News:

Main Menu

The new Star Wars

Started by Beorning, October 24, 2015, 03:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorne

Quote from: SapphireStar on December 20, 2015, 08:58:24 PM
In the books, the ones by Timothy Zahn, Heir to the Empire, Dark Force rising and last command, there was a clone by the name of J'houurs C'boath (sp?). The original had been a Jedi master who was part of Outbound Flight which went down. In the Zahn books, C'boath managed to get a hold of Luke's hand and lightsaber, there by creating a clone of Luke. Not the first time clones were used. Emperor Palpatine resurrected in a clone body in Dark Empire. And, they said they might use story elements from the expanded universe. It would be interesting if Emperor Palpatine resurrected in a clone body and took on Snoke to reclaim his Empire?

Joruus C'baoth. In the books, they added a vowel, to denote which was the clone, and which was the original.
That's an interesting theory, certainly. I'm not sure if I like it, to be honest, but it's interesting.

Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

mia h

Well there have been rumors going around that Benicio Del Torro is playing Grand Admiral Thrawn only 18 months to wait and see it that's true.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

AmberStarfire

I just saw this and I really enjoyed it. Such a long movie but it just kept on being great.

I haven't read much of the books set in the expanded universe but I couldn't help noticing similarities and differences based on things I'd mostly heard.

Gadifriald

Quote from: SapphireStar on December 20, 2015, 08:58:24 PM
And, they said they might use story elements from the expanded universe.
Having seen the movie (Really enjoyed it and like it!) and also being a huge fan of the expanded universe, I can clearly say that "The Force Awakens" used story elements/ideas from the original expanded universe!

Spoilers: Only Read If You've Seen the Movie
The character of Ben Solo in name, character and personal story idea is a clear combination of Ben Skywalker and Jacen Solo from the post Return of the Jedi EU. Really, he is just Jacen Solo with the first name Ben and like Jacen turned to the Dark Side and followed in the footsteps of Vader/Anakin Skywalker. The whole character idea was obviously inspired by the EU!

The character of Rey seems very much inspired by Jaina Solo to me. Not as nearly a direct usage/copy like Ben Solo is of Jacen Solo, however, I'm pretty sure the idea for her was inspired by Jaina!

Also, the First Order arising from the fragments of the Empire very much resembles many of the post fall of the Empire Imperial resurgences from the EU. It especially resembles the Dark Empire and sequel arcs from the Dark Horse comics with a resurgent Empire on the rise behind a powerful force user (Though not the Clone Emperor!) with a hyperspace capable planet smashing super weapon that has the New Republic/Resistance on the run. So, I'm thinking they were gleaning ideas there as well

Those are the character and plot ideas that seem the most heavily borrowed from/inspired by the original EU to me! Thoughts?
I am a mighty ravisher of captive damsels and princesses!

Sergeant

I saw the sixth movie with a friend of mine yesterday and went to see the seventh today. It was great to see a lot of the side characters (aliens) reappear and get included in the story.

Tho they have really abused the 'powerful weapon, get rid of force field then attack / offspring either chose dark side or light side' story line. Hopefully they'll come up with something new for the next two movies.

I must say the jokes are far better executed. When I saw the sixth movie every joke was cringeworthy. But in the seventh it's easier to appreciate Han Solo x Chewie's humour. All in all great movie and worth seeing if you like sci fi.

Deamonbane

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Rey: This is the ship that made the Kessel Run in fourteen parsecs?
Han Solo: TWELVE!

Best part of the movie, imho...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Kiric Rand

Quote from: Deamonbane on December 21, 2015, 03:48:38 PM

That was pretty damn funny.

Also
Finn:Because it's the right thing to do.
Po: You need a pilot.
Finn: I need a pilot.
[Floatright]
[/float]
Guardian of Lynnie's heart
-My inbox is sort.of like 7-11. It's not always doing business, but it's always open.-
Flying High or Falling Fast (O/Os)My Ideas! A/A updated 2/11/15

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Kiric Rand on December 21, 2015, 03:51:54 PM
That was pretty damn funny.

Also
Finn:Because it's the right thing to do.
Po: You need a pilot.
Finn: I need a pilot.

Mine was

Finn: We use the Force!
Han: That's not how the Force works!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Kiric Rand

I would say the it was a close tie between Ford and the actor that played Ren on who really stole that movie
[Floatright]
[/float]
Guardian of Lynnie's heart
-My inbox is sort.of like 7-11. It's not always doing business, but it's always open.-
Flying High or Falling Fast (O/Os)My Ideas! A/A updated 2/11/15

CaptainNexus616

I really loved Ford's performance in that movie. He didn't end up being a Obi-Wan like mentor (A role I have no doubt is saved for Luke). Han has seen and dealt with so much crap but he still has that dry sense of humor.

I was somewhat expecting Han to be killed in the movie as Ford originally wanted his character to perish in Return of the Jedi. It made sense he would come back if they would lay his character to rest. You see Han going onto that bridge to confront his son. You can tell its about to happen. BUT WHEN IT HAPPENED IT WAS STILL HEART WRENCHING!! :'(
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

HannibalBarca

The Captain Phasma/Han/Finn dialogue about putting her in a trash compactor was the best humor to me :P
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Ananym

It blew me away when I learned that Captain Phasma was the actress that plays Brienne of Tarth from Game of Thrones. I'm hoping that they do a lot more with her character in a future Star Wars episodes. She's a good actress and really steals a scene.

Aiden

I agree, I am hoping this leads up to CP to being a thorn in their sides for the next trilogy.
Yes I know she might have perished, but I hope she didn't

Caela

Quote from: Deamonbane on December 21, 2015, 03:48:38 PM

+1 that was great!

Caela

Quote from: Aiden on December 21, 2015, 09:08:38 PM
I agree, I am hoping this leads up to CP to being a thorn in their sides for the next trilogy.
Yes I know she might have perished, but I hope she didn't

Unless you see a dead body, don't count them out!

Remiel

Quote from: consortium11 on December 19, 2015, 06:42:11 AM
I'm... well... I'm not as positive as a lot of other people seem to be about it.

Spoilers Ahoy... and lots of them
Seriously, lots of spoilers about lots of things; read with caution if you haven't seen the film
One last chance to not read
Have you ever watched a tribute band play?

They play the same songs as the original. They play them the say way as the original. They sound pretty similar to the original. They look pretty similar to the original. They move in a similar way to the original. But for all the talent they may possess, for all their ability to be a near perfect replica of the original, they are not the original and it is that lack of originality and lack of soul that means that a tribute band will never be as good as the real thing.

Welcome to Star Wars: The Force Awakens… the most high budget tribute act of all time.

Alternative title; Star Wars: The Star Wars Movie.

There's barely a major plot point developed or major scene presented over the 136 minutes of the Force Awakens that isn't lifted pretty much wholesale from the original trilogy. To begin with one could argue it's fan service. As it goes on you could claim it's an ironic wink to those who grew up with the original trilogy and want to relive that experience. But in the end it just becomes banal, predictable and seemingly a sign of little courage or imagination on the part of the writers and director.

Small droid that's sort of “cute” escapes with secret documents when its owner is captured? Check.
Promising Jedi fallen to the Dark Side who wears black, has a mask, speaks with a distorted voice and is a close relation to one of the major characters? Check
Giant starbase that can blow up planets? Check
Said giant starbase being taken out by a combination of star fighter attack and an infiltration? Check
Said starfighter attack involves flying down “trenches” lined with turrets while being pursued by enemy fighters? Check
A quest by a young force user to discover a famous Jedi master who has gone missing and can seemingly help them develop their understanding? Check
Major good guy character facing off with a bad guy he has a close history with and eventually sacrificing himself without much of a fight? Check
The bad guys basically being the Empire (including a mysterious master-type character) and the good guys basically being the Rebels? Check
Han Solo as a smuggler who owes dangerous people money? [Check

Some of this is deliberately played up and noted upon within the film itself; Kylo Ren is presented as being obsessed with Darth Vader which makes his obvious similarities to him somewhat understandable. Likewise there is something to be said for watching how the young characters from the original trilogy have basically become the older characters from the original trilogy with Han Solo playing a (slightly more grumpy) Obi Wan Kenobi and Luke taking on the role of Yoda. But the fact there are so many, that they are so similar and that they are so frequent meant that I struggled to meet each one with anything more than a groan. It was a very high budget tribute act… different people playing the same songs in slightly different ways while wearing similar clothes… but for me it lacked soul. It was that tribute band playing the greatest hits because they knew they'd get an "Oohh" and an "Aahh" because they were so good years ago.

Even if one gets beyond the wholescale lifting from previous movies there were things that didn't really work for me either. Despite the long running time the film covers so much ground (both literally and metaphorically) that things frequently lose their punch. The revelation that Kylo Ren was Han Solo's son came and went without much impact because there'd been little build up to it. Han and Leia having broken up? Pretty much the same. The Starkiller base destroying multiple planets (including the current seat of Senate and thus the leaders of the Republic)? It just sort of happened. Poe being alive? Barely raised an eyebrow. Part of that's the pacing; the first half (or more) of the film is relatively sedate which means there's a lot to fit in to the final third; it doesn't so much build to a crescendo as just throw the drum kit off a cliff. But even with the slower pacing some things just never seemed to develop for me. I like the idea that Finn and Rey seemingly are going for a friendship/brother and sister type relationship rather than a romantic one but their sudden closeness was a bit jarring; Finn has the one brief monologue about how Rey was the only person who looked at him a certain way and you can extrapolate how Rey, scarred by abandonment, would feel so deeply about someone coming back for her but the entire thing felt like a somewhat forced bromance. Likewise with Poe and Finn. Hell, throw in Solo and Rey as well; they seemed to have spent about five minutes together, exchanged a few lines and had a few moments where they both understood starships before she's thinking that he's the father she always wanted.

The setting itself threw up some issues that I never quite got over as I watched. The film is set 30 years after the Rebel Alliance won and overthrew the Empire. Yet the way the film goes it could just have easily been set during the height of Imperial Power. The New Order have vastly more men, ships and technology; the first half of the film features the protagonists being on the run and the second half pitches the overmatched rebels against seemingly overwhelming forces; the Resistance (and I'll mention them more later) have the same (or arguably a worse) feel as the rag tag alliance early in the original trilogy. The Republic itself is barely mentioned and the only talk of their direct military forces are a few references to the Republic fleet not being there. Exactly what the Republic Fleet found more important than a considerable military force with dark side users and a super weapon that just destroyed a whole bunch of planets in one go (including the current Senate) is never said. It's that lack of saying that got to me; we know basically nothing more about how the galaxy works 30 years after the Empire fell than we did at the Ewok party. Why has the Republic let the New Order grow as powerful as they have? What is their fleet doing? Why were the Resistance and Leia (surely an important figure) left to take them on at least one star destroyer, countless tie-fighters, a fallen Jedi (who was Luke's apprentice) and a planet sized superweapon with little more than some X-Wings? All it would have taken is a line of dialogue here or there to give at least some explanation. Maybe it's explained in the supporting media that are out there… but one shouldn't have to follow all that media to get some pretty basic questions answered.

(As for the "Resistance"... why are the soldiers from the victorious side called that? The Resistance represent the Republic, the dominant force in the galaxy… if anything shouldn't they be called the New Order and the New Order the Resistance? What exactly is it they're resisting? Why don't they have more support? Why does everything about them seem pretty run down? Why don't they have some capital ship support?)

I imagine other things like Rey suddenly becoming an expert in how to use the Force will be explained in the coming films but that doesn't necessarily mean they should be whitewashed away for now. Luke Skywalker, the Chosen One, required extensive training from both Obi Wan and Yoda to start using the Force effectively. Rey has Kylo Ren delve into her mind for a few moments and suddenly she's using Jedi mind tricks and outpowering Ren in a Force telekenesis contest. Likewise Maz having Luke's lightsabre… why did he give it up, where did she get it and how come no-one else came chasing after it, instead leaving it in the back room of some backwater bar? Or the fall of Kylo Ren; we're given little clue as to why he turned to the dark side and the best we can put together is that he wants to be like Vader… hardly a convincing reason. The strongest stories involving someone falling to the Dark Side are them going too far in pursuit of a generally positive aim; it may not have been well executed in the prequels but Anakin falling because he wanted to save the one he loved is the classic while the Expanded Universe-based fan theory that Palpatine fell because he realised the Republic as it was wasn't strong enough to resist the Yuuzhan Vong (which would also explain the Empire's penchant for super weapons) is a good one. Ren? Right now it appears to be that he fell “just because”. With Luke getting more (well, any…) screen time in the next film we should get more (and I think it could be a powerful story and good example of how obsession, even for good reasons, goes to the Dark Side if Luke was so worried about Ben Solo becoming a new Vader that he ended up turning him into him) but again, that doesn't mean this film should get a free pass for leaving a major element largely untouched.

Other things are personal. Kylo Ren was pretty damn effective while masked and his occasional displays of petulance struck me of being a good example of how the dark side amplifies rage. But once the mask came off I found it hard to care about him; I know for story reasons he can't be too old but he just didn't seem threatening at all. When the good guys return to their base at the end why is Leia's first reaction to hug Rey in the wake of Han's seeming death; she barely knew Rey, Rey barely knew Solo and Chewbacca… Han's best friend, the one seemingly in most need of comfort and someone Leia actually has a long relationship with… is left to stand alone. What happened to the Star Destroyer during the attack on Starkiller Base?

Here's where the courage point I mentioned earlier comes in…

Right now Disney buying Star Wars looks like a licence to print money but let's be clear… it was a risk. The Star Wars liscence will always be profitable just because they can sell so much but Disney didn't pay four billion dollars so they could sell some game licences, do a couple of cartoons and include Star Wars characters in their lineup of plushie toys. This was what they did it for… a big movie which in turn drives all the other merchandising opportunities forward. But the prequels lost a lot of good will which the community had (and even if you liked them popular memory has turned to the point where they are seen as being dreadful) and people were less likely to be forgiving. If this movie did badly (both critically and commercially) it could have been really, really bad for Disney.

If you asked the typical fan what they wanted from this new trilogy they'd have probably said for it to be less like the prequels and more like the original trilogy. So that's what we got. The Republic as a dominant military force rather than a group of rebels? That's too much like the prequels and not enough like the original trilogy. Political scenes setting out how the Republic works? Too much like the prequels, not enough like the original trilogy. Watching the fall of a Jedi rather than have it having already happened and an established master/apprentice Sith relationship? Too much like the prequels, not enough like the original trilogy.

That point also applied to the director as well. J. J. Abrams' re-imagining of Star Trek was a commercial success and, as a non-Trekie, I quite liked them as somewhat generic sci-fi action movies. But from what I understand a lot of Star Trek fans largely disliked them because to them they didn't feel like Star Trek movies. And I imagine that hurt J. J. Abrams. So what he did here was make the most Star Wars type movie he could by simply reusing every element of the original trilogy he could get his hands on. For me that shows a lack of courage. He didn't have the bravery to attempt to make something with the same soul as the original trilogy, he took the trappings that surrounded it.

It's appropriate in some ways; the term “Disneyfication” is a criticism generally used when something is stripped of its original character and instead given little more than the outer veneer of what it once was. And that's exactly what happened to this, the first Disney Star Wars movie.

What we got here could in many ways be argued as a re-imagining, much as the first new Star Trek film was, down to characters and actors from the original having plot important cameo roles. But what I wanted wasn't a re-imagining, I wanted a continuation.

That's not to say it's an awful film. It's generally well acted and well directed, the special effects are brilliant and it goes along well. If all you want is to be reminded of Star Wars or a generic sci-fi action film then you'll be well catered for. But I wanted something different from that.

I wanted Fugazi following on from Minor Threat. Instead I got a Minor Threat cover band.

I agree with this completely.  To the very letter.   Star Wars VII: Star Wars, the Remake.

My prevailing thought upon seeing this was, "wait--they blew up the damn Death Star...again?"

Still, I really liked that Abrams followed Lucas' decision to cast unknowns.  In an era where celebrity is recursive (where people go to watch celebrities because they are...well, celebrities)  getting some fresh talent in a major high-budget feature is refreshing.   And even the cynical bastard in me fanboy'd a bit at seeing Mark Hamill again.

AmberStarfire

I heard that when..

Rey is held prisoner and strapped into that contraption in her cell, and she tries to convince the stormtrooper to let her out using the jedi mind trick..

That was Daniel Craig in the stormtrooper armour.

Mnemaxa

Quote from: AmberStarfire on December 22, 2015, 02:09:15 AM
I heard that when..

Rey is held prisoner and strapped into that contraption in her cell, and she tries to convince the stormtrooper to let her out using the jedi mind trick..

That was Daniel Craig in the stormtrooper armour.

It is true.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

HannibalBarca

A lot of people have complained about Starkiller base and the recurring planet-killing weapon systems in Star Wars.  Honestly, my question is, why would a political/military entity not continue to create such weapons?  The United States didn't stop making nuclear weapons after they used up 2 of the 3 they'd created at the end of World War 2.  Go with what works, and despite their destruction, they worked pretty well.

In the final analysis, there has to be a balance between suspension of disbelief and common sense for fantasy fiction to work.  The trope of let's get out of here, the place is gonna blow has been a very long-running one, and used in too many works of fiction to count.

I do have to say that the best Star Wars to me, ESB, didn't have a planet-killing, it's gonna blow ending...and maybe that was part of its charm.  But J.J. was cranking up the Star Wars universe again, so recurring tropes and themes wasn't a problem for me.
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

RubySlippers

Quote from: HannibalBarca on December 22, 2015, 11:59:31 AM
A lot of people have complained about Starkiller base and the recurring planet-killing weapon systems in Star Wars.  Honestly, my question is, why would a political/military entity not continue to create such weapons?  The United States didn't stop making nuclear weapons after they used up 2 of the 3 they'd created at the end of World War 2.  Go with what works, and despite their destruction, they worked pretty well.

In the final analysis, there has to be a balance between suspension of disbelief and common sense for fantasy fiction to work.  The trope of let's get out of here, the place is gonna blow has been a very long-running one, and used in too many works of fiction to count.

I do have to say that the best Star Wars to me, ESB, didn't have a planet-killing, it's gonna blow ending...and maybe that was part of its charm.  But J.J. was cranking up the Star Wars universe again, so recurring tropes and themes wasn't a problem for me.

In the First Order's defense the thing was a good investment with one attack they pretty much wiped out their only serious military rival and cut the balls off of the Resistance plus caused chaos among the stellar economy most likely with most of the important core planets wiped out ferociously. Now militarily there is nothing on the field to oppose them for the intermediate future.

Inkidu

A planet-killing starbase has proven itself a deficit weapon platform. Nukes are effective because they're fast an nigh on unstoppable.

The Deathstar and its ilk, not so much. They're more a retelling of the story of the Bismark, not being the new nuke.

What the Deathstar was supposed to be was the big boot of the Emperor to quash rebellion wherever it might crop up. It wasn't there as an instrument of war, just terror.

Though question: Where are atomics in the Star Wars universe? Where's the radiation?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Remiel

Quote from: Inkidu on December 22, 2015, 09:23:38 PM
Though question: Where are atomics in the Star Wars universe? Where's the radiation?

I think House Harkonnen has them all.  ;D

HannibalBarca

I think of it as a chess game, trading a bishop or knight for a queen.  Alderaan, a core world and heart of rebel sympathy, traded for a fifty-mile diameter battlestation.  A few hundred thousand soldiers and crew given up for billions of civilian lives and galactic terror.  Similarly with The New Republic worlds traded for Starkiller Base.  Expensive trade...but an invasion and fleet battle would have been expensive, too...and that would have left the planets intact and able to be recaptured.

QuoteThough question: Where are atomics in the Star Wars universe? Where's the radiation?

Nuclear weapons don't equate to escapist entertainment, I guess...too close to home.

QuoteI think House Harkonnen has them all.  ;D

Dune was more a cerebral science fiction work than the entertainment-friendly Star Wars universe...and Muad'dib was hardcore compared to Luke Skywalker.
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Oniya

Quote from: HannibalBarca on December 22, 2015, 10:59:39 PM
Nuclear weapons don't equate to escapist entertainment, I guess...to close to home.

I thought the whole purpose of Star Wars was to prevent missile attacks.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

HannibalBarca

QuoteI thought the whole purpose of Star Wars was to prevent missile attacks.  ;D

That was according to Ronnie Ray-gun!

On another topic Star Wars-ish...what is up with people abandoning the good fight to run off and pout about their failures?  Yoda did it, Obi-Wan did it, and now Luke does it.

For that matter, abandoning your child/charge to grow up under horrible conditions does not a 'wise mentor' make.  Dumbledore did it with Harry, and if I was Harry, I never would have forgiven him for leaving me with my abusive relatives.  I don't think Rey is Luke's daughter, and if she is...well, ABANDONING her on a desert planet to be raised as a virtual slave leaves him quite bereft in the morality department, let alone the good parent department.

At least Obi-Wan left Luke in the care of two compassionate, hard-working, decent adults.
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu