What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lirliel

Why in the frak is DoW 2 Retribution so addictive.

Started an Eldar campaign yesterday, 19.00, when I glanced at my clock 00.00.

The game itself is still great, though I'm still not using a lot of the units you get.

Banshee's are not tough enough to last a long while in CC, whereas when I was playing DOW2 and CR they just seemed to go on for ever.

The only one's I'd willingly use are Guardian squads coupled with a few Wraightguards, having a Warlock joined with the Guardians gives them the necessary boost to keep from dying quickly and speeds the Wraightguard up as well.
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Inkidu

I really need to play Two Worlds II. It's just sitting on my coffee table all alone with nothing but my brother's copy of Lost Odyssey to keep it company (I don't play JRPGs much anymore to care about finishing it). It's fun, I'm tired of getting my ass kicked by giant ants for no reason other than I'm not level five yet. It's just with Dragon Age II so close it's hard to focus.   
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

The games a chore in the beginning, especially if your a Mage or a Thief. But once I got past the first island, ho boy... I haven't slept in 2 days o.o

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on March 05, 2011, 11:25:36 AM
The games a chore in the beginning, especially if your a Mage or a Thief. But once I got past the first island, ho boy... I haven't slept in 2 days o.o

I noticed. :p

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on March 05, 2011, 11:25:36 AM
My problem is I don't exactly know what I want to do. They offer you so many choices at the start I don't know if I want to be a thief, warrior, or mage. So I end up trying to do all of them and getting killed by everything.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Quote from: Inkidu on March 05, 2011, 11:45:15 AM
My problem is I don't exactly know what I want to do. They offer you so many choices at the start I don't know if I want to be a thief, warrior, or mage. So I end up trying to do all of them and getting killed by everything.

Stupid choice. Spreading your XP too thinly. I'll try and run down Mage and Warrior, but I haven't done much Thiefing yet...

I'm honestly preferring Warrior. Theres not as much skill variety as Mage, but theres a lot more then I expected... it seems theres a handful of special moves for each weapon type. For instance, an ace, whether two handed or one handed, has a special move with a chance of disarming a shield. Mace has a stunning head blow. Shields and Spears have knockback attacks, a knockdown kick is pretty much universal, and theres SO MUCH bloody loot. So many different weapons and the stream of new items and classes seems pretty steady. Then theres upgrading, dismantling, enchantment stones and their upgrading...

Point being, Warrior isn't as 'dumb and simple' a choice as your probably used to.

Mage, however, is an extreme test of your patience, but theres actual payoffs for your investment. A lot of the spells are pretty much useless, like the ability to spawn random items, and the Summoning is extremely weak. Seriously, I'm a level 17 Mage, and it takes up all of my mana to summon a level 9 monster that does almost no damage to wimp class enemies like Cheetahs and Varn. All they seem good for is distractions.

And the magic, if you can get a hold on whats actually useful or not, is insanely fun to toy with, but its guna cost you an arm and a leg just for tuition. For each field of magic, you need Mastery, and that comes from Skill Books. Plus the cards you need to combine cost you a few hundred each, while the ability to stack certain numbers of cards also comes from Skill Books.

You have Earth Mastery? Well thats good... you can throw down 1 Earth related card. Want more? You need to go spend a few thousand gold on a Sorcery Artisan Skill Book and then work on leveling that one up. Okay, you've got multiple cards for a strong spell. Now you want to tinker with it and see if you can make it more offensive, or defensive, or both...

You guessed it. You now need a Wisdom Skill Book to learn to stack Modyfier Cards. Yep, gotta buy those as well. The bill is guna be tens of thousands before you are a competent Mage.

Inkidu

See too much. I'm just too ADD with Dragon Age 2 here to worry about a B-game. I noticed that about the warrior class though. Finally something that's not all swords and axes. Honest to God spears woot.

Sabby

Its a shame theres no spear and shield combo, but I'm just happy to have polearms. Oh, theres Katana's as well... you use them much like a Samurai.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on March 05, 2011, 02:25:51 PM
Its a shame theres no spear and shield combo, but I'm just happy to have polearms. Oh, theres Katana's as well... you use them much like a Samurai.
I kind of like the archery aspect too, but the bows I've seen so far are kind of lame. (looks-wise not stats-wise). Still I kind of would have liked some indication of the difficulty of the enemies you're facing. Seriously. five Varn and an air shaman go down like that, but a giant ant kills me? Those are like the giant rats of the fantasy insect kingdom.

Sabby

In my personal experience, it was that hard for me in the beginning, and after some leveling up everyone were ridiculously easy to kill, the difficulty curve stayed conistent for a while, and then theres an unexpected rise in toughness that slowly eases itself. So the difficulty is inconsistent, but not by a huge margin.

Also, I have to mention this, because its bugging the shit out of me. The quest writing is atrocious. Not talking about the dialogue, though it does range between competent to terrible. No, its just how sloppy it all is. It feels to me like most of these quests had big, detailed subplots ready, but it all gets cut down to its bare bones.

Several quests so far have simply ended in a dick move, or go ahead too fast. There was one where, I am not joking, all the characters left, a Mage appears from no where, gives you the rest of the info, and the quest ends. This was a 10 part quest that spanned the entire first island. It was a LONG thing to do... and in the last quarter its "Fuck it, a Wizard did it"

And talking to some quest characters after their quests simply brings up the other dialogue options which can get them into infinite loops. Its not game breaking, but its so irritating to see the quest in my journal, unsolvable...

I love Two Worlds 2... but the things really not ready. What is it with people releasing unfinished games the last few years? The only games I can remember off the top of my head that actually felt finished were Red Faction 3 and Batman: Arkham Asylum. Seriously, those two were so bloody polished you could blind yourself from the glare.

Wolfy

Rented Vanquished to hold me over until Dragon Age 2. Gotta call tommorow and find out if my Gamestop is having a midnight release on Monday. o3o

Sabby

Hemingway

Blue Leah

Currently playing a lot of Marvel vs. Capcom 3. I love what they've done with the engine, and the fact that my favorite video game character (Dante) is in it is pretty sick.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on March 06, 2011, 05:25:05 AM
I get Dragon Age 2 tomorrow =3
I'm getting it on the 360..so no pre-loading for me...:/

Hemingway

Yeah, well I don't get it until Thursday or Friday. Guess I'll have to avoid this thread.

Wolfy

Heh.

I rented Vanquished to Hold me over until Dragon Age 2...it's an Ok game. o3o

Hemingway

I just watched Predators. I think I might have to get the latest AvP, despite the reviews. I'm easily influenced.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on March 06, 2011, 05:25:05 AM
I get Dragon Age 2 tomorrow =3
Is tomorrow Tuesday in Australia, because that's when I get it. I'm marching in there at 10:01 and getting my signature edition. (No I would never pay money for a special edition game. The upgrade was free.)

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on March 06, 2011, 03:15:44 PM
I just watched Predators. I think I might have to get the latest AvP, despite the reviews. I'm easily influenced.

Oh god, he knows not what he says! Quickly, Tie him down before he does it! D:>

Hemingway

Sabby

Lirliel

The new AVP is a decent shooter, the Marine campaign is fairly atmospheric and you have some really tense moments, especially when you play on the hardest (a.k.a. you die you restart the entire level) difficulty setting.

The Predator campaign is somewhat meh, they got the feeling for how Preds hunt humans fairly well, but the game's namesake Alien Versus Predator, keeps sucking rather hard.

Alien campaign is either, boring, because your trying to be stealthy or OMFG I'm the Alien version of Flash.
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Sabby

I loved the idea of the Alien campaign. 6 had a lot of promise, but they didn't really go anywhere with it, ya know?

Just dropped my Xbox off at the Modder. It will have a new disc reader tomorrow. Taking home Dragon Age 2 and paying for Deus Ex 3. Just in case it shows upon his order list.

Brandon

I sat down for a nice 3v3 game in Dow2 tonight, figured I would get one in and then go grind my wow dailys. Turns out I never got around to wow because it turned into an epic game where neither side could score any victory points for...I dont know how long. Im not sure what broke the stalemate as when we finally got a VP I was busy trying to cap my own with my Mekboy. Then the entire game went on and on and on as the enemy team couldnt get a VP of their own or take the one we had. It was just a slow tick down to a win and I think its the best combative game Ive played in retribution so far  ;D
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play