Drow: An Interest Check

Started by Krayz, June 11, 2010, 05:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vergil1989

No I know that and I wasn't planning on doing that anyway.  It helped to get my last name together and I was going to throw the link up for others to use if they needed it.

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/vortexshadow/drownames.html

Nice guy by the way.  Creepy, powerful, and even I have to admit that Ziva would probably find him good genetic stock lol.
Taker of the Oath of the Drake
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE as of October 6th 2016 in A/A page

Krayz

xD

Plus one of the spellbooks he picked up along the way was the Nymphological Compendium  8-)

Zakharra

What is needed exactly? I've been distracted this morning. Writing. I got the urge to write and when I do, I write. :) What's the form the game will take? Established houses? Mercenaries?  Taking over a House? Will the players be in postions of power or striving to kill those ahead of them so they can take those positions?

I'll need help making a character sheet if we're using 3rd or 4th ED. I never understood the mechanics. 2nd ED was the one I learned to roll  on.

Vergil1989

As far as I am aware, we need Matron Mothers and we aren't using the dice or any of the will saves or anything like that, but the guy I believe wishes us to at least draw from the spells and poisons and all that listed in whatever DnD book(s) you might have.  There's also a book on the Drow on one of the previous pages that I have and I believe a few others have as well and it helped me a ton to get my own together.  I hope I have helped at all Zakharra.
Taker of the Oath of the Drake
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE as of October 6th 2016 in A/A page

Decrepitdan

Do you have room for another male character? I'm always up for a Drow roleplay, but I don't think I could do a Matron justice.

Krayz

@Zakharra: Vergil is correct; earlier additions are pretty much ok as well; the only reason rules came up is a united spell list and equipment source (and even the equipment is only a big deal if you plan on having a large, detailed inventory of specific items). As long as you remain fairly generic in your abilities and equipment, you don't need to worry about the small stuff.

@DecrepitDan: Always room for anyone who wants to play, Dan. Once your character is done, you might want to edit a few things to attach him to one of the particular Houses that we'll have, but aside from that please feel free to jump in :D

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, I think I decide to run my char as 'patriach' then. As note there are 'patriarchs' in drow setting but they are usually a Vhaeraun church led cities but I am trying a different approach here.

Patriarch Zefana Skikudis'cress

Name: House of Skikudis'cress (House of Steel web)
Insignia: A six weapons (sword, axe, dagger, wand, halberd and greatsword) crossed together with steel web background.
Summary: House of Skikudis'cress is led (curiously) by male! Only reason why this 'blasphemy' exchists is because originally house was group of houseless drows who banded together behind charismatic leader; a male drow known as Zefana. Zefana was cunning stragetic leader and also meddled with house politics in very start of forming his mercenary band and also instead spending gathered income to luxuries he formed merchantile deals and bought businesses which supported the activities of the mercenary group.

But soon he by using proxy (pretty female drow) dealer bought all businesses of the city and then gained monopoly over mining, weapon and armor manufacture and building siege weapons and war golems and also small scale business in exotic war mount breeding and training. Besides buying he expanded his monopoly empire to several fields in city and before any matron mothers knew it a male ran several businesses what each and every house depended on warfare or any conflict really!

So, reason why such house exchists is because Zefana himself raised and elected himself into 'patriarch'. Of curse several matron mothers and matriarchs did not want any of that but priestess of Lolth who had casted divinations regarding the matter (like why or how this was possible in Lolth blessed city?!). Head Priestess had got a direct message from Lolth which said; 'House is led by male but male receives guidance from a matron mother'. Of course several reports and divinations directed on Zefana showed he did not bow to ANY matron mother in or outside the city! This led to confusion but eventually small number of matrons and matriarchs banded together and attacked in full 'crusade' force against the 'rebel house' which very exchistence inspires rebellious traits to other houses males!

But despite odds set against Zefana and his house, one vs hundred, his house reigned suppreme from conflict and without support anykind he also wiped out several weaker matron led drow houses proper annihilation fashion! Eversince then no house has set up to mass attack on Zefana, as some damn reason his house holds Lolth's favor despite it's not led by a woman! Also one reason why no one attacks is that they wonder who is the 'mysterious matron mother' who from Zefana receives guidance from? Also during centuries head priestess had said only reason why Lolth would allow such thing is this; "Lolth elects females above males because females are superior and stronger than males. So key word here is strenght. So if expectional strong male is born he can have strenght which surpasses many females, so this house and Zefana is our city's own test of Lolth; will be women of this city be strong enough overcome it or not someday?"

Eversince Zefana and exchistence of his house has been 'tolerated' by other houses. As overall House of Skikudis'cress 'rents' their warriors to other houses and it's their one major cake slices of income what they get. Because of this the house is indirect rival of House Noqulyl. They have not have direct house vs house conflicts but rather House Noqulyl during one their raids to weaker houses have faced House Skikudis'cress mercenary warriors. Many weaker houses rent their warriors as srike forces or defensive forces when they get harassed or get warning of impending attack. But over time several weaker houses have been grown too indebted to House of Skikudis'cress and have become 'consumed' by the bigger house and become a side branch of growing 'web of influence' what has grown around the House of Skikudis'cress. House warriors are all trained invidually to their weapons, there is no 'pre-set' training to anyone. Because lack of set format in units the each unit forms own tactical combat maneuvers and tactics based on skill setup what unit has. Many warriors of house pick exotic weapons over mundane ones and if they use mundane weapons they use exotic methods how they fight.

So, even if Zefana is never invited to top ten matron mother meetings (he is male after all) but he is given respect as one most powerful independant males of the city. In inner politics House of Skikudis'cress the ascension in rank is not based on blood but by merit, strenght and power. Altough Zefana has dozen of sons and daugthers but none he have favored in any specific fashion. He gives praises when they are due but same time given negative feedback when it's due also. In his house women are not favored over men, egually both can be in rank and file soldiers or commanders. Only what matter is competence in tasks given and how well invidual performs. Recruiting to house is done as in any mercenary company but there is strict difference between mercenary military rank (house retainer) and between inner circle (the eldest members of original mercenary group which has overtime shrunk to twenty or less). Election to inner circle happens by whims of Zefana or one the top ten commanders.

Pictures of the warriors serving in the house;

Krayz

There's only a couple problems, Zaer. The city's only going to have 3-5 Houses, those being the ones that your fellow players are making. Ergo, crushing them with 100 to 1 odds is not only utterly ridiculous in terms of general logic, but not even possible since there aren't that many Houses in the entire city. I don't want the Houses all advertising themselves as unstoppable powerhouses because, logically, there wouldn't be any other Houses if one was really strong enough to crush one-hundred Houses (that's 100 clerics of Lloth, all at least above-average in terms of ability, without even including their soldiers).

As well, while creativity is well and good, you're essentially spitting on what's pretty much the one immutable fact of drow society. Males can often gain great power unofficially, or relative to their gender, but a male running a bona fide House is just a little too much to swallow, mate.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, when I meant 100 vs 1 it was more 'big house vs dozen smaller weak ones'. So far as I recall example Menzoberranza has 100 houses but only top ten matter in city politics wise (and most below that rank are more 'merchantile' drow houses who have ambittion get ranked as one top ten houses).

So event in question several weaker houses with big numbers but lacking quality attacked house which had expected a mass attack from other houses. But if male patriarch in Lolth controlled city is far fetch then Ok, I adjust my game profile around only a powerful male (around 15 level in power).

Zaer Darkwail

Or is it better instead a 'house' my char is 20 level leader of mercenary band like Jarlaxle?

Krayz

It couldn't be level 20; I only have Matrons attaining that kind of level.

Aside from those concerns, it's a perfectly viable option; I have a dude performing a similar role already.

Ironwolf85

Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Angi

Name: Xunlara Noqulyl
Race: Drow
Profession: Matron Mother of House Noqulyl
History: Xunlara was the youngest of the four daughters born to the founding Matriarch of the House Noqulyl, Vlondiira. Being no less than a century younger than her eldest sister, not a soul could expect the immense ambitions the girl began to grow over the years. When she was barely beginning her own journey to follow in her sisters' footsteps, she began training in combat and had already worked out more than 8 different ways to take down the youngest of her siblings. Her older sister Yasavin had just completed her training as a priestess of Lolth, working on moving up in the favor of her mother. Xunlara already knew her sisters saw little threat from Yasavin, let alone the baby of the family herself, so in her eyes the opportunity was golden. One day, not too long after Xunlara had finished training herself, the body of Yasavin was found in 4 pieces in 4 different rooms of the main house.

Of course, Xunlara was immediately suspected as she would be the only daughter to immediately benefit from her sister's death. But even though all signs pointed in her direction, none of her other sisters took it as a real threat which left even more of an opening for her to clear her way to Matriarch completely. Only 11 years after Yasavin's downfall the third eldest daughter of Vlondiira, Shurdriira, was discovered be headed in her own bedchamber and the guards posted outside her door were missing altogether. Still, her remaining sisters refused to admit they had anything to fear and Vlondiira herself practically ignored the entire ordeal while seated safely in her position of power.

Over the next 40 years, Xunlara's remaining siblings were also brutally killed, likely only because they refused to take any action to prevent it in fear of appearing weak by fearing their own younger sister. Now the only person standing between Xunlara and the position of Matron Mother was her own mother, who was more than confident she had nothing to fear from the girl as her other daughters were weak to begin with. Though it took another 24 years, Xunlara finally made her move. Fighting her mother was much louder and harder than her sister's deaths had been, and it lasted more than half a day. Of course it attracted attention from everyone around, and not a soul dared to step in and help either woman as they attempted to end the other. At one point, it seemed certain Vlondiira had her daughter trapped and only moments away from ending her eventful life. Likely, she would have as well, if Xunlara hadn't planned exactly for this point and in one quick movement pulled out a small object from a pocket hidden in her boot and shot a handful of needles coated in a powerful paralytic into her mother's bare stomach. Not wasting a moment, the younger drow darted behind her, ignoring her own wounds and slicing her mother's head off her shoulders with the former Matriarch's own weapon. Afterwards, she easily slipped into the role as the Matron Mother of the House, finding little opposition to the matter.

Personality: Since she has held the position of Matriarch, Xunlara resorted to fighting herself as little as possible, at least in the public's eye. To those who didn't know her, she was assumed to have lost her skill completely and was only hanging onto her seat by the loyalty of those who still feared her. In actuality, Xunlara had almost developed a separate personality, keeping her bloodthirsty side locked away until she needed it most. This became clear the multiple times she'd been attacked in an attempt to knock her from her position. Each time she had come out on top without any serious injuries and always leaving her enemy in multiple pieces. This way she had of hiding in herself, often created many occasions where she fought with her own mind. She barely spoke to anyone, unless it was to give orders on where to move next. Most of the time she was found wandering around her home, as if nervous she would be caught off guard at some point.

Drake Valentine

Not sure if you were taking apps by PM or on here. *lazy to browse/has to get ready for work in two minutes/mad copy -n- paste skills.* ;3 But I want to play my Ghaun since other RP he was in died out.

Name: - Ghaun
The accused one.  Ghaun’s full family name has been stripped from him upon the moment his house was taken over. He is only known in the Drow society as cursed, mostly given that the majority of his owners don’t end up living long if they keep him in their household.
Class:
Assassin
Slave of the Underdark

Appearance:
Behold, come and meet one of the true children of the Underdark. Nightmares woven into tales of fiends that dwell in the dark, away from their more daytime and various, alternative, elven species. Has one every laid eyes upon a Drow? Such tainted and enchanting individuals they are and Ghaun is no less in personality and appearance alike. Is it morbid fascination that may drive one towards such a being? Does the forbidden fruit dangle about so lusciously? Who could truly resist the exotic and rare nature of his kindred? More tempting nonetheless that such a male has fallen into a ‘slave’ position. Now none should be fooled by this knowledge either, being a ‘slave’ doesn’t make him weak, there isn’t one trace of being docile or fully confined from the proud and dominating posture and composure this individual houses so freely and calmly alike.

Let us go back to his image, what might catch one’s eyes first from this man? Might it be his dark skin color? He isn’t as pitch black as some of his dark brothers and sisters, his complexion is on a fair lighter side than that, appealing in more of a dark gray, than obsidian. Maybe it is his hair? Ivory locks which cascade their way down lengthy along his being, dripping across broad shoulders and inching a quarter of the way down his spine; failing to fully sheet his moonlight like skin. Perhaps it is even his body? Oh, and what a body it is, one can’t say he is the tallest of men- of course that goes without saying given his elven heritage- only standing at a height of five feet and two inches. Though don’t be deceive by his rather ‘shortness,’ what he might lack in height, his body makes up everywhere else. Body wise he is toned and fit, nothing like a battle harden warrior hulk, though more ranging towards the physique of a nimble assassin, athletic at best. Still his body can draw more attention to it with the various scars along his figure, it is clear that he has seen his days, and most wounds aren’t from a crack of a whip. A trained eye can distinguish blade marks, claw marks, and other strange markings upon his frame. Yet, it is doubtful that many would-be masters or mistresses would share such knowledge and might find themselves buying something more than they can handle.

Still, who could say no, hmm? Perhaps one isn’t a body person, but more on for another’s face? It all depends on taste, Ghaun’s features aren’t boyish or teen-ish, he surely isn’t a ‘pretty-boy.’ No, Ghaun is a full-bloomed man. He may not be one much for facial hair, the question of hair may linger as well given the lack of such along his body, the only hair he does harbor is his thin, ivory brows. They are often sharply arched and curved, exposing the cold and decisive stare his amethyst, hued eyes share. Even a sour look he often feeds to those around him, his lips barely ever edging into a smile, would one go as far as claiming pouty- perhaps? Maybe that isn’t the best choice of outlooks, more detestable than anything else in honestly, as his features usually emphasize scorn to those he is around.

Clothing, clothing. Must many be so concern about clothes? It is all a matter of climate, though personally Ghaun prefers articles that are more exposing and revealing to show off his body. Not to the extent of full nudity, mind you. His aptitude to clothing really varies, but moreover he is picky, it has to be the least bit appealing to him. You won’t be catching a Drow wearing bright articles, nothing flamboyant. He rather gut himself than dressed in such a lavish manner. If anything, he keeps a rouge-ish look at all times, usually covered in various leathers or less material. Grays, browns, blacks, to name a few of the colors in which he may be seen in. Anything else is merely a guess. Though again, he doesn’t go out of his way to ’dress’ up, such a foolish move that would be. 

Personality:
Come, lets us take a look at what drives this man, what has kept him alive over the constant years within the pits and further of being sold to one house and than the next. Survival instincts have left him to be obedient, but don’t be fooled, he’ll as much as stab his owners in the back as any other Drow may. Full on submission is merely a weakness and such Ghaun doesn’t possess. There has been countless times he has been whipped given his own arrogance, his own lack of respect, and that spite he shares towards all that finds a means of being in possession of him. It is his pride that allows him to continue to go on and thrive through the hardships of his life, should he had given up at earlier points, he may not be alive as of today. He will never bow his head to anyone, unless the patron Goddess Lloth herself presents herself before him, otherwise, he sees no one else as his ‘keeper.’ None would understand the hardships he willed himself through and much less would even care, as one with a given rank of ‘slave’ has no rights within the society.

Treacherous, a natural trait that all Drow share, even one such as himself. Betrayal, it is just another name of the game of life within the Underdark. If one isn’t doing the backstabbing, than they are the ones being backstabbed; and this is a bumpy road that Ghaun has gone through over the years of being enslaved and even before such. Hostile to the core, vengeful till the end, this is his Drow way. He never forgets those that wrong him, those that stand above him, those that look down upon him, those whom believe they are superior. As had his ties of freedom were severe, many that come into contact with him share a similar fate; yet they earn something sweeter than that of being enslaved. He even doubts those that live a more ‘humble’ or ‘luxurious’ life would live long as a slave to another within Drow society.

Hatred, spite, animosity; all these emotions and more are what drive him on. One will never find one strand of humbleness about him. He has no concerns for those around him, he doesn’t weep for those he may cut down in or out of the pits. His heart is as tattered and worn as his body and he has no desire either for that of change. His happiness only comes from killing those that had wronged him, that had brought him to live such a horrid life, and he won’t hesitate to smite anyone else that may get in his way of achieving such a goal. There is no such thing as allies or friends either to him, such beings that try to label themselves as such will be treated like pawns. Everyone is his enemy and if not his foe, than they will be used for his own gain as he had been used throughout his lifetime.

History:
Fate weaves such a cruel web. Ghaun’s life prior to being enslaved wasn’t as harsh as it had been before. Nay, he possessed such potential, he was to be an important figurehead next in line of his House. Why might this be? For one he carried a natural talent with most weapons, but he wasn’t any trained expert. Another reason he was quite trained in espionage and he held all the traits to be quite an evasive and nimble assassin to pave a name out of himself out of blood; but things never go according to plan. Members within the House begun to betray one another and some were getting involve with other houses. Unfortunately the mess got too far out of control with the squabbling of fellow blood, that another House staked its claim upon the family. Fellow brothers and sisters were either killed or enslaved, though it was mostly the former than that of the latter. Some survivors that got a clean slate from both were those that had sold the rest of Ghaun’s house off to that of another group. Though Ghaun would never forget those that did, in time he knows they will meet a fate far worse than death itself.

As for his life from there? Why, as they old saying goes, that which doesn’t kill us, makes us stronger. Most of Ghaun’s life was spent more in the pits, serving as a base of income for any greedy master or mistress that took him into their ownership. They would watch on with glee when he struck down fellow Drow, monsters, and other various slaves that were brought into the ring; but freedom itself was never to be earned in fighting. Such a vicious cycle continued to repeat itself, with each day Ghaun’s skills were sharpened depending on his enemy and more often than not he received a new scar as a medal to his ongoing victories. Though there were breaks in these transitions. Lust is such a horrible thing, the desire to possess something more than can be controlled is quite a selfish one amongst his prior owners. There were those that sought to get closer, use him for more than battle talents; though in the future many would meet a cruel fate in letting their guard completely down around the Drow. A vicious dog is only kept under control when muffled, leashed, and chained after all.

Like a tarnished toy, Ghaun finds himself often picked up by one House and then another. Though the question lies who will be ‘fortunate’ enough to acquire him first? Even as a slave, his name continues to draw whispers within the Underdark. Though Ghaun will continue to fight and do all that he can to rebel against the twisted web of fate his unfortunate life has been ensnared within.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Zaer Darkwail

OK, here comes my char.

Name: Zefana Skikudis'cress
Race: Drow
Profession: Top notch mercenary captain, blade for hire (skills are eguilevant or better than most house swordmasters)

History: Zefana Skikudis'cress is a foreign drow who came to the city few years ago, starting work as mercenary for hire. He may not have been much back then but even since his arrival he showed expectional swordcraft. But after he defeated a mob boss (a local hobgoblin gang leader) he took over and then with ruthless effiency made mob into formidable mercenary unit for hire. Over time as his prowess was shown and proved many loose invidual mercenaries joined up to his group and soon group known as tar'annen d' skikudis orbben (company of steel spiders). Zefana has mixed races in his company but he elects drows as squad captains or other elite position over rank and file. But he does not do such elections if said person is not capable. Otherwise he forms entirely drow teams led by drow (but these are small and rare occurence and used only for inflitration and assassination jobs). Because they work in mercenary business the company is often hired to guard weaker houses and so his company has more than once clashed blades with House Noqulyl during their aggressive 'attacks' on weaker houses. Turning sure victory into a bloody battle and into tiresome stalemate which has then forced House Noqulyl withdraw to avoid losing more resources for fight which cannot be won quickly. Otherwise Zefana has nothing against House Noqulyl but has rather with faint smile said 'Without them our business would not be good as it is now'.

Zefana has grand ambittions but as male he cannot step up higher than this but he has arranged several businesses under his rule and he has formed monopoly around warfare and conflict and turned it into profitable business. He has made one former weaker house (house which was destroyed decade ago) as his stronghold which works part barracks, his office and also factory for siege weapons, war golems, weapons and armor. He has duergar mercenary recruits who either work on mercenary tasks or in forges to craft plain but very good quality weapons and armors which are then send to drow artistic metallurgy decorators who adds art to duergar's plain work and enchants it to be both beautiful and strong enough last in real combat. Also he has very skilled (a former house retainer) raising and training lizards as mounts and also guardian spiders.
Personality: Zefana is calm and calculative leader, but what comes to personal combat level he has 'cold forged battlelust'. He does not his own desire for personal combat rule his decisions or lured into trap, but if faced good opposition he more than gladly joins into fray and shows why he is called 'steel web'. Also he seems like art, he has habbit in collecting varied art pieces (paintings, sculptures, jewelry, poetry). His interest is mostly to collector items, art pieces which are works of artists who have already died.

Ironwolf85

i gotta extend my guy's background now... there are so many writers I feel inferior
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

Krayz

Nice characters, Zaer and Drake, and don't be self-conscious Ironwolf :) Just write what makes you happy.

Ironwolf85

I'll keep his background simple, gives me more to play with later on

Krayz

All right, here's a list of all the characters and Houses that we have so far:

~House Torvirr - Ziva Torvirr (Vergil)

~House Noqulyl - Xunlara Noqulyl (Despair)

~Pamine (elfguy)

~Zarin Valgarissh (Ironwolf)

~Ghaun (Drake)

~Zefana Skikudis'cress (Zaer)

My character isn't on the list because, with Zaer filling the mercenary captain slot in the plot, I'm simply going to adapt him to be more of a lone archmage kind of character.

We can always use more players, for people still checking this out, and while I have a plot idea that can work with only two Houses, there's definitely room for up to three more :D

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, as reference my char is level statically a Warblade 10/Eternal Blade 7. As humble request that my char is 17 level instead 15 level is because that way my char has access to a 9lvl maneuver which I think is a 'must have' to his concept as skilled swordmaster. If that's not accetable he is then Warblade 10/Eternal Blade 5.

Krayz

Since you're filling something of a leadership role, and using such a cool class (haven't looked into the Tome of Battle in ages, lol), I suppose that's fair. It makes me less of a jerk for having a level 17 as well xD (the dude I made before was a Rogue3/Illusionist5/ArcaneTrickster9; the new one is just gonna be a Wizard/Archmage, but same level).

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, I intent my guide to be former matron mother (who was renown in ancient past as most skilled sword mistress, and consider lore of the PrC she was eternal blade before drows were forced to retreat to Underdark).

Ironwolf85

Zariam is just a high level monk with his racial mental powers.

Krayz

If you want to be technical, you'd be a low-level monk, because a mind flayer's level adjustment would be off the charts...

elfguy

Haven't really kept current with this thread, do we have a setting yet, and a plot line to start with?
----