40% of all new Jobs in America are in one state

Started by ReanimateMagnus, June 11, 2011, 11:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReanimateMagnus

Vekseid

What a nicely deceptive article. Texas was able to shore up its budget for longer than normal because of its share of the stimulus, while California and New York are losing $40 billion and $20 billion annually, respectively. Whereas Texas is actually getting a net positive amount of federal dollars lately. If California got what it paid in federal dollars, it would have a pretty hefty budget surplus.

Lying by omission is still lying.

ReanimateMagnus

I don't get why Obama hasn't done anything for education, or at least done anything to solve the teaching problem in Texas. I mean he goes on tv to say we need to improve math and science in our nation and here I am. A mathematics teacher without a job.

Vekseid

Well, I imagine if you compared the quality of the jobs gained in Texas with those gained in New York, you wouldn't be so thrilled. And why teachers aren't a part of the recovery - they 'want too much money'.

I read 'economists' from the Austrian and Chicago schools talk about 'Keynsian kool-aid' and 'Krugtard', but the fact of the matter is, compare Paul Krugman's predictions to those of Greenspan and most other right-wing economists, and it's pretty obvious who is drinking the kool-aid.

ReanimateMagnus

I'm not even asking for much at all, just the opening salary I mean come on. Most of the old teachers who have been teaching forever hardly even know what they are talking about. I've seen it first hand in Texas. These kids don't learn anything from their math teachers other than that they hate math.

Shjade

Quote from: ReanimateMagnus on June 11, 2011, 11:56:20 PM
These kids don't learn anything from their math teachers other than that they hate math.
Hey now, that's not fair. I'm sure a good amount of them learned they hate math from books.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Oniya

*Learned she loved math in 7th grade, and is making sure the little Oni gets to learn the fun of it as well.*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Pumpkin Seeds

Learned to hate math in 8th grade and was so bad at it that I was the only person allowed to sleep in the good Sister's class.  Sat right up front too and slept soundly.  Everyone else she'd hit with an eraser.

Shjade

I liked math until it became more busy work than learning. I never liked the concept of "show your work" when all it did was make doing homework take ten times longer. Somewhere around fifth grade, I think. After that I pretty much lost all interest. :|
◕/◕'s

Caeli

I loved math in elementary, middle, and high school, and I still do. I had amazing teachers, and I like how it's straightforward and simple (at least, the stuff before linear algebra). :)
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Starlequin

I think i could have liked math, if my 6th grade teacher hadnt spent more time teaching us how to cheat on the state tests than actually teaching, you know, math. A fun way to pass a year, but not as useful for the year after.
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

ReanimateMagnus

Quote from: Shjade on June 12, 2011, 01:42:05 AM
Hey now, that's not fair. I'm sure a good amount of them learned they hate math from books.
I doubt that, from what I've seen most of the students don't even know how to read the math book, as in they wouldn't know how to find the answer to a question they have. Not a math question but just a question like "What is a parallelogram" They wouldn't know how to search the book for the answer. It's really sad.

RubySlippers

Back on topic oddly I always have work you just have to be willing to uncut your competition and swallow ones pride. Your a teacher ever consider assisting home schooling parents with teaching mathematics for what they can afford to pay Texas if I recall has many doing that, even if you make half what you would teaching in a public school. You could work as a fast food service manager working your way from shft manager you have a bachelors degree add a certificate in small business management there you go. And most retail store chains having a degree is a ticket to work up to management.

You have to work at what you can work at, who cares if its teaching if that is what youre educated in with this economy?

And for your information education is mostly funded by the states and local counties, you should not even expect Federal money for the system make do with what you get. For example just don't fund extracurricular activities and I mean any of them unless tied to a class, let parents and students come up with the money plus a stipend for every hour a teacher spends advising them say 150% the minimum wage in your state. And yes all the costs if you child is in football that means uniforms, transportation, equipment, motel rooms, stipends per hour for every faculty member when they are not supervising the children etc. Teachers in my state and the state constitution demands education be funded for me that is what is needed to get a diploma and tending to the childs academic and job preparation needs. School psychologists that is medical care and legally the parents duty to get. School social workers why the hell are there those they have agencies of the government and charities that offer such services. Then maybe after cutting this out you will have more money for teachers to hire more of them. Schools have to be schools and gut anything not academic or career preparation in nature out of the budget. I know I will have critics here but might I ask what does football have to do with getting a diploma or lets go over and say theater clubs when it takes up teachers time without paying them more?

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: ReanimateMagnus on June 12, 2011, 07:58:14 AM
I doubt that, from what I've seen most of the students don't even know how to read the math book, as in they wouldn't know how to find the answer to a question they have. Not a math question but just a question like "What is a parallelogram" They wouldn't know how to search the book for the answer. It's really sad.

I liked Math till Geometetry when I had this one fundie who would preach in class till the teacher yelled at him. He had an eidetic memory. He could learn the proofs no problem but his preaching sucked them out of my head.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: ReanimateMagnus on June 11, 2011, 11:56:20 PM
I'm not even asking for much at all, just the opening salary I mean come on. Most of the old teachers who have been teaching forever hardly even know what they are talking about. I've seen it first hand in Texas. These kids don't learn anything from their math teachers other than that they hate math.

Aren't Math teachers the first in line to be replaced by talking and calculating robots?  ;D

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: gaggedLouise on June 12, 2011, 12:26:44 PM
Aren't Math teachers the first in line to be replaced by talking and calculating robots?  ;D

I don't know about taht.. but the recent Math course I took in college made me wish they had the book (with it's DVD and online content) had been around when I was in school It would have been a lot easier to understand. This book made it intuitive and taught you the course. And a lot of that was due to the video of math students (like.. masters canidates) covering the subject in detail if you didn't get the course material.

Machines don't do it as well.

ReanimateMagnus

Quote from: gaggedLouise on June 12, 2011, 12:26:44 PM

I know this is a joke but I kinda take it personally. I'm just going to say that a robot could never teach logic, it could only teach the analytical.

Shjade

Technically it could teach whatever you programmed it to teach...but only as well as its programming.
◕/◕'s

ReanimateMagnus

Quote from: Shjade on June 12, 2011, 08:21:39 PM
Technically it could teach whatever you programmed it to teach...but only as well as its programming.

It would take a ton of programming to be able to assess and determine the correct answer for questions that are posed poorly by students with low caliber minds. I doubt that a robot could ever have all the answers like a good mathematician should.

Shjade

Probably true!

Then again, I'd argue a good number of mathematicians probably aren't equipped to answer poorly posed student questions either. Solve the math, maybe, but explain it in a way that could be understood?

The point there just being good mathematician != good math teacher.
◕/◕'s

ReanimateMagnus

Thank you for agreeing with me and pointing out more of which I would have posted.

Shjade

◕/◕'s

MasterMischief

Is the WSJ looking to support Perry's run for President?

Missy

I think the economy is the root cause of the teachers wantign money problem. I mean gas is $3 p/gallon and you hear it's goign to go up all the time. Does anyone not want more money????

In any case I don't think public schools should only be about brain things. Extracurricular activities and athletics can be good for one's health and by extension the subjects mind. Thus improving academic performance overall.

Kids hating math? Depends on a lot of factors. Teacher, kid, parents, friends, health etc... You can't blame every case of poor academia on one quality. These kids who drop out or perform poorly are likely suffering from a number of poor influences, abusive homes and poorly selected social circles are just two of the possibilities. Get several poor things together in one kid and they'll hate math (and other studies) it's a little sad.

ReanimateMagnus

Quote from: MCsc on June 18, 2011, 02:16:49 PM
Kids hating math? Depends on a lot of factors. Teacher, kid, parents, friends, health etc... You can't blame every case of poor academia on one quality.
I'm a sub right now and I see all of these teachers teach because sometimes I sub for an aid. I've been to over 20 highschools and 25 middle schools. A lot of the teachers are stuck in the old ways of teaching if you know what I mean.