L5R 4th edition Interest Check for A time of Troubles campaign.

Started by Marie Reynolds, September 14, 2014, 11:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marie Reynolds

Yep I have been having this on the back burner for to long not to run! Fire works well can't go wrong with a damage focused caster.

Muse

Ossum.  :) 

Going to go for the Tessen school guy.  He's a nice guy, a hero at heart and dedicated to the Tessen ideals--but rather lecherous... 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Rel Mayer

Pumpkin Seeds

Hotaru Character Picture

Hotaru Character Sheet
Name: Hotaru                                                                                             
Clan: Ronin
School: Self-Taught                                                                                                Honor: 4.0
Rank: 1                                                                                                                 Glory: 1
Expierence Points:                                                                                                  Status: 0
Insight:                                                                                                                 Shadowlands Taint: 0

Air 2                                                                                                                      Advantages
  Reflexes- 2                                                                                                              Friendly Kami (Fire) - 5
  Awareness- 2                                                                                                            Blood of Osano-Wo - 4

Earth 2                                                                                                                  Disadvantages
  Stamina- 2                                                                                                             Social Disadvantage (Ronin) - 3
  Willpower- 3                                                                                                           Infamous - 2
                                                                                                                               Touch of the Void - 3
Fire 3                                                                                                                         Elemental Imbalance (Fire) - 2
  Agility- 3
  Intelligence- 3

Water 2
  Strength- 2
  Perception- 2

Void - 2

Skills
  Athletics 1
  Hunting 1
  Meditation 1
  Spellcraft 3
  Intimidation 2
  Sleight of Hand 2
  Kenjutsu 3
  Craft (Weaponsmith) 1
  Lore: Elements

Technique - The Kami's Gift
Those who are self-taught possess an affinity for the kami that many among the clans would envy.
When you spend a Void Point on a spell casting roll, you add +2k2 instead of +1k1.
Affinity: Fire
Deficiency: Water/Air

Spells
Sense
Commune
Summon
Warning Light
Armor of Earth
Earth's Touch
Katana of Fire
The Fires from Within

Hotaru's Questions
1. What clan does your character belong to?
No clan would have me and I want none besides.  Let them have their petty squabbles and call them honorable wars.  When my life is over death shall be for a reason I understand and not decided in some noble man’s court.

2. What family does your character belong to?
My grandfather spoke of our family heritage often.  He spoke of our blood being drawn from the blood of Dragon and kami.  I do not know how much truth he spoke and how much legend he imagined.  Still the fire speak to me as they don’t many others.  My blood sings to me during the storms that rage in the Heavens and I have never known what it’s like to be burned.

3. Is your character a bushi, a shugenja, or a courtier?
The spirits speak to me and I listen.  Sometimes I mediate for the common man, intercede so that both fire and man can live as intended.  Other times I command the fires to burn and destroy, to bring about the destruction of my enemies as I find them.

4. How would others describe your character's appearance?
Every character should have a rough description in order to give him some sort of life when describing him to others. What is the character's most striking feature? Does his mood come through his appearance or is he inscrutable? Does he make others feel at ease, or make them uncomfortable?

5. What is your character's primary motivation?
Though all samurai are, in theory, solely devoted to fulfilling the wishes of their lord, most have their own goals as well. Some may be simple, such as maintaining the honor of your ancestors, while others may revolve around the recovery of a lost heirloom or the avenging of a slight to your family's honor.

6. Who is the person your character trusts most in the world?
characters should have some developed background in order to facilitate role-playing. This question not only includes the individual's identity, but how that person met the character, why they are so close, and other similar questions.

7. What is your character's greatest strength and weakness?
Strengths are what others see as respectable or admirable in the character, while weaknesses are what he would struggle to hide from others, lest they look down upon him for his failures. What does the character regard as his strengths and weaknesses, and how does this differ from his actual abilities?

8. What does your character think of Bushido?
Although all samurai pay homage to the code, most Clans and families revere certain tenets over others. Which does the character consider the most important and which does he consider inconsequential? Do his views differ from those of his Clan?

9. What is your character's opinion of his clan?
Of course all samurai are loyal and devoted servants of his Clan, but that does not mean they do not have their own opinions. Is the character a martial vassal of a pacifistic Clan? Or is he a pacifist in a society of warriors? does he disagree with the Clan's current enmities and alliances?

10. Is your character married?
Marriage is a very important institution in the Empire of Rokugan. A samurai's spouse is responsible for managing the estate, and actually wields considerable political power depending upon the size of their holdings. Was the character's marriage arranged, or is he or she still betrothed? Is it someone the samurai has actually met, or a complete stranger? Is there a case of true love that will interfere with the wedding, or will the samurai embrace duty over the wants of the heart?

11. Does your character have any prejudices?
Most Clans are negatively predisposed against at least one other Clan, most often as a result of conflicts that have endured for decades or even centuries. Is the character one who readily subscribes to these prejudices or has he developed his own dislikes of other Clans, even allied Clans, based on his own experiences?

12. To whom does your character owe the most loyalty?
The simplest answer to this question would of course be "The Emperor," but very few samurai have the honor to serve the Son of Heaven directly, instead serving someone in a long chain of authority that could include the Emerald Champion, the Clan Champions, the family daimyo, the provincial governors, or even the local magistrate. Whom does the character serve immediately, and is that person the one to whom he is the most loyal?

13. What are your character's favorite and least favorite things?
This could address a wide variety of responses, including material possessions, activities, locations, or almost anything else that could spring to mind. Why does the character revere these things? What significance do they have to his history?

14. Does your character have any recurring mannerisms?
Since everyone tends to act according to the same protocol and etiquette, minor and inoffensive details of behavior tend to get noticed more frequently. Does the character chew his lip when he is nervous? Perhaps he has a unique greeting that he prefers to use. What does he do with his hands when nothing is going on?

15. What about your character's emotions?
A true samurai is not supposed to show emotion, but no one is completely disciplined at all times, and everyone demonstrates some degree of emotion at one point or another. What emotion is the character most likely to display when the circumstances arise? What are the things that push him to the edge most easily, and which emotions are easiest for him to hold in check?

16. How would your character handle a subordinate's improper behavior?
The actions of a subordinate reflect the honor of his superior, and in such cases a superior has a considerable amount of leeway in dealing with a subordinate. Is the character the sort to demand the subordinate's seppuku over even a minor infraction (something that could get the character into significant trouble very quickly), or will he forgive the behavior and attempt to correct it?

17. How would your character's parents describe him?
Devotion to one's parents is considered proper behavior for any samurai, but devotion can be offered without any real respect between a parent and child. Does the character have a proper relationship with his parents or are they estranged? Was the character's upbringing a source of joy or dismay for his parents? Are they still alive, or were they taken from the character at a younger age?

18. What is your character's highest ambition?
Desire is a sin, but ambition tempered by duty is considered acceptable among most in the samurai caste. Bushi often aspire to become military leaders, for example, while courtiers desire nothing more than to rule over others at influential courts. What is the character's ultimate goal and, perhaps more importantly, how far is he willing to go in order to accomplish it?

19. How religious is your character?
Among bushi and courtiers, levels of religious devotion vary widely. Shugenja are of course religious, but even among their ranks some are more reverent than others. Is the character one to offer frequent prayers and make trips to the temple, or has he dismissed the need for religion and instead embraced the rule of steel in his life?

20. How will your character die?
This is a very important and intimidating question, but one that should be given consideration. Every samurai lives a few short feet from death, and death is a threat that can rear its head on any day of a samurai's entire life. What is the character's destiny? How will he meet his end when the time comes for him to join his ancestors, or to rejoin the universe as part of the Celestial Wheel?

Chulanowa

Woof, sorry for the lag, work has not been kind to my brain  :-( I'm gonna have to go over the books and basically re-learn the system for making a character, too. Uff da

Marie Reynolds

Muse

Clan:         Lion Ronin
Family:      Ikoma
School:      Tessen

Height:      5’10”
Weight:      180lbs
Measures:      Medium build with dense muscles. 
Skin:         Fair, and golden with sensual lips. 
Hair:         Hip length chocolate brown ponytail with russet highlights. 
Eyes:      Liquid black
Style:      Blue kimono and black hakima. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Pumpkin Seeds

Slowly piecing her together.  How is everyone else coming along?

Tackyhillbilly

Would a Wasp Bounty Hunter be welcome? His Bounty has fled into the Shadowlands, and he will chase him/her to the ends of the earth.

Marie Reynolds

This game would be going in the opposite of the direction of the Shadowlands. The ronin army would be going after a Gaijin fleet. Now you could be a Tsuruchi bounty hunter  cause the Wasp clan has been absorbed by the Mantis Clan. But since it would be  a Major clan You would have to do it by taking the Musha Shugyo ritual and under going that rite you can be excused from your duty and go on a journey as a ronin to find  some new purpose or new direction i life It is a respected and time honored tradition or feel driven to fight the Gaijin invaders  the purpose you under go the rite is to continue hunting a Member of the Spider Clan as your bounty cause a Spider clan ship will be guiding the Gaijin Fleet into Rokugani waters.

Tackyhillbilly

My bad, I misread the intro. And yeah, that sounds like it would work fine. I'll start putting him together.

Marie Reynolds

Also you would  use the Clan ronin option for character creation. In case you were wondering and that is on Pg 234 of the 4th edition core book.

Muse

I can defiantly fill in more story details, but i'm basically good to go.  :)

Marie Reynolds

Marie Reynolds

How is everyone  doing with characters and does anyone need any assistance from me?

Pumpkin Seeds

Will there be social conflict as well as physical, or should the characters be primarily martial aspected?

Marie Reynolds

There will be opportunities for both especially with leadership chances as well and Martial aspect will still be important as this will be war time.I hope this answers your question.

Chulanowa

I haven't really been able to pull a solid character idea together. It's been a long time - last I played was out of my 1st edition book! When it came out! I traded the ancestral sword of the dragon for it!  ;D  My brain keeps wandering back to the clans

Pumpkin Seeds

Why not use that and design an actual Clan character that is doing that..honor thing?

Marie Reynolds

Well I am sure I can help you  figure something out maybe one of the honorable ronin bands might strike your fancy.

Chulanowa

Well, how does advancement work for a character on Musha Shugyo? Do they just stick with hte one level 1 technique, or what goes on there? Also, th whole idea seems really Bushi-centrip. I guess "going out ot seek enlightenment" works perfectly well for a Shugenja was well...

also, are the 25 EXP in addition to, or a replacement of, the 40 used at character creation as normal?

Marie Reynolds

Well if you are on Musha Shugyo You would have to seek out ronin  schools  to join when you gain in insight rank.Shugenja and even Courtier's will be essential as well cause their is much to support a war especially since the enemy will have shugenja as well as artillery.Courtier's maybe leaders spokesmen/women  of their respective benevolent ronin bands. The 25 is in addition to the 40 and whatever ronin creation you go with.

Cessali

So this looks interesting and I have a character: a proper Clan Ronin, formerly of the Lion before... things happened.

Thoughts?/questions?/hi everyone else!

Before the Gaijin arrived...

Even as a child, the samurai who would become Matsu Katanogu, out of Hotaka by Yugei, was remarked on for his unusual balance.  His few passions, for all their strength, ran cold as winter.  His aggression was unleashed only as duty demanded, and though Katanogu was an excellent soldier with a keen sense of where to be and to win fights, his increasing absence of interest in anything beyond the most basic fulfillment of his responsibilities became a worry for his family and for his lord as he grew into position and authority.

Consultations with sensei and superiors bore no fruit as to the source of his indifference; his answers to questions posed were technically correct, if lacking in spirit. It was not until one of the Kitsu was consulted, and nearly left the room screaming, that the source of his lassitude was discerned: the lingering aura of Meido clung to his soul like a stain and a cloak.

Upon consultation with the records, precedent was found for this situation: once or twice in a generation, a soul waiting judgement in Meido would slip free of Emma-O's command, and reincarnate in a body with their previous sins still weighing upon them.  The ritual answer was exile; whatever crime Katanogu had committed in his past life, he would suffer from it apart from the Lion to avoid staining the family honor by proximity.  While some rose up to defend Katanogu, already a valued gunso in the Matsu legions, even his staunchest advocates withdrew their support when they heard that Katanogu received this news with the same mildly-curious indifference he received all news with and simply began making preparations to leave this life behind.

Adopting the name Yoru, the bushi has since lived a relatively unremarkable life, spending some years adopting a small village to protect, some years putting his martial skills to use at the behest of the Great Clans.  Yoru simply goes through the motions of existence because he knows that's what people are supposed to do; he has no great attachment to life, but he also has no great interest in death.  Perhaps if he does what a samurai is supposed to do, he will feel a sense of meaning behind his existence again beyond the purpose he once had as a Lion...

Until then, he will do as honor calls -- and the thought of a new enemy, one that the Lion could not defeat all those centuries ago, might well be the thing to ignite his soul again.

Sheet

NAME: Yoru
FAMILY: (Former Matsu)
CLAN: Ronin

FIRE 2
Agility 3
Intelligence 2
AIR 2
Reflexes 3
Awareness 2
WATER 2
Strength 4
Perception 2
EARTH 3
Stamina 3
Willpower 3
[spent: 48]

Insight: 129
Honor: 6.5
Glory: 1.0

Battle 3
Jiujutsu 1
Kenjutsu (Katana) 3
Kyujutsu 1
Lore: History 1
Athletics 1
Hunting 1
Commerce 1
Etiquette 1
Investigation 1
Medicine 1
Performance: Drums 1
Heavy Weapons 1
Iaijutsu 1
Sincerity 1
[spent: 17]

TECHNIQUE
The Lion's Roar - Add Honor Rank to all damage rolls.  May move additional 5ft/turn in Full Attack stance (up to normal maximum).

ADVANTAGES/DISADVANTAGES
[3] Tactician (may gain +5/-5 on Mass Battle table)
[2] Strength of the Earth (reduce Wound Penalties by 3)
[2] Balance (add +1k0 when adding Honor to resist Intimidation/Temptation)
[-4] Cursed by the Realm: Meido (when unoccupied, -1k0 on Perception-based rolls)
[-3] Social Disadvantage (-1 Status, Ronin)
[spent: 0]

Initiative: 4k3
Armor TN: 20 (25 in Light Armor)
Katana (6k3+Emphasis attack, 8k2+6 damage)
Wakizashi (6k3 attack, 7k2+6 damage)
Ono (4k3 attack, 4k4+6 damage)

Light Armor (Reduction 3, +5 Armor TN)
Sturdy Clothing
Daisho
Ono
Traveling Pack
5 koku