Interest check - Legend of the Five Rings

Started by HairyHeretic, December 23, 2007, 08:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Ah, I misunderstood what you said. I thought you imply the monks were also second class characters, as it were.

Edit - a couple of other points I should mention. With regard to training, as long as I see a skill being used, I have no real problem with it being raised. Just run it by me before spending points. Having to travel back to your own lands and train for several weeks to go up a level is also impractical, so once you have enough insight, you get the next rank and ability then and there.

Magistrates are also supposed to report periodically to the Emerald Champion, but I think written reports can be considered sent regularly, so as not to interfere with the game.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

LordAnubis

Alright.

Well then I guess it just needs to be decided if it's going to be rank 1 or 2.  I see 1 strong vote for each side.  I think Jep is leaning towards rank 2 and then alot of middle ground.

HairyHeretic

Rank 2 does seem to be somewhat favoured, yes.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

LordAnubis

While I'm hoping rank 2 wins, should more input be obtained?  I just want to make sure before I put too much into the character idea, since it's two different builds.

Muse

If you'd be intrested in having me as Sakura, Rank II please. 

If you'd have me, I need help making her, though, if only a way to borrow 3rd edition books. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Elven Sex Goddess

QuoteThe one person expected to have a yojimbo would be the shukenja, as others are expected to fight their own duels Smiley

So need to build this in to the character build. 

Next question is I have.  Is those that are emerald magistrates, do we have to take the advantage social position 5pts or is this assumed.  An thus given for free.   

HairyHeretic

Ok, looks like the majority want Rank 2, or are happy with either, so I'm going to say go with rank 2 characters. You can assume that at least part of the time between the rank 1 and 2 was spent training for the role of magistrate / yoriki, and can take skills accordingly.

Muse, check your PMs and get back to me if you need anything more.

Quote from: Asherah on December 26, 2007, 05:15:03 PM
So need to build this in to the character build. 

Unless someone wants to volunteer themselves, we can sort one out for you. Hiring a ronin as a bodyguard would cost 1-2 koku a month, depending on how good the bodyguard was.

The Magistrate receives an annual salary of 100 koku (1 koku being the ammount of rice it takes to feed a peasent (family?) for a year). Each koku can be divided into 5 silver bu, or 100 copper zeni. Magistrates are expected to pay their own retainers out of that.

Quote from: Asherah on December 26, 2007, 05:15:03 PM
Next question is I have.  Is those that are emerald magistrates, do we have to take the advantage social position 5pts or is this assumed.  An thus given for free.   

Neither. As a duly appointed Emerald magistrate your status is 4.5.You'll outrank pretty much anyone other than nobility and similarly important people.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Jefepato

I'm currently thinking of playing a Bayushi courtier.

Do I have to take the Honor hit for learning/increasing Low Skills during character creation?  I'm not sure I can actually start with appropriate levels of Deceit, etc. without ending up in the hole.

Dragoondawg25

hmmm i think i need to do a little reading before taking a stab at this lol :o
Heterosexual Switch: Humor DLC included
My Discord: Dragoondawg2582
Ons & Offs

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Jefepato on December 26, 2007, 09:50:56 PM
I'm currently thinking of playing a Bayushi courtier.

Do I have to take the Honor hit for learning/increasing Low Skills during character creation?  I'm not sure I can actually start with appropriate levels of Deceit, etc. without ending up in the hole.

As far as I know you only lose honour if you're seen to be using low skills. Simply knowing them doesn't cost you honour.

Plus, given Rokugani society, unless something is acknowledged, it hasn't happened :) That can be quite handy in having certain activities overlooked by your colleagues.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Jefepato

Per page 91, you lose Honor equal to the new rank when you learn or increase Low Skills (if you're a non-ronin samurai).

If I estimate my math correctly, I could very easily bottom out my Honor, and while that's a fixable problem I doubt people with Honor 0 are normally chosen as Emerald Magistrates.

LordAnubis

Well it is also honor points, not honor ranks.  UNless you're getting 10-20 ranks in low skills you should be fine.  10 honor points to a rank.  Using a low skill is frowned upon, but it isn't going to kill an entire honor rank.  You should be fine, plus you can take crafty to give you a free "rank" in all low skills, make it a little easier on you.

HairyHeretic

Hmm. I must have missed that.

I think the simplest thing is that the points you spend on initial character build won't affect your honour any. Any subsequent learning or acknowledged use of those skills during the game will incur the normal changes, but at least in game you'll have a chance to gain honour through your actions as well to offset that.

You could also buy the perceived honour advantage.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

LordAnubis

One thing that might be a good idea when we find out the clans everyone is playing, we should put down the clan relations.

Such as I know the Dragon and the Scorpion have decent relations because the Scorpion give food to the dragon and even help occasionally with the Dragon Pheonix boarder disputes.

I know in the table top versions we've forgotten how clanist the world really is, might be a good idea to have the current state of relations at the time of the game.  Just a thought.

Lanzlo

OK, sorry I haven't kept up with this thread for a while. But, I'm here now.

I can, perhaps, play a Scorpion Shinobi posing as a courtier. I'll roll her up when I get off of work later today. (And yes, I can make her Rank 2)

Elven Sex Goddess

So right now it looks like 1 crane, 1 dragon and a couple of scorpions for the clans. 

HairyHeretic

I think the only major clashes recently have been Lion / Crane, and Scorpion/ Minor Clans (Sparrow, Wasp and Fox I think), so the relations between the others ought not to cause any problems.

And in the party so far we have
Asherah - Crane Shukenja
Elayne - Crab Bushi
LordAnubis - Dragon Bushi
Lanzlo - Scorpion 'courtier'

Have I missed anyone?

Muse .. how you coming with a character concept? Got anything firmly in mind yet?
Seerious .. you still interested?
Dragoondawg25 .. you played L5R before? The samurai mindset can be a tricky one to get into, its very different from the standard gaming worlds.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Jefepato

To be perfectly honest, although L5R sounds pretty cool, it looks like we have drastically too many players for my tastes.  I'm going to have to bow out.

LordAnubis

If anyone is new to the system, or just looking for help, I'm willing to help. 

I know alot of games die because of character generation taking too long.

Dragoondawg25

i made a character once for a tabletop of the game but didnt get off the ground because i only understood half of what was being said to me by the GM.  i got the pdf file i just think i need to read more about it, i used to play the card game back in the day for a little bit.
Heterosexual Switch: Humor DLC included
My Discord: Dragoondawg2582
Ons & Offs

Muse

I'm looking at a Samurai-ko with courtier training from the Crane clan currently. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

HairyHeretic

You thinking a Kakita Bushi or a Doji Courtier school student?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

The current chart I'm looking at is a Kakita Bushi, but with Courtier, Ettiquette, and Investigation at 3. 

She's a fairly highly placed person in the family, by birth any way, with some extra money, a personal attendent, and a Kakita Blade. 

Kakita Sakura of the Crane Clan and the Kakita Bushi School. 

Air      3
Awareness      3
Reflexes      3

Earth      2
Stamina         2
Willpower      2

Fire      3
Agility         3
Intelgence      3

Water      2
Perception      2
Strength      2

Void      2

Honor      3.5

Skills: 
Athletics      1
Courtier      3
Defense         5
Etequitte      3
Horsemanship      1
Iajutsu         3
Investigation      3
Jiujutsu      1
Kenjutsu (Katana)   5
Kyujutusu      1
Lore (Heraldry)      1
Lore (History)       1
Lore (Law)      1
Medecine      1
Meditation      0
Stoytellign (Poetry)   1
Tea Ceremony      1

Advantages: 
2   Fleet (+20 additional feet of movement/round) 
3   Quick +1 Dice for Initiative
5   Kakita Blade
5   Social Position
1   Servant (Personal Atendent, Etiquette 3)
2   Wealthy +3 Koku
2   Voice

Disadvantages: 
-2   Idealistic
-3   Leachery

HairyHeretic

I think you've over spent on the points here Muse. Remember, when you're buying skills, it works like this
Rank 1 = 1 point
Rank 2 = +2 points
Rank 3: +3 points

So to take a skill to rank 3 will cost you 6 points.

Also, your rank 1 Kakita ability means you can use your iaijutsu skill in place of kenjutsu when using your katana, so kenjutsu is a skill you can afford to drop lower without hurting yourself.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

*nods*  that's how I bought my skills. 

Assuming that experience points work the same as build points.