BREEDERS (Recruiting for next round and side plots only)

Started by lore, January 30, 2014, 02:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caela

This looks intriguing. I have a question though, is there any leeway in the social status at all? For example, could someone born chattel show enough aptitude for something (say science, or mathematics) that they were allowed to move up to Elite status? Or vice versa, could an Elite break some law, or series of laws, so horribly (or simply show themselves to be so inept) as to have their status stripped from them? I would assume that almost nothing (maybe short of killing another fertile Shareholder) would lose a Shareholder their status but thought I'd ask if there was any leniency in the other rankings.

lore

I seem to have a lot of apps from folks wanting to be born chattel only to have climbed their way out of the slums.

Unfortunately there is no mobility, upward or down, when it comes to status. It's the inherent unfairness of the system. There are ways for Shareholders to find their rights taken from them, however (a bit from our faq):

Can my character fight for chattel rights?

Yes, but there will be consequences, and it will be harder than you think. Chattel are viewed as being less than human. Brutalizing them and using them has become so normalized that sympathizing with them would be considered not only heresy, but madness. Shareholders would risk being labeled mentally unfit, having their powers stripped from them, and being institutionalized. Elites could face devastating fines, imprisonment, losing their jobs. What's more, the fact that they are worthless, and that they are chattel because of divine law has been internalized by most chattel. Telling one they deserved a better life would likely involve a lot of scared, confused looks. They might contact the authorities on you themselves. It is important that you conspire very, very carefully.

Urbanzorro

Quick question, what sort of state run pseudo-religion is prevalent in the setting?
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

lore

An amalgamation of the monotheistic faiths (minus the sexism). A single creator god, who has a designed purpose for all. Priests (male or female) spread the word of The Prophet (who is also an amalgamation of many prophets, and has no name)

Phobetor

Okay so first off: Totes interested here.

Secondly: Ya'lls OOC thread is hilarious.

I am totally game for playing either but which one do we need more male chattel or female?

Hope to hear from someone soon :)
Not Available for new Stories.
Taking a break from E.

Caela

Quote from: lore on February 02, 2014, 09:53:24 PM
I seem to have a lot of apps from folks wanting to be born chattel only to have climbed their way out of the slums.

Unfortunately there is no mobility, upward or down, when it comes to status. It's the inherent unfairness of the system. There are ways for Shareholders to find their rights taken from them, however (a bit from our faq):

Can my character fight for chattel rights?

I'd actually been more interested in an Elite character who fell into the slums, even if only for a short time as some sort of punishment, thus giving her a unique perspective.

ArtemisHighmore

Good evening everyone. Working on a few things and then will see about a character. Male chattel still alright?

And submitted. Fingers crossed! :D

Love And Submission

Here's an interesting question I have. This seems like a really good game but I'm confused about one thing , What happens if there's a fertile chattel (could male or female) with some sort of hereditary health disorder? Are they still bred or what? Given the situation I'm a  bit curious. On one hand , The world needs people yet on the other hand do you really want a world of paranoid schizophrenics?

Otherwise this seems like a great game.

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Vill

Quote from: GrapeTootsiePop on February 02, 2014, 11:20:13 PM
Okay so first off: Totes interested here.

Secondly: Ya'lls OOC thread is hilarious.

I am totally game for playing either but which one do we need more male chattel or female?

Hope to hear from someone soon :)

Female chattel hold the title of least filled role.  :-)

CurvyKitten

I actually have two ideas one of them being a female chattel, just don't want to end up rping all by my lonesome if I do. hehe

Vill

Quote from: CurvyKitten on February 03, 2014, 06:39:47 AM
I actually have two ideas one of them being a female chattel, just don't want to end up rping all by my lonesome if I do. hehe

Sorry, what? I was distracted by your avatar.

*collects himself*

There are a couple men eligible for the breeding program, as well as male chattel who aren't: but, they could still provide a potential writing partner. I think an easy way to play the role of a female chattel while circumnavigating the potential lack of a partner would be to catch the eye of a certain male shareholder. This could place your character in the proximity of the more socially privileged while fulfilling that play style.   

CurvyKitten

Quote from: Vill on February 03, 2014, 06:43:46 AM
Sorry, what? I was distracted by your avatar.

*collects himself*

There are a couple men eligible for the breeding program, as well as male chattel who aren't: but, they could still provide a potential writing partner. I think an easy way to play the role of a female chattel while circumnavigating the potential lack of a partner would be to catch the eye of a certain male shareholder. This could place your character in the proximity of the more socially privileged while fulfilling that play style.   

I do love my avi, even with the distractions hehe.

That is true, and the game is still growing as well. Then I suppose I will be working on a chattel female. 

I have a second Idea but I may have to tweak it a bit to work here.

Vill

From what I've seen, the GM isn't adverse to players having more than one character. And, with a posting rate of every three days, you could realistically play two with no problem.

Vill

Quote from: DTW on February 03, 2014, 04:45:30 AM
Here's an interesting question I have. This seems like a really good game but I'm confused about one thing , What happens if there's a fertile chattel (could male or female) with some sort of hereditary health disorder? Are they still bred or what? Given the situation I'm a  bit curious. On one hand , The world needs people yet on the other hand do you really want a world of paranoid schizophrenics?

Otherwise this seems like a great game.

That's actually a really interesting point. I'm not sure how the GM will respond, but it might come down to the consensus that defective life is better than no life at all. I think something to take into consideration is that this is a futuristic environment. We have medication to deal with a wide array of hereditary ailments already, so it might not be too far fetched to assume that treatment for these conditions is in a near perfected state.

The other option is this: who cares if your chattel are all mentally deranged as long as they can perform their jobs? It might even be cheaper to NOT treat them if it doesn't seem to inhibit productivity. This is, after all, a society ruled by corporations who flaunt their belligerent treatment of human rights.

However, your inquiry unintentionally raises an interesting question about shareholders. I'm lead to believe, as all previous eugenics programs have displayed, that there is a social sense of bigotry and bias that supports a self-centered proclamation that one's own genes are superior. I do not know if the GM intends to explore this option, but it seems plausible that your concern over hereditary ailments might find itself compounded within the shareholder community. An already narrow gene pool might find itself further compromised due to the rare event of a fertile male shareholder being discovered. Should he have any hereditary shortcomings, that hypothetical trait could easily find itself a dominate characteristic in the top 1% -- assuming shareholders have an incentive to breed with one another for the sake of power manipulation or social-racial purity.

An excellent question indeed, sir. Thank you for thinking. But, for the sake of convenience, this might all be swept under the rug: an act I wouldn't be opposed to.

Mtpersson

I would presume that if the child was infertile and had the 'undesirable' trait then the company would let it live. If it was a fertile child, however, I'm not sure. This could be a point of interest inside of the RP. Maybe some want to cull them and some want to let them live their lives as 'normal'.

What does our GM think?

CurvyKitten

Quote from: Vill on February 03, 2014, 07:20:44 AM
From what I've seen, the GM isn't adverse to players having more than one character. And, with a posting rate of every three days, you could realistically play two with no problem.

Nods~ Well honestly I have to see if the second idea will be approved first. My Chattel will be working in a greenhouse. She will have a secret little grow area for herself, where she grows certain herbs and such. Some will be natural contraceptive, things like Daucus carota,Rutin, Smartweed leaves. I'm still doing some research on it but perhaps she even prepares it somehow. But its her little rebel way of trying to give the woman a choice still. Granted its herbal and not 100% of course but at least it is better then nothing.

Moon Hound Hati

Just my theory, but I'd think fertile chattel with serious hereditary afflictions would be prohibited from entering the breeding program     or at least not eligible to breed with shareholders and possibly elites. I could see them being able to breed with other fertile chattel, but then you'd have to ask: why not just use other fertile chattel to make up for that loss by making them breed slightly more? Or perhaps make it so that, in the breeding program, the fertile chattel with hereditary health issues can only breed with others in the same position. I guess it all depends on how dire the need for numbers is and the amount of fertile chattel with hereditary health issues versus the amount that don't. If it's only a small minority, you can just exclude them from the program to reduce the spread of those hereditary health problems. Selective breeding, or whatever it's called.
Lingerie is like wrapping paper for the best present in the world     the female body.

Phobetor

Quote from: Vill on February 03, 2014, 06:37:50 AM
Female chattel hold the title of least filled role.  :-)

Thanks for the response, I'll be filling out a character sheet soon and submitting it to the GM.
Not Available for new Stories.
Taking a break from E.

Cerevan

There's also the question of whether the affected person is male or female. I assume there is probably more leeway in the defects a fertile male can carry, vs. a fertile female, due to the disparity in numbers.

However, it's probably important to realize that many hereditary issues can be circumvented rather easily in this sort of situation. Unlike the "real world" where people have sex willy-nilly and only later figure out that they're both carriers for color blindness or hemophilia, here people could be tested and then only paired with fertiles who are not carriers. Also, there's the bit that something like hemophilia may be carried in a female line for generations with nary a peep until it suddenly pops up in a male child...

...supposing hemophilia did strike the Shareholders, it could wreak utter devastation upon their ranks. Just look at what it managed to do to the monarchies of Europe. Overthrow of the Towers, ho!

lore

EDIT - a little copy and paste error there

QuoteI'd actually been more interested in an Elite character who fell into the slums, even if only for a short time as some sort of punishment, thus giving her a unique perspective.

Sorry. Again, a lot of people wanted to take this angle, but if an elite fell on hard times, they would be put on state welfare. This would be difficult and humiliating, but not hold a candle to slum life.

QuoteFrom what I've seen, the GM isn't adverse to players having more than one character. And, with a posting rate of every three days, you could realistically play two with no problem

Re the rules: 9. 2 characters max to start. Once you have them established (posted in 2 threads) you can request more

QuoteMale chattel still alright?

More than welcome.
QuoteWhat happens if there's a fertile chattel (could male or female) with some sort of hereditary health disorder? Are they still bred or what? Given the situation I'm a  bit curious. On one hand , The world needs people yet on the other hand do you really want a world of paranoid schizophrenics?

Given that one breeder male would father MANY children, a fertile man with an untreatable hereditary disorder would be sterilized very quickly, after a thorough analysis of his genetic makeup. Chattel with dissorders may be sent to R&D for experimentation. The exception here is a shareholder who abused the system to avoid this. WARNING - I will evaluate all apps involving mentally ill characters VERY seriously.

APPLICATIONS FOR THE FIRST PLOT THREAD CLOSE AT NOON EST TODAY

You may continue to submit apps, but these characters will only be able to participate in sideplots until the next plot thread goes up in a month.

CurvyKitten

I guess I'll be holding off then since there is no way for my to get my character in by noon. Currently at the hospital with a family emergency. Hope you all have fun though.

lore

Take care and best of luck with your family.

I have to get this plot thread up, and need to tailor it to the characters I have.

When your character is accepted, she will be welcome in sideplots until next month.

AribethAmkiir

lore

APPLICATIONS FOR THE FIRST PLOT THREAD ARE CLOSED

You may continue to submit apps, but these characters will only be able to participate in side plots until the next plot thread goes up around the begining of March.

ArtemisHighmore