Suggestion: O/O Day

Started by Deante, April 17, 2021, 02:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deante

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but it's titled "Suggest Anything" so, here goes.

I've noticed a lot of people either lack an O/O thread, lack a link TO that thread, or their stuff is out of date (a thing they often say when you mention their O/Os).

So how about a sort of event or day where everyone is encouraged to spruce up their O/os and update them or create them, or just link in their sig?

Oniya

I know that new members used to have a check-in after a month where we did a reminder like that.  It didn't always work, but it was a kind of heads-up that having an O/O thread makes it easier to find roleplays.  Especially with the 'matrix' thing going away, it would be a great idea to encourage people who may have relied on that to set up an actual thread. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Aidaryn

Quote from: Deante on April 17, 2021, 02:49:10 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but it's titled "Suggest Anything" so, here goes.

I've noticed a lot of people either lack an O/O thread, lack a link TO that thread, or their stuff is out of date (a thing they often say when you mention their O/Os).

So how about a sort of event or day where everyone is encouraged to spruce up their O/os and update them or create them, or just link in their sig?

This is a really good idea. I feel like I even need to touch up mine now that I've had a chance to interact with a few people.

Also, well formatted and visually appealing O/O posts really do make a difference, imo. (In other words, not like mine probably is right now).

Nachtmahr

Not to mention that people's tastes, at least in my experience, tend to evolve over time. I often find myself confused when someone writes me and requests a story about something they may even have noted down as something they explicitly dislike! I think actively encouraging/reminding people to maybe go over their profiles and do some spring cleaning sounds like a fantastic idea! And as an entirely voluntary community event, I don't see how anyone could be upset. :)

I'm not sure exactly how to go about it, but maybe it could be an event that ran for a couple of days, maybe even a week or two. You could try and see whether you could find some volunteers around the site or its staff who'd be happy to help people out, and then include a list of them in some sort of official announcement, so that new or inexperienced members can poke them about how to make their profiles/O/o's more interesting?

So, uh.. A two-week period where volunteer "designers" can be contacted to give suggestions and/or feedback, and some gentle reminders that people's profiles are a huge contributing factor when it comes to generating more traffic toward themselves?

Just an idea, of course. But I think something like this would be a great idea as a once or twice per year recurring "event" of sorts.
~Await the Dawn With Her Kiss of Redemption, My Firebird!~
~You Were the Queen of the Souls of Man Before There Was the Word~

Oniya

I know we've got a few folks who have written formatting tutorials.  It might be easier to link those into the mix, so that people don't necessarily end up answering the same basic questions over and over.  Hashing out some ideas upstairs!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Nachtmahr

That is fair. It might get a little bothersome to sit and answer the same basic questions over and over again.

One benefit of the matrix, and one reason why I think so many people opt for F-list as a third-party resource, is that making an O/o on your own sort of requires you to fill in a blank slate. If there is an official basic O/o template people can copy as a foundation, I'm not aware of it; but if not, then perhaps creating one would be a good idea? Just a simple framework that people can copy/paste and fill in?

I would offer to make one myself, but one brief glance at my profile will reveal that my visual creativity is.. Limited. >.>'

Hrairoo

Quote from: Nachtmahr on April 19, 2021, 06:29:18 AM
That is fair. It might get a little bothersome to sit and answer the same basic questions over and over again.

One benefit of the matrix, and one reason why I think so many people opt for F-list as a third-party resource, is that making an O/o on your own sort of requires you to fill in a blank slate. If there is an official basic O/o template people can copy as a foundation, I'm not aware of it; but if not, then perhaps creating one would be a good idea? Just a simple framework that people can copy/paste and fill in?

I would offer to make one myself, but one brief glance at my profile will reveal that my visual creativity is.. Limited. >.>'

There is something like that already. How to make an O/O thread(Lieges).
Each of the sections has a "How to" thread like this to give as basic a template as we can make.

RedRose

Mine is super up to date, but it's real work. Still better than answering tons of questions, still not always read.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Thesunmaid

Quote from: RedRose on April 19, 2021, 08:13:30 AM
Mine is super up to date, but it's real work. Still better than answering tons of questions, still not always read.

I know exactly what you mean Red. Although I have not been overly active as of late I am trying to get back into things and I need to update mine. But I am taking my time and getting back into things. That can happen as well. But I go get annoyed when people would pm me with "Hi there want to play (insert things that are very clearly on my turn offs list that i made very clear)"Those get old...
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: Caught up (holy shit) Current Status for RP:looking for a few

Sara Nilsson

I find my prob with the o/o post is that.. one month i might totally into rough sex, the next i dont want to write any smut...

Nachtmahr

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on April 25, 2021, 10:32:47 PM
I find my prob with the o/o post is that.. one month i might totally into rough sex, the next i dont want to write any smut...

See, that's exactly why I really struggle with it as well. It's really difficult to sit down and make a static list of things that I'm into, when what I'm into varies on what sometimes feels like an hour-by-hour basis! That's why I try to keep it pretty general, and focus on outlining a couple of things that I'm definitely not a fan of. Then I just kind of have to try and roll with whatever comes my way. :P

Nico

Quote from: Nachtmahr on May 01, 2021, 08:05:12 PM
See, that's exactly why I really struggle with it as well. It's really difficult to sit down and make a static list of things that I'm into, when what I'm into varies on what sometimes feels like an hour-by-hour basis! That's why I try to keep it pretty general, and focus on outlining a couple of things that I'm definitely not a fan of. Then I just kind of have to try and roll with whatever comes my way. :P
OMG I hear you!
It depends on the character for me. Yes, I can pin down the things I will never ever write out in detail but the rest? Pft. I can't tell before I know a character. My O/Os are just not written in stone.

RedRose

That's why I have a "YES WHEN IT MAKES SENSE"
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]