Who's your favorite comic book character

Started by AtlasEros, January 04, 2011, 05:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LunarSage

People may think I'm weird, but Jubilee.

Second is Captain America.

Third is Streak.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

AtlasEros

Quote from: LunarSage on January 07, 2011, 08:02:09 PM
People may think I'm weird, but Jubilee.

Second is Captain America.

Third is Streak.
Yeah, you're the first Jubilee fan I've heard of.
O/O

LunarSage

We're more prevalent than you think, heh. 

Besides, she's a vampire now so maybe that will get her a bigger following.  People like dark and brooding, right?

Zoophilian

Captain America first, Second would be Punisher! And third? Deadpool of course!

AtlasEros

Quote from: LunarSage on January 09, 2011, 11:53:54 AM
We're more prevalent than you think, heh. 

Besides, she's a vampire now so maybe that will get her a bigger following.  People like dark and brooding, right?
You're talking about the mutant girl, right?  She's a vampire?  Hu, I certainly didn't know that, interesting.  I can see why someone would like her, they draw her hot in that girl next door way.

For the x girls, I'm more into Rogue, Jean Grey, Domino & of course Mystique.
O/O

AtlasEros

Quote from: Zoophilian on January 09, 2011, 01:38:10 PM
Back in the Civil War angle, it looked like they were going to make Punisher the next Captain America.
O/O

Zoophilian

I think the mantle would of been offered to Wolverine first due to that "Respect" that Logan had. But yeah >_> Punisher needs more cool stuff! hes the guy you love to hate

AtlasEros

Quote from: Zoophilian on January 09, 2011, 01:54:41 PM
I think the mantle would of been offered to Wolverine first due to that "Respect" that Logan had. But yeah >_> Punisher needs more cool stuff! hes the guy you love to hate
I think Wolverine is Canadian.
O/O

Zoophilian

Quote from: AtlasEros on January 09, 2011, 02:57:36 PM
I think Wolverine is Canadian.

Yer right I forgot that O.o. But etherway, Logan had more respect for Cap than anyone else.

AtlasEros

Quote from: Zoophilian on January 09, 2011, 04:26:27 PM
Yer right I forgot that O.o. But etherway, Logan had more respect for Cap than anyone else.
Yeah, I recall Wolverine being part of Cap's backstory in one of the animated movies I watched.  I watch a lot of those now, I have a 3 year old son who loves super heroes.
O/O

Wyrd

Since I was a kid my all time fav Comic charecter has been Marvels most Canadian Super hero next to Wolverine.  Guardian, the leader of Alpha Flight. (Also known as weapon alpha and vindicator.

Him and Wolverine have been much closer to each other then him and Cap. Guardian was the guy who talked Logan into becoming a super Hero and using his power to help people. This charecter had gone through a lot of crap and stuff over the years but he has also been closer to me then any other.
Ragtime Dandies!

Heaven Sent Blossom

There's a disturbing lack of Catman in this thread, disturbing I tells you!
Oh and maybe Deadshot--I guess what I'm saying is that the Secret Six are the best.

AtlasEros

Quote from: Heaven Sent Blossom on January 13, 2011, 11:34:25 AM
There's a disturbing lack of Catman in this thread, disturbing I tells you!
Oh and maybe Deadshot--I guess what I'm saying is that the Secret Six are the best.
What is Catman from?  Not familiar with him.
O/O

Heaven Sent Blossom

Catman started out as one of the usual rogues gallery of gimmicky Batman villains. I know he bummed around for a while doing other stuff but the next time I remember him really being used was in Meltzer's Green Arrow where he is portrayed as very much a third rate, joke of a villain.

Then along comes Villains United and, most importantly, Gail Simone. In Villains United and over the course of Secret Six Simone has turned him into a pretty boss character--you know, for a man dressed in a cat suit obviously.
Honestly he's less cool than Deadshot, but the way he's been turned around from his origins to where he stands right now is what makes him one of my favourite characters.

LunarSage

Do my favorite characters have to be published?  Because my fave would be one that's in the process of being made into a comic.

AtlasEros

Quote from: LunarSage on January 13, 2011, 12:50:46 PM
Do my favorite characters have to be published?  Because my fave would be one that's in the process of being made into a comic.

Sure, but you might want to include a good description of the character, so we know what you are talking about.
O/O

LunarSage

Alrighty then.  Streak is a character that I created when I was 16 and happened to have some extra money around to commission an independent comic book to be made of him.  If it proves to be popular, who knows what could happen?  I'll give you his history and some images that should give you a good enough idea of what the character is about.

I started to have the artist do the comic digitally but after seeing the first page I decided I wanted it done in line art.

HISTORY: 

Kevin Tyler was born in Seattle, Washington on the planet Earth in a dimension quite similar to your Earth, and yet quite different as well. His world was home to it's own superheroes, albeit different than the ones you, true believer may be familiar with. Kevin's birth year was 1974, and he grew up one of 3 brothers in the culturally rich district of Ballard, his family of a heavy Scandinavian descent... his parents weren't rich, but not in abject poverty either. He had some nice things growing up, but was not even close to being spoiled. He and his brothers graduated high school within the same 4 years, and Kevin's goal was to become a police officer. However, as so often is the case in stories such as this, things didn't quite work out as planned.

Kevin planned to train at the academy after taking the summer off... he and his girlfriend had gone to a Seahawks game and were driving home one night in her car when a weaselly man stopped them at gunpoint and told them to get out of the car. Kevin got out and tried to wrestle the gun away from the man, while telling his girlfriend to take off and go for help. As she drove off in a panic, the man pistol whipped Kevin on the back of the head, knocking him unconscious. Little did Kevin know, the man was connected and was quite desperate. Sam Geral had gotten himself in over his head with the local mafia, and was marked for death if he didn't do a job... go out and grab a healthy "volunteer" within one hour and bring him back to their pharmaceutical research facility. Thus was Kevin brought before these shady "doctors" and Sam Geral was murdered for his efforts.

When Kevin awoke, he was strapped to a table with an IV in his arm. He was told that he was the test subject of a new kind of poison, meant to kill a healthy man within seconds and leave no trace of any foreign substance for an autopsy to find. Despite his shouts of protest, he was injected with the poison as his murderers watched in rapt fascination. Kevin did not die, however... in fact, the poison would indeed have killed a normal man, but instead, the trauma triggered his latent mutant genes, and his powers erupted in a spectacular fashion. Tearing himself free with ridiculous ease, Kevin made short work of his captors. The destruction attracted the attention of the police, who had been trying to find him after his girlfriend had contacted them... they arrived in time to save most of the criminals' lives, and to take Kevin into protective custody.

Kevin was of course frightened and in shock, but fortunately for him, there were programs run by existing superhumans to help new blood to learn how to use their powers responsibly. He was adopted into Seattle's premier supergroup, the Defenders and he took the moniker of Streak. He quickly befriended a wisecracking super speedster named Bolt, and their friendship grew over the years. Streak came to be well loved by the public of Earth... he helped to save the world too many times to count, and for once he was truly happy. He could help people, but on such a larger scale than as a cop. That all changed one fateful day when without warning, a pale, gaunt creature calling himself the Grim Reaper attacked the Defenders' HQ. He was utterly merciless, and slaughtered the heroes like cattle before his deadly touch... nothing they dished out seemed to even scratch this silent being, and all seemed lost. Streak had landed blow after blow on the Grim Reaper, all for naught... knocked back, Kevin looked up to see the deadly being standing over the terrified form of Bolt, reaching out to deliver the icy embrace of death to his friend. Giving a shout of pure panic and rage, Streak flew in a blur to intercept the Reaper, locking hands with him... suddenly they were both enveloped in a bright light, and in a flash, they were gone. The few surviving Defenders saw the Earth's greatest hero sacrifice himself... they could only assume him to be dead.

From Streak's perspective however, the bright flash subsided, and the Reaper was nowhere to be found. A bleak landscape stretched out before him, and he heard a voice... faint but very clear. It told him that he had been chosen to be a guardian to the multiverse. He would never call any world, any dimension home... instead he would be taken where and when was needed, to protect the lives of the innocent, to fight injustice... to keep the forces of evil and corruption in check, never knowing when he would be transported to his next destination. He would be a beacon of light in the darkest times, and wholly removed from the cycle of life and death... immortal but unable to conceive. Thus did Streak begin his journey, and did indeed fight many evils in that world, before he was taken to the next, and the next, and the next. Sometimes he stayed in one world for mere hours, sometimes he stayed more than a century... for several thousand years (possibly more, possibly less... he finds it difficult to keep track) he has been a traveler, all the while becoming more and more hardened. He has loved and lost many times, each time more painful than the last... now he rarely even lets people get too close, for fear of the hurt when he either outlives them or is taken away. Yet through it all, he remains steadfast in his belief that he exists for the greater good. He is weary but he fights on... after all, he has little choice. He is Streak. He is a force of the Universe. Evil beware.

pavshia

Quote from: Zoophilian on January 09, 2011, 01:38:10 PM

Wow, apparently I'm in the right place. Didn't think I would run into someone with the same comic book character likes. However I like Punisher first, Cap second, Deadpool third.

I love the punisher because he had no special power (Like Cap) but found a way to win anyways. He is just so badass. I read the comic book for years as a kid. Loved it. I was even writing my own rip off of Punisher as a teen. Cap is in the same vein, but is obviously less vigilante. Deadpool? I've never even read his comics, but in the Marvel Alliance game he is awesome, so I thought I wouldn't mix up your top three and leave him there. If I chose someone else, maybe I go with the Hulk.

Craz

For DC comics, it's Batman. He's got some very strong storylines, and he's entertaining. For Marvel, it'll always be Spider-Man. I love Peter Parker, and I love Spidey.

Sel Nar

For DC; Cassandra Cain (Batgirl from 1999-2006). A functionally-mute, illiterate dyslexic vietnamese-american who knew about ten zillion ways to kick your ass, lethally, yet only once has she ever done so. The rest of the time, she kicks your ass so you're not dead. Probably the only non-super that could beat Batman in a straight fight. <Conveniently ignoring the Blatant Character Derailment caused by Didio and Beechen from 2006-2009>

Kaelhiar

Quote from: ThePrince on January 05, 2011, 11:26:33 PM

I could talk about how his battles are not just with fist but with ideals. I could explain how he is a character from another time trying to show that would he believed then is still true now.

But I'll just say that when the local school board and bigoted parents went after the local gay kids. When they said that allowing a "gay club" would open the door to prostitution and drugs. I stood up to them and said that they where wrong, when they laughed at me I used that quote. They stopped laughing.

... which comic was that from? Specifically? 'Cause that one, out of the entire Civil War mess, is something I'd actually BUY!

*ahem*

I like Cap, when he's written well.

Same with Wonder Woman. When Phil Jimenez wrote and drew her some time ago, I adored it! Because he did his damnedest to portray her the way I always thought she was meant to be portrayed: working to spread her goddesses messages of love, peace, tolerance, understanding, etc. And not in a kind of... superior kind of way. In the way that was like "Wow... she really means it!"

I was sad when he left.

But ultimate favorite? It's hard to say 'cause there will always be writers who mess up a character. But since you didn't specify if they had to be superheroes... or villains....

*coughs* Francine from Terry Moore's "Strangers in Paradise".

LunarSage

That speech of Cap's is my signature on so many forums...