News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Marking November 3rd on my calendar!

Started by Inkidu, September 25, 2009, 03:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Because that's when Bioware's new RPG hits the stands. Dragon Age: Origins. Finally something from Bioware (recently) that appeals to all you sword-and-sorcery types out there.
I recently read about it in Game Informer and I am impressed so far.
Though, as far as I can tell you're not getting the Mass Effect conversation mechanics

But you and your party members sustain lasting and temporary damage (Deafness, broken bones, etc.) throughout the course of the game which is supposed to encourage tactical thinking as opposed to hackin' and slashin'.
The blood that gets on your armor even stays with you into a nearby cut-scene really nice touch in my opinion, and with Bioware's pedigree I'm sure it won't disappoint.

X3
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Kazyth

There are more than conversation trees for this game.  Purportedly, the game will remember your decisions, both good and evil, and those choices will influence not only the reactions of NPC's that you will meet, but of your own party members.

Your party members will have their own goals and leanings, and choices that you make can bring you into conflict with them, up to the point of them abandoning your, or even attacking you at bad moments.

This is slated (I hope I hope) to be a very deep game indeed.
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

Inkidu

The magical combo whatchamacallit they've got looks really good too. I just want it to be more than "Stab a dragon in the foot till it dies" kind of thing, I really want to see having to scale the beastie to deliver killing blows.

"Hey! No one said we'd have to fight dragons... wait what's that title say again?" -Screen quote from the article.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on September 25, 2009, 04:07:26 PM
The magical combo whatchamacallit they've got looks really good too. I just want it to be more than "Stab a dragon in the foot till it dies" kind of thing, I really want to see having to scale the beastie to deliver killing blows.

"Hey! No one said we'd have to fight dragons... wait what's that title say again?" -Screen quote from the article.

But if you keep stabbing it in the foot, it should fall over, right?  That's what always happens with the Atlas in Mechwarrior...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on September 25, 2009, 08:26:36 PM
But if you keep stabbing it in the foot, it should fall over, right?  That's what always happens with the Atlas in Mechwarrior...
Then he just tale-swipes you or something...

Nine out of ten knights agree... stabbing directly into the brain is the number one scientific way for dragon removal.

Oniya

Well, once you get him to fall over, then you can reach the brain without climbing the dragon.   ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on September 25, 2009, 08:50:50 PM
Well, once you get him to fall over, then you can reach the brain without climbing the dragon.   ;D
Well maybe but you take severe hits to your knightly-ness factor.

DairXV

Whenever faced with a dragon, or really any problem physically larger than my game avatar, a quote from my favorite fanfic, Shinji and Warhammer 40k (I'm an Evangelion fan, not Warhammer), comes to mind:

Quote"Well, that might be hard considering he's taller than I am." he had enough
attention to spare for that, even as he parted some of the girl's hair away from
her tightly-shut eyes. She was so familiar... like that brief vision he saw at
the street? It couldn't have been this girl, but still he felt as if he should
-know- her somehow.

"How is that a problem? Remember, plan sequentially." the Farseer said far too
calmly. "Kick him in the shin, first, and when he lifts that leg to rub it, you
may punch him in the genitals. THEN when he is kneeling is WHEN you may kick him
in the teeth."

Silence met her declaration, stretching out in the timeless nature of the mind.

"... when you say things like that" the Space Marine was finally brave enough to
say. "Is when I am reminded as to why your Race ruled the galaxy for eons before
humanity had even evolved out of our primate ancestors."

Somehow that seems to justify the stabbing a dragon in the foot stratagem.

Inkidu

If you say so.

I thought it came out of the fact no one in D&D wanted to deal with all the grappling and climbing involved when they could kill it by giving it the dragon equivalent of a rust nail through the foot. 

DairXV

That would be justifiable in certain versions of D&D, considering you're looking at about 4 hours of rule-checking and dice rolling to figure if you get past the kneecap of the dragon. And that's assuming nobody argues over the rules.

Inkidu

Quote from: DairXV on September 25, 2009, 09:18:35 PM
That would be justifiable in certain versions of D&D, considering you're looking at about 4 hours of rule-checking and dice rolling to figure if you get past the kneecap of the dragon. And that's assuming nobody argues over the rules.
They really need to find a way to streamline that. Because it really falls down when you try to present a realistic fantasy adventure and you can stab a dragon in the foot until it dies. I mean come on.

DairXV

The current version does streamline it, it now takes 2 hours to do the whole process...  >:)

At any rate, I'm looking forward to the role play aspects of Dragon Age, I can't remember the last time I played a game where my choices had far-reaching consequences in the game.

Inkidu

I like the idea of strategy that doesn't require the typical rock-scissors-paper style that so many JRPGS and some American ones are infamous for.

Though I don't know maybe Dragon Age will disappoint me on that regard.

Inkidu

Only one day between now and then!

I'm a little worried. They were saying the system is a lot like the gambit system. I hope it's better than Final Fantasy XII's. That was just ridiculous.

Avi

Well, initial reviews seem to have been very positive, so I'm hopeful.  I'm especially interested in the morality system and social dynamics between the party members. 

I'm a Bioware fan regardless, so I've already got my pre-order in, and it's supposed to be delivered on Tuesday. 
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Inkidu

Quote from: Avi on November 01, 2009, 04:47:06 PM
Well, initial reviews seem to have been very positive, so I'm hopeful.  I'm especially interested in the morality system and social dynamics between the party members. 

I'm a Bioware fan regardless, so I've already got my pre-order in, and it's supposed to be delivered on Tuesday.
I'm hoping to just go in and grab, I say this because Mass Effect never sold out anywhere in my area so, here's hoping.

I like the different origin story ideas.
Also they said if you're a do-everything gamer the game will take you about 70 hours, and 40 if you're not.

Which is odd for Bioware really.

Kate

if they did exist Its so unlikely anyone could kill a dragon other than with poision or traps.

If you are smaller than a mouse from its perspective - and have tough skin - i mean really.

there are two reasons they have a lot of treasure

a) Because they like it
b) They always win confrontations where ownership is getting resolved.

DarklingAlice

I have such high hopes for this game even if I am a little upset that they didn't keep the Mass Effect conversation system. I really liked that and thought it was very well implemented. Still, nothing wrong with the old standby.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Inkidu

Quote from: DarklingAlice on November 01, 2009, 06:12:51 PM
I have such high hopes for this game even if I am a little upset that they didn't keep the Mass Effect conversation system. I really liked that and thought it was very well implemented. Still, nothing wrong with the old standby.
The problem is that it's a very labor intensive system. It requires lots of voice over and extensive planning. Mass Effect was obviously a test for it to see if it took. They obviously want to work on the action and effect part of their game building with this one.

Avi

Quote from: DarklingAlice on November 01, 2009, 06:12:51 PM

The good news is that Mass Effect 2 isn't too far away, and they're bringing back the new dialogue system for it, with the vaunted interruption system that they decided not to implement for the first as well.

Inkidu

Quote from: Avi on November 01, 2009, 06:28:37 PM
The good news is that Mass Effect 2 isn't too far away, and they're bringing back the new dialogue system for it, with the vaunted interruption system that they decided not to implement for the first as well.
Interruption?

DarklingAlice

Squeeeee! I just got it! >_< But I promised my wife that I would wait until she got home to start it...so now I am in for six and a half hours of torment and anticipation...
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Chris Brady

Got the collector's edition and installing it now.  I also got the Character Creator they released a couple weeks back.  And luckily I have a desktop that can run it now!
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

Got it, played it, love it. Though a lot of the tactics escape me at the moment.

Avi

Quote from: Inkidu on November 02, 2009, 08:15:51 PM
Interruption?

Being able to interrupt someone during a dialogue.  For example, if some bureaucrat is blathering on about procedure and protocol, Shepard can interject with something about not caring about procedure and demanding to see the official immediately.

On Dragon Age... I am enjoying it so far, especially the dialogue and storyline.  Very Lord of the Rings esque... and you really come to hate Darkspawn very quickly.