News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The 13th Doctor has been revealed... [HUGE SPOILERS INSIDE!]

Started by Beorning, July 16, 2017, 01:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

So, BBC has finally revealed who will be taking over from Peter Capaldi as the Doctor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-_bSdWEYK8

So, what's your opinion? A bold new direction - or is it too much?

What do you guys think?

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

WindFish

If you want to have a good laugh and simultaneously lose your faith in humanity, the comments from places like The Sun, The Daily Fail, and The Telegraph will not disappoint.

The kind of comments I especially love are the ones who whine about political correctness, yet use their own version of it by demanding that the Doctor only be played by a white male.

She wasn't my first choice for a female Doctor, but I think she'll do a very good job.
Actively Searching For New One x Ones

Search Thread
O/Os
F-List

Oniya

*parks her walker over by the coat-rack and hangs up her scarf*

Y'all want a laugh?  Back in 1981 when Tom Baker (Doctor number four, for those of you who don't remember) was leaving the series after something like seven seasons, they did a press event where he announced his stepping down.  He closed his speech with 'Best of luck to the new Doctor, whoever he or she might be.'

Truly, I'm not surprised that it eventually happened.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Jag

Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Theta Sigma

Quote from: Oniya on July 16, 2017, 03:07:08 PM
*parks her walker over by the coat-rack and hangs up her scarf*

Y'all want a laugh?  Back in 1981 when Tom Baker (Doctor number four, for those of you who don't remember) was leaving the series after something like seven seasons, they did a press event where he announced his stepping down.  He closed his speech with 'Best of luck to the new Doctor, whoever he or she might be.'

Truly, I'm not surprised that it eventually happened.
I think JNT was the first showrunner to also suggest a female Doctor.

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

RubySlippers

Well it could be fun, she would need to play a former male a lot they are used to a male becoming a female and well play it out the "differences" and "learning to be a female" and the plus side her enemies will be put off since they are all used to a male Doctor so there could be some advantages if she doesn't reveal herself AS The Doctor.

My more of an issue is them breaking the laws of time and letting the Doctor have two more incarnations then he should have and ignore the earlier doctors pointing out the 10th Doctor was supposed to be EVIL all of his darkness released in one incarnation but nope just ignore that and the rules. So if they are going to ignore crap then is a female Doctor so bad?

Jag

CaptainNexus616

Meh, I'm more worried of who (no pun intended) will be the new Show runner. Have they announced that yet?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Jag

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on July 16, 2017, 07:15:13 PM
Meh, I'm more worried of who (no pun intended) will be the new Show runner. Have they announced that yet?

Chris Chibnall, according to what I've seen so far.

Inkidu

As someone who has enjoyed several individual Dr. Who episodes without ever really being able to consistently get into the series (The Impossible Planet, and the Satan Pit come to mind because I enjoy science-fiction a lot) I was hoping a fan could explain something.

It's mad fairly consistently clear that the Doctor was supposed to be able to regenerate 10 times, which assuming his first appearance was his original form, would mean they've got room for 11 Doctors. So how is they're shooting for 12 and then 13? :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Lilias

Quote from: Inkidu on July 17, 2017, 07:18:37 AM
As someone who has enjoyed several individual Dr. Who episodes without ever really being able to consistently get into the series (The Impossible Planet, and the Satan Pit come to mind because I enjoy science-fiction a lot) I was hoping a fan could explain something.

It's mad fairly consistently clear that the Doctor was supposed to be able to regenerate 10 times, which assuming his first appearance was his original form, would mean they've got room for 11 Doctors. So how is they're shooting for 12 and then 13? :\

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regeneration_(Doctor_Who)#Maximum_number_of_regenerations_in_a_cycle
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

FeveredDreams

Quote from: Inkidu on July 17, 2017, 08:07:43 AM
Oh so it's thirteen. Okay then, ten bucks says they don't stick to it though. ::)

They won't.  In one of the Christmas special the Doctor was gifted with a new regeneration cycle. 

Also,  I've been waiting for this forever.   I'm super excited,  I knew it was coming soon with Missy.  I thought they were using it to test the waters as it were.
Are you afraid of me now?

On's and Offs-  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=171318.0

Sain

Super excited. Watched some clips of Jodie's acting performance from the past and she really does have that Dr. Who vibe. I wasn't a huge fan of the old man doctor (unpopular opinion I know), but she might re-ignite my need to watch episodes as they come out :)
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Oniya

Quote from: Sain on July 17, 2017, 11:28:43 AM
Super excited. Watched some clips of Jodie's acting performance from the past and she really does have that Dr. Who vibe. I wasn't a huge fan of the old man doctor (unpopular opinion I know), but she might re-ignite my need to watch episodes as they come out :)

I kind of liked the more energetic Doctors.  I've got a small soft spot for Hartnell and Troughton, but the Tom Baker/Peter Davidson/Colin Baker years were my jam.  Pertwee was starting to shake off the 'old man' image, and from what I've seen, Tennant would have been another big favorite.  (I haven't had cable for a while, so I've reallllly fallen behind.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Ariel

In all honesty, I have never really watched the show. I have seen the first episode of Eccleston's reign, but it confused me a bit and I couldn't get into it. I am a bit of an idiot though :P I plan on starting it up again sometime soon. I think Jodie Whittaker is an amazing choice and when I saw the video yesterday, I genuinely screamed out loud. I am so happy for the young generation that will be watching this season and seeing the first ever female Doctor. It's so wonderful and I'm so happy for the DW fandom :-)
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

Geeklet

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on July 16, 2017, 07:15:13 PM

Quote from: Jagerin on July 16, 2017, 07:17:28 PM
Chris Chibnall, according to what I've seen so far.

Honestly, I'm just glad they got rid of Moffat, because he would have royally fucked over any female incarnation of the Doctor

SidheLady

I'll be honest, I am "cautiously optomistic".

As an idea it does have potential, and if it is written well (or better than Moffat's run) I think it could be good. However, where my worry comes if it gets sucked into the mire of identity politics (much like marvel has).

But, I am hoping for the best!
"Dream, not of what you are, but what you want to be" - Lotus (aka spacemom!), warframe

I have Discord, ask to contact me!

My Games including Sassy Space Vixens and the Gentry https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=253546.0

My general Ons and Offs (will be updated soonish whenever I remember and get around to it)
https://www.f-list.net/c/sidhelady/

wander

Quote from: FeveredDreams on July 17, 2017, 09:21:58 AM
They won't.  In one of the Christmas special the Doctor was gifted with a new regeneration cycle. 

This was because Matt Smith was his 13th regeneration.
The numbering didn't include John Hurt as the War Doctor (who was the 9th Doctor), so Eccleston was 10 and Tennant was 11. After Tennant's Doctor got shot in the back by a Dalek, he uses a regeneration to heal but he wanted to stay as he was and shunted the energy remaining into the hand he lost when he first became Tennant. So Tennant was 11 and 12. Matt Smith became the 13th and was going to die of old age, unable to regenerate again, until Clara (not a Mary Sue honest) Oswald gained that new cycle for him and became Capaldi.

Inkidu

Quote from: wander on July 17, 2017, 07:15:12 PM
This was because Matt Smith was his 13th regeneration.
The numbering didn't include John Hurt as the War Doctor (who was the 9th Doctor), so Eccleston was 10 and Tennant was 11. After Tennant's Doctor got shot in the back by a Dalek, he uses a regeneration to heal but he wanted to stay as he was and shunted the energy remaining into the hand he lost when he first became Tennant. So Tennant was 11 and 12. Matt Smith became the 13th and was going to die of old age, unable to regenerate again, until Clara (not a Mary Sue honest) Oswald gained that new cycle for him and became Capaldi.
I think I know why I take this show on a episode-by-episode basis. :\

CaptainNexus616

Hard to say how long this will last. Colin Baker who portrayed the Sixth Doctor had the shortest television run of one to two years. (Not counting the Eighth's tv movie and internet short or the War Doctor who was made for a specific storyline.)

if we are taking bets...I give her three seasons at the LEAST. That's if Doctor Who starts going back on a proper run and not taking year long breaks like 12th's run did TWICE because Moffat was busy also doing Sherlock. So hopefully with a new Showrunner that won't be an issue now.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Lilias

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on July 17, 2017, 10:04:26 PM
Hard to say how long this will last. Colin Baker who portrayed the Sixth Doctor had the shortest television run of one to two years. (Not counting the Eighth's tv movie and internet short or the War Doctor who was made for a specific storyline.)

Eccleston only did the one season.
~Wendell Berry

mia h

Quote from: Lilias on July 18, 2017, 02:16:30 AM
Eccleston only did the one season.
...and he announced his departure a week after his first episode aired but took the job on the understanding that he'd be a 'one and done' Doctor.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Oniya

Beorning

Hard to say how long this will last. Colin Baker who portrayed the Sixth Doctor had the shortest television run of one to two years.

Didn't he leave because he was difficult to work with, or something like that?

BTW. Colin Baker's Doctor is the one I really don't like...

Stella

if we are taking bets...I give her three seasons at the LEAST. That's if Doctor Who starts going back on a proper run and not taking year long breaks like 12th's run did TWICE because Moffat was busy also doing Sherlock. So hopefully with a new Showrunner that won't be an issue now.

The filming schedule is extremely demanding and actors are required to sign contracts limiting the scope of any work they can fit in around that schedule. One of the reasons actors don't stay long with DW is because of this - not to mention the concern of threat of typecasting impacting future work opportunities. Any actor would be bonkers to stay longer than three seasons in DW.

wander

Quote from: Stella on July 18, 2017, 05:05:52 AM
The filming schedule is extremely demanding and actors are required to sign contracts limiting the scope of any work they can fit in around that schedule. One of the reasons actors don't stay long with DW is because of this - not to mention the concern of threat of typecasting impacting future work opportunities. Any actor would be bonkers to stay longer than three seasons in DW.

Back when Dr. Who used to shoot around Cardiff (which is super close to me and the show for sure shot multiple eps where I live, my mate even met Billie Piper and another of mine caught Capaldi once, another of my friends is a director and met the Torchwood cast) it was said the show for those on the lower rungs was a total shit-show to work for. Workers were treated like shit and pay wasn't good, all that kind of stuff. I heard Eccleston did not have a fun time in his tenure and wanted out soon as. His issues with the show even led to the War Doctor being invented in the first place, John Hurt's part was rumoured to be for Eccleston.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: wander on July 18, 2017, 10:49:57 AM
Back when Dr. Who used to shoot around Cardiff (which is super close to me and the show for sure shot multiple eps where I live, my mate even met Billie Piper and another of mine caught Capaldi once, another of my friends is a director and met the Torchwood cast) it was said the show for those on the lower rungs was a total shit-show to work for. Workers were treated like shit and pay wasn't good, all that kind of stuff. I heard Eccleston did not have a fun time in his tenure and wanted out soon as. His issues with the show even led to the War Doctor being invented in the first place, John Hurt's part was rumoured to be for Eccleston.

Oh yeah Moffat had approached Eccletson originally. They met professionally and acted as such with no ill blood. When he made it clear he did not wish to appear for the 50th, they went ahead with the War Doctor.

SidheLady

There are two things which have been overlooked almost totally.

1. what about the companion? is the companion going to be a competent man? It really needs to be.

2. what about River Song, you know..the doctors wife?
"Dream, not of what you are, but what you want to be" - Lotus (aka spacemom!), warframe

My Games including Sassy Space Vixens and the Gentry https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=253546.0

My general Ons and Offs (will be updated soonish whenever I remember and get around to it)

Sain

Quote from: SidheLady on July 19, 2017, 01:10:17 PM
There are two things which have been overlooked almost totally.

1. what about the companion? is the companion going to be a competent man? It really needs to be.

2. what about Rover Song, you know..the doctors wife?

River spoiler
She is dead and they already had their first meeting too. Her story arch is kind of concluded. Unlikely that she'll play any big role for the next doctor's story.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Geeklet

SidheLady

Quote from: Geeklet on July 19, 2017, 01:28:45 PM

Now, thats a 13th doctor I could get behind

and sain....seriously? *puts head in hand and shakes head* that seems...remarkably stupid

wander

Very likely true though. Her arc is pretty much done and dusted now.

Plus new show-runner will mean new side-characters and new arcs coming in.

Stella

SidheLady

Oniya

Quote from: Stella on July 19, 2017, 08:19:28 PM
This pupper for new companion pls.

Definitely precedent!  My vote is - Affirmative!  ;)

Theta Sigma

Quote from: Oniya on July 21, 2017, 11:51:20 AM
Definitely precedent!  My vote is - Affirmative!  ;)
I shamefully admit when I was 8 or 9 I used to pretend to be a cat version of the 7th Doctor.

Thete was a normal child. >_>

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Oniya

Quote from: Theta Sigma on July 21, 2017, 12:12:11 PM
I shamefully admit when I was 8 or 9 I used to pretend to be a cat version of the 7th Doctor.

Thete was a normal child. >_>

(Has a notebook somewhere with No. 4 fanfic.)

CaptainNexus616

jinx013

I'm excited to see how the new Doctor does, not so much the "you'll-have-to-wait-until-christmas" part - but that's already been said and done. I'm finally all caught up on the recent episodes (finished series 10), and now to play the waiting game.

I can't not watch it, though. >>

Question:

Who is your favorite companion and why? Who was your least favorite?
Photographers are violent people. First they frame you, then they shoot you, then they hang you on the wall.

jinx013

OH! Something I came across a while ago - true fans of the Doctor will be upset that he/she isn't ginger, rather than the fact that the Doctor is now a woman.

Also-also; I LOVED Missy. She was amazeballs insane and batshit crazy. xD
Photographers are violent people. First they frame you, then they shoot you, then they hang you on the wall.

Luna333

I am excited for this new Doctor. I wonder what will happen.

CaptainNexus616

I give you the 13th Doctor's official look. I can't help but notice the Tardis also looks slightly different too. We may be getting a new outside look for the first time since the start of 11's run.

FeveredDreams

I don't...  like it.  Blah, maybe I'm just cranky but she kind of looks like a mom let their 4 year old pick out whatever she wanted from the closet in whatever combination.

Admittedly 9 has always been my go to fashion when it comes to Doctors.
Are you afraid of me now?

On's and Offs-  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=171318.0

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Oniya

Once you lived through Six, you stopped worrying about fashion sense.

CaptainNexus616