The Big Thread For the USA 2016 Presidential Candidates [Poll updated!]

Started by Blythe, July 31, 2015, 04:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaggedLouise

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 27, 2016, 01:30:18 AM
Even Fox is sick of Trump's shenanigans, it seems.

Somebody needs to do a tv skit where Trump is told, in whatever connection: "U R fired!"  :P

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Oniya

I note that his public statement mentions a fundraiser to support Veterans and Wounded Warriors.  Is he sure that this group is real?  I seem to remember him having one of these things for a 'group' that consisted of only its founder.

https://nonprofitquarterly.org/2015/09/17/the-fake-vet-nonprofit-that-sponsored-trumps-uss-iowa-speech-on-veterans-issues/
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Cassandra LeMay

Candidates like Trump who walk away from a debate don't have much courage, do they?

But don't take my word on it. Hear it from the Donald himself.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

HannibalBarca

Trump seems to be a fine example of the Dunning-Kruger Effect, doesn't he?
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Serephino

Trump... he walked away from the debate like a big baby because he doesn't want to be challenged, especially by a woman.  He can deny it all he wants, but that's the reason.  What boggles my mind is they said on the news his poll numbers are up 11%!  He can't take the heat of a simple debate, yet this is who people want representing us??  When there are protesters at his rallies he has them thrown out because he can't fucking take any criticism.  His whole thing with Rosie O'Donnel years ago was over her making a joke about his hair.  He called her a fat pig over a joke.  Why can't people see that he'll bankrupt us and start WWIII.  The man can't not run his mouth.  This.... just does not compute....

I get people are frustrated with the establishment.  I'm just as frustrated as anyone else, but people.... a blow hard circus clown with an ego the size of the planet that's more fragile than cracked glass is not the answer!

HannibalBarca

Trump and Sanders have similarities and differences.  Both are populists.  Trump, however, appeals to the low-information, white, privilege-entitled Americans.  They are driven by emotion, not reason.  While those following Sanders are fired up, they don't seem to be driven by emotion, but a combination of emotion and reason.  Just for that matter they make a more meaningful and trustworthy electorate.
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

theLeslie

I just want to note something I find amusing about this debate that's currently going.  None of the republicans will shut up when told, they talk on and on and on..  but they sure got quiet real fast int he name of ad revenue. 

Oniya

So, since Trump bowed out of the last debate, Stephen Colbert 'hosted' a 'Trump vs. Trump debate.'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Saidi

Quote from: Oniya on January 30, 2016, 06:49:28 PM
So, since Trump bowed out of the last debate, Stephen Colbert 'hosted' a 'Trump vs. Trump debate.'

Gotta love Colbert. 

I'm convinced that by this point Trump supporters just refuse to admit the guys is a psycho because they have simply gone too deep.
Laughter is the shortest distance between two people. --Victor Borge

Help me revive my muse?

HannibalBarca

I'm convinced that by this point Trump supporters just refuse to admit the guys is a psycho because they have simply gone too deep.

No, they really are that stupid:

75% of Republicans think Christianity was written into the Constitution, a USA Today poll found.

When asked on what year 9/11 took place, 30% of Americans were unable to answer the question correctly. This was according to a Washington Post poll conducted...in 2006.

Gallup found that 25% of Americans were unable to identify the country from which America gained its independence.

Even though we are a predominantly Christian country, only half of Americans in 2010 knew that Judaism came before Christianity...and that's with the gimmes Old and New in front of each Testament.

Only 1 in 1000 Americans can name all five freedoms from the First Amendment of the Bill of Rights.  22%, though, can come up with the name of every member of the Simpson family.

Worst of all:  20% of Americans believe the sun revolves around the Earth.

Trump supporters are not trolls.  Some of them, I'm sure, are nice people, though.
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Saidi

-sighs-

That is a sad truth. It is extremely baffling that people like that really exist now a days. The biggest problem is that many of them choose to remain ignorant despite being told otherwise.

If I think too much about Trump's supporters my soul aches. I'm a minority, and I have seen the anxiety he causes amongst some of my family members and friends.  I live in an area that has very little ethnic diversity and I've never felt as uncomfortable as I do now with so many Trump-chumps coming out of the woodwork all around me.  Realistically speaking, the chances of a Trump presidency are slim, but if he gets the nomination he might just win my state.  That's enough to make me feel eck.
Laughter is the shortest distance between two people. --Victor Borge

Help me revive my muse?

ThePrince

The Iowa Caucus is tonight at 7pm CST. Going to be a exciting night I think.

http://www.c-span.org/ Will have coverage throughout the night.

Here's my republican caucus predictions.

Winner: Trump
Runner up: Cruz

Candidates who will drop out after the caucus.

Huckabee
Santorum
Fionia
Carson
RP Request Thread
O/O's
I am what I am. I am my own special creation.
So come take a look, Give me the hook or the ovation.
It's my world that I want to have a little pride in.
It's my world and it's not a place I have to hide in.
Life ain't worth a dam till you can say I am what I am.

Blythe

So, the Iowa caucusing results

And updating the OP--Martin O'Malley (Democrat) is dropping from the race, and Mike Huckabee (Republican) is dropping.

Oniya

Not terribly surprised about O'Malley.  I've kind of felt bad for the guy - it's been 'Hillary this' and 'Bernie that' and 'O'Malley who?'

gaggedLouise

I wonder how long Jeb Bush is going to stay in the race - he's looked rather eclipsed by the more gung-ho guys in front lately. And "Bush III" doesn't sound like the most infectious kind of bid.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: gaggedLouise on February 02, 2016, 07:34:03 AM
I wonder how long Jeb Bush is going to stay in the race - he's looked rather eclipsed by the more gung-ho guys in front lately. And "Bush III" doesn't sound like the most infectious kind of bid.
My guess is if and when he bows out of the race he'll want to do it with a statement of endorsement - or a clear statement that he endorses none of the front runners. But for that to make any sense he'll have to wait and see a while what trends emerge. If he throws in the towel before "Super Tuesday" (March 1) it will be very close to that date. I figure he'll stay in the race for at least another 3 weeks, if not longer.

It's pretty much what I expect from anyone who hasn't given up yet - wait out the first few primaries, then throw their weight behind another candidate either for Super Tuesday, or very shortly afterwards. That way they can at least pretend to make a difference and stand a chance to get in the good graces of the eventual candidate.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

consortium11

It's also worth remembering that despite all the hype the Iowa caucus, especially on the Republican side, is rarely decisive and the more radical candidates tend to overperform there; in 2012 Rick Santorum took it and in 2008 Mike Huckabee was the winner. Of particular note may be 2008 where eventual nominee McCain came fourth (behind Fred Thompson of all people)... although 4th with about 13% is a damn sight better than 6th with less than 3% as Jeb Bush did, especially when you consider how heavily Bush spent.

The media will do as the media does and attempt to create narratives and storylines out of this but they've been wrong before and they'll be wrong again; to once more go back to 2008 after the first couple of events the media were saying McCain was moments away from dropping out and look what happened there. Any contender with serious ambitions (and Jeb does have serious ambitions) is going to wait for at least a couple more states to decide before making a decision.

ThePrince

Quote from: gaggedLouise on February 02, 2016, 07:34:03 AM

You don't stop campaigning until one of two things happen. 1) You run out of money* or 2) It becomes mathematically impossible to win. It won't be until after Super Tuesday that we will enter the point were it becomes impossible for candidates to make up the delegate difference. Jeb! Never expected to take Iowa and in the long run winning Iowa won't matter too much. A lot can happen between now and Super Tuesday and Jeb! Should have the funds to get to that point.

*Side note, Super PAC money doesn't count as they can not finance the basic things you need to run for office. Like travel expenses and a trained staff. This is why Scott Walker dropped out so early despite all of that Koch money.
RP Request Thread
O/O's
I am what I am. I am my own special creation.
So come take a look, Give me the hook or the ovation.
It's my world that I want to have a little pride in.
It's my world and it's not a place I have to hide in.
Life ain't worth a dam till you can say I am what I am.

Ariel

Trump doesn't show up to the GOP debate before the Iowa caucuses and he snags second place... I just don't get it.

Also surprised that Bernie got second place. :-\
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

Oniya

Quote from: Ariel on February 02, 2016, 01:14:32 PM
Also surprised that Bernie got second place. :-\

I'm not actually disappointed by that.  He got a very close second place after having minimal media coverage. 

TheGlyphstone

And it was second place by like 0.3%. In terms of polling, that is for all intents and purposes a tie.

ReijiTabibito

I'm actually marking that as a win for him, since as Glyph pointed out, that 0.3% is basically margin of error.  Not in terms of the numbers, but in the fact that Bernie is taking on the political establishment who has been slobbering over a Hillary Clinton campaign (v2.0) for President for the last eight years (hence 2.0) and trying all it can to build her up as the ULTIMATE candidate...

...and a guy who believes in popular governance is coming out of nowhere in the last couple of years is matching her.  Plus, over 80% of young people in Iowa voted for him.  Bernie understands that the future is our incoming generation, not the people who are already there.