Grocery Shopping [Rant]

Started by greenandgold, July 17, 2017, 01:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenandgold

I swear to everything holy, that I wanted to punch this guy in Walmart yesterday. My mother and I had gone to lunch yesterday, and we took her car because mine is in the shop. After lunch, we headed to Walmart because we each needed to pick up some groceries for the next two weeks. Well, we walked in the door and went to the back of the store where the soda's are, and out of the blue this guy came up to me and started flirting with me. Or well, trying to flirt. He wasn't very good at it. My mother and I were loading bottles of soda into our shopping cart when the guy came up and started complimenting me.

I'm not used to that kind of attention, so I gave him a smile, didn't reply because I didn't want to give him the wrong idea, and motioned for my mother to turn and walk down the next aisle so that I could follow her. She did and I followed her, and so did the guy. He still tried to flirt with me, talked about how he wanted to fuck me, and tie
me up, and run a train on me, and some other inappropriate stuff. His brother or son or whoever the teenager was that was with him, was staring at us. So when my mom and I went down the next aisle and the guy followed us, he made up some garbage about wanting to know where the lemonde was. I turned around to reply and tell him where it was, because I didn't want to be a complete bitch, and then the kid that's with him, spoke up and said that they already had lemonade in their cart.

So, once his excuse was gone, I turned and walked away from him again, and my mother and I resumed shopping. We went down the next aisle, and the guy kept following us. Though he stayed two or three people away from us, I could see him staring at my chest which wasn't even exposed, as I had worn a regular t-shirt yesterday. Anyway, this guy followed us for two or three more aisles before I finally went and found a sales associate and asked them to do something about the guy who was bothering me. Guess what? They didn't do anything. I kept seeing that guy following us, but staying a few people back.

Finally, I told my mother that she needed to pick up the pace with her shopping as I wanted to get the hell out of there. That the guy was making me uncomfortable. We finally left, and I couldn't help but keep checking behind me as we walked to the car and then loaded the groceries. I swear, some people just don't understand the words BACK OFF!  >:(

Shores

I'm sorry this happened to you. :(

Quote from: greenandgold on July 17, 2017, 01:41:41 AMI turned around to reply and tell him where it was, because I didn't want to be a complete bitch, and then the kid that's with him, spoke up and said that they already had lemonade in their cart.

This is what happens when we're conditioned to be nice ladies from a young age. The guy was sexually harassing you and you're worried about coming off like a bitch. Tell him off firmly next time. "You're making me uncomfortable. Please stop bothering me." It sounds like this isn't his first time doing this, and he would have done it regardless of what you were wearing.

Unfortunately, most sales associates have no training in how to deal with these types of situations. It might be better next time to find a security guard.

Or if you're too shy, tell your mother much earlier, so she can get out much quicker. I know when I grocery shop with my mum the rest of the world basically gets tuned out except for the food. But if your mum knew about the situation much earlier, she would have left much quicker.

greenandgold

Thank you. I really wanted to tell him to fuck off, but I know that would've just attracted more unwanted attention.

If he would've just given me a compliment without getting creepy, ex, the other things he said, and then the following, I would've said thank you and then walked off and left it alone. But he didn't do that and I just don't like the idea of some random weirdo following me and my mother.

As to being conditioned, you're right. It's like we're supposed to act like it's okay for the men who do that. If there is a next time, I'll definitely tell him, 'you're making me uncomfortable. please go away.' If that doesn't work, then I'm going to in no uncertain terms, tell him to back off. I'd never seen the guy before in my life, and the whole thing was just gross.

Finding a security guard is good advice, thank you. I don't even know if they have one. I've never seen one. I only see associates keeping a close eye on merchandise to prevent theft.

It's not that I'm shy. I just wanted to avoid a huge scene and causing a big issue in the store. I wanted to finish my shopping and just go home, as I don't have the patience for a 2 hour shopping trip, on top of being bothered inappropriately.

My mother wondered why the guy kept following us, and asked if I knew him. I told her no and just kept hurrying her along. I'm sure you're right, that she'd have left sooner if she knew the guy was making me uncomfortable.

I just needed to rant. That guy was disgusting and made me want to take a shower. Ugh.

Inkidu

Quote from: Shores on July 18, 2017, 11:08:35 AM
Unfortunately, most sales associates have no training in how to deal with these types of situations. It might be better next time to find a security guard.
I work for Wal-Mart currently, and I'll tell you that you that we're not allowed to do anything about it. The most we can do is ask if we can help the offending customer find something or provide customer service. No, I'm not kidding. It'd only be a momentary distraction I imagine.

Try asking an associate to get a manager or head up to customer service and request a manager. Mangers can do stuff.

Ladies may be conditioned to be polite, but men are supposed to be conditioned not to do that kind of vulgar behavior. I'm sorry that happened to you.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

greenandgold

Thank you for the info. I wasn't sure if associates were actually allowed to do anything or not.

Also, thanks for your suggestion about asking an associate to get a manager. That's a good idea and I'll keep it in mind if it happens again.

Thank you for saying that. This was the first time something like this had ever happened to me, and I wasn't sure how to handle the situation.

lilhobbit37

If something like this ever happened to me, I'd personally want to run screaming and flailing my arms wildly "Pervert in Aisle 2! Pervert in Aisle 2!!!"

But that would have attracted a lot of attention.

O:)

But in all seriousness, I'm sorry this happened to you, and it does sound like you handled yourself well considering the circumstances. It is very unfortunate there are people like that out there.

greenandgold

I don't like having a lot of attention on me, so I couldn't do something like that. But I know what you mean.

Thanks for your comment. If it happens again, I'm definitely going to contact whatever manager I see near me. I used to work there a few years ago, and I know a few of the long time managers there. Hopefully it won't come to that, but we'll see.