Could someone explain Taylor Swift to me?

Started by Beorning, August 28, 2017, 08:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

I have a question for anyone who's well-informed regarding current pop music.

For some reason, I've read a short news piece today regarding Taylor Swift's newest video. The article claimed that the video was a drastic departure from Swift's usual style. It also said it was surprising, as Swift mocked herself in that video.

I watched the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tmd-ClpJxA

And I got curious. Is this video really as surprising and unusual for Taylor Swift? Some time ago, I've watched another video of her, the one for her Bad Blood song - and it seems to me that it was similar in style. Meaning, it was sexy, stylized etc. So, what's so different about the new one?

Also, could someone explain to me the whole self-mocking thing - is this really a case? For example, do the various Swifts from the final scene really reflect Taylor Swift's past behaviour?

Can anyone help me out? I know nothing about Taylor Swift aside from the fact that she exists...

Black Howling

There is a video somewhere if I can find it that breaks down the music vid piece by piece. Basically, she's artistically calling out everyone who she feels personally fucked her over during the last ten years. The bathtub scene is an example I remember, see all the jewels and note the old joke about her being someone to bathe in perals. Blank space is also a jib at this stereotype and note the similarities in look. Also, amidst the jewels is a one dollar bill, referencing her lawsuit for a 1 dollar against that dude that grabbed her ass.

In basic, lotta shade; and she didn't hold back.

Shores

If you want to understand Taylor Swift's music, you have to understand her background. She's born wealthy and her father comes from generations of bank presidents. Her father also owns a stake to the record label Big Machine Records, to which Taylor Swift is signed to. This means that not only does her family have the money to make her dreams come true, but they also have the money to make even more money off what Taylor Swift does.

She is marketed supremely well. She entered the scene with Love Story, the pure country girl, then transformed into the pop princess with hits like 22, and now she wants to be a singing icon, hence her new more edgy song choices like Bad Blood and Look What You Made Me Do.

If you watch the music video carefully, you can see a lot of references to Lady Gaga, Michael Jackson, Britney Spears, David Bowie, and even Prince. Just from the cinematography and editing alone, you can tell a lot of money was spent on this music video to try and get more people to talk about it. The quick multiple cuts to different themes and scenes à la Gangnam Style is pretty clear. She's going for "popularity by edginess". She's trying to cement herself as a cultural icon like Madonna did, and using her family's money to do it, as well as earning them more money in the process, since there's merchandising, song royalties, and who knows what else the future might bring. (Multiple Taylor Swifts in a VR game, anyone?)

Taylor Swift is a long-term investment.

Beorning

Hm. So, she's wealthy? That kind of explains how she manages to have these very expensive videos... Bad Blood seemed expensive, too.

But what about the opinions that she mocks herself in this new video? From what I got from the last scene, she seems to say that she used to be fake and that she liked to play the victim... So she agrees with the criticism leveled against her? Or is she just mocking it?

BTW. Do you guys think she's talented? Or is it all artificial?

wander

I know her for this meme, which seemed to hold some truth, given most songs of hers before threw shade at exs...

"Taylor Swift just broke up with her boyfriend? Must be a new album out soon."

Blank Space has her even poking at that stereotype, though apparently it wasn't from her own POV but a characters, meaning she completely lacked the self-knowledge (or didn't want to admit) of that side of her career.

Beorning

Interesting...

Any other facts on her? I've heard she's got some feud going on with Katy Perry and Kanye West?

RedRose

Those socialites turned so-called actresses, singers, models... are always puzzling to me!
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

mia h

Quote from: Beorning on August 29, 2017, 03:49:09 PM
Interesting...

Any other facts on her? I've heard she's got some feud going on with Katy Perry and Kanye West?

The Kanye West thing started back when he rushed the stage at the VMA's when Taylor won 'something' and started a rant about how Beyoncé should have won it instead. Kayne sort of apologises and then slowly starts to retract the apology. They apparently make up and even write a song or two together. Then Kanye releases Famous which include lyrics about Taylor "I made that bitch famous!" Surprisingly Taylor gets annoyed and then there's a whole argument about Kayne getting or not getting approval for some of the lyrics in Famous along with a very dodgy video for the song.

The Katy Perry thing is a bit more straight forward. Taylor hired some dancers for her world tour that had previously worked for Katy. Part way through Taylor's tour Katy hired those dancers to come back and work for her. Taylor got pissed that Katy had "stolen" the dancers and ruined the tour. And they've just been throwing veiled (and not so veiled) insults at each other ever since.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Kore

@wander; I'm not sure it's completely fair to include her actual relationships when talking about her "career" since that just clumps us in with the tabloids :p