News:

Main Menu

So, how large is it?

Started by Lilias, December 26, 2012, 05:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WingedServant

Quote from: mia h on September 05, 2013, 02:30:27 PM
I blame Neil Gaiman for me knowing that one.

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be: 34,500 words.

But I think they made up some of those words to check if people were just BS'ing the test
I've looked up several of those words, after the test.. they are all legitimate.. just obscure and limited in use.

bloodnnails

well i can tell u dactylography is the scientific study of fingerprints as a form of identification but i was lost on most of those:P

Thesunmaid

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be:
words

While we were dating my now hubby then boyfriend had someone ask so what is it that you think is the most sexy about her? He looked at me looked down at my chest and smirked and said"her huge....vocabulary."
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

Chaosfox

words

I am glad I could get in ton the average at leas >.<
There is no Order only Chaos and all the joys that it brings. 
This way too On's and Off's

NewEraW

Wow I was doing good until I got to the end
Creator of bitter sweet dreams.
O&Os
So You Think You Want to Play

Translucent Bard

words

Felt really good until the last two columns. Found myself googling a few to make sure they were actual words.

susiesparkle

32,300 words. I blame it on years of being used as the family dictionary. XD
RP Slots Available: 3 as at 5 Jul 2020
A's and A's UPDATED | On's & Offs | RP Ideas
I prefer feminine pronouns. Thanks!~ <3

Open to new RPs. Leaning subby Preferring F/F pairings..

Thorneblood

I am weary of planning and toiling in the crowded hives of men; Heart weary of building and spoiling and spoiling and building again; And I long for the dear old river where I dreamed my youth away; For a dreamer lives forever, And a toiler dies in a day.

On/Off

ting ting

Nymphieki

28,500 words.

Well, just because I know what the words meant, doesn't mean I ever use them in conversation. xD

Falanor

Quote from: Nymphieki on September 26, 2013, 11:13:15 PM
Well, just because I know what the words meant, doesn't mean I ever use them in conversation. xD

There's a ton of words on those lists I knew but I don't use them in conversation.  Heck I probably don't even use half of them in writing.

Wolfling72

Ah, I have managed since my last go round to expand my vocabulary and am in the 90th percentile for my age (40's)

40,400 words.

Not too bad for a woman who never finished college,

O/O's
Snippets
A/A's
Wolfi Recommends- changes weekly
Keep it vampirated and melanated.

Renegade Vile

I decided to give this another go and see what result comes up this time around. I had 37.800, which is about 6000 more than last time. A lot of it depends on what words come up on the list.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Galanthor

words

Yeaaaah foreign language so i think i can be proud on it.

Oniya

Just remember:  English waylays other languages in back alleys and goes through their pockets for spare vocabulary.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Oniya on October 01, 2013, 12:36:42 PM
Just remember:  English waylays other languages in back alleys and goes through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Indeed, the sheer number of words I've seen in that list that come from French, German and even one that has the same ancestor as Dutch. And I'm not even a linguist so I don't want to know how many they can pick out and trace. But, such is the nature of an adaptable, learning language.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

ToriJ

words

Just above foreigners and way below English native speakers. Not sure how to feel about that.

Elisyyr LeTharne

42, 200 wuuurrds! Yaaaaay! I did a lot better than I thought. Admittedly I thought I would fail miserably. It does a good job of making you think, and feeling dumb. Ha ha.
~I like the sound of the broken pieces, I like the lights inside what she says, we got machines but the kids got Jesus, we like to move but we both don't need this! We like to dance but the dead go faster! Turn up the SLAM now barcode blaster, we want the cash all the junk you're after! Rise up control for the next tape measure! Teenage girls with ESP! Girls with guns on LSD!~

shanester

drivebyte

Armonis

I'm pretty happy with that.

The Golden Touch

24,900 words...

Well... I thought I had a halfway decent vocabulary, but my brain died with some of these columns.

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Tise

0 words

OhMai o.o that's not good.
Not All Who Wonder Are Lost

Oniya

Quote from: Tise on October 12, 2013, 06:08:50 PM
0 words

OhMai o.o that's not good.

*goes back to look at the first page of words*

I call shenanigans.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Blackrock

25,900 words. I'm not a native speaker, but I expected I knew more truth be told. Guess I still have much to learn, I was literally standing with a dictionary open and looking up those words I didn't know (especially the infamous fourth column lol) thinking "what really?". It's nice being reminded how little vocabulary is actually used in a normal, day-to-day conversation.