News:

Main Menu

What, no Wii U topic?

Started by Wolfy, November 08, 2012, 09:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Are you telling me NO one is excited for Nintendo's new console?

Cause I know I am.

As is this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Hs224CFZCSs#!

:3 Let's hear some Wii Love.

Moraline

My opinion - It's about time that Nintendo caught up graphically.

I haven't played a Wii game in nearly 2 years. I had fun with a few Wii sports but that got old quick and I'm a graphics nut.

Now if they can just make some games that play like Heavy Rain (PS3), I'll be sold. We need a lot more games that play like movies in my opinion. I'm sick of shooters and sports.

Chris Brady

The problem with the Wii U is that it's 3 years behind the competition.  It's already obsolete because Microsoft is already looking at it's next console, and if rumours are to be believed, the PS4 dev kits are already out there.  The Wii U is just another gimmick laden console which will likely sell well for the first year and end up like the Wii.  The most sold, and returned, unit on the market.  Or shelved.  Most people who bough the Wii kept it for the parties, maybe pulling it out 3-4 times a year and then forgot about it.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Moraline

I thought the same thing, Chris. They are behind and not really adding anything special accept the little hand held interface thing.

I would have been more impressed if the handheld unit had been it's own separate system as well (like a PlayStation portable.)

Chris Brady

The other issue, Mora, is that the touch screen is single touch, unlike my iPad here which is dual touch.  So even that is technologically behind.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Sabby

Typical Nintendo product really. All the focus is on a gimmick that will have limited use and lifespan, which leaves the things that matter lacking. Like, ya know... The controller. The most important part. It looks ugly, a pain to use, and its non functional design is a trade off for something I can't see ever being more then a gimmick, let alone something of equal importance to a well designed controller.

Wow, a pad that let's me look in my backpack? Gee, that one feature is more then worth me playing Zombiiu with heavy square controller.

Sasquatch421

The sad thing is the only way for me to play Bayonetta 2 is to buy this. I think Nintendo should have took the time they used to build the Wii U to jump ahead of Microsoft and Sony. Just going for catch up isn't going to help if speculation ends up being correct and a new Xbox and the PS4 ends up being announced some time soon.

I wasn't all that impressed with the Wii and the Wii U doesn't look to be all that different. For the same price I can get a new 360 or PS3 that has more space then the Wii U has and a better selection of games that actually interest me and haven't already been out for how long.

SinXAzgard21

I don't plan on touching it.  Played a Wii for like a few hours and was bored, so yeah I don't plan on getting a Nintendo console anytime soon.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Moraline

Quote from: Sabby on November 11, 2012, 12:18:55 PM
Typical Nintendo product really. All the focus is on a gimmick that will have limited use and lifespan, which leaves the things that matter lacking. Like, ya know... The controller. The most important part. It looks ugly, a pain to use, and its non functional design is a trade off for something I can't see ever being more then a gimmick, let alone something of equal importance to a well designed controller.

Wow, a pad that let's me look in my backpack? Gee, that one feature is more then worth me playing Zombiiu with heavy square controller.

I mostly agree but it should be said that they are also having a regular controller that looks like their old gamecube ones (basically the same as every console's controller.)

You only see the big square one with the touchscreen because that's what comes with the console. You have to buy the other one.

Sabby

But its not a matter of replacing the horrible launch controller, like it was with the OXbox. The early games are designed around combinations of pads and traditional controllers. Sure, the pad can pull double shift and do a controllers job (though why you'd want to use it with a non-pad game is beyond me) but the standard controller? Nope.

Here's what will happen. Ya get the thing. The multiplayer will demand both controllers for silly reasons. Those reasons will pop up less and less. In a year or two, you'll have a graphically inferior console with standard games and no motion controls.

Just like the Wii. Nintendo sure know what their doing.

Only way ill touch the thing is Monster Hunter 4.

Chris Brady

Thing is, it will sell well.  It will sell ridiculously well.  For two major reasons.

A) It's Nintendo.  So the fans are going to snap it up and have a blast with it, despite all logic otherwise.  Especially in Japan.

B) Mario and Monster Hunter, and to lesser degree Zelda (Although Skyward Sword was a rather large sales disappointment for them apparently), as long as Nintendo has two major franchises, which are HUGE in Japan, they will do quite well.

And worse, they really don't care outside of that.  Japan is their playground, and to a lesser degree Europe, anything the West gets will be begrudging and likely years after they get it.  Because to Nintendo, we're not 'worthy' of their products.  After all, it's all about First Person Shooters and other garbage games, while they, the Big N, make 'quality' games.

Sasquatch421

Maybe Nintendo could do something to try and garner more interest over here? Something like updating and releasing a new Captain N: The Game Master series. Instead of the old gear he could have the touch screen controller pad as a belt buckle and a standard Wii controller as a zapper or what not. The other hand would have to be used to hold his pants up because to keep in touch with the kids today he would have to wear baggy pants.

Of course so they can get the preteen kids they could use Zero Suit Samus as the princess and it would make Mother Brain being the villain much more sensible. If they know who she is of course. On second thought bad idea.... Just make Super Mario 40,978 and people will buy it faster then one can say Call of Duty.

Sabby

I love this xD ask anyone what they'd do with a Wiiu game. Almost everyone has better ideas then Nintendo.

Moraline

I didn't fully understand your other post Sabby so I'm just going to post a picture to explain my post.

Wii U controller = Identical to all other consoles. (This controller is designed so they can port over every other game on the market. Ex: Call of Duty etc..)

Sabby

Yes, and you need both. Its not a choice. You don't swap out. Gaames require certain number number of players use a pad and some a controer.

Moraline

Quote from: Sabby on November 12, 2012, 12:21:43 PM
Yes, and you need both. Its not a choice. You don't swap out. Gaames require certain number number of players use a pad and some a controer.

How do you know this? It hasn't even been launched yet?

They also said that they plan on just directly porting over 100's of games. I doubt all of them will be Wii Pad dependent. I would assume for the sake of the developers that games like COD will be just ported directly and will be played on a controller - no pad required. After all Nintendo fully admits that the controller design is for the more hardcore gamer types, that was their intent all along. So we really don't have any need to assume otherwise.

I mean, I can see what your saying. Some games will be "designed" for the pad use and others won't be.  But that just means, if you don't like the pad, then don't play those games. Play all the old favorites like COD (and it's new launches) or whatever.

Anyways... I'm not defending Nintendo here. I'm just saying it's not as bad as you might think it is. It's just more options and more games.

The bad things about the Wii U are:

• The console doesn't come with a regular controller (I'm not even sure if it comes with a motion controller)
  • The console is graphically less then current consoles (it's much closer but still lagging behind) and it's far behind the next gen consoles that will hit the market within in the next year or two.
  • The motion controller isn't as good as what's available in like the Xbox Kinect (Nintendo is still using old swing controls instead of full body motion sensors)
  • The games being ported over are all old and many of them are long past their prime.
  • New versions of new games for next gen consoles while played on the Wii U will be graphically inferior and/or motion sensor inferior.

I'm sure there's many other bad things, but the controller issues aren't really something bad. The pad just offers a wider variety of options.

My complaints about the pad are mostly around the fact that they could have done much more with it. Like Chris said, it could have been dual touch instead of single touch and as I stated earlier they could have easily made it an independent portable console all it's own. These things could have made it something remarkable and exciting. PS: I can see Sony doing that with their next Gen Consoles.

Sabby

Quote from: Moraline on November 12, 2012, 01:48:35 PM
How do you know this? It hasn't even been launched yet?

Uhm... this has been common knowledge for a while o.O Some of the games they've shown require both pads and controllers. And I'm simply not impressed with the game modes. They don't look worth investing in extra controllers and they don't look like they're developed enough to carry the console.

Like, 3 people play New Super Mario Brothers Wiiu with standard controllers. 1 guy uses pad to manipulate the environment. And I saw that Mario Party I think, where 3 play in a maze and a pad user finds them or something? I don't know, it just looks like the Kinect, in the sense they release this poorly thought out, half baked peripheral and developers feel obligated to make things for it for a year or two, then give up. But the Kinect is just an add-on... this useless pad comes with the console. You need to pay money to phase it out and hope the games you won't don't have some arbitrary combination requirements.

Otherwise, your stuck with 'enhanced' ports. Like this.

Wii U - Warner Bros - Batman Arkham City Armored Edition E3 Trailer

Oh my... you mean I get to play exactly the same game as the Xbox version but with a touch screen menu?! WOW. I see this catching on with other ports. They didn't even need to add the new armour, the game is enhanced enough as it is!

In all seriousness, the armour looks worth more then the new controls, and that's a 2 dollar addon at best.

Chris Brady

On Gametrailers there's a walkthrough of the console, and there's several mention that one of the launch games (Nintendoland, which comes with the 32GB version of the unit) to fully play some of the minigames, you need to have some of the older Wii accessories.  Now if you have a Wii, and the Motion Control Plus unit, that's great, but if you don't, that can be some serious dough to cough up after paying $350USD for the unit.  Tack on whatever you need for an external and powered USB HDD (They don't recommend a SSD) if you plan to download games (which some do, not everyone) although I'd assume that if it's like the PS3's save system, some of the games would load a portion of themselves onto the HDD for faster access.

Not to mention that apparently, the first download patch is about 5GB in size.  Which is just over 50% of the space the basic, $300 8GB HDD unit.  And that's an automatic update with no way of stopping it.

Sabby

Ingenious. And yet people will buy it all, because Miyomoto says so.

Sabby

Moraline

Interesting read on the Wii U pro controller.

QuoteOK, so Nintendo is releasing a new console (the Wii U) with a new controller (called the Wii U GamePad). I’m actually cool with the GamePad — even though it’s quite wide. It opens up new takes on multiplayer, which is a very good (and welcome) thing. What I hate is the Wii U Pro Controller.

You might be saying, “Well, you hate the Wii U Pro Controller because it looks like the Xbox controller.” No. Rather, what I don’t like about the Wii U Pro Controller is that it’s too light. It feels like the first PS3 controller, the SixAxis, which was also too light. There’s no heft to it — and the Wii U controller feels as though it’s going to float out of your hand.

Worse yet, the game’s force feedback seems somewhat weak. Earlier this week, I played the Wii U version of Ninja Gaiden using the Pro Controller. I didn’t even realise the game had force feedback (I actually went back and double checked — there was feedback). That might be a good thing if you hate the rumble — but bad if you like it. I like the rumble!

The Wii U Controller also feels, well, cheap. There’s a nice gloss coating, but in the hand, it’s as though you can snap the Wii U Pro Controller in half. I don’t think you can snap it (obviously), but it hardly feels like a Nintendo-made, prime controller for the Wii U. The buttons are not clicky, but mushy, and the whole affair feels, well, uninspired. It’s not a premium product. They can call it the pro controller, but it feels amateurish to me.

That’s fine and dandy — that is, until you realise games like Bayonetta 2 are Wii U-bound.
~ http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/09/i-hate-the-wii-u-pro-controller/

I've been reading a few reviews like this.

They are saying the TouchPad controller only has a battery life of about 3 hours and it just dies on you mid play.

Lots of complaints about cheap workmanship.

Chris Brady

Which is slightly incorrect.  The pieces are light, not cheaply made.  They FEEL cheap.  I was a local EB yesterday and fondled a Wii U (which is still the dumbest name ever for a console.  Which is impressive, considering, you know...  Vita...) and it's accessories, and they are very light, comparative, but they aren't cheaply made.  It's the lack of weight that's the issue.

Which I can totally understand mind you.  I like a bit of heft to my electronics.

Sabby

Wait, the triggers are analogue? o.o Come on Nintendo... it's 2012... we haven't had on/off triggers since the PS2.

Gotta say though, I am impressed with the controller. Well, not so much impressed, just pleasantly surprised. I still think it's awkwardly shaped, but I'm just now finding out it's only slightly heavier then a 360 controller. So that's a plus.

But this is just such a Nintendo thing... all this focus on the pad, and the core of it all (the buttons, duh) just seem so lacking. Is it really that hard to step back and say hey, let's make sure this works before we go all experimental on it? No voice option through pro controller, no official headset even if you do wanna play an online game with a pad, analogue triggers, 3 hour battery life that takes hours to recharge, and won't recharge through the Wiiu itself...

Mind boggling how they release a system with flaws like this. These aren't nitpicks, this is like releasing the Xbox 720 with the control sticks side by side like the old PS2 controllers. 

Sabby

Galactic Druid

I was just coming here to make a ZombiU topic when I saw this thread.

I implore you guys to ignore that gamespot review, no offense Sabby. The game is amazing! It's the first fun survival horror game I've seen since Resident Evil decided it wanted to be an action game instead. It's fun, it's challenging, it's genuinely scary. Those of you that have a WiiU, do yourselves a favor and check this game out in Miiverse and see what other players are saying about it. I really don't understand what gamespot, IGN, etc hated about this game so much...

Anyway, any other survivors out there that want to let me loot them be friends?

(Please remember not to post contact details in off topic, we can trade by PM!)
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!