News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

When Two Worlds Collide

Started by Animegurl5, January 18, 2012, 06:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaernak

Kalys grabbed her wrist, leaned back into her and turned, a short movement making her fingers drop the dagger into the dirt without hurting her.  Fingers intertwining with hers,  his other arm came around her waist pulling her in close, now nose to nose with her.  "If I am your prisoner then let me be a willing captive...you will find that you need to draw no weapon on me."  Grey orbs locked with her eyes.  "Stuck until dinner?  That sounds delightful.  My mother always said "Kalys", he mimicked her voice in such a way that only lent itself to hyperbole, "a woman isn't going to fall out of the sky and into your arms."  Wonder if she'd laugh if she knew how wrong she was?"  His eyes didn't leave hers for a second.  She could have tried to kill him just then if she'd suspected anything.  Good.  You should be more aware of your surroundings anyway. his cold professionalism warned him.

((good morning! sorry i've been away for a time but work happens!  hope you slept well!))

Animegurl5

She gasped as the dagger fell to the ground but she didn't even have time to watch it before she was almost litterally face to face with Kalys. Her eyes were locked with his, unable to look away and she found that she didn't really want to. She laughed lightly at his immitation of his mother, hanging onto every word with a smile. Then she blushed and turned away, out of his grasp only to face him from a foot off. "Well I didn't fall from the sky, just from a tree so her words still ring true. Besides my father always told me 'What ever you do, don't let the wrong type of guy sweep you off of your feet'." Her voice dropped lower as she attempted to immitate her own father's words but she ended up laughing herself. She picked up her knife gingerly, wiping the dirt off with her skirt and resheathing it. Then she took Kalys by the hand and began to guide him towards her home. "You know, I don't think I have ever seen you around these parts before. Are you new?" She asked, turning her head with sparkling eyes to her captive.
For the rest of the month, my schedule will be awkward and unpredictable. Please pardon my absenses and delayed replies.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=131173.0

Kaernak

Phrase your words carefully  "I am.  Have been traveling for a while.  Was going to head home back east but..." he stopped and shrugged, exhaling a resigned breath, "nothing back there for me."  He smiled to her.  "Haven't been able to find too much in the way of honest work around here.  A couple performances at a few taverns displaying my unique gift, a few day to day labor jobs but nothing that really stuck."  He looked around, making mental landmarks of the surroundings.  "I hope your father won't mind a guest coming home with you...especially if..you know..." he gestured to her hand.  "I don't know how your father feels about magic but my mother always taught me to keep it hidden."

Animegurl5

"Oh don't worry about my father. He only worries for my safety, that's all. You see the men in this town are held with the highest respect if they are magic users, but there aren't many of them here. However if a woman has such abilities she is usually cast out at birth or burned alive. My abilities didn't appear until much later in my life but father didn't want anything to happen to me. So we went on with life like I never even got them. He might be a little, over protective though. And if it's work you are looking for, you can try the Smith. My father is in charge of it while the real owner is down with sickness but he still works as if he were another employee. Still gets payed well too. And if you need a place to stay, I'm sure mother will let you stay for free if you agree to help with chores while you are here." Her smile brightened with every word that left her mouth and soon she was beaming with a smile as bright as the sun itself. Suddenly she let go of Kalys hand though didn't stop walking. The glow immediately ceased but she hid it in her skirt to be sure that those on the street didn't see it. "Hurry up or we will be late for lunch."
For the rest of the month, my schedule will be awkward and unpredictable. Please pardon my absenses and delayed replies.

Kaernak

He picked up his step to follow her.  He'd apprenticed at a smith in his hometown so the work would be familiar.  Perhaps he could leave the life he knew behind and start over.  Don't be a fool.  Blood is all you know.  You can't escape it. the voice inside him spoke with feverish urgency.  "I don't want your family to feel they have to go out of the way for me."  He didn't want this family to take him in and then something happen to them on account of him.  "I could stay at a local inn if there is one?"  He looked at her, concern furrowing his brow, his scar pulling itself slightly out of alignment with its lower half.    That's right.  Hide from them.  Don't let them know you.  It is easier to keep a cold distance.  Don't get sucked in by a pretty face.  Shaking his head to silence the voice, he strode beside her awaiting her answer.

Animegurl5

"Don't be silly." Her smile faded some but it was still rather bright. "That is my call, I'm daddy's little girl, he does what I want him to eventually." She was really hoping that Kalys would stay at least for a while but it was starting to seem as if that weren't going to happen. "But no pressure, you may do as you like after dinner. At that point you are free." She sighed, almost completely losing her smile. It couldn't be helped, she was falling for a man she didn't even know. Don't be so naive. He is just passing through and will begone before you know it. Don't do anything stupid. It was an all out war in her head and she fell silent trying to calm the constant waves of thoughts running through her mind.

Kaernak

He slipped an arm around her waist.  "Of course I'll stay after dinner.  I just don't want to impose upon your family more than I should.  It would seem strange if you were to bring a man home that you just met and want them to give him a bed.  I can stay at the inn.  You wouldn't want people to gossip after all would you?"  Gods but aren't you a clever boy.  Protecting her AND reassuring her.  "Where did your smile disappear to?  Are you suddenly feeling unwell?"  He looked to her, concerned. 

Animegurl5

"Let people talk all they want, for I know they have nothing to say in the first place. No one would dare mess with me, they know better." At that point her stomach growled loudly as if to answer his question of the mysterious disappearance of her smile. "It left with my breakfast on my way up the tree. I have a feeling that we will find it at lunch though." She said, spotting her home at the end of the road. "That's it there." Her smile peeked out again, just before reaching the door. She clasped the knob and opened the door calling over her shoulder. "Beware of my brother though, he can be a little...." It was out of nowhere that a young man jumped out of the shadows and pointed his favorite bow and arrow at Kalys. She let out a little squeal, most certainly taken by surprise but regained her composure and growled with frustration. "CRAZY!" Her cut off sentence had just been completed as she punched her older brother in the face and watched as he hit the ground. "Have you lost your mind? All the nonesense of the world has nicely fit into that small head of yours, but I wish you would at least act intelligent!" She hissed as she scowled at him. "Sorry about him, Kalys this is my idiot older brother Jake. Jake, be civil and polite to our guest Kalys. Is lunch ready yet?" She asked, her stomach growling once more. Jake got to his feet and dusted himself off before growling a short 'yeah'. At that point Skylar dragged Kalys inside before her brother decided to actually shoot the bow.

Kaernak

Kalys looked at the boy with a look of confusion on his face.  "You know...a bow shouldn't be discharged inside.  You could break something."  He paid no more attention to the boy and followed Skylar through the house.  "Does your brother often menace people that are walking in the house?" he whispered to her, his head leaning down to her ear so the sound wouldn't pass to anyone else.  "It would seem to me that an arrow is a bad way to POINT out that company has arrived." He let the joke roll off his tongue as if it were the most natural thing in the world to say.  You nearly put a knife between the boys eyes.  And would have in any other situation.  This girl is making you soft.  First the tree, then the meadow, now here.  He felt the familiar weight of the throwing knives sheathed about his forearm and smirked slightly.  It would have been an easy toss but the girl seemed to have a knack for dealing with her older brother.  "Quite a punch you have there.  I guess it comes from growing up with an older brother?"  He looked to her hand.  "Break anything?"

Animegurl5

"No. Not usually, just those he likes. Seems he has taken a liking to you, not very common for him." She smiled with amusement and burst out laughing at his joke. Looking down at her hand she shrugged. "I was raised with the knowledge of how to fight, in case the time came that my abilities were found out by the public. He and I used to spar everyday, quite good fun and good practice. Ha, you insult me with your lack of confidence, had I broken anything, which isn't likely... It would have mended almost immediately, though would have snagged quite of bit of my energy as well." She smiled before belting out into the otherwise quiet house. "MAAAAMA! Jake is trying to kill our guests again." Her voice rang out through the walls and her mother turned the corner with a look of annoyance. "You mustn't be so loud, you will raise the dead." When she saw Kalys she smiled. "Welcome, sorry for my son... He can be a little energetic at times. Feel free to make yourself at home and stay as long as you'd like." Then she turned about the corner to complete the meal. "See, I told you they wouldn't mind."

Kaernak

He jumped at her shout for her mother.  Wake the dead indeed.  "Thank you for your hospitality ma'am.  My name is Kalys."  Pulling his gloves off and sticking them through his belt he extended a hand to her mother.  "If there is anything I can do to be of assistance just let me know."  He smiled to her.  "You know...if your son is interested in some training I can provide it.  I've traveled with several different kinds of people throughout my short years and have picked up quite a variety of skills.  Perhaps a little confidence and discipline is what he needs? I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds but I know it helped me a lot."  He took a seat next to Skylar and prayed it wasn't someones usual spot at the table.  "Also...if there is anything I can do to pay you back for this meal I will be glad to do so.  You have only but to ask."  Asking for help from you?  She might as well ask for a knife in her throat  He sighed inwardly at his voice wishing it would go away.

Animegurl5

"Maybe he needs a good butt kicking." Skylar mused as she imagined her brother in training with Kalys. "Well it would be quite amusing, feel free to train him away. Then maybe he would be a little more civil like you." Her mother called over her shoulder with a hint of laughter. "Though I don't suppose you could help with the cleaning afterwards, the food is already done. It's the clean up that has me tired."

((Brb... Dinner.))

Kaernak

((okay just reply when you get back))

"I, my dear ladies, am an expert in cleaning.  I've often been told that my work with dishes left them so clean that you could eat off of them."  he let the joke hang in the air with a bit of a smile on his face.  "It is the least I can do to pay you back for a meal.  In fact I quite insist that you leave the entire affair to me and don't bother yourself with any further chores today.  I'm quite sure with Skylar's instruction I will be able to handle it all."  He grinned and turned to Skylar.  "Civility doesn't come from violence.  Civility comes from knowing you can stand up to violence and knowing when it is appropriate to do so.  When to fight or when to flee.  Realizing that the best way to stop violence is to not partake in any. "

Animegurl5

"My, my, Skylar. It would seem that you have brought the very God down to our table today. Where ever did you find him?" Sky's mother was quite impressed with the young man and most certainly wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to have a day of relaxation. "Let's just leave it at he swept me off my feet, alright Mother?" Her smile brightened the room ten degrees and twice over when her Mother brought the food out to the table. "Oh Skylar, I believe your father was taking a short nap before going back to the Smiths today. Be a dear and wake the dead." She winked then plugged her ears, gesturing to Kalys that he should do the same. It was quite amazing the power of her lungs, especially on such a small frame but she called most clearly, and loudly for her Father. Upstairs you could hear a crash of a man's body hit the floor with a loud string of cursing afterwards. "He's up." her voice held every bit of angelicy and innocence as if she had never shouted at all. A few moments later, Skylar's Father stomped down the stairs and into the dining room. "Skylar, what have I told you about shouting in the house?" He grumbled, eyeing Kalys who was sitting beside her. "Sorry Papa but Mother asked me to raise the dead and so I did just that." Her smile looked innocent but her eyes begged otherwise. "Yes, yes. Very well then, who is the young lad and why has he come?" The large man sat down at his usual spot at the table. "Father be polite. He helped me out with something quite important today, and has already agreed to do the chores for Mother today. Jake is also in for a bit of a surprise, so a win-win for all. Now shut your mouth and eat, I'm starved." She smiled one of those smiles and you could just she her father relax in defeat. "You know, I am really starting to wonder who the real head of the house is." He gave her one of those 'I love you but you are a pain in the ass' type looks. Then he took a large bite of the food and they all began eating, with the exclusion of Jake.

Kaernak

((welcome back!  that was quite a lengthy dinner you had!   ;) ))

Even with his ears plugged the girls voice tore into him.  Even if we had killed her in the woods someone would have heard her scream  Kalys stood and shook her father's hand.  "I am Kalys, traveler and, while captive by your daughter," he winked at her over their inside joke, "household task completer extraordinaire.  At least until I can find some work here in your town.  If it isn't too forward of me, your daughter had mentioned that the local smith was sick?  If you need an experienced hand I was apprenticed to a smith in my hometown years ago.  Unfortunately he fell in love with wine and gambling and ended up....well...it would be more polite to say he ended.  I've been traveling ever since doing odd jobs here and there."  Not knowing what else to say he sat back down and joined the rest in eating.  The food was...nothing short of delicious.  He'd had good food, for certain, but made by the formula all taverns across the continent seemed to follow.  This was REAL food.  "Ma'am I must say that I've honestly never eaten anything quite so good.  My own mother wasn't as accomplished at cooking as you are."  He smiled briefly and then had to remind himself to eat slowly so as not to be rude or gluttonous. 

Animegurl5

((Yeah, I went out to dinner with my parents though I had no idea where we were going. It was about a 45 minute drive and it never seemed to end. Apparently dinner with my family means a night out on the town.  -_-  ))

"Yes, I do believe I did mention that. Come on, Father, you know you need the extra hand." Her father didn't even blink before her grumbled a quick, "Yeah, alright. You start tomorrow." "Splendid, I knew you would see things my way. And I told you that he would hire you." Skylar sat in her little corner beaming like the star she was. Her mother nearly reached the same level of brightness when Kalys had complimented her cooking. "I'm glad you enjoy it. The recipe has been in the family for generations, and each generation has added it's own twist to make it better and better through out the years. I have been trying to teach this one here how to cook but she won't sit still long enough for me to pick up the spoon." Skylar just shrugged and filled her utensil with more food. "I can't hear you over the amazing food you just cooked." And with that she took a huge bite. "Flattery won't get you anywhere with me, Skylar." But she couldn't help but to smile anyway. "Kalys, you may stay as long as you'd like. Our doors are wide open." She added with a warm smile.

Kaernak

((Haha.  I remember those days.))

"Thank you for the job, sir. I can fix the doors too if they are an issue,"  he winked, showing off his quick wit.  Kalys smiled at Skylar.  She reminded him of his own sister who couldn't bring water to boil without burning it.  His enjoyment of the meal fled at the thought of her.  Stop, stop now.  That wasn't your fault.  The food turned to ash in his mouth.  He pretended to be deep in thought and kept eating.  He didn't realize that his left hand was squeezing the life out of his leg until it started to tingle.  His grip shifted to rubbing.  "Food is so good it tricked my leg into going to sleep," he grined, though falsely, to explain his vigorous rubbing of his shin.  He realized Skylar's brother was missing.  "Is your son often absent from meals?" His gaze shifted to Skylar's father. 

Animegurl5

"Yeah. It has been some time since he has eaten a single meal with us. Usually we set the place for him and he comes to retreive it to eat elsewhere." Her father said, looking at the empty place where the boy should have been. "Ever since the death of Sebastian he has been rather... distant. Sebastian was actually my twin brother but he passed away after only a few months of life due to illness. For as long as I can remember Jake has been this way, as well as overly protective of me. It's not hard to imagine why but still, it's so sad to see him that way. The only time I have ever eaten with him is on my birthday. But never you mind him, it's not important." She quickly finished her meal and stood up from the table. "Please excuse me for a moment." She smiled at Kalys before grabbing her brother's plate and walking up to his room. Ofcourse he wouldn't be in there but she placed it on his dresser anyways for him to find later. She looked out his window, spotting him practicing with the old spar dummies they had built together.

Kaernak

Kalys sat in silence, unaware of what to say.  "I'm sorry if I said something to upset her...I was unaware."  He stood from the table and searched, finding her staring out of her brother's window.  Placing a hand gently on her shoulder he spoke softly.  "I didn't know.  I apologize if it is a sore subject."  He watched the boy at his practice, cataloging the way he moved, both correctly and incorrectly.  The boy seemed more likely to hurt himself in combat than to hurt his opponent.  "Perhaps all he needs is someone to talk to?  Someone to vent his anger over the situation on?  It is never easy to lose someone....." his voice trailed off as his thoughts once again shifted to his sister.  The way the light sunk away from her eyes as she died.

Animegurl5

Skylar looked over her shoulder at Kalys before returning her gaze to her brother. "No, it's quite alright. I think the part that bothers me the most is all the sadness and sorrow over someone that I didn't even know. I find it somewhat pointless to lose yourself over someone that isn't going to come back. It only hurts you and those who care for you more when one choses that life. One should never forget, that's not what I'm saying... It's just, it shouldn't become the center of your being." She said watching him slip and fall on his face. "Ha, funny how he is the one who taught me all I know and still I can pull it off better than he. Feel free to try and talk with him but I wouldn't start a conversation with Sebastian as a topic. That's a good way to get yourself killed."

Kaernak

He nodded.  "I'll let him recover from his embarrassment from the fall first.  I also need to finish up whatever work your mother was going to do."  He hugged her softly.  "It does indeed pain everyone for him to live as he is choosing to live.  Perhaps I can reach him in some way.  I lost my sister long ago so I know how it feels to lose a sibling."   A sadness crept onto his face.  "It is all too easy to focus only on what is gone instead of what you still have.  A lesson I won't ever forget."  He shook his head.  "But onto happier topics!  Why don't you enjoy cooking?"  His inquiry was solely to joke with her, though his face displayed nothing but seriousness.

Animegurl5

"Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. From the look on your face I can only guess how special she was to you." She paused a moment and then turned towards him with her hands on her hips. "Have you ever tried to cook? It's just so boooooring! All you do is stand there, sometimes for hours preparing a meal that is only going to last about ten minutes. Would you rather do that or go off on adventures, exploring the wild and all of natures wonders? Now do you see why I don't cook. Besides, I'm more likely to be making Skylar's Hand Stew than actual food." She laughed aloud at her own inability to make her own food let alone food for others.

Kaernak

He shook his head and smiled and her impetuous stance.  "Learning to cook is it's own reward!  You can do as much for someone by cooking them a meal as say....saving them from falling to the ground."  Kalys smiled and turned around slowly.  "If the hands in the stew are as cute as yours...it might be a delicious meal.  After all...I hear "lady fingers" are an ingredient in many desserts."  This waif of a girl made him feel almost human again.  It is going to be hard when you finally decide to give up on this charade and go back. "I'm not going back," he whispered. 

Animegurl5

She playfully shoved his shoulder with an exclaimation of, "That's so gross" and "Eww, I can't believe you said that". It was all good fun though and she enjoyed the company. It had been a while since she had met someone who had the same sense of humor that she had. She saw his lips move but she couldn't quite hear what he said. "Sorry, what was that... Oh nevermind. We have cleaning to do." She smiled and then spun out of the room in a much better mood than when she had entered it.

Kaernak

He grinned at her playful mood.  "Cleaning indeed."  He posed with his fists on his hips.  "And now to show you all a true feat of magic!  How to take dirty dishes....and make them.....wait for it...CLEAN!" His voice had shifted to a mockery of a theatrical performance.  Kalys followed her to the kitchen.  It felt natural to be ....this person.  It is because you are hiding who you really are from these people.  Which is handy...for now. the accursed voice wouldn't leave him alone for one minute.  He rolled his sleeves up, careful to not reveal his throwing knife sheaths on each arm.  "Where do we start?"  he asked her.  As an afterthought he added, "I rather like your hair."