Dragon Riders of Pern (Interest thread)

Started by kaz, September 16, 2010, 04:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaz

Yes, I know there have been a few of these thrown around.  But I am a huge fan of the Pern books and have run a successful Pern based game for a while.  What I am thinking here is a Weyr.  And maybe a Hold. 

So if you fancy riding a dragon, let me know.  Once I know what interest there is, I will have think of a plot.
Looking to write.  Sometimes life catches up with me.  If it does I will be back...

Nightcrawler

*Raises a hand almost meekly* I stake my claim on a blue or green? <3
R.I.P. Kurt WagnerMay 1975 - April 28, 2010
Ons/Offs

Rukio

Dibs on a bronze!
*Jumps up and down like an excitable kid for a moment*
Sorry. I love those books. I have them all.

writersmelody

Ooh, I've read all the books and would love, if allowed, to play a Weyrling goldrider from the last Hatching...
- Writer's Melody

"Love looks not with the eyes but with the mind." - William Shakespeare

(Specifically Seeking Someone to Write Solas)
(On/Offs)
(Absences/Apologies) (updated 2/9/24)

kaz

If this did take off I wouldnt have any goldriders except the Weywoman.  I would start with a clutch of eggs on the sands and you wouldnt know what color you would get until they hatched.  I have some ideas :)
Looking to write.  Sometimes life catches up with me.  If it does I will be back...

sinoraa

I am semi interested. But i need a slight recap of the world, sense i never read the books.

Rukio

skyline339

Hey, I love dragons haha. I would join in a heart beat :D

bluemoon

If someone is willing to fill me in on details, I like dragons ^__^
~ᴃᴌᵫᵯϕϕɳ~
ⒷⓛⓤⓔⓂⓞⓞⓝ
The Oath of Drake

Nightcrawler

Sounds good! To those who don't know, the basic just is this:

Humans left Earth to try to colonize a new planet. They found a planet that was proclaimed 'Parallel Earth, Resources Negligible'. And so they settled on this P.E.R.N. and found tiny dragon-like creatures. They were tamed and called Firelizards. These were bio-engineered to be larger, docile and have an empathic link with a single human being which they became emotionally completely attached to. Time went by and P.E.R.N. became Pern and suddenly out of the sky rained Thread, a thread-like parasite that eats all in it's path, even poisoning the earth itself. Nearly everything was destroyed and the humans barely survived. At this point they start to use dragons to counter Thread as it burns up when exposed to fire.

Hundreds of years go by like this, the fact we ever came from anywhere else in the universe along with all the technology we possessed gone from all memory. Now the dragon riders protect the continent from Thread and that is life.

Basics on Dragons:

Golds are the largest and female and the only ones capable of laying eggs. They are 'Impressed' or psychically linked to heterosexual females. Bronze are a the next largest and the largest males. They Impress only heterosexual men. These dragons are the ones that mate with the Golden 'Queens' most often. Brown, also male, come next in order of size and Impress heterosexual males, though bisexual and masculine homosexuals are not uncommon. Browns sometimes catch and mate with Queens, but it is rare. Blue are next, the smallest of the male dragons. They Impress bisexual and homosexual men. It has been said that very masculine women can also Impress Blues, but this has never been seen in any of the books. Lastly are the smallest dragons, the  female greens. They are infertile, said to be caused by the chewing of the firestone that grants all dragons the ability to breath fire. In turn, no Golds do not eat it... They carry their riders armed with flame throwers to burn away the last of the thread that got past all the other dragons. Getting back to greens, they impress women of any sexuality and effeminate homosexual men.

About the psychic link:

The dragon and rider link minds upon Impression. They do not meld together, but feel each other's emotions and can communicate telepathically. They influence each other heavily in this way. When a rider dies, the dragon goes 'Between' without an ending location. Going Between is a teleporting ability the dragons have. If they have been there they can teleport there. With no end location, the dragon simply vanishes and dies. Humans who lose their dragons also subsequently commit suicide, though as they are not as emotionally dependent, some rarely survive and those that do are life severely traumatized by the experience. This also leeks into the riders sex life. When a dragon rises to mate, the riders of all participating dragons gather in the rush of lust from their dragons. In the end, the riders of the two mating dragons have sex themselves. Due to this, the Wyers [where the dragon riders live with their dragons] tend to be very open minded when it comes to sex and sexuality.

If you want to look into more detail look here.
Ons/Offs

bluemoon

sounds awfully sexist :P, so basically the women who aren't masculine get the not-able-to-breed puny green ones, if they aren't able to breed, do they still mate?
~ᴃᴌᵫᵯϕϕɳ~
ⒷⓛⓤⓔⓂⓞⓞⓝ
The Oath of Drake

Nightcrawler

Queens rise to mate once a Turn [year]. Green rise to mate 4 times a Turn. Don't get me wrong I get what your saying, but the greens are actually the most important dragons for fighting Thread. Greens make up 50% of the dragon population and are the fastest of the dragons. They lack the stamina to make it through a whole Thread Fall, but there are so many of them, they come in waves, allowing the ones before them to rest. And they're not puny... They're 20-25 feet long.

Green: 20'-25'
Blue: 25'-30'
Brown: 30'-35'
Bronze: 35'-38'
Gold: 38'-42'

This is only an average though. It might varies a bit producing smaller or larger dragons of a color.
Ons/Offs

bluemoon

I was only making a joke with the puny comment ^__^;
I mean, if I get what you say, people mate when dragons mate, and only mate with who their dragons mate, so what about those linked with green dragons?
~ᴃᴌᵫᵯϕϕɳ~
ⒷⓛⓤⓔⓂⓞⓞⓝ
The Oath of Drake

Nightcrawler

Humans can have sex with whom they wish. When a dragon rises though, the two riders of the pair will have sex. It doesn't matter who they are and no one thinks anything of it. It's just something that happens. And to be clear, because of a population drop, women had to stop riding dragons because going between caused miscarriage. Most, though certainly not all, green dragon riders are homosexual men. More and more women are coming back though now that the population is stable again.

I'll give you a couple of examples. A green rises and a blue catches her. We will assume the blue had a male rider as males are chosen almost exclusively.

Example one: The green rider is female. The blue rider will have heterosexual sex with her and after they will both be on their merry way. He she lands pregnant, she will not be allowed to go between or fight thread until the child is born. She will raise her child with the help of the rest of the Wyer as everyone else does. Dad most likely will help.

Example two: As the majority of green riders are male, this is usually the case... The blue and green riders engage in homosexual sex and that's that.

In either of these cases the riders may or may not be friends and either way the relationship continues just as it had before. At least with greens... With Queens which make up roughly 1.5% of the dragon population, things are much more complicated.
Ons/Offs

bluemoon

ok ^__^ you can see where I was confised for a minute there though, right?
~ᴃᴌᵫᵯϕϕɳ~
ⒷⓛⓤⓔⓂⓞⓞⓝ
The Oath of Drake

Nightcrawler

I understand. It's a lot to take in all at once and I was trying to keep it as simple as possible. Left out too much it seems... Also, for fun, Size chart.

And ignore the little white one. It's only ever happened ONCE and he wasn't supposed to have survived.
Ons/Offs

bluemoon

ohh, but I want a mini dragon hehehe...So, is there enough interest or do we need to wait for CS's?
~ᴃᴌᵫᵯϕϕɳ~
ⒷⓛⓤⓔⓂⓞⓞⓝ
The Oath of Drake

Nightcrawler

I don't know. Also, these dragons are close to what they should look like, but they're a bit off. A better look at them is here. She draws them perfectly, just like they're described in the books.
Ons/Offs

Rukio

Love the pictures Nightcrawler. I posted them straight to my favorites. And yeah. They are supposed to be ridiculously huge.

Nightcrawler

Ons/Offs

Zelric Miras

I loved the only book I read, I'm quite interested. I think it was the first or perhaps the second....can't remember most of it. :P It did had both sides of the story the before and after the thread, I think...^^; It was way too long ago.

kaz

The Pern Books have always been one of my favourites, I can read them over and over again.  The society is built around the Weyrs on Pern, with Holds supporting them when there Thread is falling.  it doesnt fall all the time, only every 250 years or turns as the Pernese call them.  A Pass (when thread falls) lasts about 50 turns.

I think we can get going, once we have some Character Sheets in others will hopefully join.  So for now heres the dragons available to adopt.  You can play a fully trained and adult rider, or a candidate (a hopeful to impress at the Hatching).  We will base the story in the Weyr, I am thinking probaly Telgar Weyr. 

Character thread HERE

1 Gold (TAKEN)
3 Bronze
5 Brown
And as many blues and greens as we need.

Gold dragon riders can be bisexual, always female
Bronze dragon riders are always hetero, always male. 
Brown riders are usually hetero, rarely gay and usually male
Blue riders can be any sexuality or gender
Green riders can be any sexuality or gender

If you want a candidate they have to be between 12 and 22 turns of age, I will pair up candidates with dragons when we have a hatching.  I will come up with a story too.  I have run Pern games for a while now outside of E.

Character sheet

Dragon riders & Dragons
Character Name:
Character Age:
Craft: If applicable
Appearance:  At least one or two paragraphs, more if able.
Personality:  Minimum two paragraphs, three if possible.
History:  Length depends of age and eventfulness of their life.

Dragon:
Dragon Age:
Dragon Colour:
Dragon Appearance:
Color code:
Dragon Personality:

[b]Dragon riders & Dragons[/b]
[b]Character Name:[/b]
[b]Character Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Sexuality:[/b]
[b]Rank:[/b]
[b]Craft:[/b] If applicable
[b]Appearance:[/b]  At least one or two paragraphs, more if able.
[b]Personality:[/b]  Minimum two paragraphs, three if possible.
[b]History:[/b]  Length depends of age and eventfulness of their life.

[b]Dragon:[/b]
[b]Dragon Age:[/b]
[b]Dragon Colour:[/b]
[b]Dragon Appearance:[/b]
[b]Color code:[/b]
[b]Dragon Personality:[/b]

Candidates
Character Name:
Character Age:
Craft: If applicable
Appearance:  At least one or two paragraphs, more if able.
Personality:  Minimum two paragraphs, three if possible.
History:  Length depends of age and eventfulness of their life.

Cross Impression: Would you like your female candidate to impress a male dragon and vice versa?
Colour Preferences:
Colours NOT Wanted:

[b]Candidates[/b]
[b]Character Name:[/b]
[b]Character Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Sexuality:[/b]
[b]Rank:[/b]
[b]Craft:[/b] If applicable
[b]Appearance:[/b]  At least one or two paragraphs, more if able.
[b]Personality:[/b]  Minimum two paragraphs, three if possible.
[b]History:[/b]  Length depends of age and eventfulness of their life.

[b]Cross Impression:[/b] Would you like your female candidate to impress a male dragon and vice versa?
[b]Colour Preferences:[/b]
[b]Colours NOT Wanted:[/b]

Pets
Flitter: Feline: Canine:
Name:
Colour: (1 gold, 3 bronze.  Unlimited browns, blues, green)
Appearance: Include the hex code here
Personality:

[b]Pets[/b]
[b]Flitter: Feline: Canine:[/b]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Colour:[/b] (1 gold, 3 bronze.  Unlimited browns, blues, green)
[b]Appearance:[/b] Include the hex code here
[b]Personality:[/b]

bluemoon

What's the "rank" and do we put the character sheets up here for approval before putting them in the characters thread?
~ᴃᴌᵫᵯϕϕɳ~
ⒷⓛⓤⓔⓂⓞⓞⓝ
The Oath of Drake

sinoraa

Anything particular i should i should know, if i wanna be a candidate? Just how does one qualify to be a rider?

kaz

Heres a few things I should have mentioned.

All male riders have their names abrviated down, so Maricus would be M'cus, or Davoud becomes D'oud. 
All dragon names end in TH so Ivinith, Souivith, Kelith etc.

Young people are 'SEARCHED' from their homes to be candidates.  Blue dragons are extremely sensitive to whatever makes a good rider.  They are then bought to the Weyr and will stand on the hatching sands at the hatching.  No one knows what makes dragons choose their riders.

If you have never played PERN or read any of the books I would recommend you do some research online, there are loads of Wiki entries out there.

If you could post all characters here first, then I can check them over.

Leo = you need to change your guys name and the dragons name  :)

Rank is if you are a rider, candidate, Crafter etc.