Warhammer 40k, Freeform RP based on Inquisitor, may range from [NA] to [EX]

Started by Maximillian Crowloft, February 04, 2009, 05:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximillian Crowloft

With the recent opening of the Warhammer 40.000 Dawn of War II multiplayer beta, my enthusiasm for the Warhammer40k universe has once again reached a point where too much of my time is spent diving through occult player guides and codexes to find that one inspiring weapon, armour or character, upon which I can base another quick story.
Then, still being new to Elliquiy, I realised that there was no need to keep the high integrity and inspired universe of Warhammer 40k to myself. I would love to play an Inquisitorial game with multiple players. Both female and male, and towards wherever the RP may take us.

Whether it is a group of young daring imperial guardsmen sent on a suicide mission only to find something none of their superiors were expecting, or a small group of the adeptus astartes, more commonly known as the space marines, trying to hold holy ground against unstoppable odds. Upon which investigation and retaliation must be executed on the assaulters.
A radical Inquisitor would be able to convey with deamon or half-deamon kind, and corrupted men might seek all the pleasures slaanesh has to offer. The Dark Eldar have long been executing slave raids, and their tortured screams haunt the twilight city.

Anyone interested in this universe and wishing more detail on the various races and possibilities for characters can ask away, my knowledge of the universe is extensive and I love to share the gruesome details of it.
Furthermore, I would not be opposed to be the GM of this game, though may decide to hand the position over if someone more capable or daring offers to try for the position.

This part of the introduction post will offer the first insights on the story of this particular RP and some of the important characters who will be starring in it. To start off, the campaign will for the majority of the time take place in the Calleras system:

The Calleras system. A small cluster of planets at the far off reaches of the Ultima Segmentum. The four planets and their moons have been spared the brunt of the Tyranid Hive fleet attacks, though have seen their fair share of battle. Small outbreaks of heretics and mutants plague the regions, though the presence of the Ultramarines so nearby has always spurred on the Imperial guard regiments to deal with such threats before the Marines have to come in. It is never a good thing on a commander's record if he required the help of the space marines to deal with small pests.

For now the planets live in reasonable peace. The two hive worlds hold strong Imperial guard regiments, all drafted from the planet's surface and the very best of these recruits sometimes make it far enough to be picked up by Ultramarine recruiting officers. Both Miran and Delvon are ruled by their own Governor-General. While Aerlian Hemeron of Miran, a fourty-three year old veteran of war is content with his rulership over one planet and all its worries, Sandren Khamaro the thirty-two year old shock-commander of Delvon has tasted the lust for power and is dearly hoping for an opportunity to show his courage and prowess in the name of the Emperor. Taking back a world from feral orks or simply fighting off somewhere other than the 'stinking hellhole' he feels the higher ups have dumped him in.
The remaining two planets are a Pleasure world and a Forge world respectively. Tychas, the pleasure world, is often visited by the Imperial nobility and its beauty and culture would amaze any inhabitant of the filthy and overpopulated hive worlds. Chrom-IV, the Forge world, is lead by the fabricator-general Marcus Ireili Vostanal. Aiming to upgrade his relatively new Forge world to a II-Prima production grade whilst still providing a large portion of the Ultramarines' armoury, he hopes to procure new pacts and vows with nearby mining worlds to secure stable progress towards his goal.

Lately, the increased activity of the Heritics on both Miran and Delvon have caught the attention of the Inquisition. Should such activity spread rapidly amongst the hive cities of these worlds, then many people loyal to the Imperium could be converted and Chaos would find itself a small outpost within the weakened part of the Ultima Segmentum. The added possibility of the valuable Forge world falling into the hands of the Traitor legions could cause immense damage to the strength of the Imperium in this section. To make matters worse, the nobility visiting Tychas have begun to put pressure on both Governor-Generals to put an end to the heretical infestation, lest it disturb their vacations on the nearby pleasure planet.

All of these parts combined cause for more than enough reason for the Ordo Hereticus to send an Inquisitor to take care of the irregularities. His mission is to find out the cause of the heretical outbreaks and put a stop to them, by all means necessary.
Though due to one of the many miscommunications between the Hive worlds, the nobility and several of the branches of the Inquisition, not one, but two Inquisitors have been sent. Completely unaware of eachother until they meet on one of the planets or in orbit. Their ways differing greatly and their followers different in every kind.

How they solve not only the problem of the Heritics but also each other, is a story that will develop as it goes. Though whatever happens, may their Faith in the God-Emperor stand forever strong.

Horusian Side

PLAYER: 
Asmodeus

NAME: 
Vailon Chaarn

Inquisitor, Ordo Hereticus
Horusian

WEAPONS: 
Lightning Claw
Autopistol (with a few DumDum, Flechette & Manstopper rounds)
Hallucinogen grenade

ARMOUR:
Carapace Armour, Hexagrammic Wards
Psychic Hood

BIONICS:
Bionic arm (Advanced)

ITEMS:
Stimm-Inhaler (with Reflex)
Stimm-Injector (with Spook)

PSYCHIC POWERS:
Demoralise, Distraction, Psychic Shriek

---   ---

PLAYER:
dready

NAME: 

Adepta Sorarita member
Horusian Retinue

WEAPONS: 
Dual Melta-Pistols, Frag Grenades, Flak Grenades

ARMOUR:
Power Armour, Purity Seals
Atmospheric Jump Pack

ITEMS:
-

STORED ITEMS:
-

---   ---

PLAYER:
Kroduk

NAME:
Gor

BONE'ead
Horusian Retinue

WEAPONS:
Ripper gun w/saw bayonet
Stub gun (rather large)
Combat knife
Frag grenades

ARMOUR:
Heavily modified Flak armor. (poorly stitched together from several suits)

BIONICS:
Optics (Riveted in)

ITEMS:
Bandoleers of Ripper rounds across his chest

PSYCHIC POWERS:
The ability to count to FIVE!

Thorian Side

PLAYER:
Paladin

NAME:
Andreas Whitefire

Inquisitor

WEAPONS:
Ancient Rune Sword and Bolt Pistol Reloads of Standard, Psi-bolts, Inferno bolts

ARMOUR:
Mesh Armor

BIONICS:
Bionic Eye with Targeter, Nightvision, and infrared

ITEMS:
Emperors Tarot, Consecrated scrolls, Red-Dot laser Sight, Clip Harness, Gas Mask, Data Slate, Psychic hood, 

PSYCHIC POWERS: 
Minor:
Chameleon
Flash Bang
Healer
Fearful Aura

Major:
Prenatural Awareness
Fire Bolt
Fire Storm
Telekenetic Shield
Compel
Mind Scan

Stored Objects:
None

---   ---

PLAYER:
Paladin

NAME:
Conrad Ulrich

Justicar (Equivalent to Sgt.)
Thorian Retinue

WEAPONS:
Nemesis Force Sword, Gauntlet Mounted Storm Bolter with Psycannon Bolts

ARMOUR:
Aegis Suit with Hexagramic and Pentagramic Wards and Purity seals

BIONICS:
Space Marine Augmenatations

ITEMS:
Liber Demonicus, Spare Bolter Reloads for Psybolts, Standard rounds, Infero Bolts

PSYCHIC POWERS:
The Shrouding, The Aegis

STORED ITEMS:
Spare Ammo, Gun repairkit and Armor repair Kit.

---   ---

PLAYER:
Voichin

NAME: 
Ratmir Yarolslawsky

Captain of the 241ST Vostroyan regiment, "Legia Zaimprowizowany"
-

WEAPONS: 
Laspistol
Powersword

ARMOUR:
Crimson Flak armour

STORED ITEMS:
Assault bike, Cameoline. Meltagun, Grenade launcher, Frak grenades, Krak grenades, Longlas (sniper rifle), Demolition charges; Frezon and Reflex injector, Sacred machine oil
O&O

Asmodeus

I'm game.

An inquisitor and his retinue sounds like a good place to start.  Maybe set him against a rival inquisitor as well.

A Guard plot would also be interesting, but I'd vote for an Inquisitorial investigation if given the choice.

I like playing human(ish) characters, whether corrupted, stoic, or gene-seeded up to the eyeballs. ;)

consortium11

Take me down as a possible interest depending on how other games go or start up.

I haven't played 40k in years (and I mean that literally... pretty much since around the time the Dark Eldar showed up), so my knowledge may be a little out, but I still remember the basics.

An Inquisitor's party seems like the most logical idea, as the Inquisitor game already gave a good vision of what such a group would be like. A group of guardsmen would be cool, but runs the risk of not really taking advantage of the universe, and just being a more varied version of Aliens. Space marines suffer from problems in that IIRC pretty much everyone within a Legion is basically the same, their individuality gentically wiped out and all being suicidially loyal to the Empire, unless you'd run it similar to the Necromunda type campaign with a Scout group from a destroyed legion that the Citadel Journal ran the rules for.

Maximillian Crowloft

Both problems with the guardsmen and the Space marines would work out well if put against eachother. One person could play a space marine enlisted by the inquisitor and a lone guardsman might have come in contact with something that makes him interesting to the Inquisitor.

I personally love the idea of pitting inquisitors, and their retinues against eachother. One might be subconciously corrupted, whether by chaos, the necron, Tyranids or even the Orks (not sure how that last would work out, but its a large universe, I'm sure the possibility is there.)

Furthermore, a radical inquisitor on one side and a puritan on the other would mean we can have corrupted and alien characters on one side and grey knights and/or sisters of battle on the other.

With two people, we could already start out, the Inquisitor(s) getting their retinues together and still allow time for more people to join. On the other hand, waiting might end up with better ideas/plans.

Tell me which you prefer, and we can work it out.
O&O

Asmodeus

I say we get into it.

I'd be happy to play one of the Inquisitors.

Why don't we leave both sides in the grey area, so we're not sure which is good or evil?  Maybe both Inquisitors have their own good intentions, but different methods.

And I like the idea of having the odd lone space marine or guardsman in the retinues.

Maximillian Crowloft

Space marine veteran, vindicare assassin, or just a normal guardsman for all I care. An inquisitor could have any reason to pick up a man, perhaps its just his nephew and he's trying to get him out of a bloody assault on an ork camp, never expecting the sudden turn of events that is about to take place.

I would love to play out two inquisitors against each other, subtly manipulating events in the background to allow both to believe they're right.

Alright, this thread will still be here for everyone who wishes to join, which could happen at any time during the RP. Inquisitors change their retinue quite often, simply because their team-mates tend to die. In a universe like Warhammer40k, no one is safe.

Before we begin though, we will need to reach a consensus on characters. Assuming now that I will be the GM, everyone would need to bring a character draft. There are no specific rules yet, though limit yourself to non-legendary equipment. Top of the notch, one or two master crafted items, you would be an inquisitor after all. Anyone wishing to be part of the retinue will also have top grade equipment, somewhat less costly than that of the inquisitorial leader.
O&O

HairyHeretic

I know GW have put at least some of the Special Games rules up for free download from their website. I don't know if the =I= rules are amongst them, but if they are you may find them handy.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Maximillian Crowloft

I appreciate the heads up, though I personally was looking to go through the RP without the use of rules and work by the GM's rule of thumb. I hope that this intention was clear when I started, its why I added the freeform RP in the title.

Nevertheless, help is always appreciated.
O&O

HairyHeretic

I was thinking of it more as a useful resource book for gear and such.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Maximillian Crowloft

On that subject it will be a very useful tool, though a while back I had found a Warhammer wikia online, providing a wealth of information outside the usual rulebooks.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

The weapons of the Imperium page is a quick and easy list available for everyone to see.
O&O

consortium11

IIRC a Vindicare Assasin would be fairly over-powered in a game such as this.

I'd prefer to play someone other than an Inquisitor, but I'll happily step in as needed.

Asmodeus

How's this:

NAME:  Inquisitor Vailon Chaarn

SECT:  Horusian

APPEARANCE:   

EQUIPMENT: 
Bionic arm (Advanced)
Lightning Claw
Autopistol (with a few DumDum, Flechette & Manstopper rounds)
Carapace Armour (with Hexagrammic Wards and Psychic Hood)
Stimm-Inhaler (with Reflex)
Stimm-Injector (with Spook) 
1 Hallucinogen grenade

PSYCHIC POWERS:  Demoralise, Distraction, Psychic Shriek

BACKGROUND:  Inquisitor Vailon is a firm believer in the Horusian Edict - that a new leader can be born to lead the Imperium to a golden age.  He joined the sect after serving 20 years in the Ordo Hereticus, where his penchant for torture and shock tactics upheld the fearsome reputation of that order. 

He met Inquisitor Malthus briefly during the Kraken Wars 10 years ago.  Tasked with the purging of Genestealer Cults on Ichar IV, Vailon persuaded Malthus to delay aerial bombardment in favour of a ground assault on one of the main Cults.  A whole platoon of Guardsmen were lost in the assault, and as the men perished Vailon went on ahead to encounter firsthand the Genestealer Patriarch.  Fascinated by its psychic powers, Vailon got too close and lost his arm to the creature before being forced to kill it.  Inquisitor Malthus never forgave Vailon for this error, nor himself for letting cruder tactics prevail.  Most of all, Malthus never forgot Vailon's unorthodox fascination with the Genestealer Cults.

Vailon's defection to the Horusian sect over the next 10 years was inevitable.  With each cult he helped to eradicate, with each religion he extinguished, he began to find links: deities appearing in separate religions, symbols reccuring, men attaining divinity through the hand of Chaos.  These discoveries, twinned with his growing stimm addiction, led him to the belief that there was greater scheme a work - an answer hidden in the esoteric secrets of the Cults.  After a succession of religious visions, he chose his new path - to collate and penetrate the beliefs of these heretics in search for a "holy grail" of sorts - a formula for the supreme being who would replace the Emperor. 

Maximillian Crowloft

Perfect for a radical inquisitor, the frenzon addiction would be a hampering factor towards "smart" decisions in combat though, and you may want to give it a second thought. After all, if your character is limited to simply charging into battle, then any type of dangerous situation will result in just that.

I'm not telling you not to give your character this trait, simply offering feedback for your character creation. The rest is great, perhaps a small note in your history where you lost your arm, or if you simply chose to have it removed and replaced, might add more character.

Looks like a good character for the radical side, now I hope we'll find one for the puritan side, otherwise I might have to step in the game myself.

On the vindicare assassin topic, that depends entirely on what kind of situations I put you guys in. And I am sure I know plenty where a vindicare assasin finds himself in a situation where quick thinking and a lot of luck will be needed. After all, even if you play inquisitor against inquisitor. No inquisitor, or someone associated with him could afford to be linked to another inquisitor's death. Quick and merciless persecution will be arranged. Without bringing charges to the High Lords of Terra, no assassination may take place. And if you kill someone who works with another Inquisitor, an order may be arranged to simply put you to death. Every kill an assassin makes must be signed by the High Lords of Terra, so that will put quite some limitations on what might seem an overpowered character.

Since we're just starting out, you would be welcome to join the first inquisitor's retinue. After all, we don't need a counter-Inquisitor right off the bat.
O&O

Asmodeus

Ah, good point about the arm.  I've added that in.

Yeah, I couldn't remember the names of any other 40K drugs except Frenzon.  I thought it was a general name for a range of psychoactive drugs, so I stuck with it.

The one I want is the one that boosts psychic abilities and premonitions (Is it "Spook"?).  He uses it to meditate and contemplate on vast amounts of information when he's undistracted.

Maximillian Crowloft

Spook is likely the drug you mean then, Frenzon itself is a concoction of various drugs, though that particular mix makes you go practically berserk. Spook and psi-crystals could be used to enhance your psychic abilities. Though I'd go with Spook for the use you had in mind, psi-crystals are typically used to channel psyker spells. Even so, it might not be a bad idea to take a psi-crystal with you, as well as a familiar. If you're just starting out with the psychic abilities, you'll need all the help you can get, especially if you're going to try and work them during battle.

For the rest though, your character looks about ready to get his show on the road. All he needs is a good lead into a chaos or heretic religion, and he'd be ready to dive right in.
O&O

Voichin

Notable for bad manners and lack of empathy.

ONs and OFFs

Maximillian Crowloft

As long as he's either a war hero or has a relation of some kind to the Inquisitor, he would yes. Funny hats though, that would stand out. Though going undercover will almost surely be a necessity.
O&O

Voichin

ONs and OFFs

Maximillian Crowloft

Voichin,

Perhaps you could give a small history and character section for your character. While we haven't started yet, it would be best to get such things done before we start posting. After all, I'm here to see whether or not you take items your character couldn't or shouldn't have, and doing that before we start is always better than too late.

I myself will be working on several important characters for the storyline I'm developing and will edit the starting post of this RP to contain them and a small introduction to the current events.
O&O

Asmodeus

Got my friend Shadey writing up the puritan Inquisitor.  We're good at antagonizing each other, and he's all wordy like a Puritan should be.  ;)

Voichin

NAME: Captain Ratmir Yarolslawsky

REGIMENT: 241ST Vostroyan regiment, "Legia Zaimprowizowany"

APPEARANCE: Still under thirty, captain Yaroslawsky has youthful appearance, partially due to the fact that unlike most other vostroyans prefers long sideburns to beard and mustaches since they suit better to his long face. The vostroyan keeps his wavy dark blond hair longer, but not long enough to reach his shoulders.

His uniform is crimson, with the traditional hat and long coat, but in spite of his rank he does not carry the traditional long lazrifle. Instead his weaponry consists of more practical, one handed arms - an ornate lazpistol and power sword, all of which - older than him.

BACKGROUND: With excellent mechanical knowledge since before he joined the ranks of the first-born and quick reflexes, captain  Yaroslawsky gained the reputation of a prodigy for being able to command almost every vehicle, deployed by the "Improvised regiment". Starting as a rough rider, which is still his his specialty he was later used to guide heavy machines through difficult terrain and even as artillerist, quickly adapting to the ever-shifting tactics of the regiment. Gaining anecdotal notoriety for swapping his assault bike for orkish wartruck in the middle of a battle and then causing serious confusion in their ranks with it, Yaroslawsky is sometimes considered reckless, but also highly acclaimed for his bravery in battle.

ACCESS TO: Assault bike, Land speeder; Cameoline; Melta weapons, Grenade launcher with frak and/or crak grenades, sniper rifle, demolition charges; combat drugs, Sacred machine oil;

ONs and OFFs

Jack Shade

Oy Oy Oy....

Quite the plethora of terms and the like...I've quite the long night ahead of me attempting to educate myself in these Warhammer terms.

Still...I'd like to try an Inquisitor with a Thorianism viewpoint.  An interesting counterbalance to Asmo's character in the similarity that they both agree on a new emperor...though the methods differ immensely.

Makes for what I believe to be an interesting idea of character conflict.

Still...I'll be frank...I've little knowledge in the realm of Warhammer at the time being.

*busies himself in the feverish studying of Warhammer facts*

Asmodeus

*blink blink*

I think that's Shadey.

Let's all call him Shadey so his fancy new name NEVER catches on.

Right, so that's the two Inquisitors.  I guess it's time for people to pick sides.

Maximillian Crowloft

Voichin,

Ratmir Yarolslawsky is looking like a great character, background leading into specialist skills, very nicely done. Though your equipment list is rather small. Basically you have a Laspistol and a powersword. It would be a good idea to expand on this during the course of the RP if you don't want to add to it beforehand. Things you could think of are bionic upgrades or hardwired wargear. Even grenades and stimulant injectors should be added to an equipmentlist if you're planning to carry them with you. Otherwise, still a great character, loved the wartruck part.

Nylock/Shadey, I'll call you whatever you prefer if you let me know you have preference,
The site I use for quick reference to Warhammer terms is http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page , a usefull wiki with search options. Its the main site for the weapons of the imperium link I provided earlier, for those who hadn't caught on yet.
And you're right, the Thorianism viewpoint allows me to base the RP on the prelude to the emperor's reincarnation/resurrection. Throw in some heretics who want to ruin it or manipulate it and some focal points such as shrines and relics, and we've got quite the setup for intrige, combat, moral debate and everything else you might want in a campaign. After all, there are few races besides the Imperium of man who would want to see the emperor resurrected.

A Radical Horusian Inquisitor versus a Puritan Thorianism Inquisitor, time to pick sides indeed.
O&O

HairyHeretic

Nylock, I should also point out that unapproved members have access only to a small portion of the site. In all likelyhood this game won't be in that portion. Now, should you be approved, this will no longer be a consideration, but approval is not automatic. It's better not to start looking for games while still unapproved.

And while I'm not playing this, I am a big 40k fan, so if anyone wants to talk background, feel free to ping me.

I still recall the very first Inquisitor ever mentioned, in Rogue Trader, Obi-wan Sherlock Clueseau.  :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Voichin

Well, the concept behind the "Improvised regiment" is that they are specialized in adopting fighting tactics and weaponry according to the situation, thus I decided to put just the bare minimum before finding out in what military position will be the character in the beginning of the roleplay. Carrying several grenades on your belt if you are in a big and populated area for example makes you look like a moron and heavy anti-tank weapons are simply...heavy.

I'll simply add equipment to which he has access according to the mission.

ONs and OFFs

Maximillian Crowloft

Which was what I meant when I said, 'expand on this during the course of the RP'. I hope Nylock gets approved quickly, because when he gets into his character, we can get this show on the road.

Do you have a preference for which Inquisitor you will be working Voichin? If not, I can simply conscript you in either one's service. After all, an Inquisitor needs someone to drive his vehicles. And a war hero who specialises in this would be a perfect candidate for that job.
O&O

Asmodeus

I'm sure Shadey will get approved.

I attacked a few members and threatened to put a cat in a blender, and they still approved me.  Shadey should be fine, as long as none of you are female.

Voichin

I'll wait and see what will be Nylock's character and then decide, but as far as dogmas go, I prefer the Thorian ideas better.

ONs and OFFs

Jack Shade

I've well noted approval is not automatic...I can only hope I'm the kind of material this site desires and that it shant take an over abundance of time to step toward the other side.

Thank you for the reference site on Warhammer...I'll read up as much as I can and submit a character somewhere in the noontime of tomorrow.

Or toward the early hours if things end up ahead of schedule.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Maximillian Crowloft

Congratulations Nylock, I hope you'll enjoy this and perhaps other roleplays on Elliquiy as much as I have so far.
O&O

Paladin

Greetings all. I'm Paladin. I talked to Crowloft about playing and he said to introduce myself. I love Inquisitor in all its forms. I own and play the game and have ran an RPG using the IMQUISITOR mini's rules. I also own and play WH40K and Dark Heresy as well as owning the Esinhorn Trilogy. Just thought I'd say my piece. I'd like to play an Inquisitor or Maybe a Deathwatch Marine or Grey Knight on loan to whoever the inquisitor is. (Yes it has happened in the books.)

Jack Shade

You may refer to me as Shadey if it suites you...I've changed to my normal forum name anyways.

Still reading up on warhammer...suggestions as to equipment is welcome.

Are there any other notable rps people would suggest me join as well?

Maximillian Crowloft

Welcome Paladin, to our little group of Warhammer 40k enthusiasts. Even though some of us are new at the game and the universe, I believe we all find it highly interesting. Its good to see another player of the tabletop and the RP books, though I'd like to point out that we will not be using the actual rules of the game. No dice rolling, no complicated ranges and abilities. Everyone's actions will be posted and I as GM will resolve the outcome, of course, you can post that you safely walk down the stairs, though when the actual combat or diplomacy starts, I will make sure to handle the immediate reactions ensuring an interesting and exciting game without the hassle of learning many rules. This of course has its own pitfalls, though I've got many years of experience with freeform RP's such as these and I hope you will all enjoy it as much as I will.

Now moving on, Shadey, some suggestions on equipment. It is typical for an officer and in extension an Inquisitor to carry both a melee and a ranged weapon. This could range from a laspistol to a plasmapistol or a stormbolter, combined with a powersword, powerfist if you're wearing powerarmour or even a force weapon if you have access to very expensive weaponry.
To keep it simple, bolters have a wide range of ammunition which can be adapted to suit the situation. Fighting against armoured foes, many lightly armoured ones or even biological entities and deamons, there's a bolter round to suit everyone's needs. Not to mention the fact that shooting .75 caliber rounds will hurt regardless of the specialty rounds you put in, oh, they also explode. So a bolter is a safe choice for everyone able to pick one up and squeeze the trigger.
A powersword is capable of slicing through some of the toughest armours and has proven effective in melee combat since the middle ages. The added power component just makes it stronger, and thats exactly the kind of weapon a smart Inquisitor would use.
This combo might make you seem standard, though a Puritan Inquisitor would be proud to take the effective example of his predecessors, and fight as the Emperor taught.

Coming back to you Paladin, I just had to say that I love the idea of a Grey Knight with his own nemesis force weapon to accompany the Puritan Inquisitor, the boundry between the radical pro-warp Inquisitor would become that much greater, increasing the potential for many differences. Which will make the RP very interesting.

Again moving on, I've made some additions to the entry post, it now contains an extensive introduction to the campaign including some of the important characters. Feel free to look it up and get a feel for it. https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=29616.msg1113919#msg1113919
O&O

Kroduk

Got room for one more? I'm a Warhammer and 40K fanatic with a healthy lust...

for CARNAGE.  :D
Ons and Offs

How can I be lost,
If I've got nowhere to go?
Search for seas of gold
How come it's got so cold?
How can I be lost?
In remembrance I relive.
And how can I blame you
When it's me I can't forgive?

Maximillian Crowloft

If we're going to get both Inquisitorial groups to reasonable amount of characters and acolytes we will need more. You're welcome to join, though keep in mind, however gruesome the warhammer 40k universe is, it is not solely about carnage and destruction and death and killing ripping shooting mauling... Well, perhaps a little.
O&O

Kroduk

Yeah, I'm cool with that. That in mind, is there any role in particular that needs to be filled, or shall I just go nuts?
Ons and Offs

How can I be lost,
Search for seas of gold
How can I be lost?
In remembrance I relive.
And how can I blame you

Jack Shade

Quote from: Asmodeus on February 11, 2009, 02:09:37 PM
I'm sure Shadey will get approved.

I attacked a few members and threatened to put a cat in a blender, and they still approved me.  Shadey should be fine, as long as none of you are female.

And what's that supposed to mean....

o.O

dready

Quote from: Kroduk on February 11, 2009, 07:32:26 PM
Yeah, I'm cool with that. That in mind, is there any role in particular that needs to be filled, or shall I just go nuts?
*raises hand* same here, though minus the nuts part. >.>

Asmodeus

Quote from: Jack Shade on February 11, 2009, 09:43:36 PM
And what's that supposed to mean....

o.O

It means I have total faith in your ability to get approved, my friend.  ;)

Anyway Jack, I've got an advanced melee weapon and a sub-standard pistol.  If you have the reverse, it could be interesting.

Failing that, strap the Grey Knight onto your arm and wave him at anything that's not a demi-god.  You'll be fine. 

*lures Voichin to his side with Genestealer-Muffins*

Voichin

If I recall correctly grey knights would have problems with a horusian.

As for vostroyans - they don't but I'm still undecided. Anyways, thanks for the cookies.

ONs and OFFs

Maximillian Crowloft

A grey knight would stand against everything a Horusian is trying to acchieve. I meant for the grey knight to join the Thorian Inquisitor, it would make absolutely no sense for a grey knight to join the Horusian one indeed.

If you're undecided, just go with the one that has the least members.

Now while there are no specific rules that 'must' be fulfilled, it would greatly help to Inquisitors to have several types of henchmen availabe. The following is a citation from http://warhammer40k.wikia.com, though I'll post it to provide a quick help for those trying to create a character for the Inquisitorial retinues.

"Often experienced inquisitors or ones in need of specific services depending on ordo or the current situation at hand will have retinues of henchmen that he has deemed most useful. These retinues can be made up of a variety of individuals from Chirurgeon medics to lobotomised gun servitors carrying massive heavy weapons. The full list of known used henchmen is described below[2][4]:

* Acolytes - Interrogator/Explicator: An Inquisitor can take on apprentices and teach them everything they know so that they too can some day be full inquisitors like their master.

* Chirurgeons - Torturer/Excoriator/Sister Hospitalier: Members of the orders hospitalier or just those trained in torture and punishment, they can aid an Inquisitor in interrogating prisoners or healing wounds done to the Inquisitor in battle.

* Familiars - Cherubim/Servo-skull/Psyber-eagle: By far the strangest of henchmen, familiars boost the psychic prowess of Inquisitors and allow him greater initiative. (N.B.: In Inquisitor game terms, these would normally be considered as part of a character's equipment, not as a member of the warband.)

* Hierophant - Castigator/Ecclesiarchy Priest/Exorcist: Fiery members of the Ecclesiarchy, they boost the faith of the demonhunters they are in service to and chant exorcisms and prayers that can cause agony to nearby daemons.

* Mystics - Astropath/Warp-Seer/Sanctioned Psyker: Sanctioned psykers used by the Inquisition to detect the presence of daemonic creatures.

* Penitent - Bound Psyker/Penitent Witch/Pariah: When a Witch Hunter makes a heretic psyker repent his sins (a notably rare event), he could become what could be called a "psychic lightning rod", absorbing the psychic attacks of other heretic psykers and protecting the inquisitor and retinue in battle.

* Sages - Autosavant/Lexmechanic/Calculus Logi: Individuals whose mathematical skills are so keen that they can calculate firing angles and trajectories perfectly, increasing the chance for an Inquisitor's ranged weaponry of hitting its mark.

* Warrior - Imperial Guard Veteran/Combat-Servitor/Gun-Servitor /Crusader: They act as bodyguards and gunmen for inquisitors that serve their master in the direct, physical combat against the minions of Chaos.

* Untouchables - Untouchable: Inquisitors may also bring in an untouchable to counter detection from that of another psyker or a group of psykers. Normally an untouchable do little more than serve as a "tourist" that follows the inquisitor. Use of untouchables in the Inquisition was first introduced by Inquisitor Eisenhorn who, after finding an untouchable, helps form a distaff because of their usefulness against the many powerful psykers the Inquisition encounters. (This distaff was attacked and destroyed by the heretic Pontius Glaw, but untouchables were used after their underrated ability saved Inquisitor Eisenhorn many times. Some examples of untouchables prominent in the Warhammer galaxy include Wystan Frauka of Gideon Ravenor's retinue, and Jurgen, who was used among other reasons by Commisar Ciaphas Cain.) "

I hope this will give some ideas, and I will be able to provide more information if one of these themes cathes your interest. The radical, Horusian, Inquisitor would be the only one who would take any chaotic or warp creatures, so keep that in mind.

Something else I forgot to provide last time, a starmap.
http://www.joachim-adomeit.de/wh40k/spacemap/map.html
Now this map tries to follow canon, though is fanmade. Regardless it is helpful to know where exactly you are. The coordinates of the Calleras sytem (not shown on the map since I made it up) are x=2200 y=865
O&O

Kroduk

A gun-servitor sounds absolutely wonderful... except for the whole mindless aspect. Kinda puts a dent in playability. If Jack decides not to go with the Grey Knight I'm definately interested in that or a brother of some other chapter. Defering to him, though, since he was here first and, honestly, two marines? Overkill.

Second choice I guess would be Tech-guard, which is almost a gun servitor, but sadly restrained by at least a little humanity. Hoorah for bionics!
Ons and Offs

How can I be lost,
Search for seas of gold
How can I be lost?
In remembrance I relive.
And how can I blame you

HairyHeretic

Hope you guys don't mind me chiming in from time to time, but you might find this interesting

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=390

Its showing the new stuff coming for Dark Heresy this year, and some of it looks like it will fit your game nicely.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Maximillian Crowloft

I for one very much appreciate your ongoing help for our little project here. And indeed, most of these things fit like a glove.

Kroduk, you could always go for a Deathwatch specialist on the other side, having a grey knight on one team almost begs for a counterpart in the other. Even if it would take one hell of a Deathwatch member to best a fearsome grey knight. And the skitarii, the tech-guard, are also mindwiped through psychosurgery, though it should theoretically be possible to leave a Skitarii with emotions and reason if the process was not thorough enough.
O&O

Voichin

Maximillion, there is more than one way to skin a cat, you do not need to fight grey knights toe-to-toe.

Also a good idea for character is a member of adepta sororitas, since they sometimes share the same goal as the Inquisition and have a large variety of different orders.

For example, our Horusian inquisitor would greatly benefit from a sister dialogous.

ONs and OFFs

Maximillian Crowloft

True, but if you don't have a choice, its quite a bad situation if you don't have a warrior of the same calibre.

Aren't the sisters of battle members of the Ecclesiarchy? I doubt they would be keen on working together with an Horusian, though am not entirely sure about that.

And yes, a sister from the Dialogous order would be helpful, though her tasks would be limited to translating heretical texts, which might become a rather stale character. Adding something from the more militant orders, with simply experience in the field of translation would make for a very interesting character though.
O&O

dready

Quote from: Maximillion Crowloft on February 12, 2009, 04:11:39 PM
Aren't the sisters of battle members of the Ecclesiarchy? I doubt they would be keen on working together with an Horusian, though am not entirely sure about that.
depends on the chapter which said sisters of battle come from. the Ecc is the main but there's a large amount of secondary chapters who have initiates go along with higher ranking officials in a brother chapter of space marines. :3 sorta how medival paladins would follow a knight into battle like a squire but are there to protect instead of attack.

Maximillian Crowloft

Just reading up about it, I guess they could follow a Horusian as long as they didn't believe he wanted to replace the emperor. Humans who believe in the emperor as purely as the Adepta Sororita do should not follow a radical inquisitor in my eyes.

That said, a smart Radical Inquisitor wouldn't openly tell anyone he was thinking of replacing the Emperor with a new one built from the powers of chaos.

Also, dready, your avatar is almost annoyingly distracting. Almost, its just too cute.
O&O

dready

tis one reason to having it, the other is because it's so fuzzy. =^3^=

though would you allow a custom sisterhood initiate into the rp? i've got the beleifs and systems set up already (since i play with a small unit of them along with space marines in the table top game) and as long as they're not teamed up with a cowardly inquisitor (who she would view as anyone who relies on ranged combat) she'd be alright. :3

Maximillian Crowloft

Sure, having not entirely male retinues would make things more interesting, even if the sisters are less than... sensual. Though I wouldn't be surprised if there are those that start fantasizing about chaos and tentacles, and I won't restrain myself from letting characters who are naturally lecherous to have their way with you if you give them the opportunity. Though I don't expect that to happen really.

The ranged part might be a bit of a problem, though Inquisitor Vailon Chaarn with his lightning claw looks like a good option for now. It depends most on Shadey's character.

If you put up some information on her, it would be easier for me to decide though. Even though I'm expecting no troubles, perhaps it would help others to make their own characters.

Soon enough I'll be transforming the first post into a small dedicated area for reviewing, which will include the inquisitors and their retinues.
O&O

dready

alright, well i can put down her equipment for battles which are as follows:
[weaponry] Dual Melta-Pistols, Frag Grenades, Flak Grenades
[armor] Blessed Armor, Purity Seals, Atmospheric Jump Pack (codenamed 'Wings')

i sorta forgot what the jump packs are called. ^^; i'll put down the code-of-conduct later, can't find my army regiment book. D:

Maximillian Crowloft

Just jump packs I believe, though the Melta-pistols you talk about are probably Inferno-pistols, seeing as the first doesn't and the latter does exist. Looking through my copy of the Witch Hunters list, that was what I found.

Couldn't find the blessed armour, though if it is of the same calibre as a blessed weapon I'm afraid you'll have to remove that, after all, you'd be a henchmen, not a commander nor a saint.
O&O

consortium11

I believe melta-pistols do/did exist, although they're from the early days of 40k (like Rogue Trader early days) and went the way of the Squats and other concepts that got ret-conned out of the universe.

Maximillian Crowloft

After digging up some things I too found out that Melta-pistols existed, the fact that Seraphim squads don't have that option but instead the inferno pistol option, and the fact that the melta-pistol isn't in their wargear list put me off track.

So you can have dual melta-pistols if you really want to, though it might be wise to switch to plasma or inferno-pistols seeing as how the rules of Warhammer 40k went that direction as well.
O&O

Kroduk

*sigh* That's the problem with empires these days, no one wants to work together.

OOH! How about an Ogryn?
Ons and Offs

How can I be lost,
Search for seas of gold
How can I be lost?
In remembrance I relive.
And how can I blame you

Voichin

Ogryns have the intellectual capacity of a monkey. There was only one, who after implants and training was able to become a low-ranking officer, the rest are simple grunts.

Blessed armor is usually mentioned in the gear of various Sisterhood and Marine commanders.

ONs and OFFs

SomethingWycked

Posting as an official notice of interest... even though this is only my 2nd post on the forums and I still have almost the entire approval process to go through XD

I'll further note that this thread was the last thing I looked at before I decided to join E  ;D
Victory needs no explanation. Defeat allows none.

The Emperor protects... 66% of the time.

Asmodeus

If you want, Dready, Vailon can keep quiet about his ultimate objective.  I'm going to play him quite aloof.  He would thus appear to be a simple Warp expert who pops the odd psychogenic now and then.

*nudges a Genestealer Muffin towards Kroduk*

Join me and play a Daemonhost.  You've still got your marbles, but there's a gribbly in your body!

Okay, after finding the online rulebook, I've completed my character sheet properly (rather than relying on 10 year old half-remembered knowledge).  Feel free to remove anything that's too much, Max.  I wanted to emphasise his drug-taking and mind-fucking nature, so he's like a Shamanistic antagonist.  Also, I stress that he has only just achieved psychic awareness, so his powers are very mild.  In time he may aspire to Daemonic Powers, but it will take time.

Also, me and Shadey have agreed on a previous encounter where we met each other during the Kraken Wars.  I've included it in my background.  Let me know if it conflicts with anything.

Maximillian Crowloft

- Actually an Ogryn wouldn't be that bad of a choice. Yes they're stupid, but they know how to handle their weapons, and are big and tough. If nothing else, an Ogryn would simply serve as a wonderful bodyguard as its huge muscles instil a natural fear in lesser beings. Perfect to show anyone that this inquisitor and his retinue aren't to be messed with

The only problem would be that you have to play him stupid, and he wouldn't be smart enough to figure out tasks, though they are pretty good at simply following orders, taken that they are not too complex. And another bonus, he'd be pretty good at managing that carnage you were talking about.

- To return to the blessed armour, I've simply not found it in either the witchhunters, deamonhunters, Inquisitor book, or in any of my space marines codicii. And again, if it is of the same quality as blessed weapons, which the similarity in names would make me assume, then it will have to be downgraded.

- Glad to see more interested people Wycked, I hope you get approved soon. While you're still unapproved though, you could already work on a character. Was there someone/something you had in mind?

- Asmodeus, I like the background part about the previous encounter, it will increase the gap between the two inquisitors and make it rather impossible to cooperate. Which is why I like it.
You character looks good, some strong items, but nothing over the top. I had to look through the Inquisitor book to see what the wards did again and I have a comment that might improve your character. Right now you have your lightning claw on your bionic arm, which would make it somewhat stronger. Though a bionic arm is also a very handy defensive item, so you could think about switching weapon hands, to allow for defence with the autopistol hand, and retaliation with your lightning claw hand. Its a trade off, and even if you think its better, its always best to go with the idea of your character. If it doesn't fit him, don't do it. Thats my rule of thumb, regardless of how strong something is.
O&O

SomethingWycked

If there's going to be a Sororitas, I wouldn't mind being a Marine following the opposite Inquisitor, since there's a rivalry between the Adeptus Sororitas and the Adeptus Astartes so big that you can't include both in the same army list :P

Failing that I'd love to be a Scout, or third choice would be a Cleric from a shrine world or dead battle world.

Maximillian Crowloft

As it is looking now there will be the following retinues:

Radical Inquisitor + Adepta Sororita member

Puritan Inquisitor + Grey knight

Adding a space marine to the Puritan inquisitor to counter the sororita member would make the retinue rather boring. Multiple space marines don't make for a very interesting one. Though if you go for a specialist marine, like a heavy support or even a techmarine, it would spice things up a bit. So its not an option thats impossible. What might be best, is to decide which inquisitor you like best and discuss with him what kind of character he would like to have. Perhaps that will give you, and others, some good ideas.

Edit: I just found something I thought I should show to anyone who hasn't seen it before http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PEU_201IfI&feature=hd
Just to get in the mood.
O&O

Kroduk

*salutes sloppily* Yes, boss, sir!

Yeah, I like the Ogryn idea. I'm gonna go with that. Either Inquisitor have a particular desire for a Bone'ead, or shall I just pick a side?
Ons and Offs

How can I be lost,
Search for seas of gold
How can I be lost?
In remembrance I relive.
And how can I blame you

Asmodeus

I wouldn't mind having a big scary thing standing behind me when I talk to people.  My Inqusitor favours brutal shock tactics.  Plus when I'm off my head on drugs we can sit and dribble together.  :D

Regarding the use of Space Marines, I just read this:  http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1320038_Using_Space_Marines.pdf .  It makes you realise how much you lose when you play a Marine.  They can't sneak around, they can't make deals, they never retreat and they don't understand most human emotions.  Pretty boring for a roleplay character unless you're in the right situation.

Maximillian Crowloft

Luckily we won't be using the official rules, though we should stay as realistic as possible in this universe. So anyone playing a Space Marine or a grey knight would do good to keep to these guidelines, however, an Inquisitor who has a Space marine (or grey knight) on loan, could easily give the order to keep quiet, just like you would have to order an Ogryn not to charge the enemy right away.

It should be managable, and I'll make sure there are enemies even the space marines will have trouble with, or just enough of them to keep him occupied. After all, once the Inquisitor's dead, all is lost. He will have failed his mission and oath to protect and support the Inquisitor, beacon of justice, and will have no other option than to fight to the death or bring his corpse back.

There will be plenty of dangers, and enough things to worry about as a space marine. I would feel bad to just deny the possibility, far better to make the situations everyone encounters interesting for everyone.
O&O

SomethingWycked

Quote from: Asmodeus on February 13, 2009, 11:45:19 AM
I wouldn't mind having a big scary thing standing behind me when I talk to people.  My Inqusitor favours brutal shock tactics.  Plus when I'm off my head on drugs we can sit and dribble together.  :D

Regarding the use of Space Marines, I just read this:  http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1320038_Using_Space_Marines.pdf .  It makes you realise how much you lose when you play a Marine.  They can't sneak around, they can't make deals, they never retreat and they don't understand most human emotions.  Pretty boring for a roleplay character unless you're in the right situation.

Being a longtime player of and fan of marines, Asmodeus, I'd have to respectfully disagree- mostly. They entirely can sneak around. Look up Kayvaan Shrike, who not only is capable of hidden, guerilla type tactics, he prefers them. It really depends on the Chapter the Marine comes from. Some Chapters absolutely refuse to use stealth, viewing that as showing fear, hiding from the enemy. Others, like Shrike and his Raven Guard, thrive on stealth.

You're right that they can't make deals. They're the retribution of the Emperor given flesh and form, and they do not make deals with enemies of the Imperium, but that's part of why the Inquisitors love them- if the Inquisitor says "You're going to wait to destroy that heretic until we uncover the greater plot behind their madness", the Marine bows to his authority and waits, as the Inquisitor is secure in the knowledge that the Marine won't betray his authority or the Imperium's cause.

They do retreat. However, they do not generally feel fear. If a retreat is tactically advantageous, they do so orderly and without panic. It takes something on the order of a God for them to feel fear- and even then they'd usually grit their teeth and charge, hoping to die on their feet with a battlecry to the Emperor on their lips. In the new Codex for the Marine army list, they have a special rule called "Combat Tactics" which allows the Marine player to choose to fail Leadership & Morale checks- as the Marines on the table decide getting into cover would be an advantageous decision under heavy fire or other similar reason to fall back, its just never actual fear.

And they do understand human emotions. This one would be a bit harder to explain and display, but I highly recommend reading "The Ultramarines Omnibus" by Graham McNeill. I'll use an example from the first book in the omnibus... The Captain of the Ultramarines 4th Company, Uriel Ventris, investigates a planet attacked by Eldar raiders with an Inquisitor in tow. He finds one survivor, barely hanging onto life, delirious and speaking almost incoherently, but seemingly prophetically. The Inquisitor (who isn't present) would've wished Ventris to keep that man alive and bring him with them so he could be further questioned by the Inquisitor (you find this out later), but Ventris orders the man to be given the Emperor's Peace, at the man's request, and orders his Marines to find his wife's grave, so he can be buried with his woman.

And if that doesn't show a human capacity for feelings, I'm not sure what other example would :P

As for Max's suggestion, I'm not sure who both Inquisitors are... Asmodeus and...? I'd be totally happy to go with a heavy weapons type marine- thats honestly how I play my table top army, overloaded with heavy weapons- and since Scouts can use Heavy Bolters/Missile Launchers in the army list, I'll do that so there isn't a Sororitas, a Grey Knight, AND a Marine all wearing power armor.

Scouts would also have an easier time with noncombat necessities... stealth and recon is part of their training as a Scout, so donning regular clothes and walking amongst the populace is more right up their alley :P

Maximillian Crowloft

Not to mention the fact that scouts have not completed the gene seed implants and aren't as superhuman as a space marine is. They can not wear power armour, though they are already very resistant to fear, poison, and even damage to a degree.

A scout with a rocket launcher still feels funny to me though. I suggest a nicely varied set of weapons, with an underlying theme and love for the heavier ones. After all, taking out a single heretic running through a crowded square with naught but a rocket launcher can get messy. Though I'm sure you realised this, I'm just backing things up.
O&O

SomethingWycked

Quote from: Maximillion Crowloft on February 13, 2009, 07:58:18 PM
Not to mention the fact that scouts have not completed the gene seed implants and aren't as superhuman as a space marine is. They can not wear power armour, though they are already very resistant to fear, poison, and even damage to a degree.

A scout with a rocket launcher still feels funny to me though. I suggest a nicely varied set of weapons, with an underlying theme and love for the heavier ones. After all, taking out a single heretic running through a crowded square with naught but a rocket launcher can get messy. Though I'm sure you realised this, I'm just backing things up.

*Grin* Would it make you feel any better if I told you I don't have any Scouts modeled with rocket launchers? I much prefer the Heavy Bolter. But, of course, Scouts are adaptable, so a regular close combat weapon and bolt pistol or shotgun is happily carried when uber firepower isn't needed :P

Maximillian Crowloft

slightly better,

all you have to do now is make a 'character sheet'.

If you take a look at the first post, you'll find that I've listed the characters as they are developed so far with a small list of their traits and equipment.
O&O

Paladin

Voichin

Count me on thorian side. Tactics and boneheads don't go with each other. ;D

ONs and OFFs

Jack Shade

NAME:  Inquisitor Tyrius Malthus

SECT:  Thorian

APPEARANCE:   

EQUIPMENT: 
Power Sword
Mechandendrites (20)
MKII Bolter (Hellfire and Inferno rounds)
Bionic legs (advanced)
Biomancy (adept)

Armor:

Carapace armor
Targeting Helmet (measures distance and other range factors to a target.

Psychic powers:

Warpstrength, Regeneration, Blood boil, Hammerhand.

BACKGROUND:  Inquisitor Malthus spent most of his service to the Emperor fighting the monstrous aliens and desecrating their homes.  Part of the Ordo Xenos then, he was admired for his ability to fight on the field without use of restricting armor and the genius of his tactical precision, positioning ships and other units in exactly the right way to bring the utmost destruction at the minimal price.  But after decades of facing grotesque beasts beyond redemption or salvation, Tyrius began to harbor resentment of his position and aspirations of a greater calling.  The aliens like the Tyranids and Orks had the misfortune of being born in the unworthy skins they possessed…and thus never had a chance to truly serve the glory of mankind.  They were but the weeds choking the garden of mankind’s prosperity.  The only destiny of weeds was to be plucked and burned.  But what of those born human and yet rebellious in mind?  Truly it was they who were the greatest of transgressors, blessed with human form and mind yet squandering it on heretical ideals.  Thus Inquisitor Malthus took leave of the Ordo Xenos to join the Ordo Hereticus and bring his knowledge of tactics and battle against the heretics.  At age 74 he’s served the Ordo Hereticus for several years and already his methods of torture with the modified Mechandendrites has inspired other Inquisitors and Interrogators to bring similar pain upon their charges.  Malthus believes one day the soul of the emperor will be reborn and from that child will come a golden age unfathomable by any currently.  Truly then will the savages beyond the edges of space and those abominatons within will know the great error of transgressing against the true lords of the universe.  Truly then will the filthy heretics be silenced forever.  A wonderful age of peace and prosperity…a salvation for all mankind.  It certainly is a dream worth fighting for.

The unfortunate meeting of he and Inquisitor Vailon still plagues Tryrius's mind with self-doubt, rage, suspicion, and shame.  It was one of the few moments in time Tryrius had made such a grave error...and the disastrous consequences haunt his conscience each time he is reminded.  When Malthus can, he keeps tabs on Vailon and his movements...curious as to why the charismatic Inquisitor had pushed for a land assault so readily when all evidence called for an aerial bombardment...or from the few survivors who reported Vailon moved forward to deal with the Queen alone...

Voichin

You do not desecrate the home the aliens. You purge their blasphemous presence from the galaxy.

ONs and OFFs

Asmodeus

Quote from: Jack Shade on February 14, 2009, 03:50:56 AM
The aliens like the Tydrians and Orks had the misfortune of being born in the unworthy skins they possessed…

*Chuckles with the other fanboys while smoking a cigar*

Quote from: SomethingWycked on February 13, 2009, 07:45:05 PM
Being a longtime player of and fan of marines, Asmodeus, I'd have to respectfully blow your argument out of the water. They entirely can sneak around, and you suck for saying otherwise.

They do retreat, so I've got you there as well.

And they do understand human emotions. Only a retard would think otherwise.  I highly recommend you re-read "The Ultramarines Omnibus" by Graham McNeill, which you own and have read twice. You noob. 

-___-  Bah, he called my bluff.  He even quoted the book I read.  I was trying to put people off being Space Marines by pretending they were 2-dimensional.

Oh well, bring on the pain then.

*watches his Inquisitor receive a gang-beating from a Terminator Captain, Death Company Chaplain, Grey Knight and Primarch*

T_T

Paladin

HairyHeretic

Russ is about the only one who stands a chance or returning, given he's probably wandering round the Eye of Terror still at this point. I think the only other one still about is papa smurf, and he's sitting in a statis field with a fairly mortal wound (if I remember my fluff right)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Jack Shade

Quote from: Voichin on February 14, 2009, 04:10:05 AM
You do not desecrate the home the aliens. You purge their blasphemous presence from the galaxy.
One way of saying I take the war to them personally.

His specialty is in assaulting the hive worlds or completely infested planets.

Sorry to not be clear enough.

Maximillian Crowloft

QuoteYou do not desecrate the home the aliens. You purge their blasphemous presence from the galaxy.

I got the message, and for armour I suggest carapace armour. Effective, though still allows you more movement than power armour. Your picture almost looks like a tech-priest, and its not at all necessary for you to have psychic powers to be a good Inquisitor. You could focus more on machinery if you wanted to, add a servo-arm on your back and you're all set.

Adding to that, it has come to my attention that we now have two Inquisitors, both with two henchmen. Even though not all profiles are completely finished, it should at least take some introduction and work before a definite build would be required. If all players agree, we could already start. Which might serve as a good incentive for the others to finish up, so they can fully enjoy taking part.

Let me know what you all think.
O&O

Jack Shade

Heh...the Mechadendrites or whatever they're called are like nanobot tentacles arms coming out of the spine...a Servo arm in hte back might confuse things.

Biomancy just let my Inquisitor fight on near equal grounds with the aliens.

I'll add in the powers though.

Paladin

Maximillian Crowloft

This is it, the posting can commence.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=30500.msg1620446#msg1620446

Everyone who has not completed their character sheet should do so as soon as possible, as to avoid any misunderstandings. Furthermore, I hope everyone will enjoy this, and feel free to keep posting in this thread to bump it with random banter and important questions, so that other interested players can find our thread and join.

The more the merrier, and when we have enough Inquisitorial people, we could even try to find players for Heretics... If the situations become right.
O&O

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Maximillion Crowloft on February 14, 2009, 05:56:04 PM
The more the merrier, and when we have enough Inquisitorial people, we could even try to find players for Heretics... If the situations become right.

Death to the False Emperor!

The Long War continues.

;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 14, 2009, 06:18:59 PM
Death to the False Emperor!

The Long War continues.

;D

THrow that Airdale out... Or better yet Burn him at the stake. ;)

HairyHeretic

For ten thousand years I have fought the Long War.

I slew your heros on a score of worlds, men whose stature dwarfs your own. You have no heros worthy of that accolade any longer. You are nothing but shadows of those who were.

I have heard death threats by the hundred. Where are those who made them? Dust. Not even their memories remain.

And here I stand, with my hate to keep me strong.

Ave Dominus Nox.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Maximillian Crowloft

Impressive, though assuming from your name you must have one odd demonic mutation, mr. Hairy Heretic ;)
O&O

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Maximillion Crowloft on February 14, 2009, 07:48:15 PM
Impressive, though assuming from your name you must have one odd demonic mutation, mr. Hairy Heretic ;)

Meh .. you forget to shave for a century or two, and everyone's on your case.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

SomethingWycked

Quote from: Asmodeus on February 14, 2009, 06:43:20 AM
-___-  Bah, he called my bluff.  He even quoted the book I read.  I was trying to put people off being Space Marines by pretending they were 2-dimensional.

Oh well, bring on the pain then.

*watches his Inquisitor receive a gang-beating from a Terminator Captain, Death Company Chaplain, Grey Knight and Primarch*

He's only a Scout ;) And at least I'm not asking to play one of the new Sternguard Veterans with all their special types of ammunition ;) Last time I played a tabletop game, I drop pod'ed a full unit of Sternguards in behind an Eldar Pathfinder squad (who don't get armor saves, but get awesome cover saves) and rapid fired one of the new ammunition types that ignores cover saves into their ranks... not a one survived. He was so mad, Pathfinders are expensive XD

And who says I'm going to work for the other inquisitor? I just thought it would be easier to not be on the same side as the Sororitas since there's guaranteed friction there, but that friction could be absolutely interesting. You would, of course, have to completely hide the politics of your Inquisitor from the Scout, though, as he'd be very upset to find out the man he's working for is a "heretic" in his eyes  ;)

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 14, 2009, 11:14:36 AM
Russ is about the only one who stands a chance or returning, given he's probably wandering round the Eye of Terror still at this point. I think the only other one still about is papa smurf, and he's sitting in a statis field with a fairly mortal wound (if I remember my fluff right)

Corax walked into the Eye of Terror as well, but he's (obviously) never been heard from again. And you're right about Guilliman, in a stasis field with a mortal wound. Though the faithful swear they can see the wound slowly closing, and that he will rise again ;)

Character write-up inbound! But I'm not certain as to which faction I -should- play on. I know that, given all the knowledge I have, my Scout would prefer the Puritan Inquisitor for his politics, but Inquisitors aren't known for being up front and honest with their minions. I'm going to leave his affiliation open for now, for input from players and GM.

Maximillian Crowloft

QuoteMeh .. you forget to shave for a century or two, and everyone's on your case.

Not to mention the reception to get at parties when you've forgotten to brush your teeth for about fifty years.

Looking at the Thorian/Puritan Inquisitor's retinue, I think you might have to go for the Radical one. Seeing as a Grey Knight and a Space Marine scout would far outweigh the current Radical's team, and turning the tables might be a good thing to do. And fascination with Chaos can always be explained away by saying that he's just trying to know his enemy.
O&O

SomethingWycked

PLAYER:
The Newly Approved SW! *Shines up his new green badge*

NAME:
Dardanos Megaero

Neophyte
Scout, Raven Guard Chapter
Member of Inquisitor's Retinue

WEAPONS:
Bolt pistol
Sword
Shotgun
Heavy bolter (stored)
Sniper rifle (stored)
Frag & Krak grenades (stored)

ARMOUR:
Scout armor (which is Carapace, but a bit more specialized)
Guard Carapace armor (for when he needs to look like a normal military man, instead of a Neophyte)

MODS:
List here. Changes are:
Phase 13: Raven Guard's Melanochrome has mutated- it no longer allows them to darken their skin when necessary. It makes their skin pale white, and darkens their hair and eyes to coal black.
Phases 16 and 17: Are not present in Raven Guard.
Phase 19: Not applied to this character, as he is still a Scout.

ITEMS:
Auspex
Handheld vox & headset

PSYCHIC POWERS:
"zomg its one of the Emperor's Angels of Death!"

BACKGROUND:
A native of the Raven Guard's home 'planet' Deliverance (actually a moon orbiting the planet Kiavahr), all Dardanos had to do as a boy was look up at the Ravenspire, the Chapter fortress, to know what he wanted to do with his life. Not for him the dirty toil in the mines under the moon's surface like his parents- who both had been maimed in accidents while working. It was a source of fierce pride for families to have their children accepted as candidates for testing with the Chapter, and when Dardanos was taken, it was no exception. He wasn't very exceptional when compared to the other Aspirants physically, but one by one they dropped out for various reasons- mostly they gave up, though some had psychological weakness, and many who were tested did not have the proper genetic make up to accept the Chapter's gene-seed. Dardanos persevered simply due to his unwillingness to give up, to not be broken- and a little bit of luck that he was compatible with the needs of the Chapter.

The years following the rigorous testing consist entirely of rigorous training, instruction, and devotion to the Emperor and Primarch, with occasional, very short, rest periods for healing of injuries or adjusting to implanted organs.

Dardanos has only graduated from Aspirant to Neophyte fairly recently, and while he has been in action with his Chapter, there wasn't an exceptional amount of combat. The Veteran Sergeant that Dardanos had been placed in the care and tutelage of was a master of stealth, and avoided contact with the enemy masterfully while gathering tactical information for the main strike force- as well as being a demon when required to come to grips with the enemy.

Standing out as one of the Neophytes with the most promise in his Sergeant's eyes, when the Inquisitor came knocking on the Raven Guard's door for an addition to his retinue, it was Dardanos who was selected, given a chance to serve the Imperium outside the confines of the Chapter's military organization.

Except these guys are painted as Dark Angels... Imagine the same build/gear, but colors are more black/white/grey

Maximillian Crowloft

Looks pretty good, all you have to do is choose to which retinue you will belong. Both options are possible, though for balancing issues I suggest the Radical Inquisitor's side.

Your heavy bolter is no problem, the minute you take it with you everyone will know what you're planning, so even your enemies will have time to prepare, neatly balancing the possible firepower issues.
O&O

dready

i always forget which one is the updated version, so i'm alright with Inferno pistols. ^^ and blessed armor is the same as the holy halo thing that HQ units can obtain for 15 or 30 points, depending on which kind yah get. i'd want the roll 6 Invulnerable save since the older version of the 'sisters had that as an Initiate Escort's only form of armor that she'd be allowed to wear. Basically, they need to keep moving to not be hit, and if they are hit there's a rare chance that it'll be brushed off. :3

so Dual Inferno Pistols, Jump Pack (Assault only, so no atmospheric jumps), and the Divine Halo (weak powered, rarely protects)

Voichin

ONs and OFFs

dready

Quote from: Voichin on February 15, 2009, 04:52:44 PM
Wasn't that called iron halo?
DX i haven't played in so long i keep thinking of the wrong things. thanks V.

HairyHeretic

Mechanically an Iron Halo is a 4+ inv save. Hang on, I'll check my Witchhunters dex and see what the sisters inv wargear piece was.

Edit - Bionics for a 6+ inv save, Rosarius for a 4+ inv. Rosarius would probably be hero class wargear, bionics could go to squad leaders.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

dready

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 15, 2009, 05:29:25 PM
Mechanically an Iron Halo is a 4+ inv save. Hang on, I'll check my Witchhunters dex and see what the sisters inv wargear piece was.
i thought that there were two. O-o i knew one was the 50/50 chance, but that would be kinda overpowered.

HairyHeretic

Since you're going somewhat freeform, there's no reason you can't take older gear, like the conversion field or displacer field, which were about 5+ saves, IIRC. Conversion field turned the shot into a flash of light, displacer was a short range teleport.

There was an amusing idea on the mailing lists years ago, about taking 3 chaplains and giving them conversion fields, flying them in a thunderhawk over a battlefield against the likes of orks or bugs and tossing them out. Because the area of the flash of light was proportional to the strength of the impact on the field, tossing the chaplian out just suborbital should produce a flash large enough to blind the entire opposing army  ;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

dready

oooh. a displacer feild would work better that way then, since she'd be already rather noticable in the battlezone with her inferno pistols. :3

Voichin

Dready. If you already burn, some flashing here and there won't be a big change. You can't be even more noticeable :)

ONs and OFFs

dready

true, but i also want to be able to avoid danger as well, since even though it turns attacks into flashes of light how cool would it be if we were attacked and then teleporting before countering. :3

Paladin

HairyHeretic

Quote from: dready on February 15, 2009, 06:17:31 PM
true, but i also want to be able to avoid danger as well, since even though it turns attacks into flashes of light how cool would it be if we were attacked and then teleporting before countering. :3

Its a teleport in a random direction though. Its not necessarily a good thing.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 15, 2009, 06:57:19 PM

If you guys are going to go with that stuff I'd look in Dark Heresy for actual RP rules of the Items.

dready

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 15, 2009, 06:57:19 PM
good point, but i like the fact that i'd rather be out of firing than still in the midst of it. :3

SomethingWycked

Quote from: Maximillion Crowloft on February 15, 2009, 08:31:02 AM
Looks pretty good, all you have to do is choose to which retinue you will belong. Both options are possible, though for balancing issues I suggest the Radical Inquisitor's side.

I do enjoy balance. Radical retinue it is :P

Also... for any who are interested... What Marines do with their time. Somewhat off topic... but I've always enjoyed it. :D

dready

second event of the day is kewl. 'awards and punishments are handed out by consistently good or bad accuracy.'

Jack Shade

I realize I never asked...what kind of Heretics are we dealing with?

Asmodeus

Chaos worshippers I reckon.

They wantz the precious forge world!  >:(

And Khamaron's got something to do with it.  *smokes his detective pipe*

Okay, so I've "deployed" my army.  The Ogryn's intimidating the guards and dragging out the heretic's body.  The Battle Sister is guarding Vailon.  And the Scout has commandered the armoury.  Hope none of you mind me placing you like this.

Max, was the plot point okay?

Kroduk

Heh, I'm Ogryn, I'm not intelligent enough to mind doing things like that :D
Ons and Offs

How can I be lost,
Search for seas of gold
How can I be lost?
In remembrance I relive.
And how can I blame you

Maximillian Crowloft

Plot point was fine, fits neatly into what I was doing. After all, I had begun with many small outbreaks of heretics in the section, this is simply one of their more daring plans.

It doesn't mean however, that you've got a clue leading to whats truly important out here. And after setting the scene up, I hope you will refrain from using other people's characters. For such an introduction its not dreadful, but after this, let them play themselves.

I'll be tying this into the story today, giving everyone options, both spoken and upspoken, to get this show on the road.
O&O

Asmodeus

Quote from: Maximillion Crowloft on February 16, 2009, 12:41:14 PMits not dreadful

*calls his mother*

ASMO:  I did good, Mama.  I did you proud!

ASMO'S MOTHER:  Stop hijacking my character!

ASMO:   :(

Maximillian Crowloft

hah, don't worry about it, I only meant the character hijacking with it, you did basically took over your entire team. The biggest problem with that is that they have nothing to post about until you do something new. No personal investigations anymore, since you did their actions and gave the results. So that should surely stop from here on, otherwise though I liked the post.

Gave off a nice aura for the Inquisitor and how he handles these things.
O&O

Asmodeus

Well, I was thinking most characters don't do much in the first posts except establish their thoughts and motives.  I thought given them a few actions to do while they present themselves could be helpful.

So the Ogryn will be dragging off the corpse.  The Battle Sister will be contemplating her heretic kill and maybe cleaning her boltgun.  And the Scout will be checking the armoury and maybe telling the guards to back down.  I thought it might give some springboards to people.

Sorry, I'm used to GMing for players who get paralyzed by inaction.  I have to nudge them around all the time. 

I'll restrain myself.  :)

Maximillian Crowloft

Thats good, if there is any inaction threatening to break down on the posting, other than people not posting at all like right now, I'll be sure to dump some heretics on you in an unorderly fashion. Nothing like a good firefight to get things going again.

Oh, and something you should all realise, you will very likely get hurt. Just because I tell you you get shot in your arm resulting in a large fraction of the lower bonestructure, doesn't mean you're dead. It just means you've got to work with having one arm.

Hope everyone understands this, Warhammer 40k is not a universe where you will be able to adventure without getting hurt.
O&O

Asmodeus

dready

i believe whichever tense you type into as long as it's the same tense per paragraph. ^-^

Kroduk

Ons and Offs

How can I be lost,
Search for seas of gold
How can I be lost?
In remembrance I relive.
And how can I blame you

Asmodeus

Dunno... there's probably a morgue or a medical bay somewhere.

Or you could shove it out an airlock.

Maximillian Crowloft

As of just now, Asmodeus has left our group.

A personal difference in opinion between me and him about posting styles could not be resolved, and to prevent further damage he will stop playing the Inquisitor.

The difference in case was character hijacking; He found it essential for writing a good story, I found that it takes the fun out of playing your own character and reacting to the different actions of other characters.

Regardless, there is no need for a verdict on the matter. This is simply a post to yell that we need a new Inquisitor.

Anyone interested in the position can PM me or post in this thread, both are viewed by me regularly.

Furthermore, this is a yell in the dark to Jack Shade, who has not posted or replied to my PM's for a couple of days. Are you still out there Jack? I wanted to know if you still wished to play your own Inquisitor now that Asmodeus has left?

If both Inquisitors leave however, it might be wise to simply resume with the accolytes, turning this into a more Dark Heresy type game. Where the Inquisitor sends his trusty henchmen to do his bidding, and cleanse the world of the evil that is chaos.

Thats all for now, I hope this can be resolved with as little as possible damage for the RP as it is now.
O&O

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Maximillian Crowloft

Thanks for the funny comic, reminds me of Giant in the playground's: "Order of the stick" but in 40k, and that's never bad.

Unfortunately though, due to the fact that Asmodeus and Jack shade were friends and were kinda in this together, both our Inquisitors will pull out of the RP.

I'm perfectly able to substitute one of them on my own, though when I take both of them under my care I'm simply dictating every turn the story will take, and that would make it very linear.

I hope we will be able to find two replacement Inquisitors, and people who already have a character and are able to play two of them, are welcome to offer to take an Inquisitor under their hood. Perhaps you for the Puritan, Paladin? I heard you were good at that, and we're somewhat in a pinch right now.

Because Shadey never posted though, we can easily change the Puritan Inquisitor's equipment, style, name. Though I do think it should be a Puritan, possibly even Thorian, because of the lovely combination of both wishing a new Emperor for mankind.
O&O

Paladin

I would be happy to Take the Position and play two characters. Good Inquisitor ofcourse.

Maximillian Crowloft

And so I rule, Paladin takes the role of the Puritan Inquisitor.

And unless someone wishes to take over Vailon, I will do so, providing the retinue with enough to do, and a good force to collide with Paladin's Inquisitor.
The fact that I will play Vailon for now does not mean however, that someone can not step up and ask if they can take him from me. I've got plenty of heretics to play besides him.
O&O

dready

Jack Shade

I apologize...I meant to drop in sooner and explain but I've been pinned down by projects.  The professors have designated this week as hell week...and I bet it will carry over to the next week to.

I have to cut this roleplay in favor of my homework and grades...I apologies for letting you all down.

Maximillian Crowloft

Everyone rest assured, we're still good to go. Any people out there who wish to join may now join a retinue, assassins are under-represented in this particular RP, so if you're up for it, feel free to PM me or join this thread and introduce yourself.
O&O