Sooo Anyone Know About Business Degrees?

Started by Hatchet, September 13, 2017, 11:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatchet

:I The thing on the top said 'academic' so Imma post this in here.

The thing is...I've been looking at my life all wrong...I wanted to be a science teacher but I just wasn't passionate about it...Mostly I just told people that because it made me feel good about myself. But the harsh reality of it is you have to be really good at math and physics to do well and...I'm terrible at them...

So instead of looking for a career because lets face it, most of us just are doing a job rather than a career. Both of my parents are in business and the program I'm looking for right now at my community college is "BUSINESS MANAGEMENT AND SUPERVISION"

http://www.suscc.edu/skins/userfiles/files/14-15_Catalog_pp_100-101.pdf

I've worked at grocery stories and restaurants since I could work. I'm comfortable there and though I'm not super passionate, I'm comfortable with the environment. So there's a lot of business classes on there. Can anyone tell me what taking a business class(es) are like? A lot of people at my school are going into business and I want the actual AAS degree incase I want to actually go for a bachelor.

For someone that doesn't care for math very much, do you think it's at least sort of possible to do this? I wouldn't mind getting hired at places as a supervisor/manager at a store or something.

| Rainbow Writer ~ Lover of Eros ~ New Writer Friendly |

Endorphin

I know a bit about this subject. I have a Bachelor of Business and would be happy to provide you with any advice you need.

A course like this is designed to broadly cover the operations of a typical business and provide you with an understanding of the main processes and functions involved. The intention is to better equip you with the skills and knowledge needed to manage and/or operate a small-to-medium business and you get a bit of everything a typical manager might be expected to deal with. So, you can expect a pretty even split between theory, group work, presentations and case studies and also drilling down into the operational details.

Unless you are able to focus on something like Marketing, Management, Communications, Human Resources or similar subjects, you had best be prepared for math because, let's face it, most businesses exist for profit and have an intrinsic need to deal with finances, accounting, profit/loss and also tax. Even not-for-profit organizations still need to deal with this, so this will be a focus.

Just looking at the names of your subjects, you can tell they are likely to have a heavy math focus -  Intermediate College Algebra, Mathematics of Finance, Principles of Accounting I, Principles of Accounting II, Business Statistics I, Managerial Accounting. Personal Finance is likely to be quite friendly but even that will have a fair amount of math. Many will find the content of the IT and Legal subjects will also be pretty dry.

More than anything, a business qualification demonstrates to prospective employers that you have an interest and willingness to learn and develop you skills and that you are more likely than most to have a practical understanding of the needs and challenges of a business. It does look good on résumé or CV.

I hope this helps.
"The imagination is the spur of delights... all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" - Marquis de Sade

RedRose

What Endorphin says.

And if you go for Human Resources, make sure you can handle it. BTDT.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

NightLux

Quote from: Hatchet on September 13, 2017, 11:17:27 PM
The thing is...I've been looking at my life all wrong...I wanted to be a science teacher but I just wasn't passionate about it...Mostly I just told people that because it made me feel good about myself. But the harsh reality of it is you have to be really good at math and physics to do well and...I'm terrible at them...

Before I go into the rest of the post, I just want to say maybe instead of being a science teacher you could instead just focus on being a teacher?  Maybe English, given that Elliquiy tends to push reading and writing skills?  Might be a thought...

QuoteI've worked at grocery stories and restaurants since I could work. I'm comfortable there and though I'm not super passionate, I'm comfortable with the environment. So there's a lot of business classes on there. Can anyone tell me what taking a business class(es) are like? A lot of people at my school are going into business and I want the actual AAS degree incase I want to actually go for a bachelor.

Business classes are going to vary quite a bit based on the exact topic, but generally you'll be looking at how businesses operate, both on a personnel and IT level, how they make decisions (finance, marketing), how they measure success (accounting, management, stats) and those sorts of things.  It'll be a lot of case studies and discussion, but there will be some math as well.

For someone that doesn't care for math very much, do you think it's at least sort of possible to do this? I wouldn't mind getting hired at places as a supervisor/manager at a store or something.

If you're goal is to be in the store itself, then the furthest I'd go is an associates.  If your goal is to get into the back office (accounting, finance, marketing, etc, with little to no customer interaction) then this is definitely the route to take.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
RP Status: Seeking new partners
RL Status: Looking forward to my birthday!
Solo Status: 0 (due) / 3 (total)
In Development: 0
Group Due: 0 (due) / 0 (total)
[/td][/tr][/table]

Anouk Daae

I have a Business Degree that came with my Culinary one, so it might not be the same as a straight up B&M.

What I can tell you is from my experience that even with a degree in business, if you go into restaurant management - it can be harder to be respected by your employees if you just go into it thinking "I have a degree, therefore I deserve to be placed higher up the ladder than my peers." No degree can compare to real work experience. Unfortunately, if you want to be successful in an industry, you'll need both.

I will say though, that if you don't care much for math - that isn't going to be much of a problem. Most places you'll work at have sheets where you just plug in the formula once, then plug in the numbers, and the computer will do it all for you. And for that, you really only need an AA.