Hurricane Irma...OH MY!!!

Started by Mister Ugly, September 07, 2017, 05:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Ugly

Well darn it! It seems Irma has shifted westward. That means all my careful preparations may be for nothing. You see I live in central Florida. South east Orlando in fact and I have been through numerous hurricanes. Cat 1 & 2 normally race up the coast a hundred + miles off shore and we get winds around 45+ mph and rain and not much else. Irma is the first hurricane in 20 years that I broke out the shutters and supports for. We also updated our 'stash' and I double checked the generator. This was all done when it looked like the 'Bxxxx' was headed along the east coast. We would have gotten 70+ mph winds for several hours and tons of rain. This was the planned for.

Irma just didn't play along. As of 6pm est the track takes it right up the middle of Florida. We could be looking at 90+ mph winds for 20+ hours.  :o :o :o

That is still sinking in.... a cat 2 with 90+ mph winds for 20-30 hours... Oh hell's bells!!

We are debating on heading to a shelter. Running on packed roads is not in our plans. Lucky we have water for a week and laid in extra dry food. Froze gallons of water as well as bottles and we have a well. Right now I am scrambling to find an eyedropper for bleach to add to water from the well. Last time we had a Hurricane come through here was in 2004 with Charlie and we had no power for 3 weeks... I am on a small transformer with only 4 other houses so we were far down the list.

I am going out later for more ice and in search of that elusive H2O just in case. We have a freezer and a small dorm type frig in the strongest room...the utility room [has 3 sides of concrete block and brick on the outside]. Our house is an older one with block and a brick façade and we had a new strong roof put on 6 years ago...so my fingers are crossed.

20 + hours of Hurricane force winds.... that takes a big mental reset

MU
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits"
Albert Einstein

What makes the ugly feel pretty ...

Shores

I hope you keep safe!

I've never experienced a hurricane before and it sounds scary. This is my inexperience talking, but could you drink the rainwater that falls from the sky? I tried googling it and besides warning not to drink if you live near a radiation zone or in a city with acid rain, there's nothing about drinking hurricane rain water.

Mister Ugly

Quote from: Shores on September 07, 2017, 06:25:03 PM
I hope you keep safe!

I've never experienced a hurricane before and it sounds scary. This is my inexperience talking, but could you drink the rainwater that falls from the sky? I tried googling it and besides warning not to drink if you live near a radiation zone or in a city with acid rain, there's nothing about drinking hurricane rain water.

The problem would be catching the rain...think like this ...a 30mph wind is hard to stand up in and rain would be with at least 45mph plus. Anything placed to catch it would have to be very very well secured or it is gone. We have water for 5 days that is a recommended 1 gallon a day per person. Food for about 5 as well if everything stays basically in place.

As far as I know one should be able to drink rain water or I did as a kid way back in the dark ages before there was  ;) ;) remote controls for the TVs [of course my dad had remote before anyone else... 4 boys he would shout at to go change the channel]

Thanks for the concern Shores. The Hussy Irma wont be here to sometime late Sunday...I do worry about Miami... we could easy be down a full city or two...Irma is excepted to hit Miami with 150mph winds and batter it for 20+ hours.... :o

MU
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
Albert Einstein

Shores

Oh I see!!!! Yes catching the rain would be a big problem. Thank you for answering my question!

Cognitive Brainfart

I've never experienced a hurricane or anything like that, though they are being mentioned on the news whenever they occur elsewhere. I can't imagine how it must feel to know that such a thing is coming your way. I don't even know what I'd do in such a scenario. Run away or stay and hope for the best? I understand that there are some preparations one can make beforehand but it still sound terrifying. Do people always have to leave their home, or is it only if the storm gets too bad?

Hope you stay safe!

Iniquitous

Quote from: Cognitive Brainfart on September 08, 2017, 03:52:34 PM
I've never experienced a hurricane or anything like that, though they are being mentioned on the news whenever they occur elsewhere. I can't imagine how it must feel to know that such a thing is coming your way. I don't even know what I'd do in such a scenario. Run away or stay and hope for the best? I understand that there are some preparations one can make beforehand but it still sound terrifying. Do people always have to leave their home, or is it only if the storm gets too bad?

Hope you stay safe!

Some will chose to leave if the storm is a certain Category level or above. Others choose to leave no matter what.  And others will hunker down and stay unless forced to leave.  Governors tend not to take chances anymore and will issue mandatory evac orders if it looks like conditions will be especially severe (which is why CrownedSun had to evacuate today).

I have known people who have remained even when the storm reached higher level cat ratings because they were simply too stubborn to leave.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

HoodedStranger

Quote from: Iniquitous on September 08, 2017, 04:06:29 PM
Some will chose to leave if the storm is a certain Category level or above. Others choose to leave no matter what.  And others will hunker down and stay unless forced to leave.  Governors tend not to take chances anymore and will issue mandatory evac orders if it looks like conditions will be especially severe (which is why CrownedSun had to evacuate today).

I have known people who have remained even when the storm reached higher level cat ratings because they were simply too stubborn to leave.
I don't necessarily know if it has anything to do with stubbornness so much as they've either accepted that this may be the end for them (usually older generations) or they may not have anywhere else to go and don't wish to seek the help or move to one of the available evacuation shelters they've established for evacuees.

I wish the best of luck to everyone in Florida, evacuating or staying. Irma, Jose and Katia, the southeast coast just isn't having much luck this summer/fall.

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: HoodedStranger on September 08, 2017, 06:35:40 PM
I don't necessarily know if it has anything to do with stubbornness so much as they've either accepted that this may be the end for them (usually older generations) or they may not have anywhere else to go and don't wish to seek the help or move to one of the available evacuation shelters they've established for evacuees.

I wish the best of luck to everyone in Florida, evacuating or staying. Irma, Jose and Katia, the southeast coast just isn't having much luck this summer/fall.
Katia is gone and Jose is moving away.  The newest forecast is it's heading up the west coast.  Might come on land in Ft Meyers or Tampa.  I'm in the Tampa bay area and am actually quite scared tonight.  We have as much prep work as we can do and now, it's just staying calm.  Amaretto helps.
My special reading for those affected by Irma:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=271418.msg13504597#msg13504597
To some, steampunk is a catchall term, a concept in search of a visual identity. To me, it’s essentially the intersection of technology and romance. – Jake von Slatt
Saturn Reads Tarot (Free) & E*rotic Readings,
Lickable Limericks, Saturn's Celestial Void, Saturn's Celestial Sojourn

Oreo

Hoping everyone weathers the storm in safety. I can't begin to imagine the fright of something like that coming and you know it is on the way. I get terrified when 60mph winds are forecast. You are all on my mind. Sending out good vibes and hope you are all safe with houses still standing at storm's end.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

stormwyrm

I live in a country on the other side of the Pacific, no stranger to tropical cyclones (though we call them typhoons around here rather than hurricanes), and know just how terrible they can be. I wish all of you in its path the best of luck and hope for your safety as the storm passes.
If there is such a phenomenon as absolute evil, it consists in treating another human being as a thing.
O/OA/A, Requests

RubySlippers

My wife told me to go to Saint Petersburg to be with family, so did, now the bitch moved towards us well my family is digging in, shotguns are loaded and the warning sign out in English that unless we know the people, they are in uniform or have official volunteer status badges on anyone breaking into the home maybe face multiple shotguns going off at them - under stand your ground. And we have the area HAM radio station chief my grandfather so we are ready to help. We sent civilian MRE's, water, a first aid kit and a rifle with ammo and safety lock to neighbors their grandmother can't be moved so well we have to help them to.

The plus side the storm is heading North and facing stronger wind shear so maybe we will be lucky enough to see it weaken more and move more East than we expected so with some luck we will be okay in my area.

We aren't to stubborn to leave we are in the outer edge of the mandatory evacuation zone in my county however we are prepared and safe here, we have a DUCK so we can move if it floods its a amphibious boat and heavy, some of us volunteered to help with rescue efforts I'll be at the HAM and CB Radios doing my bit I'm disabled not useless.  :-)

My wife is feeling bad sending me here instead of Indianapolis but I'm not alone and damn safe the men will protect a woman with child like a boss. We all need to work together now until FEMA and others can come in so told her she needs to focus on her job and trust the family to do theirs and we will get through this.

Go Coast Guard!

Mister Ugly

Good Luck Ruby,
I am in Orlando, We have a block house on the top side of a raise  in the land. We do not get flooding but the end of the street which slopes down from us, does as do roads around us. We too have a 410 ready as well as a couple of pistols. The main fear is the big oak just on the neighbors property. It as rotten areas and a few years back part of it came down on that house. We are hoping for a 'Charlie' like wind and rain...of course it will last longer.

Good luck to ya...

CB's ?? hmm have to see if we still have one...dig out my old handle as well, "Good, bad 'n Ugly"

MU
Albert Einstein

RubySlippers

Well it hit land as it was getting stronger with luck it will be a weaker Cat 2 or even Cat 1 ,but, we are in Saint Petersburg I expect the eye to maybe miss us or we will be in it for awhile. CB's are popular with many of our friends so we can relay chat with them in the county and well HAM radios are licensed and I'm qualified to operate it, it will keep us useful relaying with various government and private parties I know cell phones and the like are popular but what if the towers fail?

So we are eating a canned turkey and gravy dinner and homemade rolls and for dessert cherry cheesecake that's reduced sugar.

The Dark Raven

Good luck, y'all!  I am north of you and trying to manage a SO scared of it and a set of twins who have never been in this sort of storm in their lives.

I am part of a hospital team and trying to sell a house in all this so I am going nuts trying to keep my ducks in rows.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

RubySlippers

If it matters its weakening thanks to ample shearing force in play but any hurricane can be dangerous so stay I suggest keep the twins minds off it or plan after to go out to a nice place to eat after recovery is underway and help your neighbors until then even a young child can make a nice card and give it to some people repairing the cable box or a law officer or other people helping people. Like give a card to those at the local fire station or a police officer parked it matters.

SaturnCeleste

Hello E!  Well we made it!  My daughter cast one hell of a protection spell.  ;D  I can't believe the luck Fla had with that storm downgrading so damn fast.  We have some fence boards down but that is about it.  Power flashed on and off but remained on throughout the night and is still on now.  The tv and internet went fast because we have it bundled.  It is still out but I am on cell data on my  IPad.  I want to thank everyone who kept this state in your thoughts because it really helped.  I think I will go play the Sims for awhile!
To some, steampunk is a catchall term, a concept in search of a visual identity. To me, it’s essentially the intersection of technology and romance. – Jake von Slatt
Saturn Reads Tarot (Free) & E*rotic Readings,
Lickable Limericks, Saturn's Celestial Void, Saturn's Celestial Sojourn

Drake Valentine

From what I seen on weather sites, Jose has a potential to hit Florida; but presently too early to really tell if it may or may not. Considering not too long ago I remember reading up on it that it was suppose to veer off on path and possibly hit New York(?)

Any who, stay safe out there. Hopefully the worse is over. Right now where I am at(AL), we are getting rain from Irma.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Callie Del Noire

Things are okay here in Jax, I got to a friends house and till last night we had power. Got water and food laid aside as well. Mostly rain but high winds and last night had a tornado warning, conditions but none sighted

Anyone got an update on Jose?

Oreo

*slowly breathes out* It's good to start hearing some reports from those of you in the storm. The concern for all of you has been intense.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on September 11, 2017, 12:00:01 PM
Things are okay here in Jax, I got to a friends house and till last night we had power. Got water and food laid aside as well. Mostly rain but high winds and last night had a tornado warning, conditions but none sighted

Anyone got an update on Jose?

Jose is currently just doing the loop-de-loop in gulf, so there is no telling what direction it may go. I think Irma was one that knocked it around in its current course.

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

InnocentSynn

I live in Lehigh Acres and bunkered down for the storm. Happy to report that my family and I are all safe and sound and were fortunate enough that our respective homes all made it out with only minor damage.  Unfortunately power and water is out for a large portion of the area and is likely to remain so for quite some time.  Power lines were snapped in half in some places so it'll be weeks before they can repair the damage. A main water line was also cracked which will take time to repair and until then alot of people are without running water.  That said, the level of damage that we received is well below what they were predicting so I think that we're very fortunate. Hopefully Jose stays away from land and we can focus on rebuilding and repairing.

The Dark Raven

Quote from: Drake Valentine on September 11, 2017, 10:31:43 AM
From what I seen on weather sites, Jose has a potential to hit Florida; but presently too early to really tell if it may or may not. Considering not too long ago I remember reading up on it that it was suppose to veer off on path and possibly hit New York(?)

Any who, stay safe out there. Hopefully the worse is over. Right now where I am at(AL), we are getting rain from Irma.

Drake, hopefully you are west of I-65.  I am east and we're gonna get it after dark.  The eye is planning to pass about 15 miles from my house after everyone is supposed to be in bed.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Drake Valentine

Quote from: The Dark Raven on September 11, 2017, 07:06:33 PM
Drake, hopefully you are west of I-65.  I am east and we're gonna get it after dark.  The eye is planning to pass about 15 miles from my house after everyone is supposed to be in bed.

Nope, sadly east of I-65 as well, towards bottom corner actually.   Hope all is well on your end, I basically napped most of night away here.

Mister Ugly

just checking. We have no power. It went out Sunday night around 7pm. Temp is low 90s and very humid. I convinced my dad to get a hotel room for a couple of days since wordis power may not be restored until Saturday Late. I hope everyone came through good.

MU
Albert Einstein

Drake Valentine

Hurricane Maria's current projectory course looks like it is heading towards Carolina. It is also presently a category 5. Although it is still days out from US. 

There is also a possibility of Fujiwhara Dance between Jose and Maria; which is basically when two storms collide and rotate counterclockwise to one another. Which would swing Jose back to shore and Maria out to sea if it did happen; assuming Jose doesn't get absorbed into Maria.

For better info on Dance; http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/weather/stories/Hurricane-Jose-Maria-Fujiwara-Dance-Category-5-445555193.html