The Three of Cups - Tarot Discussions

Started by Dys Astyr, May 25, 2017, 03:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dys Astyr

Quote from: SaturnCeleste on July 25, 2017, 03:26:40 PM
It seems once tarot cards go out of print, they rise in price.  One of the few things that get used yet appreciate in value!

Yup, it's unbelievable. XD Makes finding older decks very difficult, especially on a budget. I was hoping to pick up a used version of the Gothic Tarot of Vampires, a deck I wanted badly as a teen but was unable to get. It goes for more used than it costs to buy brand new! It's still in print, the only difference is that you have to order from Lo Scarabeo instead of getting it from the local book store. Crazy talk.

Quote from: SaturnCeleste on July 25, 2017, 03:23:35 PM
I'm just learning runes.  I'll look Perthro up!  I don't read face to face with others, I do it strictly online.  Well, I've read neighbors and family but I prefer email, PM or FB type readings.

Online readings are definitely easier, I've done a couple of those as well. Maybe it's just because I'm socially awkward anyway, but hey we can't all be professional readers! Worse still there was a professional reader around here (she retired) who read with a deck so old you couldn't make out of the cards anymore. They were all almost completely white from being so worn. But she could still read them! So cool.
Alive! Trying to catch up but there is a lot, please be patient! Thank you. <3

SaturnCeleste

To some, steampunk is a catchall term, a concept in search of a visual identity. To me, it’s essentially the intersection of technology and romance. – Jake von Slatt
Saturn Reads Tarot (Free) & E*rotic Readings,
Lickable Limericks, Saturn's Celestial Void, Saturn's Celestial Sojourn

SaturnCeleste

To some, steampunk is a catchall term, a concept in search of a visual identity. To me, it’s essentially the intersection of technology and romance. – Jake von Slatt

TheHangedOne

Interesting thread. I don't read the Tarot, but I like studying them; I like the symbolism of the cards. I've gotten a few readings over the years, but don't put too much stock in them, though I've seen some pretty interesting results happen.

As you all can see, my name on here is borrowed from one of the Major Arcana; The Hanged Man. I feel like this card best represents me, or at least my understanding of it (which can vary from deck to deck, but 'in general', I think it's 'my' card). I was discussing this with a Pagan friend of mine, and she disagreed with me, because she thought a different card made sense for me (King of Cups).

So she ended up doing a 12 card draw on me with a full deck. The card that ended up in the position that represented 'me'? The Hanged Man. She changed her mind, because apparently, her cards agreed with my assessment.

Anybody else have weird draws they want to share? Or feel like they have a particular card they feel represents them?
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Dys Astyr

I must admit I wondered why you picked your username, now I know.

For me "my card" is The Tower. Even though it's widely considered to be the most negative card in the tarot, often outshining The Devil in most people's opinion I have always gotten on really well with it. (It was even my avatar for a while.) When I first started playing with the tarot I could pull The Tower over and over. It's just stuck with me over the years. The Tower even inspired my username, as the card is often considered to represent impending disaster turning your life on it's head.

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Dys Astyr on August 08, 2017, 05:47:11 PM
I must admit I wondered why you picked your username, now I know.

For me "my card" is The Tower. Even though it's widely considered to be the most negative card in the tarot, often outshining The Devil in most people's opinion I have always gotten on really well with it. (It was even my avatar for a while.) When I first started playing with the tarot I could pull The Tower over and over. It's just stuck with me over the years. The Tower even inspired my username, as the card is often considered to represent impending disaster turning your life on it's head.

Mind if I ask you why you feel so strongly associated with it?

For me, with The Hanged Man, I've always seen it as a sort of 'stuck' card, in more ways than one. There's the obvious literal interpretation, of being caught in a snare, being bound and hung upside down (which doubles as a reference to bondage, which I am quite fond of); but also of being between two places, elements, etc. Being suspended in the air, and so borrowing from the element of air; yet being tied (often to a tree), being linked to the element of earth; stuck between two opposites, a part of both, belonging to neither (which I feel is pretty much the story of my life, never belonging anywhere, even though I can go between many places).

There's also the more commonly accepted view on the card about it being a symbol for hidden insights, or simply seeing things from a different angle, which I feel like I am always the odd man out, regardless of whatever group I'm in; not even because I want to be contrary, I just seem to naturally end up in that position.

On a tangentially related point, I'm frequently changing my avatar, as whimsy strikes; always a new version of the card.  Whatever has caught my fancy at the moment, until I get sick of looking at it.

And on a completely unrelated note, there is this that a friend gave me once, pretty much for funsies. According to it, I am the Knight of Blazing Spirits.  ;D
Check out my poet tree!

Dys Astyr

It was originally my intention to also use different images of the card as my avatar. (You can still see this in my O/O thread.) I am though, terribly easily distracted. XD

Originally I had no idea what the card meant, or indeed any of the cards I frequently saw. I did little more than shuffle the cards and pull one out. If I wasn't thinking about anything in particular I would pull The Tower. If I though about my various friends I would pull a different card, always the same one for the same friend. (One friend was always The Devil, one Death and funnily enough, one The Hanged Man.)

The first thing I learned about The Tower was that it was associated with Mars, which was very cool with me being the macho weirdo I was/am. I later learned more about the card and felt a closer connection to it. While the card is generally associated with havoc, upheaval and chaos, first key word is usually disaster. Dis-aster, the bad star. An omen signaling change, though whether for better or worse... Who knows! XD

If you take the Major Arcana as a sequence The Tower is the point at which the chains of The Devil are symbolically shattered, whether we want them to be or not. What's not to love about that?

Going back to The Hanged Man card, one of the most popular archetypes for it is Odin hanging from the World Tree to gain knowledge of the runes. Again, what's not to love?

TheHangedOne

That is a good point, too. There's also the fact that Odin is also known as Hangadrottr--The Hanged God (if my Norse isn't failing me)--and that he has a very fascinating story in general.

I can't seem to find a picture of it, but at one time, I did see a Star Trek deck with Spock as The Hanged Man.
Check out my poet tree!

Dys Astyr

Interesting choice for a Vulcan! (Well, half Vulcan. XD) I always associate him with the Queen of Swords as I've mentioned before. And I think of the Five of Swords as the Kobayashi Mari, so I guess for me Swords and Star Trek just go together.

I think I would maybe put Data as The Hanged Man in a Star Trek deck personally.

TheHangedOne

That makes sense. I can't recall if he showed up in the deck, and if he did, what he was; it was years ago.  He might have been The Fool? All the wisdom, and all the folly, and not always being able to tell the difference between the two.
Check out my poet tree!

Dys Astyr

Oh, that would also be a very good card for him!

I don't know if I could do an entire deck from one franchise though, even one as large as Star Trek. XD My associations for the cards are all over the place. Like such:

The Fool - Bill and Ted
The Emperor - The Emperor of Mankind (pre-heresy)
The Hierophant - Agent Scully
Strength - Major Armstrong
Justice - The Crow

Oniya

According to THM's link, I am the Empress of Quiet Waters.  This - is oddly fitting.

Spock would fit with the 'between two worlds' aspect of the card, though.  It's also usually noted that the figure on the card always seems to be quietly contemplating, rather than in any sort of distress - again, quite Spock-like.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

persephone325

Quote from: Oniya on August 09, 2017, 02:50:57 AM
According to THM's link, I am the Empress of Quiet Waters.  This - is oddly fitting.

Spock would fit with the 'between two worlds' aspect of the card, though.  It's also usually noted that the figure on the card always seems to be quietly contemplating, rather than in any sort of distress - again, quite Spock-like.

I'm the Queen of Magical Waters. ^^
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Dys Astyr

Quote from: Oniya on August 09, 2017, 02:50:57 AM

Its not a bad card for him, but to me The Hanged Man is not logical enough to be Spock. Its more about "gut" knowledge, intuition, etc.

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Dys Astyr on August 09, 2017, 08:40:31 AM
Its not a bad card for him, but to me The Hanged Man is not logical enough to be Spock. Its more about "gut" knowledge, intuition, etc.
I can appreciate that view. For me, the Hanged Man has simply been 'a different view', whether that is more logical or less, more formal or less, intuitive/instinctual or reasoned, etc; just that it's different from the "status quo" that the individual is surrounded by.
Check out my poet tree!

Dys Astyr

You make a good point. I guess in my mind the default setting for society is science/reason. Though, I guess that's a faulty assumption since as much as everyone pays lip service to the ideals few actually follow them.

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Dys Astyr on August 09, 2017, 09:19:37 AM
You make a good point. I guess in my mind the default setting for society is science/reason. Though, I guess that's a faulty assumption since as much as everyone pays lip service to the ideals few actually follow them.
I would say the default setting for society is knee-jerk emotional reaction-ism; at the same time, though, I think this is getting way off topic.

Anybody ever seen the H.R. Giger deck? As is fitting his style, semi-erotic imagery, lots of machine-flesh integration; and I can't always understand what he's getting at. Anybody care to give me their take on this NSFW card?
Check out my poet tree!

Dys Astyr

I love Giger's art but I do not even try to make sense of it. XD I've seen pictures of the deck before, and I think it was just put together from existing paintings so there may not be any particular meaning to some of the cards. XD

But, I would say this card is more in line with my take on The Hanged Man, showcasing only the "lower" portion of the being. Residing in the primal perspective.

Oniya

I think I'm going to try a little writing experiment.  A book (or more likely a couple of books) where each chapter is based on a different card, drawn randomly, without replacement.  So, once I draw a particular card, it won't show up again in the 78 chapters.  Just need to poke a few boxes and find which deck to use.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

persephone325

Quote from: Oniya on August 15, 2017, 01:02:45 AM
I think I'm going to try a little writing experiment.  A book (or more likely a couple of books) where each chapter is based on a different card, drawn randomly, without replacement.  So, once I draw a particular card, it won't show up again in the 78 chapters.  Just need to poke a few boxes and find which deck to use.

That sounds hella awesome!
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

TheHangedOne

Will each chapter be inter-connected (and so maybe form it's own Fool's Journey sort of thing)? Or would it be more like short stories?
Check out my poet tree!

Oniya

This will be a single story, with each card indicating a major theme of that chapter.  Not quite the 'journey' seen in tracking the Major Arcana, since I'd be using the whole deck out of sequence.  The cards will decide the path, to some extent.

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Oniya on August 15, 2017, 01:46:12 AM
This will be a single story, with each card indicating a major theme of that chapter.  Not quite the 'journey' seen in tracking the Major Arcana, since I'd be using the whole deck out of sequence.  The cards will decide the path, to some extent.
That sounds really neat. I hope you'll keep us up to date on your writing.  ;D
Check out my poet tree!

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: TheHangedMan on August 09, 2017, 11:18:54 AM

Anybody ever seen the H.R. Giger deck? As is fitting his style, semi-erotic imagery, lots of machine-flesh integration; and I can't always understand what he's getting at. Anybody care to give me their take on this NSFW card?

I have the deck.  It was one of the first decks I bought.  In all honesty, I can't read with it.  Dys Astyr is right, they just took art and tried to affix it to a card, it doesn't really match up at all.  I'll look at the official book definition and see if it goes into any detail.

There was a tarot haiku going on at Aeclectic when they closed down.  You randomly pull 3 cards.  They can be all from the same deck or different decks.  Then write a line of haiku for each card. 
This is the original thread with the original directions.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=197285
This is my post
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=5027705&postcount=192

I've been thinking about starting a thread for the Tarot Haiku.  Anyone interested? and where would be the best part of E to start it?

SaturnCeleste

Quote from: Oniya on August 15, 2017, 01:46:12 AM
I will gladly follow your story, Oniya!  ;D