Gamer juggles over 30 Warcraft characters

Started by The Overlord, October 15, 2008, 07:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Overlord

I had expected to see this eventually. I've been in Everquest since 2002 and I've seen plenty of box armies, multiple accounts is one of the reasons that game is still alive, but to my knowledge nobody there has boxed a major raid. Technically over six characters in EQ is a raid, albeit a small raid, and the most veteran gamers in my guild are two brothers that have as many as 10 accounts on several machines that they share, but this beats the heck out of that.

Still, I needed to see it...

Meet the mad king of Azeroth

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/gamer-juggles-over-30-warcraft-characters/1255554

QuoteThink you play too much World of Warcraft?

Compared to "Prepared," you don't.

In a case of game addiction gone officially bananas, gaming blog Joystiq reports on what is surely the biggest Warcraft fan of them all. Known only under the moniker "Prepared," the gamer plays a stunning 36 World of Warcraft accounts on 11 different computers...simultaneously.

Stemming from a desire to manage raids -- large-scale gameplay sessions that typically require the teamwork of multiple players -- all by himself, the die-hard gamer seems undaunted by both the financial and lifestyle commitments to such a geeky endeavor.

"It costs me exactly $5711 in subscription costs per year with 36 accounts on the 6 month pay schedule," he writes. "Not bad considering I'm looking at it like it's a hobby and there are more expensive hobbies out there than World of Warcraft."

Like yachting, perhaps. And despite the downturn in the economy, Prepared can't wait to get his hands on the upcoming Warcraft expansion, Wrath of the Lich King.

"I plan to be at the store when it opens and will purchase 36 copies of it. With tax, it should be about $1500 for all of them."

Word of Prepared's over-the-top addiction comes on the heels of the annual Blizzcon Convention, a fan-oriented celebration of the games created by Warcraft publisher Blizzard.

I wouldn't exactly say just yachting....coming out to about $19 a day I'm not surprised at all if there's smokers out there that beat this, but there's no denying this is hardcore, the skillset to successfully box a raid is something in itself. This however reinforces what I've heard; EQ's outstanding community is a big part of its success over the years, by comparison the much larger WoW population can seem cold.

Inkidu

Lets not talk about the cost of the eleven or so computers. I'm sorry, but that's addiction and sad to read about. I like my games but I can't imagine paying that per year for any game. Let alone for the same game. Maybe I just don't see it. I've never been an MMORPG fan but that's not hardcore gaming, that's hardcore need. The guys got some issues.

I think this is the truly dangerous side of video games.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

HairyHeretic

How does he run multiple characters at once? I can see you being able to handle 2, maybe 3, switching between them, but if things get hectic you're going to have all bar the one you're running getting killed.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Rhapsody

Quote from: HairyHeretic on October 15, 2008, 08:01:54 PM
How does he run multiple characters at once? I can see you being able to handle 2, maybe 3, switching between them, but if things get hectic you're going to have all bar the one you're running getting killed.

Multiboxing
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Demoness

Quote from: Inkidu on October 15, 2008, 07:57:06 PMLets not talk about the cost of the eleven or so computers. I'm sorry, but that's addiction and sad to read about. I like my games but I can't imagine paying that per year for any game....

Addiction is deterimed by the compulsion or dependance one feels towards a particular thing, not by how much money it costs. If he's starving himself to pay for it, then you could make a case for addiction, but in the absence of any such evidence I don't see it. For all we know it's peanuts to him.

And when you consider that he doesn't have to wait around for groups in order to tackle instances and raid dungeons, he may well spend less time ingame than a lot of "normal" players!

I don't see anything wrong with having unusual hobbies. Multiboxing sounds a lot more interesting to me than what some people spend their time on.

Avi

This doesn't surprise me either.  Especially when there is a whole industry in Korea devoted to WoW.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

The Overlord

Quote from: aviationrox on October 16, 2008, 12:56:24 AM
Especially when there is a whole industry in Korea devoted to WoW.

You're referring the PL and plat for cash thing?

Rhapsody

Quote from: Demoness on October 15, 2008, 11:23:30 PM
Addiction is deterimed by the compulsion or dependance one feels towards a particular thing, not by how much money it costs. If he's starving himself to pay for it, then you could make a case for addiction, but in the absence of any such evidence I don't see it. For all we know it's peanuts to him.

And when you consider that he doesn't have to wait around for groups in order to tackle instances and raid dungeons, he may well spend less time ingame than a lot of "normal" players!

I don't see anything wrong with having unusual hobbies. Multiboxing sounds a lot more interesting to me than what some people spend their time on.

I agree with this.  Wholeheartedly. 

I personally don't see the point of taxidermy or fly fishing, but I don't condemn people who spend hours upon hours learning to stuff and mount once-living things or tying feathers and thread together in intricate knots.  If I could afford it, I'd probably multibox in WoW.  I can't, so I don't.   Some people have the money to do it; to automatically say "he's addicted because of how much money he spends on a hobby" is condescending.

ETA: Multiboxing is not as easy as it sounds; in fact, it's quite difficult to co-ordinate one or two extra characters, let alone five and up.  Some people manage 5 with varying degrees of difficulty, but to be able to do it on 11 computers at once speaks very, very highly of the player's intelligence, creativity and dedication.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP

The Overlord

I'd like to see his computer room (and maybe his power bill) if he's got 11 set up at once.

Hobbies are unusual only to the ones that don't practice them, and unless those hobbies are illegal, who are we to decide what is an appropriate hobby or not? Hopefully he can afford this and eat, but whatever the case it's his deal not ours. In agreement with Rhapsody, to box an entire raid on your own is about as hardcore and fanatic as gaming gets, but not everyone could or would do it. I tried boxing two with a friend's account in EQ to PL his toons.... doable but not really my style. I'm character driven and I'd rather run one good developed toon than a canned army.

I'll be among the first members here to laud MMO's, I am active in three of them but I don't run more than one account in any...there's plenty to do in them without running more than one toon at a time.

With this guy's setup, surely he can have the best of just about everything Azeroth has to offer, but to be there, this is his lifestyle. No judgements here but I'm sure he has little in the way of rl relationships etc., and to each his own.

I've said a hundred time that EverQuest isn't about the destination, it's about the journey...something that I find rings true with MMO's in general. You get all kinds on the servers, just as in real life...and then I'm compelled to challenge the notion when people call online life not as real.

Inkidu

Quote from: Demoness on October 15, 2008, 11:23:30 PM

If you want to determine addiction all you have to do is take away a non-necessary item in his life. I bet ten to one he'd have some form of withdrawal. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Inkidu

Quote from: The Overlord on October 16, 2008, 06:26:29 AM
I'd like to see his computer room (and maybe his power bill) if he's got 11 set up at once.

Hobbies are unusual only to the ones that don't practice them, and unless those hobbies are illegal, who are we to decide what is an appropriate hobby or not? Hopefully he can afford this and eat, but whatever the case it's his deal not ours. In agreement with Rhapsody, to box an entire raid on your own is about as hardcore and fanatic as gaming gets, but not everyone could or would do it. I tried boxing two with a friend's account in EQ to PL his toons.... doable but not really my style. I'm character driven and I'd rather run one good developed toon than a canned army.

I'll be among the first members here to laud MMO's, I am active in three of them but I don't run more than one account in any...there's plenty to do in them without running more than one toon at a time.

With this guy's setup, surely he can have the best of just about everything Azeroth has to offer, but to be there, this is his lifestyle. No judgements here but I'm sure he has little in the way of rl relationships etc., and to each his own.

I've said a hundred time that EverQuest isn't about the destination, it's about the journey...something that I find rings true with MMO's in general. You get all kinds on the servers, just as in real life...and then I'm compelled to challenge the notion when people call online life not as real.

I'm pointing out he has put thousands of dollars into a game so he can what? Run massive parties so he can save himself time getting a party together. Yes it can be tough but I find that highly irrational that he's willing to pay thousands of dollars to support a hobby. I could spend a thousand dollars on Jack and I'd be called an alcoholic up front. Even if I only liked collecting bottles. I'm not saying he's addicted but he's showing some pretty classic signs of it. I can't be certain.

Oniya

Quote from: Rhapsody on October 16, 2008, 05:20:30 AM
ETA: Multiboxing is not as easy as it sounds; in fact, it's quite difficult to co-ordinate one or two extra characters, let alone five and up.  Some people manage 5 with varying degrees of difficulty, but to be able to do it on 11 computers at once speaks very, very highly of the player's intelligence, creativity and dedication.

I've juggled upwards of 5 simultaneous RPs, but that's a completely different story from something that involves real-time call-and-response.  Even with IM's, you have a lag when one person is typing.

That being said, I wish I had $5000 laying around each year to blow on a hobby. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Rhapsody

Quote from: Inkidu on October 16, 2008, 11:19:34 AM
I'm pointing out he has put thousands of dollars into a game so he can what? Run massive parties so he can save himself time getting a party together. Yes it can be tough but I find that highly irrational that he's willing to pay thousands of dollars to support a hobby.

People spend hundreds of dollars a month on paintball.  All so they can what?  Run around in the woods and get splattered by Prismacolors all weekend?

People spend hundreds and thousands of dollars a year on fish tanks and exotic imported specimens.  All so they can what? Have some nice multicolored waterdwellers to look at every day?

People spend absurd amounts of money on photography equipment, darkrooms, developing solutions and film.  All so they can what? Play photojournalist in their spare time?

Everyone has hobbies they like to spend money on.  Some can afford to spend a whole lot of money, some can't or don't need to because their preferred hobby doesn't take a lot of money - like leaf collecting.  Who the hell are you to judge him on what he chooses to do with his free time and spare money?
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP

Inkidu

Quote from: Rhapsody on October 16, 2008, 01:43:30 PM
People spend hundreds of dollars a month on paintball.  All so they can what?  Run around in the woods and get splattered by Prismacolors all weekend?

People spend hundreds and thousands of dollars a year on fish tanks and exotic imported specimens.  All so they can what? Have some nice multicolored waterdwellers to look at every day?

People spend absurd amounts of money on photography equipment, darkrooms, developing solutions and film.  All so they can what? Play photojournalist in their spare time?

Everyone has hobbies they like to spend money on.  Some can afford to spend a whole lot of money, some can't or don't need to because their preferred hobby doesn't take a lot of money - like leaf collecting.  Who the hell are you to judge him on what he chooses to do with his free time and spare money?
I wasn't judging anybody for anything. Okay maybe I find it a little sad, but I find people who have twenty cats sad too. I'm not saying he's said but it doesn't seem like he does much more than play W.O.W.  Anything can be addictive. I was just pointing out what seemed like the most obvious thing. Besides you can still function and be obsessed even addicted.

Sherona

Finding something "sad" is judging it.

That being said, many people would consider "wasting" money donating to Elliquiy all so we can do what? Sit around and write? Sheesh surely we have something better to do with our money...*smiles*

That said, addiction is not how much time you spend, or how much money you spend. Its sacrificing necessities, its sacrificing paying bills, its sacrificing IMPORTANT things to do that which one is addicted to.  There is no evidence of that here.

I play an MMORPG game called Dofus, I pay for two accoutns a year, and I play my friends (he is Ture here) and my sisters so I am running four instances. But if I don't get to play Dofus for a few weeks I am not heartbroken over it. Its just a hobby, just something to kill time.

Inkidu

So I judged I'm not going to act all self-righteous and say I don't. Everyone judges someone at least once a day. I guarantee it. I will direct your attention to House. Because he's a wonderful, wonderful example of this. He is addicted to opiates. Yet, he still functions. So maybe addiction is the wrong word, but I would definitely call it an obsession. That's not much better.   

The Overlord

Quote from: Inkidu on October 16, 2008, 11:19:34 AM
I'm pointing out he has put thousands of dollars into a game so he can what? Run massive parties so he can save himself time getting a party together. Yes it can be tough but I find that highly irrational that he's willing to pay thousands of dollars to support a hobby. I could spend a thousand dollars on Jack and I'd be called an alcoholic up front. Even if I only liked collecting bottles. I'm not saying he's addicted but he's showing some pretty classic signs of it. I can't be certain.

Might well be an addiction, but it's certainly not an illegal addiction.

The way I see it, it's his money to blow. At least he's not killing himself with drugs...if he can't afford it then he's killing his income and needs to back off. If he can afford it then at worst he's killing his social life, but not everyone feels the need to connect or be involved in tons of friendships or relationships.

Inkidu

Wasn't saying it was legal or illegal was condemning him for anything. At most he's obsessed or addicted. At least he's got a lot of money he could probably use a little better.

ShrowdedPoet

Ink, this is the news forum.  We are not here to debate addiction or obsession.  The point of this was some interesting news.  You are being judgemental and when called on it you pull other stuff out of the air to pick at.  Just because you don't like or approve of what this man is doing (or whatever your issue is) doesn't give you the right to go off flinging stuff about. 

Personally there is nothing wrong with an obsession unless it's harmful.  There is no addiction here.  I don't even see an obsession.  I see someone with a hobby.  Nothing wrong with that.  My boss who is a judge and lawyer and has ungodly amounts of money to speed byes tons and tons of railroad memorabilia. . .just so he can see it, have it, touch it.  He likes railroad stuff and railroad stuff is his hobby.  Has been since he was a little boy. . .and believe me. . .he's an old man now. 

The problem people are seeing in your statements is the continued use of things like, I think it's sad. . .he could use his money a little better. . .that's not much better. . .and you're making assumptions about a person you don't know. 
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Inkidu

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on October 16, 2008, 09:55:25 PM
Ink, this is the news forum.  We are not here to debate addiction or obsession.  The point of this was some interesting news.  You are being judgemental and when called on it you pull other stuff out of the air to pick at.  Just because you don't like or approve of what this man is doing (or whatever your issue is) doesn't give you the right to go off flinging stuff about. 

Personally there is nothing wrong with an obsession unless it's harmful.  There is no addiction here.  I don't even see an obsession.  I see someone with a hobby.  Nothing wrong with that.  My boss who is a judge and lawyer and has ungodly amounts of money to speed byes tons and tons of railroad memorabilia. . .just so he can see it, have it, touch it.  He likes railroad stuff and railroad stuff is his hobby.  Has been since he was a little boy. . .and believe me. . .he's an old man now. 

The problem people are seeing in your statements is the continued use of things like, I think it's sad. . .he could use his money a little better. . .that's not much better. . .and you're making assumptions about a person you don't know. 
You're right, sorry. I need sleep but I can't and I refuse to take sleeping pills. I've been there I don't like it.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Inkidu on October 16, 2008, 10:32:50 PM
You're right, sorry. I need sleep but I can't and I refuse to take sleeping pills. I've been there I don't like it.

. . .Nyquil. . .it works wonders. . .
Ons and Offs

Oniya

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on October 17, 2008, 10:02:31 AM
. . .Nyquil. . .it works wonders. . .

*cues up Dennis Leary*

"You look at the label.  It says 'May cause drowsiness.'  What it really means is 'Don't make any ****ing plans'!"
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Oniya on October 17, 2008, 10:16:39 AM
*cues up Dennis Leary*

"You look at the label.  It says 'May cause drowsiness.'  What it really means is 'Don't make any ****ing plans'!"

Got that right!
Ons and Offs

Kurzyk

Quote from: The Overlord on October 15, 2008, 07:25:14 PM
I had expected to see this eventually. I've been in Everquest since 2002 and I've seen plenty of box armies, multiple accounts is one of the reasons that game is still alive, but to my knowledge nobody there has boxed a major raid. Technically over six characters in EQ is a raid, albeit a small raid, and the most veteran gamers in my guild are two brothers that have as many as 10 accounts on several machines that they share, but this beats the heck out of that.

Still, I needed to see it...

Meet the mad king of Azeroth

http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/gamer-juggles-over-30-warcraft-characters/1255554

I wouldn't exactly say just yachting....coming out to about $19 a day I'm not surprised at all if there's smokers out there that beat this, but there's no denying this is hardcore, the skillset to successfully box a raid is something in itself. This however reinforces what I've heard; EQ's outstanding community is a big part of its success over the years, by comparison the much larger WoW population can seem cold.

Ive seen 5-man shaman bots in the battlegrounds with names like Nahuj, Najhu, Nuaja, Njahu and Nhjau that are virtually unkillable. But 30? Thats insane.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Kurzyk on October 17, 2008, 11:56:21 AM
Ive seen 5-man shaman bots in the battlegrounds with names like Nahuj, Najhu, Nuaja, Njahu and Nhjau that are virtually unkillable. But 30? Thats insane.

Bots?  I thought this was a real man.  Bots are computers right?
Ons and Offs

Kurzyk

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on October 17, 2008, 11:57:13 AM

It's a real person. Just an expression we call them because they all have the same gear, same class and run around in packs of 5 everywhere  :D

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Kurzyk on October 17, 2008, 11:58:57 AM
It's a real person. Just an expression we call them because they all have the same gear, same class and run around in packs of 5 everywhere  :D

Oh, ok!
Ons and Offs

Rhapsody

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on October 17, 2008, 11:57:13 AM

Programs, yes.  It's just a misuse of the word.  Multiboxing requires very human input, otherwise Blizzard wouldn't be shy about using their banhammer.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP

Kurzyk

Quote from: Rhapsody on October 17, 2008, 12:02:58 PM
Programs, yes.  It's just a misuse of the word.  Multiboxing requires very human input, otherwise Blizzard wouldn't be shy about using their banhammer.

Yea its just a running joke whenever we see packs of characters like that. :)

Oniya

I'd be really amazed if someone was controlling 5 characters in different areas (as opposed to running in a pack).

Primarch

This guy runs 36 characters at once...I still haven't got my 1 character to level 70...

Kurzyk

Quote from: Primarch on October 17, 2008, 12:21:53 PM
This guy runs 36 characters at once...I still haven't got my 1 character to level 70...

*chuckles* Pretty soon you'll have to go to 80...

Inkidu

Okay after eight hours of sleep. I don't see how he can do it. I'm with Hairy. How can he. I must dissect his brain! Mwa ha ha ha ha *hack cough*

ShrowdedPoet

. . .*laughs*  When I played I had one character that I used all the time basically.  I loved her and when I left I think she was at 25. . . 

I don't know how he can manage that either.
Ons and Offs

Revolverman

how can one person even run 32 players at once? mentally, and physically?

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Revolverman on October 17, 2008, 01:42:18 PM

They're really fucking good at what they do. . .?
Ons and Offs

Revolverman

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on October 17, 2008, 01:42:56 PM

Still, it takes both hands to use the mouse and keyboard, unless they are all wired to the same keyboard, hes going to have to control them one at a time.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Revolverman on October 17, 2008, 01:48:27 PM
Still, it takes both hands to use the mouse and keyboard, unless they are all wired to the same keyboard, hes going to have to control them one at a time.

When I played WOW I used both mouse and keyboard but I know some people who only use keyboard.
Ons and Offs

Oniya

Quote from: Revolverman on October 17, 2008, 01:42:18 PM

Mentally - as Kurzyk said, all of them are essentially the same character.  I doubt there's a whole lot of strategy when you get up to that number of bodies.

Physically, he's probably switching from one screen to the next, doing one action (strike, cast, run a little bit) and going to the next at some insane speed.  I think I'd get nausea jumping from one POV to another at any effective speed.

The Overlord

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on October 17, 2008, 01:42:56 PM

...and to a near-frightening level perhaps.

The Overlord

Quote from: Sherona on October 16, 2008, 06:22:41 PM
Finding something "sad" is judging it.

That being said, many people would consider "wasting" money donating to Elliquiy all so we can do what? Sit around and write? Sheesh surely we have something better to do with our money...*smiles*

Well, by mainstream views we're all here doing anything from fanfic to NC RPG's, and as a collective group are 'sad' and/or 'wasting' our time.

Of course if I gave a shit about mainstream, I probably wouldn't be here right now. About 99.99% of mainstream carries exactly 0.00% weight with me. Hell, I pretty much feel that a bunch of guys sitting around on a weekend drinking crap beer and watching a largely uneventful (North American) football game is a sad waste of time (nothing personal to the small slice of the board who have just read this and declared Football Jihad on me).

Cultural relativity often sets the standard on what is sad and wasteful, but just because more people agree with it than not doesn't mean it's right. Consider Jerry Spinger, Jenny Jones and other lofty pillars of the Disgruntled Poor Masses comedy network. You can actually feel your brain rotting as you watch it, but since lowest common denominator lapped it up like a horse trough of free Budweiser and corndogs at a tractor pull event, it stayed on TV.

So...find me something better to do and I'll do it. If you're donating funds so I can take another trip with Norwegian Cruise Line I'm game...some damn nice ships there.  ;)

Primarch

Quote from: Kurzyk on October 17, 2008, 12:31:32 PM
*chuckles* Pretty soon you'll have to go to 80...

Yeah I know...another ten levels I get to play catch up on with my friends. Feckers having characters at level sixty before I started.

The Overlord

Just remember the rule...you can take the player out of the MMO...but you can't take the MMO out of the player.  :)

Sherona

Quote from: The Overlord on October 18, 2008, 07:32:13 AM

Well, by mainstream views we're all here doing anything from fanfic to NC RPG's, and as a collective group are 'sad' and/or 'wasting' our time.

Of course if I gave a shit about mainstream, I probably wouldn't be here right now. About 99.99% of mainstream carries exactly 0.00% weight with me. Hell, I pretty much feel that a bunch of guys sitting around on a weekend drinking crap beer and watching a largely uneventful (North American) football game is a sad waste of time (nothing personal to the small slice of the board who have just read this and declared Football Jihad on me).

Cultural relativity often sets the standard on what is sad and wasteful, but just because more people agree with it than not doesn't mean it's right. Consider Jerry Spinger, Jenny Jones and other lofty pillars of the Disgruntled Poor Masses comedy network. You can actually feel your brain rotting as you watch it, but since lowest common denominator lapped it up like a horse trough of free Budweiser and corndogs at a tractor pull event, it stayed on TV.

So...find me something better to do and I'll do it. If you're donating funds so I can take another trip with Norwegian Cruise Line I'm game...some damn nice ships there.  ;)

*laughs* Football Jihad :D I like that phrase. Just so we are clear, I was being sarcastic about "wasting our time" here :P Obviously, *hides her Online time*