News:

Main Menu

The new Star Wars

Started by Beorning, October 24, 2015, 03:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnneReinard

I do love me some Old Republic! If only the game's endgame wasn't so riddled with bugs to the support that they just ended up not supporting it...

See, I've always heard the argument that they get flashes of insight into the future that guides how they carry out lightsaber combat and it always fell a bit flat to me. "Always in motion is the future" is a line that Yoda uses in particular. The idea that Jedi are able to perpetually see three seconds into the future with perfect precision always felt wonky.

So that was one of the things I was happy to see fall to the wayside in Force Awakens. That and the Empire being randomly racist for no reason.
Ons and Offs

Always free for a little teasing back and forth. Or suggestions to titles to make this exhibitionist squirm! I adore silly little PMs.

consortium11

Quote from: AnneReinard on January 13, 2016, 07:47:07 AM
I do love me some Old Republic! If only the game's endgame wasn't so riddled with bugs to the support that they just ended up not supporting it...

You want bugs, go back to KOTOR 2; not only did they have to cut huge portions of the game out, what was left was still bug riddled. It's a really pity as the take on the Force in that is one of the most interesting ever presented in a Star Wars universe.

One of the "issues" with lighsabre duels is that they basically have to follow the rule of cool as a way to stop people thinking about it too much otherwise they stop making sense. The obvious example eventually got given a name in the EU (Tràkata); basically turning your own lightsabre on and off. Pretty much any parry in a lightsabre duel should be useless, especially the "dramatic" ones where it's held for a while; all either fighter has to do is turn their own lightsabre off and then turn it back on again when it's past the parry for virtually an auto win.

Assassini

Quote from: AnneReinard on January 13, 2016, 07:47:07 AM

See, I've always heard the argument that they get flashes of insight into the future that guides how they carry out lightsaber combat and it always fell a bit flat to me. "Always in motion is the future" is a line that Yoda uses in particular. The idea that Jedi are able to perpetually see three seconds into the future with perfect precision always felt wonky.

So that was one of the things I was happy to see fall to the wayside in Force Awakens. That and the Empire being randomly racist for no reason.

Could never get into it. I played it AAAAAGES ago back in the Open Beta and thought it LOOKED cool (because I fucking love Star Wars) but it just never edged out WoW for me. But that's a discussion for here.

Well, see, I've always thought that made perfect sense. I mean, the future of a week from now IS going to always be in motion. If you think about real life, what if tomorrow I decide to actually go out for my lunch instead of having sandwichs and I get hit by a random car. That's HARD to predict, and you need a real connection with the Force to be able to do that sort of thing (or a deep connection with the person it involves). On the other hand, predicting what's going to happen 3 seconds from now is kind of possible even without any connection to the mystical Force. I doubt I could, in the next 3 seconds, do anything to really drastically alter the future, and in the middle of an intense sword fight I suspect it's much the same. There may be options, but a lot of the time you will already be making a decision about what to do, and that is what the other person predicts. Hell, even in a real sword fight/fencing one would expect an expert to be able to predict what another person will do based on movements/stance/tactics etc, I just see this as an extra edge to that.

Quote from: consortium11 on January 13, 2016, 08:28:29 AM
You want bugs, go back to KOTOR 2; not only did they have to cut huge portions of the game out, what was left was still bug riddled. It's a really pity as the take on the Force in that is one of the most interesting ever presented in a Star Wars universe.

One of the "issues" with lighsabre duels is that they basically have to follow the rule of cool as a way to stop people thinking about it too much otherwise they stop making sense. The obvious example eventually got given a name in the EU (Tràkata); basically turning your own lightsabre on and off. Pretty much any parry in a lightsabre duel should be useless, especially the "dramatic" ones where it's held for a while; all either fighter has to do is turn their own lightsabre off and then turn it back on again when it's past the parry for virtually an auto win.

Aaaah, see though, this is the point. That OUGHT to be a legitimate move, but if the other combatant predicts that you will turn off your lightsaber then suddenly you are defenseless for that brief flash of time and so while you are moving your turned off lightsaber into the position to turn it back on again, the other guy is already chopping your arm off (see below: "Touching the Void" and "Restore the Balance").

You just check this out, it's pretty cool even if it's definitely not canon in any way:

AmberStarfire

That picture reminds me of Art of the Saber.

(If the music at the start isn't to your taste - stick with it or forward past it. The saber fight is cool).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRVo3hwRYMU

AnneReinard

-10 points for the 9gag version where they put that damnable watermark on it and repost with no artist permission or credit.

Buuuut... I am quite fond of that. The dark side ones with "Torture at Will" make me giggle.
Ons and Offs

Always free for a little teasing back and forth. Or suggestions to titles to make this exhibitionist squirm! I adore silly little PMs.

Assassini

Quote from: AnneReinard on January 13, 2016, 09:00:43 AM
-10 points for the 9gag version where they put that damnable watermark on it and repost with no artist permission or credit.

Buuuut... I am quite fond of that. The dark side ones with "Torture at Will" make me giggle.

Yeah, I actually only ever saw it as a repost of a repost (rule of the internet, yo) so you'll have to forgive the 9gag cancer.

Edit:

Quote from: AmberStarfire on January 13, 2016, 08:58:11 AM
That picture reminds me of Art of the Saber.

(If the music at the start isn't to your taste - stick with it or forward past it. The saber fight is cool).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRVo3hwRYMU

Also, if you enjoy amateur lightsaber videos (and good god, that's from 2002? No wonder it looks like it was filmed with a potato) then you cannot go wrong with the Ryan vs. Dorkman series. Back in the day (and I really do mean back in the day) they were the gods of amateur lightsabers. Was pretty legit!

Mathim

Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Lustful Bride

Not sure where else to put this, this thread seems like the best place to discuss the new Star Wars news.

Anyway, an Obi Wan stand alone film is now in negotiations.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/obi-wan-kenobi-star-wars-film-planned-director-talks-1030505

I am so excited for this I hope they bring back Ewan Maccgregor. I am eager to see what they do with this.

I kind of hope that It will go with a Logan type feel, slowly building to the arrival of a long forgotten enemy.

Outlaw Fallen

I know I'm a bit late to this party, but having finally seen Rogue One, I will say that I am definitely looking forward to the Obi Wan stand alone. Especially if they do it the same justice that they did Rogue One. Admittedly, I went into the movie skeptical. Actually, if I'm completely honest, I went into Rogue One WANTING to hate it, since so much of what I love about the universe is tied to the dichotomy of the Force, and Rogue One is largely bereft of Jedi and Sith, especially when Ep7 was such a massive disappointment to me. The whole movie just felt like it was... not necessarily jumping from one point to the next so much as... ugh it's hard to put into words.

Like, you know how with any movie you watch, logically, you know that there are plenty of things going on in the universe, arbitrary or relevant, that you never see in the movie because... well, you can only fit so much in a time frame, and the point of the movie is to cover those moments that are most captivating and relevant to a story. But it's not something that ever actually occurs to you as missing from the film. I'm speaking, of course, of filler. We, as writers, deal with filler enough to know that there is a fine line between too much and not enough, and how it is applied.

Ep7 felt like... I dunno... the whole movie was just pushing from one 'important' moment to the next for the sake of getting to the next scene. Like it didn't really flow. And, really, of all the complaints I thought I would have about a disney made Star Wars film, this was not among them. All in all, I would have given Ep7 a 7/10 (which... is me being generous because of my love for the universe) which would probably be a 5 or 6/10 for anyone else. Not that I want to speak for anyone else in this.

Anyways, maybe it took Ep7 for them to work the kinks out of the equation, because they definitely did right by Rogue One in my book. I'm definitely looking forward to more Star Wars movies and hopefully more television shows.
"I fought the decisions that called and lost
My mark has the relevant piece in this
I will come reformed
In short, for the murder of those I court
I bless the hour that holds your fall
I will kill you all" - Coheed & Cambria
A/A's UPDATED! (6/6/19) | Desires | Outlaw-bait

"Doesn't love always begin that way; with the illusion more real than the woman?" - Jean-Luc Picard