News:

Main Menu

Blast from the 80s!

Started by Kurzyk, December 01, 2008, 10:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurzyk

Took a trip down memory lane... Scary thing is I've played most of those games.  :D

100 Top Commodore64 games in 10 minutes!

I still think Archon was the best!

It's amazing how far games have come.

Oniya

Oh god - I played Archon on the Atari 800!  (I could do scary things with that machine - which is probably why my dad bought an Apple II+ when all my friends had Ataris. ;D)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kurzyk

Really? I didn't know it was on the Atari 800. Were the graphics and game play different?

Oniya

Probably not terribly - fantasy chess, the five power points, little battles instead of automatic capture.  I never played with the C64  (Although I do have a Q-Link t-shirt. *geek*)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Kurzyk

Yep that sounds the same as C-64. The little battles were the funnest part! That bazilisk thing was the best piece.. that and the unicorn.

Q-link t-shirt?

Oniya

It was an online service designed for the C-64 and C-128.  Didn't actually die until the mid-90's, and still supported 300 baud modems up to that point.

Kurzyk

Wow I didn't know they had online services back then. I remember those old phone modems that you put the hand unit into the machine, and the disk drive being as big as a shoe box. There were also 'bulletin boards' or something? That people could dial into.

Oniya

BBS's predated online services, but they were usually run out of someone's basement on machines that were probably no more powerful than today's machines (although they were considered 'souped up' at the time).  Usually, they had message boards, USENET if you were lucky, maybe some text or ASCII-graphic games, like Scrabble, Rogue or Beast.

The Overlord

I wasn't so much of a Comm64 player, but I do recognize some of those. Others intrigue me....even in this day of hyper accelerated 3-D graphics I want to play them.  :)

EDIT- frikkin typos.  >:(

OwenNo6

ok, lode runner I played on the AppleIIe, but alot of those were on the NES, I saw Defender of the Crown (the jousting game) and I'd swear I saw one of the first Ultima series of games as well.

Wow, that is a blast from the past, my man!
My On and Off list

My other on/off list

Let the Priests of the Raven of dawn, no longer in deadly black, with hoarse note curse the sons of joy. Nor his accepted brethren, whom tyrant, he calls free: lay the bound or build the roof. Nor pale religious letchery call that virginity, that wishes but acts not!

For every thing that lives is Holy.

Kurzyk

I know! And it's amazing to think that any one of those games, I've spent huge amounts of hours at a time playing.

Oniya

Kurzyk

I do. Hours of fun there.

And Owen there definetly was an Ultima in that clip. I think it was Ultima 3. Loved that game. :)

Mellonlegolas

I was cleaning out our attic a couple of weeks ago and we actually still have our Atari 800 and it still works! I plugged it into the TV and stuck a game and TA DA! I can shoot at little triangle shaped spaceships! Talk about craftsmanship XD
My ons and offs can be found here

OwenNo6

Yes! Exodus! many hours of fun with that game on NES back in the 90s!

I thought I saw it in there, toward the beginning of the clip.

although I grew up in the 80's we had an atari 2600 but no computer aside what I got to play at school on the AppleIIe, but alot of those games on c64 came out on other platforms later
My On and Off list

My other on/off list

Let the Priests of the Raven of dawn, no longer in deadly black, with hoarse note curse the sons of joy. Nor his accepted brethren, whom tyrant, he calls free: lay the bound or build the roof. Nor pale religious letchery call that virginity, that wishes but acts not!

For every thing that lives is Holy.

Greenthorn

I forget which system I played it on...but I love Gradius!!  So much I bought it on my Wii ::)