News:

Main Menu

Miniature painting

Started by Beorning, August 12, 2015, 05:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhi

The angel looks awesome, but is that a whirlwind of gore? Yuck!

Kingdom Death released new models today. They are selling out quickly. There's an encore release of one of the old models, not available for years. This was the miniature that first drew me to the company, and unfortunately by the time I was aware of it was long gone. So I was excited to see it available again.
https://shop.kingdomdeath.com/collections/in-stock/products/white-speaker-nico

First of all she has this unusual body shape which I had not seen outside of garage manufacturers like Freebooter. Sculptors like Werner Klocke distinguish one inch women from the men by making them very dainty. Bobby Jackson and Sandra Garrity sculpt women much the same as men but give them big spherical breasts or amazon hair to let you know they are women. I respect those artists but these are relics of the 90s, pre-digital sculpting.

Nico has weight. Everything from her body shape to her stride to the way she tenses her arm has character. And, she has very short hair, which you never see. I was in love. I'm happy to finally have the chance to paint one.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: Dhi on May 26, 2017, 08:45:03 PM
The angel looks awesome, but is that a whirlwind of gore? Yuck!

Flame. was supposed to be a whirlwind of flame.

I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now.

Dhi

That makes so much more sense.

Beorning

*pops back into the thread after a three-month absence*

Okay, a question: what is Kingdom Death? Would you mind telling a bit more about it, Dhi?

Dhi

It's a self-running tabletop game about hunting intricate monsters, building a civilization in a nightmare purgatory, and growing doomed heroes and heroines out of feral survivors with nothing but a lantern and a jagged stone to their name.

Backers will begin receiving version 1.5 at the end of August. When I get mine, I'll be interested to run games here on Elliquiy. The issue is that, at least until one of the later expansions I've also ordered, it really isn't feasible to get into the role of a single character. Characters will die. The loss condition is not when the current character you're playing dies, but when your settlement runs out of survivors completely. So if you go by the rules as written at least, it's suited to a board game approach rather than a sexy times group game.

Beorning

Interesting! So it's a board game? How many players does it need? And where do the minis come into it?

TheLaughingOne

AAaannnndddd.... Where does one buy it from..?
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Beorning

Aaaand, aside from the Kingdom Death questions:

Dhi, I looked at all of the images you posted. As usual, I really like what you're doing! My favourite mini of the bunch you posted during these last three months is the Forsaker. The glowing / heated-up bits are just beautiful!

And I envy you for your determination to work on the bases. That mushroom base was great! And you made a base with reeds (I think?) for one of these KD minis...

Pockets

Does anyone have a preference for the type/brand of brushes they use? I used to use the sable brushes that GW used to put out, but now that the detail brushes are like $23 US Dollars each, I'm looking at alternatives. I already use Vallejo and Reaper paints.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Dhi

The sweet spot is 4 players, but it supports 1-6. I've heard the 6-player variant is too difficult as it stands now.

There are three types of Kingdom Death miniatures. The actual game pieces are used during grid-based showdowns between characters and creatures. Those come with the core game Monster and its expansions, like Flower Knight and Dragon King. Character miniatures are very modular with mix and patch parts from every monster and expansion, so if you have a favorite character with specific equipment from all over, you can build exactly that. That's part of why the kits are so expensive.

Not used in the game are narrative sculpts, and pinups. Most of what I've been posting are pinups from the Pinups of Death collection. Most of those are not really canon, but Fade and the Disciples of the Witch have since become official game pieces. Fade is very cool and ties into an upcoming expansion, so a lot of people are trying to get their hands on her now.

And getting any of this sold out stuff, including the Monster core game, is tough. Currently Monster is funded completely through Kickstarter and any remaining copies tend to go to GenCon and sell out there. But, Adam has said the 1.5 Kickstarter will be the last, and that they will soon have a way to meet demand independently. That's probably not going to happen before next year.

Quote from: Pockets on May 28, 2017, 05:36:44 PM
Does anyone have a preference for the type/brand of brushes they use? I used to use the sable brushes that GW used to put out, but now that the detail brushes are like $23 US Dollars each, I'm looking at alternatives. I already use Vallejo and Reaper paints.
Synthetic brushes are totally fine for beginning painters. You can bang them up, bend the tips and get gunk in the ferrule, and toss them without feeling like you've wasted a lot of money. When you've mastered a brush, Winsor & Newton Series 7 watercolor brushes are widely held to be the best out there. They are expensive, though.

Series 7 are made with Kolinsky sable. There are some cheaper brands that use the same material, used by plenty of artists. Rosemary brushes ship from England and are about $6. Roubloff ship direct from Russia and are about $4. Depending on where you live, shipping can be a lot, so it's better to buy in quantity.

I'd recommend size 1 as a workhorse brush, size 2 for glazes so there's more reservoir before paint reaches the ferrule, and size 0 for super fine details like eyes and freehand. Artist's brushes branded as "miniature" means that the bristles are shorter, a bad thing.

TheLaughingOne

As i looked at alot of this stuff at their site, the painted minis, and soforth... BLAST AND DAMN!!

:I really looks cool, and checking ebay.... yyheeeaaaahhhh....
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Beorning

Okay, so! Here's what I promised to post back in February - the second Asura for Infinity's Aleph faction:

Here are the two Asuras together:

Currently, I'm stuck for some reason and I haven't painted anything more, unfortunately... But I have a Dakini Tactbot glued together, so this should be my next project.

Anyway, the Infinity minis are awesome! I wish I could do them justice...

originalazrael

This is probably a little weird, but I play a game called Dice Masters, and wanted to ask about painting the sidekick and action dice.

The dice in question are plastic, with laser cut symbols on the sides, (I assume). I can use paint pens to repaint the engravings, but I want to try swirling for the exterior. However, most of the videos I see for swirling usually involve something with a hook to dip it. Is there a way to do this method so that I can cover the whole dice without doing it in parts, or something?

Also, if I use a paint pen after for the interiors, would I have to worry about rubbing off the other paint?
Psst! Over here! This is important!

I also have a request thread available!

Current RPs: 8
Currently Plotting: 2
Available for RPs: Yes
originalazrael#2659

Dhi

originalazrael, when I was little, my sister and I would use yellow Sharpie markers to erase details from dolls to re-paint them. If the paint pens give off fumes, they have a similar organic solvent that will scrub off painted-on details. If they have no fumes, they're probably okay. I can't say with 100% certainty they will be okay.

To hold things for painting we will generally drill in a tiny wire, around 28 gauge, using a $10 pin vise. I guess if you're worried about the balance of your dice, drilling into them might be a no-no.

Here's something I painted this week, Frankenstein Lucy from the KD Halloween grab bag.

Oniya

Maybe a loop of thin wire?  They use something like that for dipping eggs in dye, so it might be possible to improvise something smaller.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Dhi

After finishing all 8 of the Pinups of Death I thought it would be neat to see them all together.

I was terrified at first to actually paint them. I did not think my painting abilities were up to the task, and I had not really made bases before. Each one was a learning experience and having met that challenge, I feel up to painting so many other things and really expanding my hobby into new places.

I hope you find the inspiration to keep going, Beorning. Your brushwork is very good, and that's the one thing you can't learn from a video. It's hard to keep going sometimes. Every mini is a hundred little successes and a hundred little failures. When I first started painting, it was because I took a look at all my Chinese prepainted Dungeons & Dragons minis and realized, hey, there are basically no women at all, I guess I need to paint my own. I never would have imagined it would end up making me this happy, and at the end, you have a very real thing to share with the world. It's wonderful.

TheLaughingOne

Woo! God damn! That is some fancy damn painting there! Brava!!!
My Ons and Offs!

Ershin

Dhi, the shading/blending on the skin of all your Kingdom Death minis is amazing. It makes me realise that I need to work on my blending.

Beorning - those are looking good, I like the mix of cream and gold for a colour scheme. May I suggest painting the edge of the base in a neutral colour such as a light brown? It can help the base blend into the tabletop compared to a harsh or dark colour like black and draw the eye more towards the mini when the edge of the base is flat like the infinity minis you're working on (a good example in this case would be Games Workshop's "Steel Legion Drab")

Also, horror stories from when I first started painting: when I was a kid I didn't know that gloss varnish was a thing and because the teacher at school who ran the wargaming club had shiny minis I painted stuff on thick with enamel. Not only did it pretty much ruin the minis (which thankfully were starter set snap-fit Space Marines with very little detail) but also the brush I was using to paint them D:

Speaking of glossy, has anyone here had any experience with Reaper's Bones line of minis? It seems that every time I try to paint something from that line it turns out incredibly glossy and sticky, can anyone think of what's up with that?

Pockets

Quote from: Ershin on June 03, 2017, 04:57:24 AM
Speaking of glossy, has anyone here had any experience with Reaper's Bones line of minis? It seems that every time I try to paint something from that line it turns out incredibly glossy and sticky, can anyone think of what's up with that?

I use Reaper Bones mini's all the time and don't have that problem, what line of paint are you using? Because it sounds like you're using a really thick slow drying paint.

I use Vallejo, Reaper, and some Citadel paints/washes.
08/02 - New A/A Update

TheLaughingOne

... Damn. watching some of the lets play of people playing KD i REALLY want to get this game, but costs a damn ton on ebay.. though tempted to get some of the models alone just for painting..
My Ons and Offs!

Ershin

Quote from: Pockets on June 03, 2017, 07:04:39 AM
I use Reaper Bones mini's all the time and don't have that problem, what line of paint are you using? Because it sounds like you're using a really thick slow drying paint.

I use Vallejo, Reaper, and some Citadel paints/washes.
I am also using Citadel paints and washes. Might just be the particular minis I was using, I'll try it out on a couple more and see if they turn out differently.

Dhi

What I hear is that spray primer with enamel, like Rustoleum, turns Bones sticky.

Pockets

I've heard the same as it takes FOREVER to properly dry. I suggest using a flat grey paint as a primer. The lighter shades of grey for applications like whites, yellows, and pale greens. Darker for blues, darker greens, and reds (unless you want a light red). I'm doing a set of orcs based painted in Reaper's Shadowed Stone (09085) and the Viper Green (09228) I'm using is coming out just the right tine of dark green that the only thing I'll need to do is give it a wash and it'll be good. I won't even have to shade it outside of the wash.
08/02 - New A/A Update

originalazrael

Quote from: Dhi on June 02, 2017, 11:14:23 PM
originalazrael, when I was little, my sister and I would use yellow Sharpie markers to erase details from dolls to re-paint them. If the paint pens give off fumes, they have a similar organic solvent that will scrub off painted-on details. If they have no fumes, they're probably okay. I can't say with 100% certainty they will be okay.

I believe you are referring to Xylene. Illegal in Australia. And yes, drilling into my dice would be a no-no.

Quote from: Oniya on June 02, 2017, 11:26:46 PM
Maybe a loop of thin wire?  They use something like that for dipping eggs in dye, so it might be possible to improvise something smaller.

I do use hooks when I do swirling, not sure if the wire will affect that, but worth a try, thanks! My friend uses a very closely meshed mini fry basket for his dipping method with no problem, so shouldn't be too difficult to try this.
Psst! Over here! This is important!

I also have a request thread available!

Current RPs: 8
Currently Plotting: 2
Available for RPs: Yes
originalazrael#2659

Beorning

Quote from: Dhi on June 03, 2017, 04:04:30 AM
After finishing all 8 of the Pinups of Death I thought it would be neat to see them all together.

Wow! Great job. The colours on these minis are amazing.

I have a question: are the bases custom or did these minis some with the bricks, wood etc.?

I hope you find the inspiration to keep going, Beorning. Your brushwork is very good, and that's the one thing you can't learn from a video. It's hard to keep going sometimes. Every mini is a hundred little successes and a hundred little failures. When I first started painting, it was because I took a look at all my Chinese prepainted Dungeons & Dragons minis and realized, hey, there are basically no women at all, I guess I need to paint my own. I never would have imagined it would end up making me this happy, and at the end, you have a very real thing to share with the world. It's wonderful.

Thank you for the compliments, although I don't can't really see anything special about my brushwork etc.  :-) And I can't do shading at all - I tried to do some hair shading on the second Asura, but does it show? Nooooo...

Still, not giving up! I plan on resuming painting in a few days. The idea is to finish the Tactbot, then paint a male Naga and Achilles - and with that, a basic Aleph team would be finished (there are two more Tactbots to paint, but I can add them later) and ready for play. Then, I hope to start painting the Haqqislam and Nomads minis.

I admit that it's a bit hard to keep painting, as basically the whole family keeps telling me that this hobby is stupid... But I try not to get disheartened.  ::)

Beorning - those are looking good, I like the mix of cream and gold for a colour scheme. May I suggest painting the edge of the base in a neutral colour such as a light brown? It can help the base blend into the tabletop compared to a harsh or dark colour like black and draw the eye more towards the mini when the edge of the base is flat like the infinity minis you're working on (a good example in this case would be Games Workshop's "Steel Legion Drab")

Thank you! I like how the colour scheme turned out. The official Asuras are painted in cold colours (as all of the Aleph troops are): whites, blues, blacks etc. I decided to try something different and went for gold, as well as unnatural hair colours. The idea was to give them somewhat angelic aspect.

As for the bases - oh, the bases on the photos simply haven't been painted yet  ;D For all the Infinity bases so far, I''ve been using greenstuff to cover up the minis' foot tabs and the tab slots. Then, I paint the bases with Vallejo's Desert Yellow paint, which is kind of dirty light brown. So no, no dark edges etc...