Terra's Rebirth. Crew needed aboard the Dirty Ivan. Apply within. Interest check

Started by DartimusRae, November 17, 2013, 07:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DartimusRae

A Troubled Past

The stars. They have dotted the night sky for as long as man has recorded history. It was also one of the places man desired to be. After all who wouldn't want to fly among burning balls of gas? Yet in the year of 2013 flying among the stars was nothing more than a dream without wings. That was until the first of the artifacts were discovered.

The first artifact was found in the Colombian Glacier in Alaska. More specifically, in a crevice of the last remaining glacier. The glacier had been melting over the past several decades, thanks to global warming, and once the artifact was retrieved, it was placed into the hands of American scientists who studied the artifact for nigh on eighteen years. During that time America was able to make leaps in technology that amazed the rest of the world. Because of that discovery, many medical advances were made as well, giving way to treatments for diseases and missing limbs. America was once more at the top of the global powers, offering bits and pieces out to the other countries, but keeping the Artifact a closely guarded secret.

After a compromised intelligence mission back to the glacier, America was forced to make a press release about the artifact and other countries began to wonder if that was the only one. America stated that it had been the only one they had found, although, through research unearthed during a cleaning operation, it was revealed that the Colombian Glacier had migrated to Alaska from Antarctica and these artifacts seemed to be from a more advanced civilization prior to our own. This news set off a new-age gold rush to see if there were other artifacts buried within the frozen land of Antarctica.

Russia, China, Britain, Spain, and Japan were able to fund expeditions to search for the artifacts, but after a year of fruitless searching everyone these countries were about to pull the plug on their searches. That was until Russia hit pay dirt. Within a single year the major superpowers laid claim to artifacts buried in their own corners of the globe. Exponential advances in technology, space exploration, and even in human evolution took place due to the knowledge gained by these artifacts, although what these artifacts looked like and what they could do were kept under lock and key. This advancement lead to the longest world-wide peace that Earth had seen in its history; lasting almost four decades. This was held in place all due to a project named Terra.

Terra was to act as a shield to protect the so called peaceful society that Earth had become. The Nations of the world united in order to terraform a newly discovered, and highly resourceful, planet to be used as a prison for those society deemed dangerous or repulsive. The project was to be overseen by a system of AI's, but human guards were also put in place to ensure the prison's sense of humanity wasn't lost, as well as to make sure that the entertainment was always on time. Yes, far from being a jail where prisoners could be fed and relax for the rest of their days, the planet had been outfitted with several arenas where those sent from earth would have to fight for their survival, all for the entertainment of those who lived on Earth. Thus began the new gladiator movement, and with it, the Nations ruling as “Caesar” over the entertainment.

Meanwhile Earth's peace grew fractured as jealousy and distrust swept over the world. A new race of humans were evolving due to the new medical advances, leading to a rise in gifted or mutated humans.. Those who were classified as "Evolved" were to be immediately captured upon discovery and studied by their respective governments. Those deemed fit were militarized and used as soldiers in a shadow war between countries to gain information on one another’s technologies. However, the evolution of humanity had grown to levels beyond containment as nearly all of the newest generation found themselves born different from those before them. Humanity fell into its most primal of reactions, of fear and distrust, which eventually lead to an all out war over Meta-Human rights. This war would shatter the peace that lasted nearly half a century and would leave the Earth lifeless and barren.

Any hope to revive the once fruitful planet was crushed by nuclear war, and the survival of humanity now rested on the shoulders of Terra.

The Present Situation 2075ad (12 years After Earth)

On the prison planet only convicts, guards, and a small amount of survivors who fled Earth remain of what was a great race of people. The guards, after receiving no communication from Earth for several days, soon panicked at the knowledge that their home was gone forever. This information spread throughout the planet's prisons causing those captive to riot and even the guards joined in the mutiny. Law and authority no longer mattered, for what was the point of holding those separate from a society that no longer existed. Those lucky enough to escape from Earth were the ones that made it away before the "event" that brought complete devastation to the planet. Those that survived range from civilians to military and medical personnel. Their pasts are unknown but one fact remains, those on Terra are now all that is left of humanity.

After arriving on the Terra the survivors found themselves on a planet with abundant resources and self-sustainable power. The survivors also found themselves in the midst of absolute anarchy. What remains of the Earth military is in a constant struggle with factions of former prisoners and surviving Meta-Human Revolutionists. The tempers from the war that consumed Earth still flare high and, left unchecked, threaten to consume Terra as well.
Terra

Terra is mostly water, high in salt and other non-consumable elements, though areas such as savannas, deserts, and volcanic mountains do exist, and the poles are capped with frozen water, each containing a prison for the worst of the prisoners. Forests and other dense vegetation cover the areas of land outside of civilization, though monsters and creatures have made the planet’s rapidly growing population difficult to tame these areas. The only safe water supply is mostly found underground, leaving life on the surface devoid of freshwater lakes and rivers. Technology is limited on Terra, so the resources to purify the slum waters of the planet haven’t been perfected yet, but the main city, Coraeth, has a working prototype that has great promise in water purification. Weather is almost always a problem; if it’s not a thunderstorm to pound and soak you, then the high levels of humidity and fog will leave you anything but dry. Precipitation is heavy yearly and it is a large factor in the colonies' water reservoirs. At least through heating and condensing, the water can be purified to a drinkable level, though the humans are still trying to adapt to the new chemical compounds in the water. Although the days last longer than nights on Terra, the nights can be considered the most alien portion of this world because if you can glimpse through the clouds, you'll find the sky illuminated by not one but three moons.

Being first and foremost a prison planet, the only urban areas are those surrounding the arenas with only a scant few mining settlements to offer hope of life. Most civilians stick to these urban areas since most of the planet sits untouched. Large scale battleships and transportation frigates, the last remaining from Earth, can often be found at the center of some settlements.

With the quick revival of post-Earth technology, factories and other necessary places also started popping up, giving people new places to work and gain income, though the monetary system on Terra is still under works, though it’s been over-all decided that credits were the best way to handle business, instead of actual paper and coin. Those items no longer have a backing system or value on Terra, other than a collectors piece, and the digital credit system is a lot easier to track, and very hard to forge or fake.

How Far We've Come

Technological Advancements have lead to progress in the fields of Cybernetics, Artificial Intelligence, etc.
--Cybernetics are common place and applied in many ways, whether it be implants for amputees or upgrades to improve the senses or other factors of human body.
--Mechs. Machines of war piloted by an individual are commonly deployed in military sorties. These machines are either heavily armed and armored, or geared with minimal armor and environmental controls. These systems allow the mechs to be used in space or other hostile conditions, and can be piloted indefinitely as long as the pilot is alive, and the cockpit is not severely damaged. Each mech is usually assigned a unique A.I., made to fit the pilot’s personality for easier controlling of the machine.
--Artificial Intelligence systems are used in vehicles, handheld devices, and even housing centers making for a very easy experience with most daily activities.
--The Internet of this age has advanced into large virtual world that anyone may lay claim to with the proper equipment or implant.
--Energy sources are mostly solar, plasma, and electricity. Ways to convert these energy forms are commonly practiced.
All and all this world is in a golden age of technology, yet the poverty line is much higher than Pre-Terra life.

Human Evolution has also advanced rapidly since the early cases. Reported abilities range from psychic manifestations to physical manifestations all the way to elemental manipulation. Mutations do occur, though are extremely rare and do not live through infancy. Meta-Human politics are still very new and most Meta-Humans are still viewed as freaks. The known Meta-human types are as follows:
--Psychics
--Telepaths
--Empaths
--Telempaths
--Seers
--Healers
--Telekinetics
--Elemental control (strictly limited)
--Mutations-- The mutation gene is extremely rare, as humans are not yet genetically ready to make that final evolutionary leap, so anything beyond just a Meta-human is rarely found, since they die in child birth. Those that survive are usually handicapped physical or mentally (or sometimes both), and those that don’t escape detection are usually gathered and experimented on, then euthanized once their usefulness is outlived. It is this practice that has a lot of tensions between the Humans and Meta-Humans, though some Meta-Humans are leery of Mutants. As such, the Mutants are very limited.

[float=right]Place Image Here[/float]
[color=maroon]
[center][size=18pt]Character Skeletons[/size][/center]

[center][size=18pt][color=purple]《Character Name》[/color][/size][/center]

[center][size=10pt][color=blue]『Personal Quote』[/color][/size][/center]

[right][size=10pt][color=navy]____________My I.D.[/color][/size][/right]
[center][size=12pt][color=purple][color=black]My Names[/color][color=navy]»[/color][color=green]»[/color][color=black] 【Nicknames, Please explain them】[/color][/color][/size][/center]
[center][size=12pt][color=navy][color=black]My Weight[/color]»» [color=black]In pounds[/color][/color][/size][/center]
[center][size=12pt][color=teal][color=black]My Height[/color]»» [color=black]In feet and inches[/color][/color][/size][/center]
[center][size=12pt][color=maroon][color=black]My Choice[/color]»» ____[color=black]Sexual preference[/color] [/color][/size][/center]
[center][size=12pt][color=maroon][color=black]My Race[/color]»»[color=black]Character Race[/color][/color][/size][/center]
[center][size=12pt][color=blue][color=black]My Mech/Ship»»[color=black]List all mechs and ships here[/color][/color][/color][/size][/center]

[right][size=14pt][color=purple]____________My Life[/color][/size][/right]

[center][size=12pt]My Mirror[color=green]»»[/color]More images if needed[/size][/center]
[center][size=12pt]My story[color=orange]»»[/color]Background story[/size][/center]

[left][size=12pt][color=purple]My Puppeteer [color=black]»»[/color]Player Name[/color][/size][/left]

The Captain and Her Crew

Welcome aboard the Dirty Ivan, one of the fastest, and most outdated cargo ship roaming the stars. He is crewed and piloted by only two natural life forms, Liliya Tatyana, and her furry companion Micah Levay, an alien life-form of unknown origins. The ship's A.I., conveniently named Ivan for Liliya's sanity, was an artificial bio-android built by the diminutive Russian to help pilot the ship, and run its weapons when she was the one piloting it. Everything on board the cargo ship was either scrapped from past battles, or stolen from earth before its fall. Micah was picked up at a tavern while trying to hide from bounty hunters, having just escaped captivity and trying to avoid going back. The two have become quite fond of each others company, and work very well together, after training him up to speed on how the cargo ship runs. He's not quite yet advanced enough for piloting a Mech of his own, but he is quickly learning.

The Dirty Ivan is an old cargo ship, meant to carry anything from simple foodstuffs and the like, to heavy assault mechas into combat. the storage bay has a retracting ramp with several attach-points for mechs to tether to while out in space. The ship can generate artificial gravity, though Lily rarely does so unless the mood strikes her. The ship has quarters for fifty additional crew members, but some of the spaces need major work. With the constant running, Lily only has time enough to make sure the basics of the ship are covered, and doesn't care much about the unused places. It's only been recently that Micah has stressed the important of strength in numbers. The Ivan can also hold twenty heavy assault mechas, with storage for each one to have ammo and spare parts. Currently, One slot is reserved for Lily's mecha, Gustov, and another mech that is always under covers, a project Lily works on whenever she has the time, and advanced parts. Micah is currently using a space for himself to learn and practice the finer mechanics of mech building and design.

The Ivan's current situation

The Dirty Ivan is back in port after a major skirmish with pirates trying to overtake the Ivan. Micah and Lily were unharmed, but the ship's armor needed some repair, as well as their warp reactor. Unfortunately for Lily, she is completely clueless on how to repair the warp drive, and Micah, while handy with tools, was not willing to chance getting caught by stepping off the ship, so that left the Captain to find crew to help repair and defend the Ivan. So, with her ship's bio-android A.I. Ivan in tow, the pair headed to the local tavern, to try and see what crew might be found.

Interested? Please comment away! we will be checking in daily, so feel free to ask questions!

Index

Because there is so much potential for all manner of weird things in the universe surrounding Terra, Rhin and I feel it best to put Terra's Rebirth in the Non-Con Exotic thread. Here is all the starting threads one will need to bookmark.

OOC Chatter Only
Plot Discussion Only
Inside the Dirty Ivan
Planetside
Character Submission Thread

RhinSama

kckolbe

I am always interested in sci fi crew-style games.  I would love to play a skill type (generally enjoy playing engineers) with a fairly worthless mutation.  Are we expected to have our own mechs and lesser ships already?
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

RhinSama

Always open to housing new mechas if you'd like to have one! Also no, you are not expected to have your own ship. The Ivan is more than large enough to house several. Though depending on how the game goes we might need more ships.

Also, do you know how to fix a warp drive? Lol

kckolbe

He might know how to fix a warp drive, though depending on what your char looks like, he might try to pull the classic "out of gas" routine.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

DarkNevaeh

Ah someone beat me to the engineer lol.  i had this weird mutation idea...but its ok.  I have other ideas. 

Interested!

RhinSama

Hehehehe 5 foot little Russian girl with knee length black hair. Will post my own profile tomorrow. For now I slept far too late and up way too early. Nighty night for now.

Heya Dark! Can always use engineers who work on different things. Game is pretty much open to anything

DarkNevaeh

My idea was a variation from a vampire LARP i used to play.

Basically the cahracter would be pretty useless as a normal human...but could 'mind meld' with the ship by going to sleep somewhere on the ship.  LEaves him very vulnerable, but able to control the whole ship, including switches, doors and so on.  Downside:  as the power grew, he gained an insane amount of paranoia...if hes not in his ship doing his thing, hes useless.  Wont talk to anyone, wont do as hes told.  lol

RhinSama

Quote from: DarkNevaeh on November 17, 2013, 08:47:52 AM
My idea was a variation from a vampire LARP i used to play.

Basically the cahracter would be pretty useless as a normal human...but could 'mind meld' with the ship by going to sleep somewhere on the ship.  LEaves him very vulnerable, but able to control the whole ship, including switches, doors and so on.  Downside:  as the power grew, he gained an insane amount of paranoia...if hes not in his ship doing his thing, hes useless.  Wont talk to anyone, wont do as hes told.  lol
So my biggest question is who's ship would he be doing this on?

DarkNevaeh

the Dirty Ivan.  He would be pilot and security...and diagnostics without being engineer.

RhinSama

Quote from: DarkNevaeh on November 17, 2013, 03:34:52 PM
the Dirty Ivan.  He would be pilot and security...and diagnostics without being engineer.

While this seems like a great concept in and of itself, sadly I don't see it working in the Ivan. The bio-andriods are the ship's OS put into a physical form. Also Lily is also very protective of anything she's built, and the Ivans might forsee him as a threat.

Now I could possibly see this be approved a smaller more controlled basis, or on his own ship. Also because we're making these powers controlled a ship the size of the Ivan might be too large for him to handle everything on it.

DarkNevaeh

RhinSama

DartimusRae

I'm gonna admit, Dark. I like the idea, and you give a great amount of flaws to offset the power, but it's just too much right now in the game. On a much smaller scale, maybe being able to run through the ships circuits to diagnose a problem without a computer system, but unable to change anything without doing it manually, I could see. Maybe earn Ivan's trust, and perhaps we can see about minor melding to the ship itself, maybe having very limited, very short control over certain aspects. it's a thought, and Rhin and I will continue discussing it as we have been

DarkNevaeh

No worries...I've been looking over everything and ive got a few other concepts in mind...

~Blind Swordsman-uses mech implants to "see" as well as boosted speed and agility.  Twin blades, one sword is a power blade (lightsaberish) and the other is a normal, steel katana. 

~Schizophrenic/MPD meta-human with an affinity for all four elements....however when he/she sneezes, he/she changes personalities.  Each personality can only control one of the elements.

~an ex-gangster from Miami who was swiped off the streets to be a lab rat.  Sole survivor of the experiments done on tho those who were kidnapped.  Has a piece of an artifact, roughly the size of a penny embedded in each forearm, though he can only feel it, not see it.  The pieces give him power over organic material, allowing him to sense living things, grow life, heal it, decay it and manipulate it.  Has learned taht anything too far either cannot sustain or wont work such as regrowing a limb, and some of these things have a backlash effect, where it will harm him and he cannot heal what the backlash harms.

DartimusRae

I like the blind-swordsman and the schizo idiea.

though, i wonder, what triggers the sneezing, and i do see things being quite comical here. Give me a rough rundown on both, and Rhin and i will look over them. We see both ideas as good, but, we want to limit only one character for now, until the game picks up. as said, this is an interest/recruitment thread. so, if you know people looking to game, drag them along.

We have to nix the idea of the third concept, as the Artifacts are so closely guarded, they would not be used in human/mutant experimentation. Life-manipulation/transmutation is really touchy, and we want to limit that right off the bat.

We love your ideas, Dark. they are colorful and unique, and I am certainly glad you found the idea to your liking. I will say now you have my pre-approval.

RhinSama

Hehehehehe I certainly ADORE the second idea. I'm giggling at the scenarios going through my head. I also love the swordsman concept as well. Though we don't quite have lightsabers yet, there are certainly plenty of plasma blades to to go around.
So please feel free to fill out a character sheet for one of them, and once the game picks up we'll open up to multiple characters.
You have teh seal of Kitten approval on either of those ideas .

Caela

This looks really interesting. I've worked all weekend though and don't have the Muse for making a character tonight, but will work on one tomorrow. :)

RhinSama

Whoot! Welcome Caela!
Hopefully one of us gets a character submission thread up and running here soon

DartimusRae

Yay! i am looking forward to seeing what you come up with, Caela. Glad to have you aboard!

On that note, time to make the threads necessary to make this into a game.

kckolbe

By the way, though engineer was my first thought, it's not the only thing I'm willing to play.  I could try a scientist type, though I would need to learn a little more about the world.  Also, glad to see ya Caela.

Intro Thread

RhinSama

Quote from: kckolbe on November 17, 2013, 09:46:02 PM
By the way, though engineer was my first thought, it's not the only thing I'm willing to play.  I could try a scientist type, though I would need to learn a little more about the world.  Also, glad to see ya Caela.
The world is pretty open form. It's just primarily limited to what sort of research was going on, before earth was destroyed. I'd more than happy to have either character type in play

DarkNevaeh

Character Skeletons

《Rico Guirrerra (Kylie, Gavin, Eliza)》

『Achoo!』

____________My I.D.
My Names»» Gavin, Kylie, Gavin and Eliza are all names...just each one for a different personality.  Each name also corresponds to an element that he or she has control over:  Rico for Earth, Kylie for Air, Solomon for Water and Eliza for Fire.
My Weight»» 178 lbs
My Height»» 5'10''
My Choice»» ____Straight/Lesbian
My Race»»Meta-Human
My Mech/Ship»»None

____________My Life

My Mirror»» /size]
My story»»Ah the life of a Spanish kid growing up...to think he has three people inside of him.  Two of them being girls o less.  Parents, siblings...the world thought him mad.  He would speak to himself constantly.  Answer himself.  Have whole one sided conversations.  People believed him dumb, stupid, insane.  Rico could do all the tasks he was set to.  Would just do it with full conversations with himself.

Rico found himself a scientist.  Science was his...and his voice's calling.  Though Eliza had some qualms, Rico was able to make it through some schooling in Terra and Mech sciences.  That was when his meta-gene manifested...and his Multiple Personality Disorder.

One night, while taking a shower, Rico sneezed....and then Kylie was staring at her naked body from the forefront of consciousness...and screamed.  She was in control?  How?  Why?  She stood in the mirror...poking at her face, cupping her full breasts and...oh god.  But what....and then she sneezed and Gavin was staring at himself in the mirror.  He groaned and slapped his face before sneezing again and Eliza looked into the mirror and heaved a sigh.  Siting in front of the mirror, she calmly concentrated and found she could commune with the others, including Rico, but now things were clearer and each could be in control.  Over the next week, as they spoke and experimented, they realized they could help one another.  While one body slept, others could be awake and be active...which was how one night when trying to make coffee and read a book and it spilled, Eliza shot fire in frustration from her hand and melted.  Within another week of talk and research, they had sorted out their powers.

And with that, and some convincing from Kylie, Rico and mental company went looking for adventure...somewhere they could survive and call home for good.

My Puppeteer »»DarkNevaeh

RhinSama

DartimusRae

Oh... My... God....I thought Micah was gonna be the comic relief of the story, but it would seem that you have me beat. I approve of this character, please move him/her to the character submission thread here