Old World of Darkness Game: The Isle of Avalon

Started by Sabriel, September 23, 2011, 07:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabriel

Hello there

So I am usually plotting several World of Darkness ideas and plots in my silly head and well I am always pondering on the point of getting one going on here, it is been sometime since I acted as a storyteller for such but on the web it has been pretty much the primary way I have been involved in OWOD. 

Instead of proposing one of my ideas for a story however I thought it would suit better to find a group of players first, as the story always evolves around players anyway it would make more sense for me to pick the most fitting tale and setting based upon the interest and types of players I can gather.

Some important things to know

I do not accept silly concepts or weird ass characters if I don't think your concept or character will fit ill say so, all characters I accept will be newly created and done so using the same rules as everybody else. There will be no weird bloodlines, no Fera in a non Fera game, etc.

This will be World of Darkness not a World of Disney game, that means horrible things could happen I may not be nice if you do something that may get you killed your liable to get killed. Some of the story ideas I have may involve dark paths too and could involve characters becoming involved in monstrous and horrific things or actual monsters themselves.

I am not strict on people posting like immediately as soon as I or someone else has, I like to keep things going but I understand that not everybody has time and well I have lots of patience. I will try post whenever I can and whenever it is appropriate but I would only expect others to do so when they have the time.

I will probably handle all the system bits myself and rely on the storyteller aspect heavily for most things, I would only make rolls when it was entirely necessary.  I.E if there was a car chase I would not roll for it most likely but determine the outcome from the varying abilities of those involved etc.  So sheets will be a guideline most of the time and the game won't be system heavy hopefully and only called upon when absolutely necessary. 

I would like players who will interact with one another and actually work together too.

OK well I think thats enough babble from me ill open it up for people to discus and well ask me questions or whatever.

Update: As there seams a lack of interest in the vampire side of things, I am proceed with the focus on the Garou.  I may open up a storyline for vamps at latter date.

TheHangedOne

I'd be interested in this. Possibly as a human Sorceror (or just a Human gifted with Numina/Psychic powers), or a Ghoul.

I think a post apocalypse (Post Gehenna?) game would be interesting. I also, personally, have no love of Werewolf, and won't play if it becomes heavily focused on that, but hey, if that's what the majority wants, don't let me hold ya'll back.  :-)
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

rhev

I would be interested in the first or third of those choices.  Though the fourth sounds intriguing.  Post apocalyptic as in after a nuclear war, or as in say... post Gehenna?

I'm a huge fan of clan Malkav, and don't play the crazy raving lunatic.  I find the clan most interesting in not falling into stereotypes while still being complely under the sway of the curse of Malkav.  I played a Malkavian who was obsessive compulsive.  Seemed mostly normal, until you realized he couldn't leave a house without locking and unlocking a door four times each or counting the stairs as he walked up and down them. 

I do also love the idea of playing a mortal in a world of darkness... as long as we have an idea that the darkness exists.  Being a clueless human in that world seems pointless / doomed to be a brutally short life.

As for giving control over to the storyteller, I have complete faith in the story teller as far as rolling dice, being fair, etc.  For me, the Game's the thing.

TheHangedOne

Quote from: rhev on September 23, 2011, 08:47:52 PM
I played a Malkavian who was obsessive compulsive.  Seemed mostly normal, until you realized he couldn't leave a house without locking and unlocking a door four times each or counting the stairs as he walked up and down them. 
Nicely done, man. Most people can't pull off a good Malk, but it sounds to me like you've done just that. Was  he fixated with numbers, too?
Check out my poet tree!

Sabriel

Thought id answer some things here

Quote from: TheHangedMan on September 23, 2011, 08:25:58 PM
I'd be interested in this. Possibly as a human Sorceror (or just a Human gifted with Numina/Psychic powers), or a Ghoul.

I think a post apocalypse (Post Gehenna?) game would be interesting. I also, personally, have no love of Werewolf, and won't play if it becomes heavily focused on that, but hey, if that's what the majority wants, don't let me hold ya'll back.  :-)

OK so a human sorcerer id only allow in a few of the story ideas I have really, the most likely of which would be the post apocalyptic one. Although it may also work with the mortal game ideas I have although you would not be likely to start of as such a character but grow into it. I would allow a Ghoul in a Vampire game of course but likely not a sorcerer it would probably get messy, much like I would not allow a Fera in a Werewolf game heh. Basically I will want everyone to be of similar things, so ghouls in a vampire game is fine, Kinfolk in a Werewolf game yeah but nothing beyond that really. The Post Apocalyptic thing is the one thing however where crossover type situations would be more plausible, since in that setting it would not be such an issue.

Quote from: rhev on September 23, 2011, 08:47:52 PM
I would be interested in the first or third of those choices.  Though the fourth sounds intriguing.  Post apocalyptic as in after a nuclear war, or as in say... post Gehenna?

I'm a huge fan of clan Malkav, and don't play the crazy raving lunatic.  I find the clan most interesting in not falling into stereotypes while still being complely under the sway of the curse of Malkav.  I played a Malkavian who was obsessive compulsive.  Seemed mostly normal, until you realized he couldn't leave a house without locking and unlocking a door four times each or counting the stairs as he walked up and down them. 

I do also love the idea of playing a mortal in a world of darkness... as long as we have an idea that the darkness exists.  Being a clueless human in that world seems pointless / doomed to be a brutally short life.

As for giving control over to the storyteller, I have complete faith in the story teller as far as rolling dice, being fair, etc.  For me, the Game's the thing.

So this is my brief blurb about the Post Apocalyptic thing it mentions some various factors relating to a few of the supernatural types, it is not really focused on any of them they just happen to be the ones Ive mentioned. 

“Post Apocalyptic” old world of darkness game, the setting obviously will be vastly different to any published material. But the general themes and elements will mostly still be present. In this world the Garou are a broken and shattered people, with tribes and auspices becoming an almost meaningless thing there culture is in ruins and the spirits are silent. Yet they survive and some strive to discover there heritage and take back the fight or find new purpose in the world. The Kindred fare no better there own history and linages are just as tattered and broken, no Elder's remain or have been found to speak of the times before. Mage's struggle to master there arts and understand what happened to the world, while mortals try there best to survive and rebuild all across the globe. A dark era has come upon the world, civilization has become a meaningless concept, survival and escape from the horrors of the new world are the only concerns of mankind. The supernatural is no longer just a myth, the masquerade is barely kept or seen at all as a thing of relevance. Kindred freely roam and rule over mortal dwellings as other supernatural factors build there own factions and strongholds within the world. The Umbra is a dangerous and dark place that few can reach or survive in these troubled times, those that journey there rarely return and those that do are almost always changed and touched by the harrowing experience. There are few who know the truth of how the world became as it was, many remember horrific scenes and tales but all are garbled and few can be sure of the truth, yet seemingly there are forces at work within the world who thrive in the conditions.

So basically the post apocalyptic thing is a bit of all of the End times things in a way as well as the possibility or war and such heh, in actual fact part of the theme of it is that few people actually know what happened people are still trying to figure that out.  I mean even most of the Kindred that exist in this world are kinda clueless as to there history, there are a few that remember but most are those embraced in this new era and they know nothing of before and don't particularly care. In the setting there is a bit of a reversal of the curse of Caine, those of weak blood are actually more powerful in some ways than those of stronger blood they are more numerous too truly the Thin Blooded rule the era. 

When I say more powerful btw I don't actually mean in a sense that they posses greater powers as such, but the curse has less effect upon them and there weak blood is an actual advantage to them.  Although my way of working this does actually mean you have to actually buy being of lesser blood at creation just as you might buy being more than 13th standard :P

Your Malkavian sounds like the kind of Malkavian I prefer hehe :)

As for the mortal thing you may not be entirely aware of the supernatural from the get go but you would discover it as part of the story, in all the ideas I have for mortal things the supernatural will be involved and discovering it and becoming wrapped up or involved in it will play a large part of it.  It won't just be mundane soap opera life in the world of darkness blissfully unaware and never knowing about any supernatural things :P

Also the system thing with me is not about having control or anything heh I just felt it would be less distracting and make things run more smoothly if I could keep all the system fluff out the way, Id quite happily have people do it themselves I just like to keep things going without distraction and such.  It would be quicker for me to use the storyteller method and well when needed do the rolls so that there was no waiting etc, I can always inform of the details or show them hehe although keeping them secret does sometimes provide some advantage it adds a bit of suspense too ;D

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Sabriel on September 23, 2011, 09:55:15 PM
Thought id answer some things here

OK so a human sorcerer id only allow in a few of the story ideas I have really, the most likely of which would be the post apocalyptic one. Although it may also work with the mortal game ideas I have although you would not be likely to start of as such a character but grow into it. I would allow a Ghoul in a Vampire game of course but likely not a sorcerer it would probably get messy, much like I would not allow a Fera in a Werewolf game heh. Basically I will want everyone to be of similar things, so ghouls in a vampire game is fine, Kinfolk in a Werewolf game yeah but nothing beyond that really. The Post Apocalyptic thing is the one thing however where crossover type situations would be more plausible, since in that setting it would not be such an issue.
Completely understandable.

Hmm, I'm not too keen on the post apocalyptic idea, honestly. It's just not getting its hooks in me.  :-\ 

Playing a modern day campaign seems very appealing to me right now, as I suddenly got the idea for a character who works for a small "Occult" magazine (99% of their stories are bullshit; it's nothing taken too seriously), and how this particular journalist might just end up finding out something he wasn't meant to know...  haha.

Then again, playing a Sorceror who is just beginning his trek down the road of Path Magick sounds highly appealing, too.  I'd probably go Alchemy or enchantment in that case, as a primary Path.
Check out my poet tree!

Muse

I adore Werewolf the Wild West and have never been able to play, only run.  ^_^;; 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

rhev

Quote from: TheHangedMan on September 23, 2011, 09:45:11 PM
Nicely done, man. Most people can't pull off a good Malk, but it sounds to me like you've done just that. Was  he fixated with numbers, too?

No.... music actually.  Beatles songs especially drove him into a state of complete distraction.  It got to the point where the other PLAYERS in the game... not just their characters... were convinced that my Malk knew something that he wasn't telling them and it was tied to "Hey Jude."   It helped that the story teller in the game would often pass me notes every half hour or so.  A lot of the times the notes just said "this is a note"   But sometimes they were insight i gained with eyes of madness.  So the other players never knew when I had relevant information and when I was just being a OCD whackaloo that would kill someone to get double AA batteries for his disc man.

Senti

You know I am in :), and I love werewolf, though can turn my hand to most.

As you know I am easy....but not that way...he he he

Sabriel

Quote from: Senti on September 24, 2011, 03:49:41 AM
You know I am in :), and I love werewolf, though can turn my hand to most.

As you know I am easy....but not that way...he he he

Hehe well your always welcome to get involved and you are already aware of a few of my ideas I believe since I know Ive mentioned them to you probably.

Kate

If its a dark age or medevil fantasy setting im all there if i can be a vampire.

Sabriel

I have added a poll so that I can get some clear idea of what  people would be most interested in, everybody can vote twice so if you have multiple preferences you can choose between two or give your votes to just the one.

Kate

it can be primarily werewolf with some vampires or vice versa or both ?

Sabriel

Well if people ask for a Vampire game the only player characters I will allow will be Vampires and perhaps Ghouls, I will not allow anything else as it will cause awkwardness everybody will be the same thing.  If I am doing a Vampire game it will be about Vampires not about all the Kindred and that one Garou who for some bizarre reason hangs around with a few Kindred :P

The post apocalyptic game would be the thing where crossover would make more sense, and well the mortal game may have the possibility of ending up with a minor bit of such.

The reason Ive given two votes is so that you can have two preferences or commit entirely to one.

I am open to other suggestions which is why I put the other option so If someone proposes a crossover sort of thing that makes sense ill come up with something for that if it makes sense and is a popular choice.

CShades

I'd love a post apocalyptic game with WoD elements. It would pretty much allow for any kind of interactions between different monsters and people, perhaps even harking back to the Dark Ages books rather than the oWoD ones.  (Dark Ages Vampire, anyone?)  I call Tzimisce. Or a Revenant. 

"The next time I kill you, I promise you the labyrinth that consists of a single straight line that is both invisible and endless" ~Jorge Luis Borges.

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

BenedictWolfe

I would probably be interested in a modern day Masquerade game, depending on the set up.

grovercjuk

I am always interested in a Werewolf game if that is what you end up running.

AndyZ

I've had the idea for some time now about a Toreador who owns a nightclub.  If we do VtM modern, I'll likely go for that idea.

Dark Ages, I'm not overly great on the styles and methods appropriate to the age, but I'd absolutely love to give that a shot as well.  No idea what I'd play though.  I'd need an awesome idea to build from first.

As far as Werewolf, that's one of the oWoD games that I have the least familiarity with, but I'd still be happy to play.  Probably a Uktena, possibly Bone Gnawer, maybe a Stargazer if they're allowed.

Not as much interested in just a mortals game, although if that's what everyone else wants, I would rather play than be left out.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Sabriel

So far it looks like Vampire and Werewolf are the most popular with Vampire leading the way by 1 vote at present hehe.

With either I can easily do something in modern or dark age etc, ill base the decision on what people would prefer to do.

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

Sabriel

Based on the votes presently my thinking has been going two ways and as per usual with my peculiar trains of thought Ive spiraled my ideas into a third idea.

It would take some work and setup for me to do but the idea and possibility of doing a story of two halves does have intriguing possibilities, what I mean by this is that the idea occurs to me that it could be plausible for a story where there was two groups. On the whole the story would then have a wider scope with it being about more than one venue and there side of the story, so it could say be one side is the exploits of a group of Kindred in said city and the other is the activities and story of a pack of Garou etc. They may never actually meet one another but there actions may effect each other and can be represented in the story etc.

It would be a challenge for me to do this although I have juggled the running of several stories and venues before on chats, so it would not be entirely strange for me although doing it on a forum would be a first for me hehe. 

I thought id share this idea anyway to see if it appealed if not I am quite fine just sticking to one venue, it just occurred to me that it could prove an interesting thing to do if done properly.

grovercjuk

So they would share the city but may never interact directly? That could be very interesting, I would prefer to play modern era Werewolf by choice but will go with the majority choice.

Sabriel

Yes that would be the basic idea, they may not even actually share the city as such the city will likely be the prime domain of the Kindred.  The Garou may just be nearby and it be the nearest city they may have interests and some influence kinfolk etc there, there might be a minor Caern there but I picture more of a rural thing as the base of the Elders and such of the local Garou. 

What it would be is that things in the area will affect both perhaps and each others actions may occasionally be of note to one another, I would not entirely rule out no interaction between them ever but if there was such it would probably be a rare thing and not like they would be meeting up in coffee shops or going out on the town together or attending the Toreador's latest social occasion  :P

AndyZ

I'd be up for this if you feel that you can pull it off.

Do you have a particular messenger that you want us to send character concepts to and such?

Miyu

I voted for the first and second options, if you managed to get a group together let me know ^^

Sabriel

When it's decided entirely on what we are doing I would prefer concepts be discussed in here and well characters can be available to me either via pm or a online sheet, as long as I have a record I don't see a huge need to keep them secret however so a sheet/character thread could work too.

TheHangedOne

Hmm. Definitely interested. Now, to just see if a vampire comes along that needs a ghoul...  >:) Feel free to PM me if that catches your interest, anyone. Or just post here. I don't mind which.
Check out my poet tree!

AndyZ

If we go with Vampire the Masquerade, I have an idea for a Toreador who owns a nightclub and hotel named Nicole Fontaine.  She could use a ghoul to help manage everything but I'm not sure how much fun that would be to play.

With Werewolf or Dark Ages, I'm less decided, although it looks like we have 7 votes for Werewolf right now and that's winning out.

TheHangedOne

Hmm. Well, if it's a night club, having a Ghoul bouncer would be a wise investment, no? All that loyalty from the Blood Bond, plus the power that the blood gives him (though, beyond gaining 1 point of Potence, I need to refresh myself on the benefits and drawbacks of being a ghoul) makes him very good at his job. The manager of the place could very well be a ghoul, too, or just a human thrall, but that does sound boring.  Their's enough paper-pushing in my life already.  ;D
Check out my poet tree!

AndyZ

I could see how a ghoul bouncer could be fun and useful ^_^  Nicole is pretty soft-hearted, though, so she'd want you to be nice to the customers unless absolutely necessary.  Although she wouldn't watch 24/7 to make sure you were perfect to everyone...

Granted that the game may not go this route, but if we do, that's my idea.

TheHangedOne

Could be fun. I generally play characters at a Humanity 6 level; mostly-nice, ya know?

Yeah. If it goes the VtM route, I'd definitely like to do that. If it goes Werewolf... eh. That's just not my cup of tea.
Check out my poet tree!

Imogen

I'm definately interested in playing DA or modern day Vampire the Masquerade.

I'd like to go with possibly a Tremere, or a Ventrue. If the negotiations with Andy don't work, I'd like to add that neither of my char concepts would mind a ghoul, although belonging to the Tremere might make for some harsh rp. With each, it would be intention to embrace at a later date.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

TheHangedOne

Eeek. Tremere. One of the few clans that actually frightens me.  :D Although, in the end, I suppose I'll wait to see each of your characters, and go from there.
Check out my poet tree!

Senti

Miyu

if it goes werewolf are the other were's allowed? like the spider and such like that?

Sabriel

If it goes Werewolf or both as separate but related things then I won't likely be allowing Fera without very good reason, mostly because if its a Werewolf game it should be about a pack of Garou and thats hard enough to setup without a Ananasi/Bastet/Mokole/Carebear to worry about.

I don't even want to smell a whiff of Nuwisha, Rokea or Nagah concepts  ::)

Miyu

AndyZ

I think the "Both as separate" is the best bet, if Sabriel is capable of handling both at once.  If Sabriel is good with that, then I think we should follow that route.

How does everyone think?  Does anyone object to this idea?

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

Senti

OK well I shall be having a ninja/jedi/nuwishacrossed with a naga then is that ok :P?

Imogen

as long as seperate stays seperate. Having one storyline running at day and another at night hours can be a world of pain when they entwine.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Muse

*Chuckles* 

The only Fera who really get along well with the Garou anymore are the Corax (ravens). 

It would be fun to see one of them as an NPC crossing between both groups.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

AndyZ

Someday (although NOT in this game) I do want to try playing a Mokole or Nagah.  However, if we go present day VtM or city-mix, I'll be doing the high Humanity Toreador that I already told Sabriel about.  If we do WtA only, I'm not sure, but I'm pondering a Get of Fenris Galliard.

Muse

I still have wistful dreams of Werewolf the Wild West. 

Brand Foe-Hammer walked down the main street of the abandoned mining town, sniffing at the air and fingering his six shooter.  He didn't normally carry silver rounds, but for them damned injun garou--them 'Wendigo'--he'd make an exception. 

The Get of Fenris circled the town wearing his crinos form, with an iron rider girl named Nails at his shoulder, and no matter where he went, he couldn't catch there scent.  It was like the wind kept shifting... 

Shifting away from that old saloon! 

He spun, six iron drawn as the three wendigo lept through the second story windows, raining a spray of razor sharp shards over them. 

"Hold!" Another man bellowed, a voide they didn't know, stepping into the path of an arrow meant for Brand's chest while knocking his gun high so that fire belched towards luna and silver shot into the air like an ascending star. 

"My brothers and sister!" the injured Child of Gaia entreated them.  "Why do we fight amongst ourselves?  Have you not seen?  Not three miles from here, three dozen mockeries and a pack of black spiral dancers dig poisons out of the abandoned mines, and it is each other that we fight?

Kate

if 1/2 love werewolves and 1/2 love vampires ..

because they are bitter enemies it makes for a better rp in my opinion if both were ok... and that can only happen in a medievil / dark age setting.

.. my 2 cents. But sab may have a  desire to go one or the other hands down .. in which case any time line will be ok.

Sabriel

At the moment the votes seam to point towards werewolf being the most popular, with vampire second and the mortal thingy having snuck up close behind one vote away. 

I am quite happy to do just one story based upon one of the venues, doing it as two would be possible and more complex but I am sure it would be plausible if the players where there.  That is the one thing I am mostly unsure about with it, is that there would be enough players for each part of the story.  No point doing it if there is like two Kindred and three Garou, neither side is really balanced out for a good story it be better if to combine it into one thing which was focused then.

Quotebecause they are bitter enemies it makes for a better rp in my opinion if both were ok... and that can only happen in a medievil / dark age settin

I am not entirely sure I get what was meant by this, I am pretty certain It could work in any setting hehe actually I think it would be harder to do in dark ages. Since the Garou and Kindred stories would then probably end up being so separate they would actually be separate games, I mean its easy to do a dark age werewolf game where the Garou may never go into a human city.

The idea would not be however that the Garou group and Kindred group are at odds all the time and fighting against one another, it's unlikely that they are going to like each other of course but they probably would not be that aware of the other either.   

AndyZ

With 22 votes, there's at least 11 people interested.  That should be enough for a two venue game.

One suggestion for that would be to have a separate poll, asking what people would want to play:

• Vampire or ghoul
  • Werewolf or kinfolk
  • Happy playing either
  • Other, explained below

That would be a quick and easy way to find out how interested people are and if we have enough people for both a coterie and a pack.

I'm willing to play Werewolf if I'm outvoted, I just want to try this Nicole idea ^_^

Sabriel

Yeah I am not really sure that the votes or half the votes cast represent an accurate number of players that will actually end up playing.

And I am not really into the idea of doing another poll heh specially since anyone can vote, it would be easier probably just to have those interested tell me what they would be interested in playing now. Without any happy to do either or such since that does not really help with the decision and working out numbers if I was doing a split thing.

I think it would be a good point to include mention of preferred setting/faction or such too and perhaps a brief blurb about the character concept. Not expecting a full sheet or concept and history here at most a sentence or so just a few words to capture the concept and give me an idea.

So for example: "I would like to play a Brujah rights activist, in a Camarilla or Anarch game in the modern era."

AndyZ

I would like to play a high-Humanity Toreador who owns a nightclub and hotel, in a modern-day Camarilla or Anarch game.

Senti

Is the game going to be set in America...just checking.

Sabriel

Probably yes Senti, although that is something you can include in your preference for setting too if you wish  :P

Miyu

Its my own personal opinion but I think America its a too huge of a place for a setting in a story. How about a particular state like Vegas or Miami etc etc etc

grovercjuk

I would like to play a Bonegnawer Ahroun as for setting what ever our GM is familiar with is fine by me.

Sabriel

QuoteIts my own personal opinion but I think America its a too huge of a place for a setting in a story. How about a particular state like Vegas or Miami etc etc etc

Yeah I am pretty certain that Senti was just asking if the game would be based somewhere in America, I won't be setting it in something as general as such.  It will be based within a city, village, town etc the most id consider on a bigger scale would be a county in the UK or a small remote Island. Of course the story may not be entirely limited always to one city I would never rule out the possibility that some plot may take the characters elsewhere on occasion.     

AndyZ

If a lot of the werewolves want to play Bone Gnawers, Glass Walkers and the like, it may not even be that important for there to be a forest nearby.  However, that would also heighten the risk of crossing the streams.

If we do use an American RL city, though, it would probably be best to have a place which already has indigenous wolves.

Gray wolves live in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Minnesota, Michigan, and Wisconsin, at least according to http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080501153439AAhQKAF

That may not be as preferable, however, because the largest cities in those states are Milwaukee and Detroit.  Since vampires generally limit their population to one Kindred per 100,000 kine in a particular city, if I remember correctly (forget where I read that), neither of these would be particularly good places.

Somewhere in Europe would certainly be feasible, but I'm less knowledgeable about Europe beyond my various French classes.

I would actually suggest a fictitious city which is on the edge of a huge national park, and am willing to work on putting the basics of one together if this would be acceptable to everyone.

Sabriel

Yeah I think if there is a forest nearby or such is a moot point at present, if there is going to be a werewolf aspect it is likely to be set around either an urban caern or rural one as the focus so thus there would be natural scenery involved for certain then. 

It does not have to be a place with indigenous wolves either, that would only make Lupus more likely it does not rule out the existence or interests of Garou in the place. 

I have read something like that figure you mention before but I don't think it was in anything official and I doubt it really applies, I mean the Sabbat, Independents and Anarch's probably would not care to work something like that out. That figure is all about the risk of discovery basically not really anything to do with it take 100,000 people to support one Kindred  :P.

QuotePut simply, the Kindred discovered that a population of 100,000 can safely support a single vampire in pertuitam. Once can subsist on less by all means, with only slightly greater chances of risking detection, but 100,000 seems a good number. For every 1,000 people less than 100,000, the chance of detection grows by 1% per month. Thus, if a vampire lived in a community of 75,000 people, there is a 25% chance per month that someone will notice something wrong: an unexplained increase in violent crimes, people coming in, complaining about feeling weak and suffering from blood disorders.

It perfectly plausible that a small group of Kindred could exist on an island with a population of only 100, they would risk greater discovery but they probably also be a lot more sensible less psychopathic and a whole lot better at covering things up and dealing with problems. I mean in some sense the Kindred actually risk less discovery in small places sometimes, since it is a lot easier to control things on a smaller scale and not as many people are going to be paying attention. There is such a thing as overpopulation of course but usually the Prince or equivalent decides what that is.

I can not really see that limit thing working or being a general thing heh, I mean it would never have worked in the dark ages. 

AndyZ

I forget where I read the 100,000 thing.  It could very well be for Requiem.

Miyu

Do we have a timeline for this? setting? some info so I can start thinking of my char?

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Sabriel on September 29, 2011, 04:51:49 PM
It perfectly plausible that a small group of Kindred could exist on an island with a population of only 100, they would risk greater discovery but they probably also be a lot more sensible less psychopathic and a whole lot better at covering things up and dealing with problems.
In such a small setting, the prince might very well declare that everybody needed to bring in a ghoul, probably from outside the community (or else, have a good reason to acquire one from within the community), and say that they must subsist solely on their ghouls. It annihilates the whole having to seduce/force yourself on a human to drink problem, and people complaining of weakness, illness, etc., because the ghoul won't really care after a while.
Check out my poet tree!

AndyZ

Quote from: TheHangedMan on September 30, 2011, 03:32:49 AM
In such a small setting, the prince might very well declare that everybody needed to bring in a ghoul, probably from outside the community (or else, have a good reason to acquire one from within the community), and say that they must subsist solely on their ghouls. It annihilates the whole having to seduce/force yourself on a human to drink problem, and people complaining of weakness, illness, etc., because the ghoul won't really care after a while.

I don't think one ghoul would be enough to satisfy a vampire for the long term.

TheHangedOne

The flavor might get boring after a while, but really, a vampire only needs to consume 1 blood point a night (Or is it a week?), right? Plus more if they use Disciplines, but that would be a rare occasion in such a small population center, I'd imagine, and that's if it's a discipline that requires blood expenditure (most, if I remember correctly, don't).

And humans can safely give like 3 blood points in a 24 hour period, again, if I'm remembering things correctly. Which I may not be.
Check out my poet tree!

AndyZ

It's one point a night unless you achieve Golconda, and then it's one point a week.

As per the book, you can take 4 blood points from someone and they'll be fine, but that's 4 pints of blood missing from their body.  I think the average body has 8-10, though it counts as 10 blood points.  Let's say that a blood point and a pint are about the same.

It's generally common to donate blood, but they only will let you do so with several weeks in between, and then only one pint.  I think the required time to wait is 56 days, though I may be wrong about that.

I don't think Vampire the Masquerade ever gave specific rules on it.  In Vampire the Requiem, you could regain a blood point every 2 days, though that was more because they registered it as lethal damage.  If Sabriel went with that route, then it'd be possible with two ghouls, assuming that the vampire gives the monthly blood and immediately takes blood back, and then never used any blood for any other purpose.

Still, likely a moot point, since it'd come down to Sabriel's decision.

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

AndyZ

Sabriel

Bellow is one possible brief on the setting for this and such, this is not a fixed thing at present but well since someone has asked me about such and I have had little input from others about what they would like to see so far ill throw it out there hehe. 

I am still open to people tell me want sort of setting/time period etc they would prefer, this is just one possible thing and well it is rather weird and niche it does pose options for both Garou, Kindred and even kine story heh.

I shall commence with my weird and crazy setting idea anyway

The Isle of Avalon

The setting for this story takes place and is focused on a fictional island situated of the north eastern coast of the UK (Scotland  in particular).  The island itself is surrounded in mystery and myth and few that know of it can be sure if the island draws it's name from the myth or the myth draws some of its legend from the island itself.  Avalon is a peculiar island and its existence is a closely guarded secret and mystery to many, few supernatural's understand how or why but its very existence seams hidden from mortal knowledge.  There are many rumours that explain such but none can truly be trusted as the truth and perhaps there is more than one simple explanation, regardless the island has long been a sanctuary to a group of camarilla kindred who have built a society upon the isle and maintained its secretive existence with an iron grip.  It is one if not the most strictly controlled and efficiently maintained gatherings of both kine and kindred known amongst the camarilla,  that is not to say it is not without it's problems but it's methods and influence over the mortal populace is hard to match in this modern era.  It is said that the kindred community was first formerly founded by kindred from the clan's ventrue, toreador and tremere, these three clans seamed to have worked efficiently to build a functioning community that exists almost outside the rest of the mortal world. The island's security and distance is an appeal to many kindred although it is not without it's disadvantages,  island life is not easy and the kindred of the island have discouraged the advance of society stepping into life on the island to many modern kindred can seam like stepping back in time.  Some would also find the rules of the kindred far more restrictive and strict than those of other cities and the opportunity for growth, power and even escape far less open. 

The island itself society wise seams stuck mostly in the mould of old fashioned villages and communities oddly not all seam to be in the same era which are dotted about the island, to say it can be startling to a newcomer is an understatement. Although there are multiple communities within the island there is only one prince who claims stake to the whole of the island, the kindred spread themselves about within these communities and meet up for regular gatherings and secretive meetings within the specially selected locales.  The island is a lush green land with forests, lakes and valleys ,its cliffs are a intimidating sight littered with caves and crevices the sea bellow dotted with jagged rocky teeth. Many large rocky islands are found of the coast and even a few smaller land masses, some of them even claimed as havens by the  kindred.  It is believed that a vast network of caves and tunnels exist beneath and throughout the island although few but the nosferatu can ever vouch to having seen and travelled many of them.

Technology and the Island

Technology is strictly controlled upon the island and kept secret from most mortals, there are no mobile phones any that are brought to the island do not work. Radio and television signals other than those produced upon the island are non receivable, weapons are regulated by the island's government and the prince or the locals of a particular area. In general there are few firearms upon the island and those there are imported illegally or outdated, computers and such devices do not tend to exist upon the island other than in the hands of the supernatural. Despite these limits on technology there are minor elements of industry in places upon the island and there is an import and export of goods and services, although most of these are illegal activities conducted by the supernatural.

The effects of the Island on outsiders

Outsiders are a rare thing on the island and those that come to it rarely leave and when they do leave they rarely remember anything of it, the island can seemingly do strange things to the mind from driving kine insane to making them forget everything and anything about themselves and the place itself. Quite why the island remains unknown to the mortal world and even the supernatural to a large degree is not known but highly speculated upon. 

The Kindred

The kindred of the island are a rather select and selective group none can reside within the island's confines safely without the say so of the prince and primogen, exile from the island rarely ends nicely although it is not always final. Those seeking admittance are allowed a temporary stay, if they remain beyond this welcome they are politely reminded of the consequences. All those accepted to stay upon the island become a part of it and are given a territory in which they may reside as well as a mark of there place in the society. All kindred are expected to wear this mark, which is always some form of jewellery. It identifies them to the other Kindred of the island preventing unfortunate accidents and seams to have some sway and significance over the mortal population. The actual sway it has over mortal's is nothing to do with being kindred or even supernatural in origin of course, but  it plays its part in the controlling factors of the island as a symbol of authority. The clan's seam to co-operate in relative peace although the brujah and outcast gangrel have been becoming more of an issue and concern of late, more common are the threats of the sabbat or those of a non kindred nature. Nobody is quite sure why the sabbat would have any real interest in the island or its kindred, but seemingly at random over the centuries  roaming packs have infiltrated and made excursions onto the island.  What is a secret to many is that the island is used as a dumping ground and place of interrogation and punishment for some of the camarilla's “unwanted”, unknown to all but the prince and the progeny the island often takes in “prisoners”  or “exiles” from mainland UK or even further afield. The reasons remain a mystery to even the primogen.  There is supposedly no other kindred on the island but some doubt that the scourges could truly account for every rogue, a common rumour is of wild and underground kindred who live in the wilderness or the caverns beneath the island.  These rumours are quickly quashed and never taken seriously by the prince, the rogue gangrel who where once a part of the kindred structure are usually to blame. 

The Clan's of Avalon

Ventrue

The ventrue oddly are few in presence upon the island despite the fact that one of them is prince, there is no primogen of the ventrue clan because of the lack of presence. The princes influence regardless is felt throughout the island and he seams aptly placed and prepared to hold and control his miniature kingdom of kine and kindred.

Toreador

The Toreador a more numerous clan than the ventrue but far from the most numerous amongst the clans  present, they hold considerable power and sway over many aspects of the mortal society on the island and seam oddly content to work with the ventrue and even tremere to maintain it.  A fact not known to many among the island is that many of the families that live on the island bare relation and connection to the Toreador who where involved in the founding of the islands structure.  As such it has become quite common for some kine to become “untouchable” or “protected” more than one kindred has suffered because of his lack of restraint or poor choice in victims.

Tremere

The tremere supposedly out number almost every clan on the island although this is not a proven fact, this is probably due to the fact that the island itself is reputedly of great significance to them and home to a powerful chantry. Many kindred on the island dislike the tremere because they seam so useful and crucial to the island and prince's functions.

Malkavian

The malkavian presence is few in number and most are descended from the one malkavian who reportedly was one of the first “exiles” to be dumped there,  supposedly at some point they gained a place within the society itself and eventually sired  progeny. Many of the malkavian's reside within the islands prisons and asylum structures, not all remain in such locations but the prince is careful to watch for dangers and those who pose a threat to the masquerade or might arise suspicion in kine. These kindred are quickly restricted to places where there personalities won't be an issue. 

Nosferatu

The nosferatu are rarely seen and live almost in separation from the other kindred, they rarely make themselves known even when they do attend Kindred gatherings. Only at official gatherings do they  have an obvious presence although even then it seams they prefer to choose one individual, of course many believe that the rest simply choose to go unseen. The island does not have vast sewer networks although it does have them in part and as usual the nosferatu make use of these and the caverns and tunnels.

Brujah

The brujah have quite a presence and have been working on increasing there influence and power within the island for sometime, most of the brujah are relegated to living on the smaller land masses connected to the island here they plot and rant about changes they would like to make and there particular causes.  The brujah have never been content with the island it has never been what they would want and they strongly tend to believe they could do things better, most of them are convinced that the prince is a fool and that the island's power is long overdue a makeover.  A few of them actually seam to support the prince and attempt to gain the favour of the other clans and live in a less rebellious existence for awhile at least.

Gangrel

Since the gangrel quit the camarilla there place on the island has become one of exile, they are no longer considered a part of the kindred society and instead considered a threat to its existence.  It is not entirely known where all the gangrel that inhabited the island went but it is not believed that they have been entirely dealt with yet. 

Others

There are rumours of others on the island apparently have found some niche or way to go unnoticed, rumours of kindred who pay with service to remain upon the island and use it as a safe haven.  There is rumour that a family connected to the giovanni clan makes its home somewhere within the isle as well as the whispered tales of sabbat who have entrenched themselves beneath in the islands tunnels. Not all the rumours concern kindred of course some also whisper of lupines that have long made the island a home, that are as secretive as the kindred themselves with ties to the blood of island folk. Some even whisper of mortal sorcerers and ancient cults cultivated by the kindred or other vile forces, some even dare joke about what lurks in the depths beneath and around the island.

What I am looking for in players/writers

All players should be committed to the story, if you want to withdraw or discontinue with it you should say so.   

Responsibility for actions and reactions, any actions your character takes can and probably will have IC repercussions.

Detail and description character depth and motivation, I will expect everyone to at least try and make IC posts at minimum of  around 10 lines length.

Character creation

I will be assigning the character creation details to players based upon there concept and place upon the island, you may feel free to approach me with you own concepts for character ideas but if they make no sense or do not fit with the setting or may cause problems ill deny them outright.

Bellow are several base ideas for characters for the island these are just examples, some may seam to offer some advantage but they all come with a up and downside.  Those that seam most advantageous probably have the biggest down to them to, which may not be apparent at first.

Recently Embraced - You are one of the recently embraced of the island a member of the community by default, your Sire is someone of some influence and status in one of the clans on the island.

Elder in exile – You are an Elder Kindred having existed for many centuries you may have seen many things, your exile to the island could be for any number of reasons but it is not a fact that would be easily forgotten. The island grants you safety and a place in which to try rebuild some sense of former glory but you are closely watched and on thin ice with many boons to repay owed to the Prince and other Elders of the isle who continue to protect you.

Mystery Seeker- For some reason you where drawn to the island and are convinced of secrets and a wealth of lore that can be uncovered there, of course plying those secrets from the Kindred of the island or whatever else is harbouring them is the challenge.

Reformed Kindred – You where a prisoner sent or captured on the island and given a reprieve by the Prince you have since reformed your ways and are expected to be a model of society,  of course what service may be owed for your second chance is another matter.

Odd Kindred – You seek acceptance and life on the island for some bizarre purpose that Kindred would perhaps shun or ridicule you for elsewhere,  perhaps you are a Kindred who seeks to protect and keep alive his kine family.

Recently arisen – You are in torpor or worse staked, awakened on the island you find yourself in the curious position of being in an unfamiliar place and perhaps time.  Unsure of how you came to be there in the first place, now you must pay of the debt to those that awoke you and find a place in the society if the Prince can be convinced to allow you to stay.

Tradition's enforcer – You are a Kindred from the island or who has come to it to enforce the traditions and the laws of the island, you delight or find some cause in the direction and control of the populace and fixing issues that arise making sure that the society stays intact.

Missing –
Your missing someone important to you (or something), someone who came or was sent to the island and you haven't heard from them since, perhaps a progeny, sire, mentor even a ghoul or less significant creature. 

Clan's should be chosen primarily from the following list, anything else you can ask me about and propose but I will be liable to deny it. I probably may allow non Kindred characters, such as mortals, ghouls or revenants etc.

Brujah, Malkavian, Nosferatu, Toreador, Tremere, Ventrue, Caitiff, Gargoyle

I would like to prevent doubling up on the clans in play unless people plan to play progeny and sire, certain clans may have more restrictions on them than others. For example anyone wanting to play a gargoyle is going to be in service to the tremere by default.

The Garou

The Garou side of this storyline will focus upon a pack which has discovered the Isle or been sent to it, I may allow one or more characters to be from there also although they would have recently left for some reason and now be a part of a pack returning there.

The Garou will be interested in recent events concerning the island and its nature, the fact it is not a simple reflection in the umbra but a realm of its own which is hidden and hard to reach even for the most accomplished umbral explorers. Perhaps the pack have heard about the place from a Corax who happened upon the place or discovered lore of powerful Caern there and populace of Kinfolk and Garou secluded from the outside world, they may be more aware of recent events perhaps they know of some incident upon the island and are heading to deal with it. The place holds some mythical significance and mention in Garou lore with many stories of the so called Isle of Immortals cropping up in ancient tales, supposedly there is a wealth of history undiscovered about the place and something which has kept it and the island from the minds and notice of mortals and even the supernatural.

So the Garou story will focus more upon the pack and there reasons for going to the island which I will leave slightly open for players to insert there own ideas also, there is really many reasons why they may go there and it may not just be for one.  It could be something they are selected for or that they decided to do themselves it could be a quest a search, one reason they could be going there is because the place has a reputation among some as being a place where missing people go missing or seam to end up from all across the world.  They could be on the trail of some missing Kinfolk  and Elder who has wandered off and seemingly taken to travelling to this place, they could be following dreams and visions or believe some dire threat or great boon to Gaia both even may be found there.

Part of the Garou game will be the pack making a home for themselves on the island and finding a place a niche even, they may find a Caern there which may need there assistance or may even need to be rebuilt there may be kinfolk residents to the island who need protection. They may wonder how a large population of wolves remains existent upon the island and how it came to be there much like some of the other inhabitants, one thing is for sure they will become involved in the supernatural nature and goings on of the Island and play a part in it's changing ecology. 

AndyZ

Reading through the description of the island and the vampire stuff, it all looks pretty awesome, and I can certainly see my idea working well in it.

I didn't read up on the werewolf stuff for obvious reasons, but I have little doubt that it's likewise awesome as well ^_^

TheHangedOne

You've certainly put a lot of time and effort into writing that all out, Sabriel. It's beautiful, and makes me kind of sad to say this, but because of some RL issues,  I'm going to not play in this game. In fact, I've pretty much reduced my stuff here on E to one group game.
Check out my poet tree!

Sabriel

Quote from: AndyZ on September 30, 2011, 06:45:24 AM
Reading through the description of the island and the vampire stuff, it all looks pretty awesome, and I can certainly see my idea working well in it.

I didn't read up on the werewolf stuff for obvious reasons, but I have little doubt that it's likewise awesome as well ^_^

Thanks I am glad you like it and glad you think your idea will fit well, I can see it working well in the setting and possibly having some interesting challenges and moral decisions hehe.

Feel free to read it all too its not like I am revealing any massive cosmic secrets within that will ruin the story.

Quote from: TheHangedMan on September 30, 2011, 08:37:07 AM
You've certainly put a lot of time and effort into writing that all out, Sabriel. It's beautiful, and makes me kind of sad to say this, but because of some RL issues,  I'm going to not play in this game. In fact, I've pretty much reduced my stuff here on E to one group game.

Oh OK well I am sorry to hear that but I totally understand RL comes first and well thank you for letting me know, thank you for your comments also that is very flattering that you would think such and it is no trouble really I do enjoy doing such.

grovercjuk

Very well written most interesting. You write very well. The Garou would they be of one tribe? Reading the story it seems to suggest to me a Children of Gaia pack would be the type to go searching for such a place.

GlassWalkers would hate it and it is far too peaceful for Get pack and too rural for BoneGnawers.

Sabriel

Thank you :)

It does not have to be all Garou of one tribe, and I actually think I may not have put things across all that well if you think it's peaceful  :P

On the surface it may seam peaceful, but then I am sure that is what Sergeant Howie thought when he visited a rather peculiar island. I think he changed his mind when he ended up in a giant straw idol being burned alive  :P

The islands reputation for people going missing and turning up there does not tend to end with a happy ending, people who vanish and such are rarely found alive and if they are there never quite the same.

I can see perhaps why you think Children of Gaia from some of the things I spoke about, but well it's not like the place is a teddy bears picnic. There is terrible things brewing and happing in the place there is supposed to be Garou and Kinfolk there, there is information that would be of interest to many tribes and the possibility of threats and perhaps places and items of power of importance to the Garou Nation.  As I said I would like the players to decide on a reason why they may be going there there is a multitude of them, and ill discuss that further as we build a little pack but basically id want it to be what was most interesting to the pack and so they could have some primary goal to start with before they discover more.

I don't think the Glasswalkers would instantly hate the place either it is not beyond being totally devoid of interest to them, it is an island with both cities, villages and most importantly humans and kinfolk it may not be smothered by the Weaver's threads but there still there. I think actually the fact it is a bit backward and living in the past may actually be of more interest to the Glasswalkers than any other tribe, they might see it as something to try and change. There is industry there also it's just that most the places on the island are not up to modern standards, there is an Oil rig of shore and import and export business. It is simply cut of from the outside world and not so in touch with technology, which could be said for some countries and islands in the real world this just happens to have been cultivated and enforced by a supernatural presence  :P

To the Garou this island would have some significance in legends and tales and its past is not a particularity peaceful one, it is known as the Isle of Immortals and supposedly the resting place of wonders and evils of a past age. The Fianna would know tales of it from not only the Garou but from the Fae also and that it was once a powerful sacred site to them. The Get of Fenris I am sure would be interested in the tales of the place of the fact that there is the possibility of a powerful Caern there, of kinfolk and Garou who have been out of contact with the world.  Many Fianna, Get of Fenris and other tribes may have also likely fell in battle on the Isle in ages past, it's history and tales would tie in with the fallen tribe in part. The Garou who end up going to this place will know there is strange influences upon the island they will know that there is supernatural things at work there, that there are things upon the island that would probably be of interest to them.

I think the most unlikely tribes to want to go there are the Wendigo and Red Talons, there should be something of interest for each of the other tribes there, the point is it is sort of a place of legend now to some that may be silly but the Garou are a people who tend to know that some legends bare truths. I mean everybody knows the Isle of Avalon is not a real place is just a myth a fairy tale, it's been claimed to be in so many places there are many myths that surround it but everyone knows it's just fiction. It's not a real place just stories of a long lost age like the fae, dragons and monsters.

Any questions are welcome btw and I hope to work with the Garou players to help them create the pack and decide on things, if you want to come up with like strange myths or tales you may have heard about the island which may give you some personal reason please feel free to share them I think they could prove good plot hooks.  I mean one possibility is that some may have ancestors who had been upon the island previously, and well Ill probably provide some visions for the pack on some recent events :) 

Kindred feel free to ask me questions and such too of course.

AndyZ

Just to make sure, there's no phones, computers, elevators and the like whatsoever, right?  I can certainly work with that, it'll just be a minor challenge, and something that my character would be used to from living on the island.

Miyu

I seem to lost the book of Werewolf so I don't know how long it will be before I find it

Sabriel

Quote from: AndyZ on September 30, 2011, 06:25:18 PM
Just to make sure, there's no phones, computers, elevators and the like whatsoever, right?  I can certainly work with that, it'll just be a minor challenge, and something that my character would be used to from living on the island.

OK, basically it varies depending on where one is upon the island but generally there is some level of base technology and there is some more modern, it is just regulated by the Kindred or in the hands of other supernaturals. The main Kine on the Island live in a pre digital age with old switchboard telephones at the most which do not connect to the outside world, radio and tv exists but few watch the tv and there is not much on it given that the only channels are made by the inhabitants of the island. Mostly its like 1900-1950's type technologies if anything, the Kindred do however make use of more modern things the restriction is not so much there upon them or there places of residence etc it is simply cultivated by them. A fact that does not really bother most of them since there not exactly so eager to change with the times.

I hope that makes sense.

Quote from: Miyu on September 30, 2011, 06:27:08 PM
I seem to lost the book of Werewolf so I don't know how long it will be before I find it

I found an online version of the book that you can peek at I hope that helps.

Werewolf the Apocalypse Revised Edition

AndyZ

Quote from: Sabriel on September 30, 2011, 08:51:05 PM
OK, basically it varies depending on where one is upon the island but generally there is some level of base technology and there is some more modern, it is just regulated by the Kindred or in the hands of other supernaturals. The main Kine on the Island live in a pre digital age with old switchboard telephones at the most which do not connect to the outside world, radio and tv exists but few watch the tv and there is not much on it given that the only channels are made by the inhabitants of the island. Mostly its like 1900-1950's type technologies if anything, the Kindred do however make use of more modern things the restriction is not so much there upon them or there places of residence etc it is simply cultivated by them. A fact that does not really bother most of them since there not exactly so eager to change with the times.

I hope that makes sense.

Nicole probably won't have any computers or any such, although I may give her some if it'd be possible to get satellite reception for stocks and similar finances.  Otherwise she can have assistants or something that can cover it.

Depending on how much ignorant crossover there is, if we do end up with a Bone Gnawer, I'm sure that Nicole will eventually leave scraps for the poor, starving wolf-dog.  Or however the Bone Gnawer tribebook put it.

Senti

I will run a few ideas past you after the weekend...I have a few.

How are you about Lupus? Though it will likely be a homid.

Sabriel

Well I am not totally against people playing Lupus but well I would say they will be more difficult to portray, they may not likely be as likely to be interest in the island for some reasons that homids might. Although there is a population of wolves there so that may interest them alone, but well obviously they have to travel there but well if there part of a pack that could work.  So long as they don't behave perfectly like a human or act in ways that seam unfitting for a wolf and more fitting of a dog  :-)

Senti

As i say I have a few idea's most are homid. Just wanted to work things out.

Muse

*Bids the wild west a fond farewell with a single tear, then smiles and looks over this interesting setting.* 

Okay, I'm game.  :) 

Are you looking at starting characters? 

Is anyone interested in any particular auspice? 

Sabriel

Well if people want to do this setting and themed thing then it will be a bit different :)

Obviously there will be the Garou side and the Vampire side, providing that we get the players of course.

The vampires creation may not not be entirely with everyone portraying starting characters, although that is an option. But well some of the examples I gave for roles that could be portrayed within the story would not fit that so id handle that a bit differently, although there would be more advantage to being a starting character in most cases and any extra stuff people may get would be quite offset by the drawbacks. It depends on what people wish to go with really, I will award  maybe some extra freebies for great concepts and such if it fits the story but well as I mention there will be drawbacks to such things.

Basically unless there is some great concept and such Vampires will be standard rules except with an extra 20 freebies, to represent the fact that they have likely been around a bit longer. Of course if someone wants to play a recently embraced they forgo this but there be some advantage for it in game. 

Garou will be created normally but receive an extra 20 freebies also to represent some previous experience, and I may consider awarding more renown beyond the starting but not in a silly way. Basically I may let you start at Rank 2 or be not far from it, but well that is it really.

grovercjuk

I have toying with a Child of Gaia Ahroun with the basic concept below. Of course the Staff is a figment or is it at the GM choice.

The old Garou studied John, the light of the fire making shadows dance over him. “You live in the past John and that is not a healthy place to live.” John resisted the urge to stand and pace, “It is the island I am sure of it, everything I have read indicate it.”

Silence fell and to John it seemed to go on forever before Max replied. “When your ancestor returned from the Holy Land as they called it carrying what he had acquired from the Knights Templar it is true that he took it to an island.” John interrupted, “This Island I am certain.”

Max held up his hand, “It may be but what is known is that he never returned from the island. He was a great warrior and he did not return does that not give you pause?” Max shook his head, You are needed here and now, not chasing a legend in a place of legend.” John nodded, “I hear that or a variant from my Father and the other Elders, the past is gone, we fight for Gaia now and every Ahroun is needed.”

Then in a wistful voice, “But what Child of Gaia would not like to hold the The Staff of the Tree and wield against the Wyrm?” In a stronger voice he continued, “And even if the Staff is not there then something is, look at all the legends of the island.”

Max sighed, “You are going not matter what I say are you not?” John did not answer but his answer was written across his face.

Sabriel

Oh this sounds wonderfully perfect for the story and it is a great concept so far, I do indeed like it and Child of Gaia Ahroun can be so much fun.

One idea I was going to offer to you if people did not want characters to know each other immediately is that you may have assembled as a pack for the task of visiting the Island, you may have all shared visions each may having a reason to go there and eventually being gathered together and sent there as a new pack.

I am fine however with if you want to have been a pack for sometime, but well its another option and suggestion for the Garou.

Miyu

Sabriel

Well I or someone else I am sure would be happy to help with a concept and character if need be Miyu, best thing I always find is to start with a simple thing and work on that. I find that doing that my idea's usually blossom and flesh out a lot easier rather than trying to think up a complex thing from the get go, the questions in the Werewolf book character creation bit can be good too just see what the imagination thinks up.

What types of characters do you usually like to play ?

And well what Breed, Tribe and Auspice interests you ?

Maybe think about the sort of role you would like to play in a pack too and well what sort of outlooks might be interesting to you, goals etc.

I will be happy to help anyway :)

Miyu

Well I am tired of  fighters I would love to play some sort of wise girl, a pack member that everybody goes to reveal stuff. Basically a Gandalf of the tribe. I was looking at the silent striders but I ain't sure, I haven't played this game in over five years lol

Sabriel

Gandalf the Garou now theres an interesting image  :P

You know thougth I think a lot of the tribes could fit a wise girl, although depending upon what your revealing the auspice could vary.  General wisdom and mystic stuff teaching wellbeing and such would probably be best as a Theurge, although a Galliard could work if it was more about lore and such, tales stories etc and a Philodox would work for advice and making decisions etc sort of a balanced voice or such perhaps.  I could see such a concept working in a way with a Ragabash to, where you may prose critic and question peoples ways, choices, paths etc and try to reveal things to them this way try to make the realize things by themselves in a cryptic fashion or such hehe .

I realize I have listed all but one of the auspices there but yeah my mind tends to spawn multiple ideas instead of just one  :-\

Silent striders could easily work although so I am sure could many of the other tribes, Uktena may be a good choice since they sort of have a tradition of that sort of thing. There actual tribal weakness would fit with it too since the love to discover secrets and such, hehe and I imagine if one of them so much as heard rumors about the Island they may find it hard to resist not discovering more about it.

Miyu

I guess I could do a Uktena Philodox? what do you think?

Sabriel

That could certainly work yes,  and well nobody has proposed a Philodox yet either :)

So your thinking someone who makes decisions, a balanced voice makes judgments and handles disputes perhaps ?

Maybe work that in with a role in life if the character is a homid, I could easily see a Philodox Uktena being a sort of truth seeker and always looking for the unexplained the hidden motives elaborate cover ups and such things.

Miyu

Quote from: Sabriel on October 01, 2011, 06:20:37 PM
That could certainly work yes,  and well nobody has proposed a Philodox yet either :)

So your thinking someone who makes decisions, a balanced voice makes judgments and handles disputes perhaps ?

Yea she stands on the sidelines and settle any disputes that comes up, she is not much of a fighter but she can be a important part of the pack. Yes I was also thinking homid.

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/13310?message=true

this is what I have so far

Sabriel

Its looking good, although at present you are believe only 19 point freebie spent and in total with the extra 20 I given everyone that would make you 16 points under spent at present.

So yeah to clarify for everyone you get the standard 15 freebie points and an extra 20 so 35 total :)

Also it would be helpful although not necessary if you could note where you spend your freebies, I am pretty used to spotting and working it out myself regardless but it does make the job a little easier and quicker. And when I say note you can just put like that you spent 6 freebies in abilities, you don't have to list each expenditure well you don't "have" to list anything at all :P

Miyu

AndyZ

How does Influence work in your game?  Does it get divided into categories or does influence give you points in the entire political system?

AndyZ

Well, I'm working on where I want to place all those extra freebies.  If anyone wants to be a ghoul under my character, let me know.  I know TheHangedMan is stepping down.

Senti

I am thinking a raggie
or a theurge

but can turn my hand to most things.

Sabriel

In this game influence would be a bit restricted, and it will not cover everything you would have to specify your area of influence.  I probably won't allow characters to start with much if any influence although some areas of influence may be available at creation, it would make a lot more sense to gain it in play.  The one disadvantage for Kindred living on the Island is the fact that power and influence is limited, characters will have to gain, earn or struggle to rest influence from the other Kindred.

AndyZ

Sabriel

What sort of influence was it you wanted or where thinking of taking anyway ?

AndyZ

So far, here's what I'm looking at

Nicole Fontaine
Toreador
Demeanor: Bon Vivant
Strength 2
Charisma 4 (Graceful)
Appearance 4
Resources 4
Retainer 3
Status 2

Some of the better-known details for Nicole Fontaine are her establishments, a nightclub and a hotel.  The nightclub is called La Noir Doux-amère (The Bittersweet Night), a hangout spot for both Kindred and kine, with a second floor balcony area that overlooks most of the club.

The hotel (haven't named yet) is more standard, though smaller versions have cropped up all over the island.  Prominent features of the place include cheaper rooms without any windows, lacking a view of the island but also keeping out the sunlight.  Nicole has shown no qualms in the past with allowing Kindred to stay at her hotel for any length of time, and is quite alright with the less affluent Kindred using the place as a permanent residence.

Other rumors have circulated that she maintains a superlatively high Humanity rating, and struggles diligently against her Beast in the hopes of somehow vanquishing it.

Ratings are subject to change as I finalize my sheet.

Muse

I have some story still to flesh out on this guy, but I was inspired by my favorite wolf from the Wheel of Time.  He wanted to fly... 

Name:      Hopper
Auspice:   Theurge
Breed:      Lupus
Tribe:      Silver Fang

Strength      3
Dexterity      4   Blinding Speed
Stamina      3

Perception      3
Intelligence      2
Wits         3

Charisma      2
Manipulation      1
Appearance      3

TALENTS: 
Athletics      4   Leaping
Alertness      3
Brawl         4   Tooth and Claw
Dodge         1
Empathy      1
Expression      1
Intimidation      1
Primal Urge      3
Streetwise      0
Subterfuge      0

SKILLS: 
Animal Ken      0
*Crafts         0
*Drive         0
*Etiquette      0
*Firearms      0
Leadership      1
Melee         0
Performance      0
Stealth         1
Survival      3

Knowledge
*Computer      0
Enigmas      1
Investigation      1
*Law         0
*Linguistics      0
Medicine      1
Occult         3
*Politics      0
Rituals         3
*Science      0

Gnosis         6
Rage         4
Willpower      6

Gifts: 
Hare’s Leap
Heightened Senses
Luna’s Armor
Name the Spirit
Sense Wyrm
Spirit Speach

BACKGROUNDS: 
Ancestors   3
Pure Breed   3
Rites      5
Totem      3

Rite of Cleansing
Rite of Contrition
Rite of Talisman Dedication
Rite of Sumoning

Senti

Cadavar and I are coming up with something together, likely cousins though act more like brother and sister. Fianna if thats ok?

Cadavar

Quote from: Senti on October 03, 2011, 04:00:35 AM
Cadavar and I are coming up with something together, likely cousins though act more like brother and sister. Fianna if thats ok?

Oh yes indeed and their pants will not fall off if left together in a room. Ideas for images for them might include:

Mark Cooper

Morag Fyfe

More details to follow from either myself or senti. they maybe scarification of them both which will be added later before story begins.

Senti

We are looking at a Galliard and a raggie...and they will be like siblings that argue all the time.

We could of course play two old ladies....

Cadavar

Quote from: Senti on October 03, 2011, 05:15:33 AM
We are looking at a Galliard and a raggie...and they will be like siblings that argue all the time.

We could of course play two old ladies....

...that are obsessed with things that cost £1000s?

Sabriel

I haven't fully looked over your character yet Muse since some things stuck out to me straight away which well are a bit puzzling.

Why have you got a rank 2 and a rank 3 gift  :P 

QuoteCadavar and I are coming up with something together, likely cousins though act more like brother and sister. Fianna if thats ok?

Yes that is fine Senti.

QuoteWe could of course play two old ladies....

No, old ladies are reserved they may only be Fomori, Demonic horrors, Creepy long fingered Nosferatu, Rokea or Pooka.

Quote...that are obsessed with things that cost £1000s?

Don't you dare  :P

Senti

'But nothings free theese days..."

I expect it will cost a pretty penny for the red hair..."

"And the claws wont come cheap..."

"And you will pay extra for the coat..."

"I would say you would not get much change from a thousand points..."

"A thousand points..."

Muse

Quote from: Sabriel on October 03, 2011, 07:19:45 AM
I haven't fully looked over your character yet Muse since some things stuck out to me straight away which well are a bit puzzling.

Why have you got a rank 2 and a rank 3 gift  :P 

I understood we were building for rank 2? 

:)  If not, I can certainly put those points to other use.  :) 

Name the spirit is a Rank 3 gift for Lupus, but learned as a Theurge it's a Rank 2 gift. 

AndyZ

Any other people looking at vampires yet?  Or is it all werewolves?

If it's all werewolves, which auspices are left?  I may have to just hop into that.

Senti

AndyZ

Double-checking, all auspices are grabbed.  I'll just hope more vampire players show up.

Sabriel

Quote from: Muse on October 03, 2011, 07:43:40 PM
I understood we were building for rank 2? 

:)  If not, I can certainly put those points to other use.  :) 

Name the spirit is a Rank 3 gift for Lupus, but learned as a Theurge it's a Rank 2 gift.

Indeed yes that is quite true, although I did not say to make Rank 2 characters I mentioned that I may allow characters to start nearer to it or perhaps already be such. 

What is the concept for your character too ? Because a wolf that wanted to fly seams more like a Uktena Ragabash thing to me  :P  It would help if I knew a bit more about the idea since the sheet at the moment kind of seams a bit strange for a Theurge even a Lupus one, what would be the characters derangement also as a Silver Fang ?   

Is there a particular reason why the character has got athletics and brawl of 4 ?  That seams a bit of a peculiar thing for a Theurge to focus upon and at creation is there a reason for it with the concept or such or is it based on just being a lupus.  Because I don't think being a wolf from birth equates to such high scores in athletics and brawl, I am getting the idea of this crazy wolf who is spending most there time practicing brawling and athletic ability. 

QuoteDouble-checking, all auspices are grabbed.  I'll just hope more vampire players show up.

Feel free to make up a Garou instead if you with AndyZ, if there is not enough players to do the split thing I will change the setting anyway.  Where I do the story and its set is not so important I have other ideas and well this one would be a bit pointless without the vampire side there also, I may as well make it just a Garou focused game if it comes to it and I can still go with the Island idea if people wish ill just have to change some of the themes a bit maybe hehe.

grovercjuk

I am going with an ahroun and will get my sheet up hopefully tomorrow.

Senti

Not an old Lady grover...you know you want to...

We could have a pack of them...

(Damn that has set my head going for a very wrong game...)

(Grover I expect you will pay extra for the full moon....

and the glory wont come cheap

and those gifts...

Nothing's free these days...)

OK stepping away from the PC I promise to behave.

ShadowWalker

Are you still accepting players for the Werewolf side?

If so, questions:

What Auspices are currently represented, and which are you still accepting (i.e are you accepting multiple characters of the same Auspice?)

I would like to play a Silver Fang-- how much Tribal detail from the Tribebooks will be applicable, as in would you run Tribal Camps, or for Silver Fangs, Houses and Lodges? If so, what Houses would be available for play for a Silver Fang concept?

Any restricted Backgrounds or Merits/Flaws?

~ShadowWalker
Been salivating over this game since I started the approval process... :-P

Sabriel

I am still accepting concepts yes, I don't mind allowing an extra auspice either although I will only allow 6 Garou at most.

At the moment there are proposed concepts for all the auspice, but I think the is likely room for another of one of the auspices at least.

I would probably allow a character from one of the tribal camps our houses/lodges, but they may not feature much in the game if the setting remains as it is so it would be more of a character thing.  It would really depend upon the concept really id not outright say no to any of them, if it makes sense to the character and won't cause problems Ive not problem with those things being part of the character.

With Backgrounds and Merits/Flaws I am not restricting any of the bat, I will just judge them upon the character concept, but well basically try to be sensible and follow the standard restrictions. No Bone Gnawers with resources etc, no silly flaws like a Phobia of Jelly babies.

AndyZ

Quote from: Sabriel on October 06, 2011, 12:17:57 PM
I am still accepting concepts yes, I don't mind allowing an extra auspice either although I will only allow 6 Garou at most.

At the moment there are proposed concepts for all the auspice, but I think the is likely room for another of one of the auspices at least.

I would probably allow a character from one of the tribal camps our houses/lodges, but they may not feature much in the game if the setting remains as it is so it would be more of a character thing.  It would really depend upon the concept really id not outright say no to any of them, if it makes sense to the character and won't cause problems Ive not problem with those things being part of the character.

With Backgrounds and Merits/Flaws I am not restricting any of the bat, I will just judge them upon the character concept, but well basically try to be sensible and follow the standard restrictions. No Bone Gnawers with resources etc, no silly flaws like a Phobia of Jelly babies.
Bone Gnawers are actually banned from taking Ancestors, Pure Breed or Resources.  A number of tribes have some restrictions.

Although I know what I'm apt to take if I ever get a phobia.

Senti

Can Morag have a fear of socks?...or Old ladies :P

ShadowWalker

Awesome; would you like character concepts here in thread, by PM, or some other method?

Roughly I am thinking a Silver Fang Homid Philodox of House Austure Howl, probably Moon Lodge. While part of the pack, part of his reason for coming to the Isle would be to find a safe haven from the persecution of House Gleaming Eye, if you'd be interested in running some elements of the Red Jack storyline from the British setting material for Werewolf. I can provide details in my background if you'd like.

What are the other Werewolf concepts in the works? How would we be coming together as a pack, or will that be covered in roleplay?

AndyZ

I'm starting to prep a Lupus Theurge Uktena idea.  I'm not sure if the Theurge slot is open, and I'll step down if it isn't, but I'd like to have some sort of backup if we really can't get the Vampire stuff going.

If anyone still around is looking at the Theurge, please inform me as soon as possible.

Kirinis

Which clans haven't been represented yet?  Currently flirting with concepts that can be reslotted into different clans.

AndyZ

Quote from: Kirinis on October 06, 2011, 01:43:45 PM
Which clans haven't been represented yet?  Currently flirting with concepts that can be reslotted into different clans.

So far the only player for Vampire has a Toreador.  Please recruit more vamp people if you can.

Sabriel

Quote from: AndyZ on October 06, 2011, 12:26:16 PM
Bone Gnawers are actually banned from taking Ancestors, Pure Breed or Resources.  A number of tribes have some restrictions.

Yeah I am well aware of all the tribal restrictions that is what I was referring too with my example after all, I just did not see the point of listing every restriction for every tribe since they are listed in the book.  Those are simply the only restrictions I have at present ill judge everything else on concept and how it may effect the game.

Quote from: Kirinis on October 06, 2011, 01:43:45 PM

The only present person wishing to play a vampire that I am aware of is AndyZ, if there is not enough vampire interest or players I will simply do it as a Garou game as that seams where most of the interest actually is.

So presently only a Toreador is represented.

Quote from: ShadowWalker on October 06, 2011, 12:52:08 PM
Awesome; would you like character concepts here in thread, by PM, or some other method?

Roughly I am thinking a Silver Fang Homid Philodox of House Austure Howl, probably Moon Lodge. While part of the pack, part of his reason for coming to the Isle would be to find a safe haven from the persecution of House Gleaming Eye, if you'd be interested in running some elements of the Red Jack storyline from the British setting material for Werewolf. I can provide details in my background if you'd like.

What are the other Werewolf concepts in the works? How would we be coming together as a pack, or will that be covered in roleplay?

The idea for your concept could work perhaps id have to know more about it first really to tell, I mean it depends what sort of involvement you wish with the House, I won't actually be allowing any sort of Wyrm tainted characters from creation and well any such character is not liable to function well in the story from the get go. So depending on the actual idea of the concept it may work, although I will not be likely to be involving anything at all to do with the Red Jack storyline and if I did it would not likely be based upon any material storyline.   

You may have different reasons to come to the Island yourself and not be apart of the pack, you may then meet and join up with them there perhaps. Reasons can easily be worked out amongst the players and me I am sure, I am more than happy to help with that and the reason alone given sounds like a fair one. 

Well the pack is likely to be coming together for a purpose, each having specific reasons to travel to the island or simply tasked with doing so. They may feel some peculiar pull to go there may have some odd visions of dreams that place them there, or another Garou or spirit may have tasked them with seeking the place out and seen it themselves.  Basically the pack will either be pre formed and know each other or formed for the purpose of going to the island, there will be a main purpose for them of discovering what is going on there and if there is still Kinfolk, Garou a Caern etc there perhaps even figuring out why the place seams veiled to mortals.  We can work that out before play and even play out the forming/meeting of the pack if need be, or go from the point of them arriving at the island if some aren't a part of the pack immediately it probably make sense that they may join upon the island anyway unless they want to be packless.

Concepts should be posted in here really, and well rather than me repeating myself and such it probably be easier just to look up and see the presently proposed character concepts, since me describing them each in a few words is probably not the most apt way of summing them up.  So far the is one of each auspice and a few of the tribes represented.

Quote from: Senti on October 06, 2011, 12:29:01 PM
Can Morag have a fear of socks?...or Old ladies :P

No  -_-

Muse

*bow*  Thank you for giving us this marvelous opportunity, Sabriel. 

I'm starting up a new game soon.  I'd feel I wasn't giving either it or you the attention you deserved if I was spread too think.  Since you have so many applicants, I'll graciously step aside.  Good luck, everyone, and I hope you don't mind if I peak in for a lurk some time.  :) 

AndyZ

I noticed that nobody's discussed a pack totem yet.  Anyone have suggestions thataway?

ShadowWalker

So our list of packmembers so far as I can tell:

Uktena Philodox (Homid?) -- Miyu
Fianna(?-- pictures look awfully Fianna...) Galliard and Ragabash (Homids?) (Cadaver and Sentai-- which is which?).
Uktena Theurge Lupus -- AndyZ
Child of Gaia / Ahroun / ( Breed?) -- Grover
Silver Fang Philodox Homid -- ShadowWalker

(Muse bowed out)

Excepting the Uktena, most of these are fairly 'stock' British Tribes.

Maybe Stag, then, particularly if there is a faerie element to the island?

Fog could be another good one, given the island's background.

Maybe Fox? Fox could have some sort of 'bolt hole' through the weirdness that surrounds the island.

Other totem ideas? Would Sabriel prefer to pick our Totem?

Who would be Pack Alpha? That may help us figure out how the pack comes together. The Alpha could have recruited the pack.

I will try to get my concept/sheet up later today.

~ShadowWalker

Senti

Yes they are Fianna, Senti is the raggie and the wicked child is the Galliard.

AndyZ

I just saw one in the Player's Guide to Garou page 136, Sulis the British Celtic goddess of thermal springs.  Expensive at 8 points, but if we get the extra freebie points, it could work easily enough.

Her bonus is a little confusing, though.  If you're tied in an attribute before it gets raised, like if you have a number of 2s,  does her XP thing apply?  Or only if you only have a single low stat?

Senti

The two fianna ...as in neither of them would be pack leader material. They are bickering teenagers. They may need there heads bashing together on a regular basis.

Sabriel

Quote from: Muse on October 06, 2011, 09:06:29 PM
*bow*  Thank you for giving us this marvelous opportunity, Sabriel. 

I'm starting up a new game soon.  I'd feel I wasn't giving either it or you the attention you deserved if I was spread too think.  Since you have so many applicants, I'll graciously step aside.  Good luck, everyone, and I hope you don't mind if I peak in for a lurk some time.  :)

OK Muse thats understandable and feel free to peek in if you wish hehe

Quote from: AndyZ on October 07, 2011, 08:24:07 AM
I noticed that nobody's discussed a pack totem yet.  Anyone have suggestions thataway?

Well before deciding on a pack totem it may be a better idea to actually decide if the characters are of a pack formed recently and not all familiar with one another, or a pack who are familiar with one another.  I think the first option would allow you for more choice and be perhaps more interesting,  and well it is not entirely necessary that the Garou are all from place near too the Island.

As for the totem well id say pick one that best suits the pack and your characters and what you would like, don't choose it based on what would fit the Island  :P  Maybe choose it because the totem may have some interest in finding out whats going on there and such by all means, but well it should be something that fits the pack and your happy with more than anything else.

Quote from: AndyZ on October 07, 2011, 10:02:44 AM
I just saw one in the Player's Guide to Garou page 136, Sulis the British Celtic goddess of thermal springs.  Expensive at 8 points, but if we get the extra freebie points, it could work easily enough.

Her bonus is a little confusing, though.  If you're tied in an attribute before it gets raised, like if you have a number of 2s,  does her XP thing apply?  Or only if you only have a single low stat?

I would assume really that if all your lowest attributes or abilities where tied then it would not apply, since if you have 2 in every attribute none of them is the lowest they are all equal.  So it would not apply until the point where one was the lowest, it also would not apply to traits of zero you have to actually have points in an ability for it to be considered a lowest thing.  It is still an amazing benefit and power of the totem if it worked the other way it would just be silly and overpowered.

AndyZ

I've personally found that pack/group games tend to work best if all the characters know each other.  If we can't get enough vampires and I end up making a werewolf, that's my vote.

Sabriel

QuoteI've personally found that pack/group games tend to work best if all the characters know each other.

I  would generally agree, but well I can see it working either way.

It would seam that at least two of the characters would know each other anyway, with the Fianna concepts proposed. 

I am OK either way however with what you decide preferable, either a pack where everyone knows each other which finds itself upon going to the island or a new pack bound together and sent there for more purpose and dedicated to such tasks.

There is a big nasty Oil Rig nearby heh which itself could probably provide a reason, I can always have the characters actually end up on the island by "accident" or such shipwrecked or lost at sea in the umbra and finding themselves there.

Although the above option I think lack some of the flesh of the story and would leave the characters more in the dark about the place, and perhaps with less reasons and goals other than to maybe escape the place to begin with although I am sure they might find reasons to stay hehe.

QuoteIf we can't get enough vampires and I end up making a werewolf, that's my vote.

At present it would seam that vampire does not seam to be a popular option, so unless there is a mass influx of sudden interest ill just do things as a Garou game with the island setting.  That is unless the players wish to have a more regular set Garou game, or different time period game although telling me soon would be preferable so I don't go planning to much for the island hehe.

AndyZ

Guess I better throw down my werewolf then.  My vampire idea will be held until there's a good chance for me to play Nicole.  The character sheet for this one is still in the works, and I still need a name (playing with Dances-Through-Shadows but not 100% on it), but here's the idea.

Being different isn't always something that's easy to embrace or accept.  Most of the time, you just think that you're what's normal, because you're the only thing that you truly understand, and you let yourself imagine that everyone else is the same.  Believing that is often the only way to truly be happy.

The first time she really realized that something was amiss was when she saw the deer, realized that it was kicking its legs but not moving, something strange going on with its neck.  Her packmates saw nothing wrong; they soon pounced upon the doe, fangs and claws striking against the prey while it squealed in agony.  The others quickly had the deer cornered, making sure it couldn't run, or at least it appeared so.

She didn't really understand why she paused.  Certainly she was hungry; food had been scarce of late, although there was no clear reason she could recognize to cause such a change.  She was more focused at the moment as to why, why the prey would not run despite its legs clearly not being caught or hindered in any way.  It looked more like some sort of vine, heavily twisted in upon itself, was around the deer's neck, but no deer was so careless to let such a thing happen by accident without soon freeing itself.

Even though it wasn't raining, thunder without light echoed through the woods.  The thick scent of blood forced its way into her nostrils as the alpha suddenly collapsed, yelping pitifully.  Unfamiliar scents soon followed as the sounds of the storm continued, and finally she heard it:  Laughter.  Human laughter.

Rage filled her, a rage she never before imagined or could fully understand.  She threw herself towards the assailants, getting up onto her hind legs, raking her claws and massive teeth in bloody vengeance.  The men screamed and pointed their strange tools at her; the thunder felt agonizing but would not bring her down.  The Rage would not allow it.  Their blood would be hers.

Later on, basic concepts were explained to her, once she fully understood who and what she was.  Manservants of the Wyrm, hunters, had been laying bait of deer tied with rope in order to draw out the wolves and thin their ranks.  Even though it sickened her that such things would occur, her mentor was quick to clarify that man is not the problem, that the Wyrm causes such things and that not even a return to the Impergium would bring peace.  Mostly she accepts that.  Mostly.

She's supposed to maintain a balance between the human and the wolf within her, she knows, but she has a lot of difficulty with her human side.  Although many would consider her attractive if "she would just clean herself up," she doesn't like to wash off her scent with water, and she refuses to wear the unnatural pigments upon her face that humans find appealing for some strange reason.  She doesn't like to cleave the fur from her legs because she gets cold, and she doesn't like the scent of perfumes, which she refers to as "rolling in flowers."   Although she also dislikes clothes, she tolerates them because they keep her warm in Homid and because it draws too much attention from other humans when she doesn't wear them.

She is wise without being knowledgeable, something that makes perfect sense to a Lupus but often puzzles the Homids who fail to see the distinction between them.  Further, she often finds herself curious about the "Secrets of Man," and she's quite fascinated to learn how humans collect honey without being stung.  Her current theory is that they have someone who collects it and is so often stung that he no longer minds the bees, though she hopes that there might be another way.

Right now I'm playing with the idea of Strength 2, Charisma 2 and Appearance 2.  I could raise Charisma and Appearance to 3 if I make Social my secondary stat, but I wanted to check if you follow the idea of Appearance being pretty immutable, or if you see Appearance as going significantly up or down based on how well a person makes themself look.  If she's always dirty, doesn't ever wear makeup and the like, I would imagine that her Appearance will be down for now and may eventually go up if packmates talk her into trying out such strange things.  However, I've had STs who claim it both ways.

Senti

Too be honest and I usually am :) when people use attractive pictures then they should pay the points. No amount of mud, or no make up will detract from natural beauty.

If one has a app 2 one finds a plain picture.

Otherwise what is the point in someone  paying out lots of points for that stat? As alot of us remember pictures rather than stats I think this is an important issue.

Sabriel

See I have never been one to question appearance much, in fact I think that some of the people who do are a bit quack.  The base of appearance is about your looks although it does include what you can do with them and how you can present yourself, but well like Senti says someone who is just caked in mud is not going to go from appearance 2 to 4-5. It does have everything to do with the way you look its just some are better at using that better than others.

A person with appearance of 4-5 could probably make mud look fashionable  ::)

You probably have a hard time convincing me on raising appearance in game, best start looking for Tzimisces or such cause nobody is going from 2 to 4-5 naturally :P

Why do you want to play a Lupus btw ?

AndyZ

Been checking through all the various books for various Totem options.  In the Silent Striders book, they have a Seagull, page 87.  For an island game, I think this would also be a great totem.

4 points of Background.  Two points of Area Knowledge for coastal areas, can float very easily in the physical and walk on water in the Umbra.  However, lose two points of temporary Honor, and if we're away from the coast for too long, Gull travels to the shore and we have to go chase her down again.

Quote from: Sabriel on October 08, 2011, 01:57:00 PM
See I have never been one to question appearance much, in fact I think that some of the people who do are a bit quack.  The base of appearance is about your looks although it does include what you can do with them and how you can present yourself, but well like Senti says someone who is just caked in mud is not going to go from appearance 2 to 4-5. It does have everything to do with the way you look its just some are better at using that better than others.

A person with appearance of 4-5 could probably make mud look fashionable  ::)

You probably have a hard time convincing me on raising appearance in game, best start looking for Tzimisces or such cause nobody is going from 2 to 4-5 naturally :P

That's fine.  As I said, I've been in games where it's gone both ways, so when it comes into question, I prefer to ask straight up.

QuoteWhy do you want to play a Lupus btw ?

Partially because that's the idea that I came up with, partially because I'm very tired of Homids after playing several Werewolf the Forsaken characters, and partially because it seems like we have several Homids already and it tends to be more fun when you have some people from all types.  If you prefer, though, I can try to swap to Metis and see if I can beat the concept together.

Sabriel

I dislike Werewolf the Forsaken myself I think it pales in comparison to its predecessor hehe its like value brand Werewolf in my opinion but thats just me. I do totally understand why they removed the choice of playing anything but homids however although not entirely necessary, I think since a sensible storyteller won't just allow things because there in a book and an all Lupus game can be great.

I will state now I am unlikely to accept a Lupus concept, unless I think it is really good and will actually fit within the pack and story well.  If I think it is liable to cause any issue or awkwardness and disrupt things the ill likely say no. 

If you play a Metis I will expect that to fit also, there will be no ignorance of deformity and few Garou who treat such a character equally. 

It does tend to be more fun when you have more people of different types, although id generally apply that more to tribe and auspice, It could also be said it can be fun and novel to play a group or pack of one type, tribe etc. That does not happen to often in my experience despite it happening in the setting :P 

Which sort of begs me to ask if difference is so important why play a tribe that someone else has already chosen to represent ?

I am not entirely convinced on the idea of there being two Uktena as it is one is more than enough, makes sense with some other tribes but I think one Uktena is the token and should be alone in this setting unless there is a connection between them ::)

grovercjuk

Player ID:   Paul
Breed:    Homid   
Auspice:   Ahourn      
Name:   John Fleetwood
Tribe:   Child of Gaia      
Deed Name:   Hard as Oak   
Attributes (7/5/3)
Physical      Pts.      Mental   Pts.
Strength       4
Dexterity       4
Stamina        4

Social           Pts
Charisma       2
Manipulation  3
Appearance   3

Mental
Perception      2
Intelligence     2
Wits                3

Abilities (13/9/5)
Talents   Pts.   
Alertness   3   
Athletics     4   
Brawl     4   
Dodge        4
Primal Urge 2
Drive           2   
Firearms      4
Melee          4
Survival       2
Computer    1
Medicine      2
Occult          1
Rituals         1

Cost      Breed   Auspice   Tribe   House
Cost      Master of fire   Razor Claws   Resist Pain   

Renown   Perm.   Temp.   Next Level
Glory   2      
Honor   1      
Wisdom         
Experience Points   
Constitution   Permanent   Temporary
Rage/Torment   5   
Gnosis   3   
Willpower   6

Sabriel

OK everybody I am going to proceed with just doing this as a Garou game, so lets get everything together  :-)

I have made a OOC character and discussion thread so we can move things along and get into play

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=121516.0

I am accepting up to 6 with 8 players maximum allowing for 2 slots for Kinfolk characters, I may allow other things if asked and concepts are proposed to me which make sense. I.E I may allow a Corax who may be acting as a guide to the Garou, or who may have lead them to the place perhaps knowing about it and how to get to it easily via hidden routes etc.

AndyZ

Right now the two Garou ideas that I'm playing with are a Get of Fenris Ahroun and a Metis Stargazer Theurge.  The deformity I'm considering for the latter is Fits of Madness, though I understand if that's not a physical enough deformity and I'd have to pick something else.

Woke up sick so my creativity is pretty sapped today.  I'll be on Yahoo for chatting, but I won't promise coherency.