Star Wars Force & Destiny [Recruiting!]

Started by Datawych, May 23, 2016, 10:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Datawych

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 25, 2016, 04:54:59 PM
We have the option to purchase one, but I think it still comes out of our starting 500-credit allotment.
Ahh, I KNEW I had forgotten at least one thing.

500 + 1d100 is the normal starting credit range. But remember, you aren't technically starting characters - you're somewhere between 500 credits and ~9500 credits. While Jedi usually have very few personal possessions, the Order typically has the ability to requisition appropriate gear for whatever must be done. Since 75 XP is halfway to Knight-level (at which time characters are awarded ~9600 credits worth of gear [a single lightsaber]), the Order is willing to appropriate ~5100 credits' worth of requisition to each Padawan (4500 + ~600).

TheGlyphstone

Oooh, that makes a significant difference. So our starting cash is 5000+1d100, not 500+1d100.

Can we run items/gear from the EotE/AoR sourcebooks by you on a case-by-case basis for approval? 5000 is actually a lot of money, and will leave a lot of cash left over even after everyone buys a good ranged+melee weapon and some quality armor. Other books might have niche tools or gear items, or mods, that'd come in handy for a team of Padawans on their own.

Datawych

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 25, 2016, 10:29:05 PM
Oooh, that makes a significant difference. So our starting cash is 5000+1d100, not 500+1d100.

Can we run items/gear from the EotE/AoR sourcebooks by you on a case-by-case basis for approval? 5000 is actually a lot of money, and will leave a lot of cash left over even after everyone buys a good ranged+melee weapon and some quality armor. Other books might have niche tools or gear items that'd come in handy for a team of Padawans on their own.

Well.. remember that is going toward a lightsaber at some point. That's the amount of gear you could reasonably request at this point. It wouldn't be YOURS - just the Order may or may not be willing to risk that much on your PCs.

TheGlyphstone

Confused again...example time.

Let's say I decide to start out with an Ancient Sword, a Blaster Pistol, and a set of Armored Clothing - that'll run a total of 1,750 credits, plus 3,250 credits worth of miscellaneous other gear (since I presumably cannot just blow all of it on a gigantic spice binge). What would you suggest I use all that extra allowance to get?

Assuming the game lasts long enough for us to hit Knighthood, will I have to trade in the items I already 'own' to get the lightsaber? I had kinda pictured our sabers being the reward for a small quest, since we are supposed to craft them ourselves, rather than just being handed sabers by the Temple quartermaster.

Jaded

Quote from: Jaded on May 24, 2016, 11:43:09 PM
Name: Ora'sade
Species: Twi'lek
Career: Seeker (Ataru Striker)
Signature Force power: Enhance or Influence probably.

Tentative Skills: Charm*, Piloting (Space), Ranged (Heavy), Vigilance, Athletics, Lightsaber

A diplomat at heart, Ora was trained in the belief that if diplomacy devolves into violence, one must be prepared to end things quickly.

Slightly modified, I wasn't sure if you wanted more.  I need to glance at the specializations (are non-force ones allowed?), but probably see her as being a blend of a 'face' and a combatant. 

hellrazoromega

Quote from: Datawych on May 25, 2016, 06:05:33 PM
The point is that the Force is a living, changing, semiconscious thing. It isn't just something that can be used to your every whim. Sometimes you don't have enough 'gas' to use the Force to make something happen. That's the whole reason there are more total dark side pips on a Force die than light ones. If you could always get enough Light Side power to do what you wanted, no one would ever fall to the Dark Side.

I get what you mean with Force Rating one, as you're sometimes forced to make the decision between gaining conflict or not having the power work at all. But it starts to make a lot more sense when you reach FR2+. Because then it's often a difference between succeeding to diminished effect, or succeeding at the cost of 1 conflict. Also remember that if you end up with 5 conflict at the end of an adventure, you still have a 50% chance to GAIN Morality.

And don't forget that the more Force-sensitive characters there are in a game, the higher the chance of having an extremely large Destiny pool!
Oh I get the idea behind it. And I get you can tap the Dark Side a time or two with no ill effect or little effect but to me the Dark Side should be a temptation not something like, "do I let my that non-combatant innocent  fall off that cliff or do I tap into the the Dark Side to save them." Sure the Force is not a toy and should never be used on a whim but to me falling to the Dark side should be about drawing extra power or doing "evil" things--bad choices not bad rolls. Also,it is totally possible to have bad rolls even at FR2,  and get all black pips and acquire enough conflict to lose morality even when you had all "good" intent and good outcomes (we have all had bad nights with the dice)-- and that just does not agree with how I see the Force. For someone without Force training that makes sense, for those with training that should never happen, IMO.  If a Jedi has "good", non-selfish intent and good outcomes (because we know what they say about intent alone and the road to hell and all...)then, to me, even that 50% chance should not be a thing. I also admit I am grossly oversimplifying how I see the Force which is another reason I don't like its fluctuation being random, the Force has a plan and should not be random (though it may seem so from the PCs perspective at times. Neither should the loss or gain of morality be something at the whim of the dice, that should be from the use of strictly Light/Dark Side powers or by GM adjudication. In fact morality (or the Dark and Light Destiny system I use) should not even be something players should know, IMO, so they aren't ever placed in the position of, "well I have earned 3 conflict tonight, let me think a minute about whether or not this use of the Force is worth the risk." I just tell them their actions make them feel like they are slipping to the Dark or growing in the Light, how much they don't find out until the end of the session. Don't get me wrong I LOVE FFG's system for conflict and skill resolution and I think it works great for untrained Force users blindly stumbling around the Force, but not so much for trained Force Users in some circumstances, which is why I tweaked it a bit in my game. 

Anyway I have a particular view of the living Force and I don't expect that others will necessarily agree with it. I'm certainly not one of those people who thinks that because I see things a certain way that everyone must agree, just my opinion is all.

I hope no one thinks I am trying to derail anything I just love debating the Force, I did a bunch of undergrad work on the ethics of the Jedi and the Sith for fun, I get a kick out of it. As I said I'm willing to set that all aside and see how it works out just to get a chance to play. :)

Datawych

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 25, 2016, 10:52:23 PM
Confused again...example time.

Let's say I decide to start out with an Ancient Sword, a Blaster Pistol, and a set of Armored Clothing - that'll run a total of 1,750 credits, plus 3,250 credits worth of miscellaneous other gear (since I presumably cannot just blow all of it on a gigantic spice binge). What would you suggest I use all that extra allowance to get?

Assuming the game lasts long enough for us to hit Knighthood, will I have to trade in the items I already 'own' to get the lightsaber? I had kinda pictured our sabers being the reward for a small quest, since we are supposed to craft them ourselves, rather than just being handed sabers by the Temple quartermaster.

It's a question of in-game credits vs. in-game justification for items.

See, 'trading in' is a misnomer. The vast majority - nearly all, really - of profits earned by Jedi/Padawan are expected to come back to the Order in some fashion or another. Think about Obi-Wan in Episode IV when he says "I don't recall ever owning a droid..." Despite the fact that R2-D2 is more or less his/Anakin's for 10+ years, he never considers R2 his property.

Your character probably WOULD trade in the ancient sword - he has a more effective equivalent, so it would probably be better-used in the hands of some Padawan. Regarding armor, it would probably be appropriated based on need. An assignment to a warzone would be more likely to involve Armored Robes, but they would be considered overkill for a peaceable assignment. Consider the however-many-credits a pool of requisition-able gear, rather than possessions. After acquiring a lightsaber, you can safely assume that you'll always have it. Other gear, however, is more need-based. That's part of the reason I'm looking to avoid crossover characters - AoR and EotE have Duty/Obligation, both of which provide more in-character justification for items a character will have for the rest of his/her career.

Is that 9000-something credits ALL a Jedi has to throw around at 150 XP? ....probably not. But a lightsaber is a major character-point, whereas a lot of other items aren't.

Armorer introduces a hard question, because they depend on their soak for defense, rather than whatever Parry/Reflect they might have accrued by that point. Most other Jedi are typically wearing Concealing Robes and happy with it.

Think of your so-far-acquired credits as a pool of purchasable items, rather than actual hard-and-fast owned items. A lightsaber is a defining piece of gear, whereas everything else probably isn't. At 150 XP, you can reasonably expect to have a lightsaber, plus whatever other gear the Order may or may not define as a necessity for whatever assignment you're on.

TheGlyphstone

Functional enough - the Deathwatch RPG works on similar enough lines that I can wrap my head around it.

Still leaves the question of what to 'spend' some of that 3000-odd requisition balance on. Weapon/Armor mods can eat up a lot of money fast, but most tools tend to be very cheap in terms of credit value equivalent. There's no need to 'max out', but letting that much surplus go to waste seems a shame, and I can't just ask for fifty frag grenades and call it a day. ;D

Pumpkin Seeds

I'm going to pull my application.  Just not feeling the inspiration.  Sorry everyone and hope you have a great game.

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Tagan

Coming back to life somewhat after a very hard year... and here's a Starwars game starting with Muse and Glyphstone!  Hi!

I don't know this system, unfortunately...

I'll see if I can figure out enough to join you in applying to this!

hellrazoromega

Quote from: Tagan on May 26, 2016, 07:09:57 AM
Coming back to life somewhat after a very hard year... and here's a Starwars game starting with Muse and Glyphstone!  Hi!

The system is rather simple to learn.

Datawych, since the rules are not explicit, are you allowing training light sabers to be used with talents like reflect and parry? The answer may seem obvious but I'd rather ask than assume.

Muse

Datawych

Quote from: hellrazoromega on May 26, 2016, 08:13:02 AM
The system is rather simple to learn.

Datawych, since the rules are not explicit, are you allowing training light sabers to be used with talents like reflect and parry? The answer may seem obvious but I'd rather ask than assume.
Yes. Though I may occasionally spend a couple Threat to have them temporarily short out due to the rough treatment.

Quote from: Muse on May 26, 2016, 04:39:10 AM
Does anyone have any feedback on which of my concpets would fit better? 
I'd say Kael. Avan sounds more like someone who'd have a few well-trained specializations under his belt already.

Alright! I feel like at this point waiting for any more people to express interest is just going to make already-interested people bored and lose interest, soo.... Correct me if I miss anyone.

Still Interested:

HairyHeretic - Radorin (Shadow)
Muse - Kael Bax (Armorer)
TheGlyphstone - Kadduth (Aggressor)
Jaded - Ora'sade (Ataru Striker)
hellrazoromega - Ara-Vin Thanis (Healer/Consular)
Tagan - [No character yet]

So we've got a cleric-type, a rogue-type, a tank, and 2 DPS. Not terrible as far as party balance goes, though I'm curious to see how Kadduth/Ora'/Kael change with their second specializations.

So that puts us (potentially) one PC over what I was looking for... Is anyone kinda on the fence about playing? Or does being a GM's Assistant (and helping me design/play some major NPCs and stuff) sound particularly appealing to anyone?

hellrazoromega

HairyHeretic

I'm Sentinel / Shadow.

Starfighter Ace was the backup in case you didn't want two Sentinels. I plan on taking some pilot skills as well anyway.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Datawych

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Tagan on May 26, 2016, 07:09:57 AM

Oh hai. Welcome back.

On-topic - Kadduth's probably more of a hybrid tank/DPS right now; Aggressor encourages offense, but he's got a pretty impressive Soak value, and being the biggest thing around means I expect him to draw an above-average quantity of fire. When I eventually branch into Niman Disciple, he'll get even tankier.

Datawych

Alright, so the next phase would be Emotional Strength/Weakness, Morality, Cultural Background, Force Experience, and Heeding The Call.

Please add a one- or two-sentence description to each one to expand/personalize them a bit.

Jaded

N/M

A Person On A Computer

Oh, please don't tell me I found this game too late!  I'd love to join this!  I love the FFG version of Star Wars tabletop! 

Datawych

Quote from: A Person On A Computer on May 27, 2016, 09:25:13 AM
Oh, please don't tell me I found this game too late!  I'd love to join this!  I love the FFG version of Star Wars tabletop!
Well, your application would mean at least one character being denied. So.. a little yes, a little no.

A Person On A Computer

That...doesn't really tell me whether or not I should apply, Datawych.   :P

Datawych

Quote from: A Person On A Computer on May 27, 2016, 05:59:14 PM
That...doesn't really tell me whether or not I should apply, Datawych.   :P
Dunno, should you? I didn't say no.

We're at 5 character applications right now, but applications aren't closed.