Losing Posts - Lookin for a Firefox Plugin

Started by Schrödinger, January 12, 2011, 07:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schrödinger

So I'm typing up a nice post on my lappie or my home PC, figuring things'll be alright - I can just post away, and as long as I don't fowl up accidentily hitting any portion on my laptop to cause my input to be shifted from keyboard to mouse and follow up with backspace for and edit, I won't lose my posts. Of course, then I hit my mousepad and lose focus, off the posting field and on the page itself, thinking I'm just typing away, and editing a little error with backspace.

Bam. Backspace tosses me back to the previous page. I try to get back to the page I was working on, but yeah, my post is lost. And man! I hate it when this happens!

I did recall a while back there was something of a plugin for the Mozilla Firefox browser that seemed to memorize what you put into a posting field so you can recall it with consumate ease, but I'm a dolt, never installed it, and as you can imagine, I can't find it now anymore.

Does anyone at all know of such a plugin that allows the browser to memorize what you put in any posting field in the case of errant crashes and stupid backspaces causing loss of posts? Honestly, I hope someone still has something like that. Otherwise it's back to Notepad.exe  :-(

[li]
Schrödinger's O/O[/li]
[li]Plot ideas![/li][/list]

Trieste

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Vekseid

For the record, I have narrowed the problem down. Yahoo is distracting me : /

Schrödinger

Quote from: Vekseid on January 12, 2011, 07:24:48 AM
For the record, I have narrowed the problem down. Yahoo is distracting me : /

That's great to hear. I had a hunch you were busy with the current problems with the various mailhosts, so thanks for having had a look at this before. No rush to this, hence me asking for third-party solutions first - your forum is not the only one I'm sometimes running into this particular snag 

Trieste, Lilias, thanks for your suggestions, I'll have a look right at the both of them!

[li]
Schrödinger's O/O[/li]

Schrödinger

Well hot-diggity. Lazarus works like a charm. Again, thanks for linking me (and us all!) to it, Trieste.

[li]
Schrödinger's O/O[/li]

Vekseid

Yeah, I know what's wrong now. I just need to figure out how to do it without breaking things.

Xillen

Question, how do you return to the post you were on?

If you hit backspace, but then hit the nextpage arrow in the top left of the firefox window, you should return to the page you are on, with your post intact!

If you hit backspace, and then try to return to where you were by clicking the correct link, what you posted is of course gone.

I don't think I have any addons related to this feature, so I do believe it's a core feature.

Schrödinger

Either by shift-backspace, or clicking Next again. Which sadly does nothing to keep my posts, unless I had them by a preview, so I can simply refresh the page, resend the data, and have my old post back as if I was previewing my reply. Mind, this is with Firefox 3.6.10.

Still, Lazarus may yet prove to be a godsent.

[li]
Schrödinger's O/O[/li]

Oreo

Lazarus has worked great for me. Even when Firefox crashes it saves the post. Actually, it saves a long list of posts making it easy to back track to something you may have posted earlier in the day.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Haibane

I think Lazarus might well be the finest little bit of software ever written. It has saved me sooo much stress.

Aleph

Laz is indeed a handy wee plugin, but an alternative suggestion is to write the post separately (I keep all my stories in a OneNote book) and then copy and paste where required.

Oreo

Quote from: Aleph on January 17, 2011, 02:58:12 AM
Laz is indeed a handy wee plugin, but an alternative suggestion is to write the post separately (I keep all my stories in a OneNote book) and then copy and paste where required.
I do this for RP posts, as well, but it would be tedious for everything else. I tend to make a lot of modifications during previews too. This is when I tend to make the great faux pas' and try to edit the preview instead of the text window. Oh happy day, there is Laz to the rescue.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Star Safyre

Another +1 for Lazarus.

I know Mr. Fyre and I have lost posts when we accidentally try to post at the same time.  Installing it has saved us a lot of frustration with each other and no longer requires us to yell across the house, "Posting!"
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Vekseid