TARDIS - Dr Who with a darker theme

Started by 3ldr1tch, June 06, 2005, 01:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerian

Grr.  It still won't work.  I might be able to spell, but I'm not all that computer literate about this stuff.  It said something about an exception error, if that means anything to you...

GURPS is about all that I usually play, but I'm always willing to branch out for interesting games.  Are you really using that clunky FASA system?
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

kasen03

Yep.

And boy is it clunky :)  A bit of trivia..this is the same base-system that FASA used for the Star Trek RPG.. the one that they were YOINKED when Paramount realized that hey..they can make money from this :)

Finally done skills.. just last touches.  I don't know if I'll have it ready for public..I may fire a draft at the DM for him to laugh (err. to accept)

(addendum)  Actually.. what I may do after this..is using the modeller built into second life (www.secondlife.com) start working on a character for it.  I'm also in the middle of making a charcter model for Brat Brannagan from Model Hostages.

Valerian

Oh, so that's a sim sort of thing?  I've never heard of that before.

That must be a long list of skills.  Though a jack of all trades Time Lord is always very handy.  And I'm sure our GM won't laugh.  Much.  ;)  I just have a rough history worked out, and now I'm working on personailty traits, though so far it's really all in my head.  You know, after all this, we'd better start out in 15th century England...
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

kasen03

Sortof.  It's VERY freeform.  The entire 'world' has been 99.9% generated by the players.  And the modelling is very customizable..texturemaps can be done in photoshop and imported.. animations can be done using poser and imported.. streaming audio..streaming video.. hey listen to me I'm like an advertisment :)

ANyways..once I get Brat done..you'll see what it looks like.  The graphics arn't super sharp..it's the flexibility that's cool.

It's more the clunky system trying to buy the skills and making sure I don't forget anything important.. ya know like "Vehicle Operation - Temporal Vehicle" or "Technology - TARDIS systems" or "Temporal Sciences"

Right now determining my past incarnations..I'm slowly pulling a story around Mistress now.

Valerian

You are like an advertisement.  However, since I already have more than enough net addictions, I should probably stay away from the place.  I don't know what Model Hostages is, but I do have a cat named Brat.  :)

Yeah, all those tech skils can get confusing.  Hm, maybe we should call her Missy or something in public...
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

kasen03

Meh.  I've actually kicked the SL habit..right now I'm sortof addicted to this place called Elliquiy :)  Especially with some of the RP here..it's AMAZING. 

I think Mistress is fine..especially in medieval times..it was accepted..it's more recent that it has darker connentations.  It's also in the tone.. Mistress as a sign of respect is alot differnet then Mistress please beat me more :b

Valerian

Everything's just a gateway drug...

Yes, my character will have no problem with the term, of course, but if and when we end up in more modern settings, the title might be misinterpreted...
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Hunter

Can't say that I've seen the new stuff (been working nights and weekends).  But I don't think you'd have to be human (or humaniod) to play in a Doctor Who style game.

kasen03

Val - Yeppers :) On every account.  Besides.. that's also what made Doctor such a quirky title..it's just so perfect.

Hunter - I suppose that would be largely influenced by the DM and his idea.  If we're sticking to mostly earth..and earth of the past..it would be difficult for a slathering 14 foot beastie to walk.  (or a Dalek or Cyberman)

There is also the need for party cohesiveness.  There needs to be a reason you were taken from your world to be a companion.. whether it's you snuck on board..were picked up.. rescued..etc

3ldr1tch

I'm so glad there's so much interest in this one.

I've asked Lilac to set up a forum in NC Freeform Exotic.

Kasen I got your character. I like her.

This means the time lady is officially taken (In the sense of someone is playing her, rather than in the other sense ;))

I take it Valerian wants to be a fifteenth(?) centuary lady. So Ill nead a thread for that era.

Nat wants to be a K9, which means either she can be already on board the TARDIS, or I can give her a thread for a future earth and have her current master or mistress either die or become another companion.

I have an idea for a starting story which will bring all the players together fairly quickly. I won't give too much away at this point.

Kasen - I'm not famailiar with the game mechanics, but I can kind of guess at your skill levels.

I'm making this freeform in the sense that I will just be asking for relative descriptions of character's abilitie. I will generate a character sheet transparent to all players and roll any dice that I need to transparently. I'll use the storytelling to inform people of how injured / scared / successful they are.

I'll probably use the COC rules, only because I'm most familiar with those rules.
The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all of it's contents.

- H.P. Lovecraft ("The Call of Cthulhu")

kasen03

I'll find some pages and retype some stuff tonight from the skill levels.  Basically.. 3-4ish is average (for a human) statwise.. 3 level would be considered 'professional'  Above that gets into some expertise and specialization.

*grins* That Charisma of 6.. That's pretty nice *heh heh* This IS an adult game afterall.. I gotta be a hottie ;)

I left her psyche pretty damaged from her history.  And for the K-9.. she could have just been on the old 42b when I fell into it.. which means she'd probably be more in tune with the TARDIS then Mistress would.

I hope you liked the backstory.  Incidentally I found a character sheet (in one of the books) from like 15 years ago..that's why I worked in the husbind angle..who may or may not have escaped the destruction of Gallifrey. :)

Incidentally..if you're using CoC..I'm glad I'm not in my 2nd incarnation.. that pesky personality trait of 'fearful' would probably translate to a stupidly low SAN score ;)

Valerian

That 'other sense' will probably happen soon enough, I'm sure...

Yes, fifteenth century, please.  I'm aiming for a young woman who's just lost her family during the Battle of Towton, the bloodiest battle ever fought on English soil.  That happened in 1461, to be precise.  I'm afraid I may start annoying you with all this, though; I've read tons about the time period and I always seem to end up chattering about it too much when given half a chance.  I know a Google search will turn up several good summaries of the battle if you just want to work with that, but I can also tell you about it if you'd like.

I can make my character's skills and flaws up in GURPS terms if that would help, and of course I'll have background written up for you later on...
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

3ldr1tch

Actually I'm going to insist that you give me a history lesson. I know nothing about that period of history so you'll have to keep filling me in so that I can make the game historically accurate.

Maybe you could PM me with a basic history lesson first?
The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all of it's contents.

kasen03

*grins and is glad he won't hafta know that history..the only history she would need to know would be her personal Gallifreyan history.. of course  she has alot more time to learn.  Pesky long lifetimes :)

Valerian

Oh, but it's such fun history!  I just love it.  I've always wanted to play a character from that era.  And I only have to work out about twenty years or so of personal history.

She'll probably end up like Leela -- never quite understanding the TARDIS, but just learning to accept it and all the other little miracles she sees every day...
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

kasen03

Now that we have our game thread created, I'm tempted to go into there..but I'm holding back restraint. :) Just so eager to play .. heh heh :)

It shall be interesting learning about both your character and the point in history that you're so enthusastic about :)

Valerian

Ah, our game thread.  How nice... :)

Yes, I do look forward to settling into the game and our characters; I do always like that part.  But careful what you wish for; you may learn more than you ever wanted to know about that point in history.  ;)
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

kasen03

Hehheh..with my luck that'll be where the TARDIS materalizes.. and I'll be given a crash course in it.  *grins* Unlike the Doctor..the Mistress is not utterly versed in Earth History.  She's had other focuses for her attention..which means it will be fun roleplaying .. both the periods I know..and those I'm ignorant of.

3ldr1tch, Should we move to the TARDIS board? Perhaps open an OOC channel there for our jabbering.  I have been running at the mouth lately :) *grins*  Or if our characters meet your approval..perhaps make a character sheet thread..then some threads to start Val and myself off? ;)

Natalie C. Barney

I'm not sure if I'm going to play yet I don't have the FASA or CoC rules and can't do a character without access to them.
"Why should a woman dress like the enemy."
Natalie Clifford Barney

D&D Shadows & Shades: ~Yeskarra, Bard~
Serenity-Tales of the Chasseur ~Saranii Jannu, Registered Companion~

3ldr1tch

I'm beginning to set up the boards now. I may not be finished untill sometime tomorrow because I'll probably keep fadeing in and out of online.

NAt - I'm using the rules but they will be HIDDEN from the players. You don't have to know ANY of the game mechanics.

kasen03

DARNIT ...

I had just FINISHED writing and transposing my character sheet when it died and lost the page i was doing.  ARRG.. Computers hate me :)

Time to do it again :)

Nat..come on in..the water is warm :)

3ldr1tch

I got your history lesson, Valerian. I haven't read it yet, but I will soon.

I've set up some initial threads. Please don't post in the storyline threads untill I write introductory story posts.

Sorry to be a pain, Kasen03, but can you post your character in the character submissions thread using the character sheet template provided?

Valerian, and Nat (If you're still playing), can you submit your characters for me?

Oh and Valerian, I've put zoe back in the normal game group again on the Shadows game so you can post her waking up!

kasen03

Of course 3ld.. that's what I was doing.  Converting my character sheet to the format presented.. I had it all typed in too when it lost and gave me a 'repost form data' error..grumbles..

THIS time I'm doing it in notepad..heh heh

Natalie C. Barney

Quote from: 3ldr1tch on June 08, 2005, 01:20:40 PM
I'm beginning to set up the boards now. I may not be finished untill sometime tomorrow because I'll probably keep fadeing in and out of online.

NAt - I'm using the rules but they will be HIDDEN from the players. You don't have to know ANY of the game mechanics.

OK  :)
"Why should a woman dress like the enemy."
Natalie Clifford Barney

D&D Shadows & Shades: ~Yeskarra, Bard~
Serenity-Tales of the Chasseur ~Saranii Jannu, Registered Companion~

3ldr1tch

Just started off the story on the TARDIS thread, so our resident timelady (any any sidekick that want to start in the TARDIS) can post there now.

I'll probably start the fifteenth centuary thread tomorrow (sorry Valerian)