:
- Barbarian ilk: Even though only a few generations have passed since the entwining of the Epirotes and barbarians of the north, it is already showing on their bloodline through the cultural and personal wedlock between the two. Most men and women of Epirus have come to favor martial skill and brutal cunning over the diplomacy and scholastic pursuit of their southern cousins. Indeed, some have even cast off their togas for pants and tied their unnaturally long hair into braids. To say the least, many "proper" Greeks see them as having gone barbarian and mock them openly for it, at least when their backs are turned.
- Heritage of Pyrrhus: Pyrrhus catastrophic victory on the Italia Penninsula makes itself constantly reminded in and without the courts of the City States. Even now that the man himself is dead, his name weighs heavily on the prestige of the dynasty of the Epirotes and the Frontier League itself. Even worse, the Romans have yet to forget the slight that Pyrrhus caused them, and Apollonia is the closest port from the Roman city of Brundisium...
- Thinly spread: While the Frontier League enjoys vast space and a reputation to match, they are just not strong enough to cover all the ground that they have. Their armies spread thinly and while they have used barbarian warriors to fill out the holes, it begs the question; is a state really civilized at all when the majority of their population and soldiers are not even Greeks at all?

Recent History:

Anything else:
Any other information or details you would like in place

Update upcoming.
O/O

Ironwolf85

Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

sansa

O/O
Hello E friends. For those who've role played with me, I disappeared for a while due to lack of access to a computer and personal issues. Life has calmed down and I now have access to E and inspiration has struck me again. :)

Vassus

Alright, being a lover of history and politics, I have to state a definite interest. If the two people behind me don't adopt a dynasty, I'd defiantly like to start one.
E-Mail: radically.irrelevant@gmail.com

Did you know: "polish" is a word that completely changes it's meaning when you capitalize the first letter?

Primarch

Hey guys, first of all apologies for the delay. My girlfriend decided we should go on a break and it rather blindsided me. Its been bit if a distraction. If you those that have already expressed interest are still interested, if you could please post here to let me know that would be great.

To those that just posted, there is definitely room. If you want to adopt a Dynasty just say so otherwise I would recommend you get into contact with someone that has.

mia h

Still interested, just a little busy for the next few days
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Wargtass

I'd like to request a player for the ruler of the Epirote Dynasty, the Illyrian-born Bircenna, Queen of Epirus. I'd rather just sit back as some sort of adviser or Strategos for this and pull some strings every now and then and leave the actual ruling to someone else. I need a proper warrior queen à lá Boudica for this dynasty, with a whole lot of pathos and fierce dramatic weight to throw around. A badass queen, simply put!  ;D
O/O

Caela

Marking this for interest but I have to work the next couple of days so I won't be really able to delve into it unti lFriday!

Belisuavious

If there's still a dynasty spot open, here's an application.

If not, I'll happily join a house that wants to swell their ranks

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Dynasty Name: Kolokotroni
Traditional Title(s):Tariasian Republic
Current Patriarch/Matriarch: Theodors Kolokotronos
Major City/Polis: Taris
City Assets: Vineyards as far as the eye can see, Big fleet
Surrounding landscape: Taris the island is a relatively large island just off the coast. It is relatively flat, though the northern end is thickly forested.

Taris the city is a large walled city of approximately 2.000 citizens and a floating population of another 1.000 or so resident aliens, here on business, pleasure or a bit of both.

A scattering of villas administer to the vineyards and woodcutting, as well as acting as the centres for the various villages on the island.

Dynasty Strengths:
+ Merchant Marine – To be a Tarisian is to be a sailor, and all but the newborns and the younger toddlers know the rudiments of being aboard a galley, as well as a passing knowledge at least of how to swim.

+ Vineyards and Vintners – The other thing Tarisians are famed for is their wine, both the quality and quantity. While other places may make wine of a middling status, everyone knows that Tarisian wine is the drink of choice.

+ Mighty Fleet – The Tarisians are great sailors, and have one of the mightiest fleets in the area. While only the nobles and the richer citizens may know how to fight as proper hoplites, almost every Tarisian man knows how to fight in the chaos of a boarding action or barroom brawls, courtesy of firsthand knowledge from the seas and taverns across the known world.

Dynasty Weaknesses:
+ Republic in name only – While the Tarisians are a republic, and they do have elections to decide their ruler, the Kolokotroni family has been in power for generations. While the majority of people are happy with the way things are going, there is certainly a lot of political chafing among the upper class and nobility

+ Filthy Foreigners – Despite, or perhaps because of, their relatively low population, the Tarisians are leery about accepting new citizens into their city. Most cases require that both parents are Tarisian, though in special circumstances they may only require one. The number of times citizenship has been granted to those with no previous Tarisian background can be counted on a single hand.

+ Hungry Hungry People – The island of Taris cannot feed itself. They can produce some of the required luxury goods but for staples like bread, they rely almost exclusively on exports. They are loathe to surrender their vineyards to any other purpose, and even when the island was blockaded and starving early in its history, everyone could still get drunk.

Recent History: (TBD)

Anything else: (TBD)