Power Rangers. Kamen Rider, Sentai, suits and monsters

Started by Sabby, December 20, 2010, 06:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Okay, I'm confused... The Morphing Grid (the Power Rangers Wiki) says that SPD was the first season to 'seriously impress with it's visuals and cast'. Well, I'm watching Dino Thunder, which comes before SPD, and it honestly looks as good, and in many places, even better, and the acting is on par...

Whats up with that? >.<

Kunoichi

...Perhaps it's the first season where the audience was old enough to appreciate it?

Alternately, it is possible that Dino Thunder either takes a nosedive in quality at some point, or else didn't start out as good as it eventually got...

*shrugs*

Oniya

One man's trash is another man's treasure?  Frankly, unless a review says that something is stomach-hurling awful, I rarely pay attention to it. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

I never got into the Power Rangers that much, but then I also liked the (to me) Classic John Pertwee/Tom Baker Doctor Who eps. So I keep quiet and don't throw rocks, I know where I live. (in a glass house!)

Sabby

Never understood that phrase... whether your house is glass or wood, if you've got stones on the floors instead of carpet then its not a bloody house yet.

Oniya

The idea is that if you're in a glass house, throwing a stone would break your own windows (or provoke the person you're throwing them at to throw one at you, resulting in window breakage.)  In short, Dr. Who geeks are no better (or worse) than Power Rangers geeks.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wolfy

Oy..did anyone catch the new Samurai Episode last night?...I dunno..the acting just seems kinda...bland. :/ Then again, it's come back to Saban, sooo...

Though I do love Bulk and his nephew. :D...Though, if Bulk is around, and is old enough for Skull to have had a son and it be his "nephew" that means that Samurai is in the same timeline/universe as Mighty-morphing-through-Space, doesn't it?

Kunoichi

*looks up the new episode*

...Gah.  I... really don't think I can stand the acting... ><

*attempts to keep watching anyway*

Wolfy

I know, right?...Then again, Saban is back at the helm, soo..bad acting is expected. :/

Sabby

It'd be easier to deal with if it weren't for great seasons like Time Force and RPM raising the bar so high. I wonder if Saban has even seen those...

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on February 14, 2011, 10:21:32 PM
It'd be easier to deal with if it weren't for great seasons like Time Force and RPM raising the bar so high. I wonder if Saban has even seen those...

I do believe that Disney was at the helm for those seasons...and Disney doesn't half-ass stuff just because it's general demographic is young kids-young teenagers. :/

Sabby

Oh man, I love Cracked so hard right now <3

http://www.cracked.com/funny-5755-power-rangers-rpm/

Quote from: The Infinite Wisdom That Is Cracked

Just The Facts

1. Power Rangers RPM was the last show and thus supposed to suck, according to Disney.
2. Power Rangers RPM features Judd Lynn and Eddie Guzelian.
3. Judd and Eddie took ten minutes to laugh at Disney before taking a giant dump on their 'sucking' theory.

Why It Happened

Disney is a corporation of assholes headed by a cult of jerks. It's a well-known fact. How else would they have offended so many people with The Princess and the Frog?

But with Power Rangers, they'd reached a new low: Messing with five-year-olds.

They sold no toys, no DVDs, planned on canceling the show, and worst of all, only played episodes at 2 AM. Way past bedtime. But the real danger lay in these guys, PRU's community.

Power Rangers United Front is designed, managed, and run by fans of Power Rangers all older than five. In fact, the majority are women around twenty or so, working on first jobs or college while fanbasing Power Rangers. And, while there is no link to provide due to the site moving (and quite possibly a conspiracy), there was serious talk of them running Power Rangers themselves while Disney forgot it.

Then in stepped Judd Lynn and Eddie Guzelian.

Like a team-up of Batman and Superman, they first laughed at Disney (standing in for Lex Luthor\The Joker) for ten minutes solid, then proceeded to shuck any semblance of convention and kick ass.

Don't believe us? Here's the plot...

Kunoichi

...Man, Part 2 on that article definitely gave me a new perspective on the second half of Power Rangers RPM...

Sabby

Really? You mean you didn't suspect Disney was fucking with you when Teneya was kidnapped with magic rope and brainwashed for being a competent woman?

Kunoichi

On a Saturday morning, I'm not exactly in a thoughtful frame of mind. ^^;

Actually, most of the time, when I watch TV, I just turn my brain off and try to enjoy the show.  In retrospect, I probably should have suspected something, I guess...  Especially since I knew that Disney had fired the show's executive producer and had him replaced with somebody else...

Sabby

Power Rangers Mystic Force (Theme Song)

At first, I hated it, but it's getting in my head and germinating...

Kunoichi

Oo; That is bizarrely catchy...

Sabby

Just dub it over an Usher video and add in some after effects so he's got a Morpher and lasers. Instant Viral Success.

I kind of like it now... but mostly because I saw THIS!!

Power Rangers Operation Overdrive Opening

WHY?! D=

Kunoichi

*too busy ROFLing at the Operation Overdrive opening to give a proper response*

Wolfy

Well..it seems that Samurai is floundering. Nick has already basically given it the boot from it's main channel and shifted it off to Nicktoons for new episodes (With re-runs playing on the main channel late at night, I believe.)

...:/ Then again, considering they, for some reason, decided to show the ****ing 3rd episode as the first episode, one must wonder if they thought the show would succeed at all on it's own merits. I mean yes, Power rangers is all about the flash and stuff, but there's still usually a decent story in there somewhere..starting us off at episode 3 kinda ruins that, though, as you have no idea who the **** the villains are, why they want to do what they want to do, Who the rangers are, their personalities, backstory, etc, etc. :/ Yeah, they gave us some sort of flimsy "Here's what you need to know" review thing before it started airing, but hell, that doesn't make up for 2 whole episodes.

Kunoichi

Yet another reason why I don't bother watching Nickelodeon anymore...

Sabby

I won't be getting to Samurai for a while. I just now started on Mystic Force, and I have Operation Overdrive and Jungle Fury after that.

Random Trivia: Tommy Oliver is the oldest Power Ranger, in age and service record, having taken on 4 different Ranger roles.

Who do you think was his best Ranger?

Green Ranger, Mighty Morphin'

White Ranger, Mighty Morphin'

Red Zeo Ranger, Zeo

Black Dino Ranger, Dino Thunder

I go with Green Ranger :) much better costume in my opinion, though Black gets points for taking down a Zord sized enemy while not using a Zord (totally seriously here, the guys a fucking A-Bomb)

I don't count the White Ninjeti Ranger. It was a new suit for the same White Morpher. Was bad-ass looking though... I love when the costumes change a bit. Hoods and cloaks and what not, ya don't see it much.

Kunoichi

I think I'd have to go for the Green version, as well, if only because his Zord for that one was basically Mechagodzilla. ^^; I think I prefer the design on the White Ranger's costume, though, and as you mentioned, as the Black Ranger, he wound up getting all sorts of cool feats to his name, including beating all three previous incarnations of himself in a fight and other assorted things...

Sabby

I don't think he beat them, just held his own long enough. They stopped once his will to live was proven, and he was spending more time on his ass then his feet...

Still, it's hard to argue with that Staff. I've seen Rangers try and go toe to toe with giant monsters before, but that usually ends in the Ranger swatted like a fly. Quantum Ranger in Time Force wounded one though, but as far as I know, Tommy is the only one to defeat one.

Black Dino Ranger-Forever a Fighter

Sabby

POWER RANGERS HISTORY (All Openings - Part 1)

POWER RANGERS HISTORY (All Openings - Part 2)

Clearly, the track record for theme songs is not flawless. Some of these are pretty meh...

Power Rangers Samurai Opening Theme v1

...and... your saying this sucks? Because that opening is fucking awesome.