YouTube Recommendations

Started by TotesRider, October 12, 2016, 11:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TotesRider

Post up any and all youtube channels you recommend here ^_^.

While I like the popular stuff like Markiplier, Game Grumps and such, here's some channels I personally like that many people may have not heard of yet.

The Super Best Friends: An LP channel with 4 players Matt, Pat, Woolie and Liam. I got into these guys mostly because it's the very rare LP channel that plays and likes games that I'm into. Stuff like Platinum Games, JoJo, anime, wrestling, and the like. Plus they have a pretty bitchin podcast every week. They have a pretty fun community as well such as animators (which they often bring in to do video intros) fan artists and compilation videos. Often times they have themed months or weeks like Boxing Week, Rustlemania (all wrestling games), Shitstorm of Scariness and Mechaweek. Also if you're a fan of fighting games, every friday they have either a Friday Night Fisticuffs (where they play awesome fighters) or Saturday Morning Scrublords (in which they play the bad ones).

Maximilian Dood: Speaking of fighting games. This channel's a fighting game centric one. Max's channel is the thing that got me into actually PLAYING fighting games legitimately (as in actually learning and not just mashing buttons). Most of his videos generally come from his streams on twitch that he chops up into Week Ofs. However he also often does small skits as well as news updates. But more importantly are the Assist Me videos which are part skits and part fighting game tutorials. Because of his place in the FGC, he's been hired by Iron Galaxy to help with video editing and story writing for Killer Instinct and often commentates on Killer Instinct tournaments during EVO or World Cup. He also has another channel called Yo-Video games.

Mother's Basement: The Professional Shitbag. This dude does some pretty interesting analysis videos on Anime OPs and EDs generally pointing out moments of foreshadowing and small little details as well as analyzing animation. If I had to recommend a specific video, any of his Sword Art Online videos are hysterical... watch them and you'll hear the exact moment a man's soul dies.

kaptainkristian: A newer channel that's been getting some good traction. This dude does Video Essays on topics ranging from Adult Swim, the meaning of color and costumes in X-men, the true meaning of FLCL and so on. However what's more impressive is the amount of visuals, music and editing used in his videos. I can't wait to see this channel explode because god dammit he deserves it!

zzy123

Came upon CGP Grey today, as someone had posted his "The Rules for Rulers" video. Really interesting watch that explains power structures around governments. His other videos are pretty informative as well!

Sheoldred

Elliot Hulse has to be my favourite. I'm usually very skeptical of any 'guru' on YT but Elliot seems to be this golden middle of western and eastern thought. Or maybe he just reminds me of someone I used to look up to when I was a teen. Oh yeah, it may look like a channel dedicated to bodybuilding at first, since that's how he started out afaik but he actually gives advice that could apply to almost anyone in many of his videos.

Stella

The Katering Show - short, 10 minute episodes over two seasons, about "a food intolerant and an intolerable foodie." I laughed, I cried, I learned about pop-up Ramen bars and placenta lasagne.

Skynet

Here are some of my recommendations/favorites:

Cooking:

VahChef: Specializes in Indian cuisine.

Critique:

Cinema Sins: Part humor, part in-depth analysis of flaws in movies with a handy-dandy counter.

Digibro: Anime critic well-educated in the genre.

ProJared: Video game reviewer.

Let's Plays:

Chip Cheezum: very humorous and informative player of games both obscure and well-known. Currently doing Uncharted 4.

Video Games:

Gopher's Vids: Has a great series regarding unofficial mods for popular games such as Skyrim and Fallout 4.

The Game Theorists: Interesting ideas and theories in video game and gamer culture.

Jim Sterling: Game reviewer, reporter, Let's Player, Steam Greenlight cop, does a little bit of everything.

Video Game Dunkey: Humor-based channel.

Sain

SciShow - Little interesting science snippets brought down to layman level.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

TotesRider

A new channel i've been getting into... that's been around for ages apparently. Red Letter Media. Though mostly I tend to like their Best of the Worst series in which they select 3 horrible movies, watch them and then decide which is the 'Best of the Worst'.

I will never forget Rich Evans losing his shit while trying to explain Double Down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KolenE1GCyg

Avis habilis

Matt Easton's Schola Gladiatoria channel. A HEMA instructor talks about weapons from the 14th through early 20th centuries, military history, does reviews of movie fights, & talks to other weapon history enthusiasts (such as a history prof who's also a competitive jouster!).

HannibalBarca

Ten Second Songs--Not songs that are ten seconds long.  Anthony Vincent does full-length songs but breaks then into ten second chunks, and each chunk as if that part was done by a different musician than the one who popularized it.  His singing ability is ridiculous.

Epic Rap Battles of History--Historical or fictional characters engaged in rap battles suggested by viewers.  Some of them have guest stars, like Key and Peele.

Vsauce--Michael will take you on a scientific slash philosophical trip in each video, and by the end you'll wonder how it all tied together so well.

Make It Dirty--Does mostly trailers and vids of Star Wars material with specific themes and background music.  Check out Anakin Forgets and Darth Vader Remembers specifically together, among his best, if you don't mind shedding a tear.

331Erock--A French guitarist who does insanely awesome heavy metal solo versions of other songs, among them Frozen's Let It Go and the Harry Potter Theme Song.  And his smile is contagious.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Rhedyn

One of my favourite channels is angelarts. He does lets plays of some popular and not so popular games and 'gay let's plays' where homosexual character relationships can be developed but my absolute favourite thing to watch of his are his tabletop roleplaying campaigns that he runs via google hangouts and posts to youtube. I highly recommend them if you like immersive storytelling and watching roleplaying campaigns. He runs games in the Dragon Age and Mass Effect universes <3

Ardenson

Here are some of my favorite YT channels.

Musiclly.ly
wild life
discovery
animal planet

Lustful Bride

Rachel & Jun: These two are just beyond adorable. ^_^ An interracial couple who make youtube videos in japan, sometimes explaining cultural topics, or just showing off the beauty of the landscape in Japan, they are just the cutest thing I have ever seen and I like to go to them to get a smile.

Lorerunner/Archengia: He does everything from Lets Plays of Games to analyses of Movies and sometimes books, which are very fun as he will expound upon the Lore presented in the story and setting as well as discussing the significance of it. But my favorite thing he does are his Ruminations where he will sit down for an hour (sometimes more than one hour) and discuss the a movie or such and delve deeply into the lore to explain it all, sometimes talking about theories and countless other topics. I very much enjoy putting him on when I want to go out for a walk and want to be stimulated intellectually.

He even has a Stream channel.

Lorerunner Stream Channel: I love when he plays some of the more rare or obscure games and gives them the love that they truly deserve.

History Buffs: A youtube channel run by Nick Hodges who researches the history behind the events depicted in historical movies, points out the innacuracies and is generally very entertaining for those that want to know more about history/the history shown in some movies.

Lustful Bride

Night Mind: He analyzes many interesting ARGs and other similar Alternate Reality topics on the internet to properly explain them and let people know when the games are active. He also assumes the persona of an Eldritch Chesire Cat like creature on his youtube and Tumblr and such, to help add to the creepy vibe when he looks at strange things. I enjoy putting him on when I need some nice background noise when working on posts and his analysis of various topics is always fascinating. I recommend his videos on the SCP, on Don't Hug Me I'm Scared, and his examination on EverymanHybrid.

Jordan Underneath: Another youtuber who examines the weird creepy and macabre, while also making his own creepy videos. I recommend starting out with watching his "the Catlady" review, or his Silent Hill Reviews. He also has a separate channel for music that he makes.

GaLmHD: A Lets Player who is actually pretty funny and makes a special title for each game he plays. I feel like he deserves many more subs.

Trey The Explainer: Youtuber that examines scientific topics such as paleontology and disproves Cryptids using science and deductive reasoning, digging into their lore and looking deeper than most people to discover the validity of statements made about the various cryptids.

XPGgamers: A fun LP channel that also examines mods and plays games with mods included. Out of all the videos they have done, I honestly recommend their Stellaris series the most as it has so much effort put into it, with a 5 minute 'News' section put in at the start of every video adding more story and lore to the world they create in the game.

Lustful Bride

PythonselkanHD: A youtuber who does Text videos with an astounding amount of editing and attention to detail. They tend to focus mostly on analyzing Metal Gear and other Kokjima related materials. They put out some very fascinating theories and evidence that seems very compelling. I recommend them for anyone who wants to jump down a rabbit hole and see how crazy and fun Kojima's conspiracies tend to be.

RagnarRoxShow: Another Videogame analyzer who likes to delve into more obscure games and take a deeper look at horror related material.

Lustful Bride

Down the Rabbit Hole/Fredrick Knudsen: Youtuber who delves into strange and surreal internet phenomena, or sometimes just mundane things that need explanation, in order to explain them and provide some real context to the situation with as little bias as possible.

Scot Manley: An actual scientist/Astronomer who on occasion explains videogames and analyzes the science presented in them. I enjoy listening to his Science only videos on occasion but what honestly won me over were when he played videogames. Especially his playthrough of Xenonauts. Once he understood how the game worked the later episodes were a blast to watch! ^_^

Yong Yea: Examines videogame news, controversies, and does in-depth reviews of games. Honestly he's just a lot of fun to watch :)

Spacedock: Channel that looks at Science Fiction ships, famous scifi battles and other such topics through a technical, mechanical and even Strategic and Tactical eye. He looked at the battles of the Battlestar Galactica and closely looked into the specs of many famous Scifi ships. He is a credit to nerds everywhere :P

Skynet

Quote from: Lustful Bride on June 09, 2017, 08:53:46 AM

Yong Yea: Examines videogame news, controversies, and does in-depth reviews of games. Honestly he's just a lot of fun to watch :)

I discovered this guy during the heyday of Mass Effect Andromeda. He was one of the few YouTubers I felt gave the game a fair shake and didn't preemptively join in the hate pit. Not to say he didn't rip the game a new one for its many failings, but it was more the way he handled it.

Oniya

For something completely different:

Smalin - does visualizations of classical music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQYBA_8fThc&t=0s
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sain

The School of Life is a very nice youtube channel with well thought of short philosophical videos designed to help with common social and societal struggles of everyday modern life. What I really like about the channel is that they very rarely miss the mark, and maintain a very impeccable political neutrality even on some very controversial topics.

TriforceGoddess

Some random ones I watch are ThreadBanger and How to Cook That

I used to watch Good Mythical Morning but sort of got bored of it.

Driskoll

Hot Pepper Gaming - If you're into video game reviews and slightly sadistic, this (sadly now defunct) channel is for you. Each episode features a different or returning internet personality reviewing a current or favorite video game. The catch is that they must eat a hot pepper before hand, and give a rating for both the game and the pepper before they're given milk. I can't begin to describe how hilarious some of the reviews become, so I'll just leave one of my favorite videos below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMOZTLoZNG8

Sain

I really like the videos by Isaac Arthur. Great futurism breakdowns for scifi writing inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thdC-HlRHWg

Dys Astyr

You Suck At Cooking - Most hilarious internet cooking show ever. I wish he did videos more often. Some skits are continued from episode to episode so make sure you start at the beginning.

Georg Rockall-Schmidt - The most objective man on YouTube/the interwebs. Mostly videos about films and related topics, but also random things too. He is hilarious and I love his videos. Especially love the videos he does about how different film series have changed over time.

Cayleigh Elise - Queen of true crime and spoops. Her true crime videos are treated with the gravitas and empathy they deserve while the videos about spoops are hilarious.
Alive! Trying to catch up but there is a lot, please be patient! Thank you. <3

Cookie

Some really nice recommendations from people here thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/user/commentiquette Internet Comment etiquette with Eric- very funny.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JoergSprave  The slingshot channel - he makes crazy slingshots, funny guy.

https://www.youtube.com/user/arduinoversusevil  AvE  - an engineer who strips down products, shows their components and potential problems, in detail. Funny guy very knowledgeable.

https://www.youtube.com/user/everyframeapainting - every frame a painting - film analysis, very nicely done.

https://www.youtube.com/user/XboxAhoy Ahoy - animator who makes nice little documentaries about games.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3tCNZAURUKbrp2dQkZQy2w/videos Delve/Adam Westbrook - the best video essays I think I've seen, I prefer his stuff to Nerdwriter (who is also well worth checking out of course). He doesn't make many though.

O/Os
Availability: Back, active and looking for something.

Oniya

Apparently I've missed recommending these:

3Blue1Brown - short math animations, explaining complicated concepts in a very comprehensible manner.

Stanford Institute of Theoretical Physics - Yeah, it's as complicated as it sounds, but really interesting stuff.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17