Orc Warlords of Faerun (3.5 heavily houseruled DnD player interest check)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, June 12, 2015, 01:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HopeFox

Quote from: Kunoichi on July 08, 2015, 04:11:53 PM
That certainly sounds perfectly fine to me. ;D

Then I shall make you proud, mother! My concubines will serve Luthic whether they like it or not!
If you're such an iconoclast, where were you when we trashed Constantinople?

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Kunoichi on July 08, 2015, 12:59:21 PM
Hmm.  Since it doesn't look like anyone's taken a spot as a warchieftain yet, I've got a concept for a character to fill one of those roles.  It would be a lady orc acting as the divine instrument of Luthic, the goddess in the orc pantheon who acts as the patron of fertility, medicine, women and servitude.  She'd be like a mother to her troops, and would possibly literally be the mother of quite a few of them. ;)

Sounds okay concept :). As note in this orcish world the women are not below orc men (so they can be warriors, priestesses etc). What matters more is strength and orc women are drawn to strength above physical looks (wanting strong mates) and there can be matriarchal clan where single woman can have multiple mates (simply said orc male harem). Strength can come in many forms; physical, magic, intellect, unique skills (prowess in hunting big beasts and tracking them). So long they allow defeat other orc males in contests (orcs are highly competitive, some take it so far as make lethal contests).

Naturally if someone lacks strength, they are slaves/underlings and it does not stop orc enjoying sex with them (they just would not want get pregnant from them in case of female while male orcs would breed in indiscriminating manner and see will weaklings breed any strong sons/daughters). Half-breeds are undecided matter as they haven't seen before.

Kunoichi

A lot of my character concept was based on the idea of there being a more uneven relationship between men and women in orcish society, actually. ^^; To quote from Luthic's Wikipedia entry and her writeup in Faiths and Pantheons...

QuoteLuthic is the orc deity of fertility, medicine, females and servitude. She is the wife of Gruumsh and mother of Bahgtru. Her sacred animal is the cave bear. Her symbol is an orcish rune meaning "home." Luthic embodies the orcish feminine ideal, subordinate to male orcs but still protecting the cohesion of orcish society. Luthic is described as a matronly orc with very long claws. She fights bare-handed with her claws because only the males of the community are allowed to wield a weapon. She may also use powerful spells, as such arts are not considered manly in orcish culture.
QuoteLuthic has a strong affinity for the earth on which her enduring strength is built. Although hardly kind, she tends to the injured with brusque efficiency and is the quiet bedrock on which the orc pantheon rests. The Cave Mother does not take kindly to those who abuse her name, inflicting wasting diseases on those who do. She has a nasty temper that can erupt at any time. Although outwardly servile to the male orc gods, she is cunning enough to manipulate Gruumsh and Bahgtru and through them often gets her way.
   The Church of Luthic is prominent within most orc tribes, if only because it can claim the bulk of the female population as its worshipers, but outwardly weak in comparison to the other orc gods' clergies and is subservient to the clergy of Gruumsh. In truth, the church of Luthic forms the stable base of most tribes, ensuring that a steady stream of future orc warriors are born each year. Clerics of Luthic tend to the general health of the tribe, healing those injured in battle, ministering to the young and females in childbirth, and generally maintaining morale among the tribe. They also teach simple healing and herbalism to orcs, skills that enable orc warriors to survive many battles.

Basically, I really liked the idea that orc society is sort of the exact opposite to drow society when it comes to the way they treat their women, in that women are considered lesser and expected to be subservient to men, but they also place a strong value on cooperation and are an absolutely vital part of orc society.  I was hoping to reflect that fact by creating a much more support-oriented character, and was thinking of picking levels in things like the Sacred Prostitute prestige class from the Book of Erotic Fantasy, or maybe even getting permission to use an altered version of the Healer class for my divine casting side.  I was also going to pick up Leadership and see about having a cohort with the Orc Warlord prestige class, but applying that class's bonuses to her leadership score.

My basic thought is that my character would largely have risen to the rank of Warchieftain due to a combination of her status as a divine avatar and the fact that she'd be the mother of many of the army's greatest champions, and not so much due to any particular combat prowess of her own.  She can definitely be an inspiring leader, since I'm probably going to have a strong Charisma focus, but won't necessarily be good as a direct combatant.

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, ok. We can make it so that general orc male vs female situation is drow society in reverse order (females are lessers) but there can be rebel female groups (amazons) who defy this cultural idea. Also orc women are forbidden touch anything which is considered manufactured primarily as weapon (they can use kitchen knives to defend their homes but never attack male physically, from their own or other tribes). Magic is one field where women can help in battle indirectly (healing, divinations, building structures).

But concept sounds okay to me Kunoichi :). Also I allow if you take cohort which takes orc warlord levels, it helps count your follower numbers (but point being your cohort leads them in field of battle where as your advisor to him).

I add shortly the char gen rules in detail (and easy to find) to first post along with 'how create orc clan' rules (in addittion choose game mechanical perk for said clan).

Kunoichi

That certainly works for me.  The writeup in Faiths and Pantheons only said that 'most orc females' worship Luthic and follow her teachings, so I'm definitely open to the idea of there being individuals and groups of women who break from tradition.  As for not being allowed to wield manufactured weapons, I was already planning to take Monk levels, so that works for me. ^^

Faeli

So... is it bad if you TOTALLY SUCK at making characters?  My mind, it boggles!

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Faeli on July 09, 2015, 02:47:46 AM
So... is it bad if you TOTALLY SUCK at making characters?  My mind, it boggles!

Rofl, well I and others can help build or create a char :). So long your mind can get down to 'concept' phase anyways.

Quote from: Kunoichi on July 09, 2015, 02:00:32 AM
That certainly works for me.  The writeup in Faiths and Pantheons only said that 'most orc females' worship Luthic and follow her teachings, so I'm definitely open to the idea of there being individuals and groups of women who break from tradition.  As for not being allowed to wield manufactured weapons, I was already planning to take Monk levels, so that works for me. ^^

Ok, sounds fine :). Anycase I made chargen rules now and also rules for perks/drawbacks for each clan/order/coven.

Muse

*chuckles8  now  I'm torn between working with Kuno and Fox, and creating my own warlord... 

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Zaer Darkwail

Well, you could create warlord who associates with Kunoichi's char (not married but may be in loose termed relationship?) or clan alliance where two clans united (your clan has their own perks and her clan has hers). Although orcs were eagerly at each other's throats in their own world the concept of alliances are not unknown.

HopeFox

Your matriarch lady sounds great, Kunoichi! I'm sure she has many strong lovers and many powerful children (like me!). I do like the patriarchal nature of the orc tribes, because it gives female PCs a way to stand out through their accomplishments, either by going with the cultural mores (as yours does), or by defying them, like a warrior woman from one of the rebel groups.

I like how Luthic works, too. A society can't be 100% warriors, or it falls apart - that's why we're not all speaking Mongolian today. Her example is definitely how my character will expect his women to behave, whether they're orc subjects, or human or elf slaves.

I'll be taking Leadership too, naturally, so with my high Charisma I should have plenty of followers. I plan on having a wife who is a wizard/cleric, and generally good at the non-battle side of managing my followers.

I may take Craft Magic Arms and Armor, since I will be relying heavily on a good shield and suit of armour. That means I pay half gold cost for anything I can craft myself? What about the XP cost? How will that affect my starting level?

I look forward to seeing your ideas for our clan, Kunoichi! I'll gladly help with ideas, of course. No doubt we'll have the Fertility blessing?

Muse, would always be awesome to have you on the team, or as an ally or enemy!

Faeli, yeah, we're all happy to help you come up with an idea, I'm sure. Any thoughts so far?

Zaer Darkwail

Crafting items do not drain XP but do not go crazy with scribe scrolls/potions with cohort or yourselves (I allow like handful spells per tier scribed or made potions). Also some perks can affect pricing on items so be keen on that. They can create very cheap stuff.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Muse on July 09, 2015, 05:36:04 AM
  *chuckles8  now  I'm torn between working with Kuno and Fox, and creating my own warlord...

Well, if you do decide to be one of my character's sons, I can definitely promise that Mama's going to treat all her boys right. ;)

Quote from: HopeFox on July 09, 2015, 06:06:23 AM
Your matriarch lady sounds great, Kunoichi! I'm sure she has many strong lovers and many powerful children (like me!). I do like the patriarchal nature of the orc tribes, because it gives female PCs a way to stand out through their accomplishments, either by going with the cultural mores (as yours does), or by defying them, like a warrior woman from one of the rebel groups.

I like how Luthic works, too. A society can't be 100% warriors, or it falls apart - that's why we're not all speaking Mongolian today. Her example is definitely how my character will expect his women to behave, whether they're orc subjects, or human or elf slaves.

I'll be taking Leadership too, naturally, so with my high Charisma I should have plenty of followers. I plan on having a wife who is a wizard/cleric, and generally good at the non-battle side of managing my followers.

Thanks. ^^ I'm still working out my exact build myself, but for my divine casting side, I'm definitely looking at either Cleric or Healer...

I look forward to seeing your ideas for our clan, Kunoichi! I'll gladly help with ideas, of course. No doubt we'll have the Fertility blessing?

We'll have Fertility for sure, yes.  I'm open to suggestions if there's any other perks you want. ^^

Muse

Quote from: Kunoichi on July 09, 2015, 12:34:02 PM
Well, if you do decide to be one of my character's sons, I can definitely promise that Mama's going to treat all her boys right. ;)

*laughs* 

Well, how about if I play another war cheif who courts yours a lot?  An 'avatar' of Grumsh, even? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Kunoichi

Quote from: Muse on July 09, 2015, 12:45:13 PM
*laughs* 

Well, how about if I play another war cheif who courts yours a lot?  An 'avatar' of Grumsh, even?

That could certainly work.  With the relationship between our patron deities, I imagine I've probably already born quite a few strong sons and daughters for you.  Probably even one who's risen up to the position of Warchief himself, if we wind up getting one who acts as Baghtru's avatar.

Muse

*Grins*  That would be awesome. 

Okay, I'll go with this idea. 

Let me think. 

He'll be a grey orc. 

Fighter/favored soul, maybe. 

Kunoichi

With the houserules being used for this game, the Fighter's class features have been rolled up into the Knight class.  Personally, I'd recommend Cleric/Warblade, myself.  Have the Cleric side be combat-focused, memorizing a bunch of buff spells and maybe using Divine Metamagic to persist Righteous Might each morning, and for the Warblade side, go into the Orc Warlord class from Races of Faerun to get a good-sized horde for yourself.  You can also take the Might Makes Right feat from that same book to add your Strength score to your Charisma for the purposes of Leadership, and if you're persisting Righteous Might each morning, that will give you quite a sizable Leadership score to work with.

That would be a very simple and solid build, and there's room in there for further customization if you want to add a personal touch to it. ^^

HopeFox

My mum is the best mum. :)

Fertility is good. Nothing else looks important enough to take a flaw for. That means I'll have about 120 followers, giving me a nice warband of 36. I'll have a cleric/wizard wife who is a cousin, and a brother who is some sort of assassin, as my cohorts. Do cohorts need to have a divine spellcasting class as one side?

eternaldarkness

For balance purposes since we have the orc side well-represented and I like playing the underdog I think I'll make an untheric Archmage who is a Binder/Dread Necromancer. Gonna be one scary mofo.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: HopeFox on July 09, 2015, 04:00:10 PM

Fertility is good. Nothing else looks important enough to take a flaw for. That means I'll have about 120 followers, giving me a nice warband of 36. I'll have a cleric/wizard wife who is a cousin, and a brother who is some sort of assassin, as my cohorts. Do cohorts need to have a divine spellcasting class as one side?

Cohorts do not need follow the divine class limits.

Kunoichi

Quote from: HopeFox on July 09, 2015, 04:00:10 PM

I don't think the cohorts have any class requirements, no.  For my own cohorts, the one that's going to help lead the armies is going to be a Tanarukk, and since cohorts get handled with either CR or HD, having 5 HD but CR 2 gives me a little room to add on some templates.  I'm thinking Half Fiend and Half-Minotaur, and I'll flavor it that he's one of your brothers, but his large size and immense strength come from the fact that his father was a Balor.  Since his job is to lead the armies, he'll be a non-spellcasting evil Paladin on one side of his build, to get the benefits of those Marshal auras, and the other side will have his racial HD and the Orc Warlord levels, and maybe squeeze in a level or two of Barbarian.

I'll have to figure out what to use that second cohort spot for, though.  Maybe another Tanarukk, and I can try one of those War Hulk/Hulking Hurler builds to have a living siege engine...

Zaer Darkwail

It's either HD or CR, whichever is highest from the two :P. Just to clarify.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on July 09, 2015, 11:29:25 PM
It's either HD or CR, whichever is highest from the two :P. Just to clarify.

I know, but if the character's CR is considerably below their HD, then wouldn't that mean that there's room for a template or two without having to worry about taking up future levels?  Admittedly, the ones I'm planning to take for the Tanarukk will push his CR up to 6, so he actually will have an effective +1 level adjustment.

Edit: Also, are we allowed flaws?

Zaer Darkwail

Well, with that logic I allow stacking template which push CR above HD yes. Orcish society is not kind for those who are 'weak' so I say orcs do not get flaws (as any flaws would had been strong social stigma). Also to be fair neither Unther nor Mulhorandi folks get flaws.

Kunoichi

I think I'd prefer to be allowed at least one flaw, to be honest. ^^; Specifically, I'm hoping to take the Divine Gesture flaw (which gives my divine spells a failure chance with armor), and to get that one feat you approved in the Legendary Monsters game in exchange, that works like Kung Fu Genius, but is Charisma-based.  I think it was called Sexy Kung Fu?

Other fitting flaws for Orcs could be Bestial Instinct, Blind Rage, Brash, Bravado, Honor of the Duel, No Time for Book Learning...  There are plenty of flaws out there that I think would be fitting for Orcish society, from a flavor perspective.

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmmm, ok. I allow flaws so long they are flavorful and meaningful for the characther (not just -1 to HP per level or -1 to AC etc).