[M/M] [Scifi-Horror-AI Romance] [Passengers Inspired Ideas] Wake Up

Started by Dotley, March 03, 2017, 11:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dotley

“Earth is the cradle of humanity,
but one cannot live in a cradle forever.”

In this thread I'll list a few ideas that have been inspired by the movie Passengers. I just recently watched it and it has sparked all sorts of story ideas in my head. I'd like to write a story set in space that's equal parts slice of life, scientific mystery, and cosmic horror. Something that explores the morality of artificial intelligence, instances of epic technological failures or successes, and the psychology of human loneliness and resilience. If anything in this thread tickles your interest please PM me to further discuss it! I've purposefully left these ideas a little vague and open ended as I'd prefer to fully flesh out the setting, characters, and plot with my writing partner.
O&O's || A&A's

"I don’t use people for stories.
I use stories to express my feelings for people."

Dotley

Good Morning, Passenger 4999
"It's time to wake up now."

The journey from Earth to Eden takes one hundred and fifty years. It's a galactic voyage that's been taken countless times without a single problem or instance of trouble; what potential dangers are present is minimal at worst and statistically improbable at best. Humanity has mastered the art of space travel. Or perhaps it is more accurate to say they've mastered the supercomputer and artificial intelligence system that has figured out all the complexities behind travel throughout space. However one wishes to view it the fact is that humanity has entered a new era of exploration that comes with a guarantee of safety.

Earth is dying and Eden thrives. Humanity has found their new home among the stars and the very last of Earth's brightest and best have boarded the final flight of the ship that has been crowned the glory of human technological achievement. One hundred and fifty years. That's how long all five thousand passengers will stay in suspended animation until their destination is reached. Only something goes horribly wrong. Or terribly right. The artificial intelligence that safeguards and controls the ship awakens one of the passengers.

It wakes him up one hundred years too early.

I'd like to play the passenger in this idea and for my writing partner to take on the role of the artificial intelligence that has gained sentience and free will. What's the AI like? That's totally up to my writing partner's preference. It could be merely a computer program or it could have a humanoid/android body. Or perhaps it's trying to gain a more organic form. All I ask is that the AI decide to present itself as masculine.
O&O's || A&A's

Dotley

We Woke Up Early
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

He wasn't supposed to wake up. Not yet. He was supposed to stay in suspended hibernation until they reached their final destination. Instead he finds himself awake halfway through the journey. And there's still decades of travel time left. He's trapped on a ship hurtling itself through the stars with no way to contact help from Earth in a timely manner and no way to fall back asleep. And the computer programs and artificial intelligence systems offer him no meaningful assistance. Just when it seems like all hope is lost he discovers that he isn't alone. Someone else is awake too. And they've been awake far longer than him.

I'd like for my writing partner to take on the role of the recently awoken passenger.
O&O's || A&A's