story help. fantasy place names

Started by wingedwolfy120, June 30, 2017, 06:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingedwolfy120

okay so i'm starting a story where there is symbiotic relationships between humans (aerials) and griffins. i'm trying to think of what to call the places in this fantasy world.
Princess bunny wolf!!!

Shores

I like Arrano, Sahin, and Lindlinn.

I believe there's already a popular character called Zog, Gradtica reminds me of Gattaca and graduation mixed together. Falkuneko - the neko reminds me of Japanese cat. The other names don't really register as memorable for me. I like the three I chose because they all have 'n' inside, so they're semi-cohesive.

Just my opinion. :D

Hawk

Making names can come around multiple ways. The best way is the play with your keyboard. Focus on a couple of letters you might particularly like and then decide how many syllables and go from there. Random key hits play wonders.

Another way you can go about it is with a change in language. Latin and Greek are particularly nice.
“The wild hawk stood with the down on his beak
And stared with his foot on the prey.”

O/O
Ideas

Blythe

sialo skapa; the M.C.'s village, sova; capital, dolina grifina; the valley

Was diggin' these the most after trying to say all the names outloud to see how they sounded to me. :)

Lux12

I have to go with option three. They sound as if they would be grouped together based on the common language of the native populace within a geographical area. It doesn't sound as if one haphazardly threw sounds together that they thought sounded cool. They sound as if they belong together where as the others sound a bit more as if they were chosen at random.

greenknight

What do the words mean translated into English (or your native language)? Place names relate to common words associated with them.

Who or what was the village named for? Bob's Town? The shady place by the stream?

The capital? The origin is likely more grand. Alexander's first conquest (in a region, of course, because there's an Alexandria [Kandahar] in Afghanistan.) Where the great river feeds the endless sea. The hill commanding the great tradeway.

What is the salient feature of the valley, the first thing the first people there noticed? Are the current residents the first people (humans forcing out elves or moving in on halflings, for example)?

And then what are the appropriate words in the language(s) of your world?
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

wingedwolfy120

thank you to everyone that posted. i really appreciated the help.
Princess bunny wolf!!!