News:

Main Menu

Make your video game!

Started by Inkidu, November 09, 2010, 04:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deamonbane

An interesting game idea would be an RPG based storyline involving the Star Wars Universe. A young padawan is brought to Coruscant, sometime between Knights of the Old Republic and the Phantom Menace. Most of the first half of the game would be on Coruscant, with game mechanics similar to the Assassin's Creed Franchise. I'm thinking that with the addition of the use of Force powers like jumping, climbing etc, would make it a very interesting open world experience. Following a main storyline, with smaller side-plots along the way. Interaction mechanics would be similar to that of the Knights of the Old Republic games, of course, and fighting mechanics... Still not sure what would be best, but I'm thinking tactical-based third person?
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Inkidu

If it involves lightsaber combat I'd suggest something akin to Arkhamverse Batman and AC Blackflag, but Lucas Arts is not longer in business. :|
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

I feel like a hardcore survival, post apocalypse, open world game with mechs. You scavenge parts, build and upgrade your personal mech, join factions and such, but the mech system would be incredibly deep. You can make anything from a simple tank or a gun on legs all the way up to a highly armored by agile biped with chainsword and anti-matter blaster, but you need to build smart. Armor has a material, a thickness and a weight, all weapons have a certain depth of penetration to certain armors, power sources and back up power sources all need to be connected properly, different energy types, different levels of diagnostics, different servo speed dictating how fast you can adjust your aim or turn, and moving parts all need to be functional. You could be doing well in a fight only to have a stray shell punch into the gap between your armor on your shoulder and destroy the joint, or bypass the cheap plating you scavenged to cut the connection between your power supply and your sensors, leaving you to fight without any system feedback. You could always reroute the power, but you have no idea what the condition of your system is, so you got no choice but to throw the hatch open and fight with your real eyes, having no idea what parts of your mech still work properly and trying desperately to fend the cheap raider mechs off of you until the diagnostics can reboot. If you'd know the thruster on your left ankle had been in a critical condition, you wouldn't have taken that evasive dash and blown your whole leg into shrapnel. Now your laying on your side, power unstable, explosive shells jammed, severe damage to multiple limbs, and you, the pilot, have electrical burns.

What still works? The eject button? Well, you're lying at a 45 degree angle, but not like you have a choice. Seat fires, tumbles, lands inside old warehouse, break arm on impact, have to hide from bandits and hopefully find way back to town. Too bad you opted to use a crappy nuclear power source and no diagnostics for the radiation shielding. That mech may have served you well, but it probably gave you some kind of cancer or tumor.

Uebelator

What Id love to see some day is some sort of RPG, that is set in the real world and deals with real peoples problems. Maybe a bit like Heavy Rain, but with more game inside and more motivating mechanics.
Im thinking about stories like Breaking Bad here, or maybe even some sort of soap opera-style gaming. Your character could have some sort of characteristics or attributes like the the SIMS maybe (Well not necessarily bladder and stuff like that), that tell you how good he/ she is in certain things? Good in his job? A socializer? Maybe good at sports?

Maybe you could play through your characters whole life, with every ten years being another chapter of the game, where you make certain decisions, that lead to different outcomes later on.

I obviously havent thought this concept through, as some people here did with their idea, but I think the real life has so much potential for great, emotional stories, that you dont necessarily need elves and big guns to make it exciting.

Sabby

Had an idea for a super typical first person horror game. Or a psychological experiment, if you're pretentious enough.

Based on my every night ever.

Starts with you at your computer late at night. You can't sleep. No ones around, house is quiet and empty. No specified objective. So, what do you do?

There's a game on the screen. There's other programs you can use. You could get up and walk around. If you look, you can find remedial tasks. There's clothes scattered, you could wash those. Dishes need doing. You could sweep. You could look out the peep hole in your units door, or look off the balcony. Eventually though, you'll start getting tired and can go to bed.

Well, that was a pointless game, huh? Wait, what's this level complete screen?

Times Watched: 6.

Longest Period Watched: 2 minutes and 23 seconds.

Wtf?! How? When? How was someone watching me that long? You try to remember the things you did (which you didn't pay attention to). Was it when you were doing the dishes? How could someone see you there? Were they on the balcony? Check the balcony. Start checking the peephole more. Generally get more paranoid as the nights go on, and the amount of sightings, and length of them, get higher.

Not sure how exactly it would play it, but it would be heavily implied at the end that there is no one watching you. The thought that someone might be is inducing the players paranoia, and the way they act, like repeatedly checking the same areas and doing certain things, induces the results a paranoid person would expect. How do you figure this out? If you'd checked on top of the fridge, you'd find blister packs of medication, and if you took them each night and adjusted your dosage based on your results, you'd win the game by having 0 phantom stalkers.

Zelta Runa

Sounds like an awesome indy game Sabby, very much in the veins of One Late Night and FNaF. I’d expect lots of YouTube Let’s Players to be posting hit videos of their experiences. :-)

I was just talking about this in another thread! The game would be multiplatform: WiiU, Xbox One, PS4. Published by Disney Interactive Studios. Imagine a game for all ages where Darth Maul can have a grudge match with Peter Pan, Spider-Man and Mr. Incredible.

Basically, I’m talking Super Smash Bros. with Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm characters. The possibilities are endless. Interactive arenas with background hazards, and most characters would have some kind of “Final Smash” type move.

Character example — “Super Move” idea:
Scar — climbs atop Pride Rock while a herd stampedes across the arena
Groot — grows a huge arm and flails it back and forth across the screen
Kuzco — drinks one of Yzma’s potions (for example, turns into a whale and crushes everyone onscreen)
Maleficent — turns into a FRICKING DRAGON
Rapunzel — heals herself with her hair
Jack Sparrow — temporarily becomes a skeleton, making him invincible
Buzz Lightyear/Woody (tag team) — fly around the screen on Sid’s rocket, before releasing the rocket (which explodes)
Elsa — either summons the giant snow monster, or builds an ice castle in the middle of the arena that damages other players
Darth Vader — calls in orbital bombardment from Star Destroyers
Timon & Pumbaa — Timon grabs Pumbaa’s tail and fires giant farts across the arena
Iron Man — targets one player with the Mark 42, which surrounds them and explodes
King Louie — “I Wan'na Be Like You” starts playing, forcing other players to dance while Louie tries to toss them out of the arena
Ursula — gets Triton’s trident and grows to huge size

I know it’s silly, but it seems like it would be a lot of fun. If this game existed, I might actually go out and buy a current-gen gaming system.
“ All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
— Gandalf

— Ω —
BACK… IN A LIMITED CAPACITY
Requests
Absences & Apologies
Ons and Offs

Sabby

Darwinus: The Evolutionary Roguelike.

Just like Spore, you start as a microbe, and each death is an entire generation of your species. Each new generation is an opportunity to improve your species, adapting to the environment. The game ends when you reach a point where your species picks up their spears and embraces tool use, thus ending the time of adaptation and bringing the dawn of technology.

At the start of a generation, you can move out into the world in search of food and find a mate. If you are killed, whether by the environment or another life form, your next generation remains unchanged, but whatever killed you is now more suited at killing you. If you managed to mate, you now get to choose an adaptation. However, trying to adapt to your environment will ALWAYS be a game of catch up. You only know what would have benefited the last generation. Putting those changes into effect now may not be as beneficial now, since the environment may have changed.

Maybe it's changed to a point where something you had in a previous generation is suddenly useful, and the entire course of your evolution changes out of pure necessity.

Angelic Kitten

Guardians:  Agent's of Justice.

This was actually vaporware years ago.

It was suppose to be a tactical superhero game, that was going to run on the (at the time) X-Com engine.  You find and recruit your agents (superheroes), send them out on missions against bad guys.  Develop their super base.  It was very doable... an fell apart.

http://www.unseen64.net/2010/06/06/guardians-agents-of-justice-pc-cancelled/

I would love to see this game come out.

CuriousEyes

Not to go in to too much detail, but I've always wanted to see a turn-based strategy/RPG game (Shining Force, X-Com, Fallout 2, etc.) built around a storyline of a character with heroic intentions descending into evil actions due to the perceived necessity of a mission.

For example, think a fantasy world where a main character in a quiet village discovers an ancient ruin. Once there, something awakens and informs them they're a "Chosen One" destined to do... X (overthrow a tyrant, stop Armageddon, etc.). So you sets out with a core group to figure out exactly how he's going to do that. And it plays sort of like a lot of traditional RPG stories at first - you reach the neighboring village which has been suffering from a group of bandits, so you destroy the bandits and a grateful named character agrees to join your party (in a heavier "strategy" setting, maybe you're provided with a resource or some kind of expansion of a sphere of influence).

But as the story progresses, the options become more blurred. Maybe the ruler of your kingdom isn't a tyrant, but is a beloved King who simply mistrusts your character's rise, and sends loyal soldiers to intercept that you end up killing, turning you into a rebellion in the process. The mayor of an idyllic village refuses to help your group as you run low on supplies because they barely have enough for winter, and you have no choice but to attack them to take what you need so you can continue your pilgrimage. Or you just end up with no choice but to align with a blatantly evil character who has something you need, etc.

I dunno why it appeals to me. Something about the idea of someone starting with noble intentions, but descending into evil.

Angelic Kitten

It appeals to your nature that the world is neither black nor white, and a mass of grey.

I can understand it cause i have that view too, which is maybe why i enjoy black and white games, to get me back off track of the hazy grey.

Lustful Bride

War of the Worlds: The Second Martian War.

Platforms: All, though it would likely run best on PC's.

Style: Similar to the game World In Conflict: Soviet Assault. Or perhaps to the Wargame series (preferably Red Dragon, I think they pulled it off the best.)

You will command various Human made Walker Tanks, infantry units, etc etc against a new invading army . In either a WW1 setting with a steampunkish style mix of Human and Martian technology. Or perhaps at the end of the cold war, forcing both sides to begrudgingly fight alongside each other to save the Earth.

Not sure what else to say on the subject, I just want a modern WoTW's game  :-(

I'd totally make this the trailer if I could.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Easter Eggs: Oohh man if it was in WW1 setting there would be endless easter eggs, like the Aerial Units would have The Red Baron as one fo the ace pilots and in the fluff say he was saved/ the wingman of Roy Brown (Canadian pilot who shot him down).

Or the most powerful battle ship unit being named "Thunder Child."

Sabby

Always wanted to see a War of the Worlds game. Like, maybe they didn't all die, and a very small percentage of them were germ tolerant, and now we're actually kind of in a fair fight.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Sabby on April 25, 2015, 11:18:48 AM
Always wanted to see a War of the Worlds game. Like, maybe they didn't all die, and a very small percentage of them were germ tolerant, and now we're actually kind of in a fair fight.

There actually was a war of the world RTS game from way back in the day, its primitive  by todays standards but it let you play as both Humans and Martians.

Oniya

They did a 'reboot' series a while back.  I got the first book, but it's been a while since I read it to find out how the Martians survived.

(Wiki article for those interested:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Worlds_%28TV_series%29 )
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Drake Valentine

:3

*Pulls up a chair.*

In my envision game, you start out as young troll; learning the ropes of how to keep people from crossing your bridge. Most of these would involve various scenarios, witty dialogue or even actions. Eventually in those short moments of amusement, you will find the villagers burning down your bridge and chasing you out of their city. From there begins your large adventure of Trolldome. The game will be open world and throughout it you will learn and gain experience in many methods of trolling. Perhaps it can have other gimmicks as well, such as crafting, leveling up, raising minions to help you in your spree of angering everyone out there. Maybe even have online features where other players can help you in the mischief or you can invade their worlds/be invaded and just deal with any general mischief.

Still a thought in progress, but probably be named something like 'A Troll's Adventure of the Real World.'

;3

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Drake Valentine on April 26, 2015, 12:21:32 PM
:3

*Pulls up a chair.*

In my envision game, you start out as young troll; learning the ropes of how to keep people from crossing your bridge. Most of these would involve various scenarios, witty dialogue or even actions. Eventually in those short moments of amusement, you will find the villagers burning down your bridge and chasing you out of their city. From there begins your large adventure of Trolldome. The game will be open world and throughout it you will learn and gain experience in many methods of trolling. Perhaps it can have other gimmicks as well, such as crafting, leveling up, raising minions to help you in your spree of angering everyone out there. Maybe even have online features where other players can help you in the mischief or you can invade their worlds/be invaded and just deal with any general mischief.

Still a thought in progress, but probably be named something like 'A Troll's Adventure of the Real World.'

;3

I almost wanna picture the antics the minions would get up to as stuff wed see in Gremlins X3

Sabby

So, this idea has been bouncing around inside my skull and won't stay down.

Picture something like Castlevania. Monsters exist in different factions, all constantly fighting amongst each other, and your Belmont/Buffy/Slayer/Chosen Hunter of Monsters exists to keep them in check. If the Hunter dies, they're just reincarnated. The monsters can't ever stop the Hunter for good, and the Hunter can't ever wipe out all Monsters.

The tutorial level is the Hunter on their final day of training. They're in the castle, among their sacred order of watchdogs, ready for the initiation ceremony. You receive your chosen holy weapon and cloak. Congratulations, you are The Hunter. You're first mission is to go to Draculas Castle and-BOOM. All at once, every single faction of Monster converges on the ceremony. The Werewolves, the Vampires, the Snake People, the Undead, the Black Magicians, the Dragons, the Demons, The Automatons. Every single faction, all uniting, just to stop you. Nothing else could band them together.

You die. The respective Leaders of all the Monsters make a pact. No matter what comes to pass between them in the future, the second The Hunter is found, all grievances are to be put aside. All wars are on hold. The Age of Monsters has begun.

The game begins for real in a post apocalyptic world several generations after The Pact. Humans are scattered and live under constantly shifting Monster rule. Even they will turn over a Reborn Hunter to the Monsters. No one even remembers the last time a Hunter appeared. It might as well be a myth.

The game is a fast, tactical stealth/action platformer. You are incapable of fighting up front, so levels focused on you getting from A to B without prolonged battles. Weapons, moves and skills you unlock will make you better able to defend against and redirect attacks, grapple enemies, lose line of sight and stun enemies so you can escape conflict or quickly dispatch enemies without escalation. Most combat will be trying to quickly break an enemies defense or countering an attack to open them up to being thrown through other enemies. A room with three enemies, a breakable wall, a pit of lava and a roof full of unstable spikes can be handled in multiple ways. Levels are massive and can be traversed through multiple paths. Air dashes, wall runs and wall/enemy rebounds, slides, and gaining momentum for long jumps.

Far eyes

The Dark Souls series could kind of apply to that if you are not to set on the traditional monsters, so can bloodborn except for the "tactical stealth/action platformer" bit :P
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

Sabby

I don't see any of the premise in Dark Souls. It would be more comparable to Samurai Jack, just this mishmash of groups ruling haphazardly over a post apocalyptic world, and you're this one carry over from before it all started.

Far eyes

Its a post apocalyptic world, well post meany apocalypses actually ware the monsters are the only thing that have remained, some of them remnants of possibly past heroes. Though the assumption of your own characters heroes is largely questionable, your actions being good or evil are extremely gray and like a lot of DS left up a lot to your own conclusion.

As i was saying it hits some elements but it is not a perfect fit

What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

A/A

Sabby

Yeah, but it's an incoherent grey mass, if it weren't for the introductory cutscene, you'd have no idea that was the story.

Far eyes

Quote from: Sabby on April 09, 2016, 07:35:44 AM
Yeah, but it's an incoherent grey mass, if it weren't for the introductory cutscene, you'd have no idea that was the story.

I disagree on that, but i understand what you mean. No DS never takes you by the hand and explains to you what is going on. There are a lot of pieces you can put together, there are a lot of contextual little bits and references things that character dialog refers to and hints at, information on bits of armor and even scenery in the world. But no there is never a moment ware it sits you down and then bird feeds you all this into your via some exposition dump. To me personally that feels like the game accepts that i am capable of finding and looking for explanation, its an experience i find endlessly more fulfilling then a big yellow overlay "GO there for next exposition dump"it understands its fine if you do not know and find everything. 

There are whole channels devoted to the idea of the lore by some very talented and articular people, much more then i am. If that is one of your major problems with the game VaatiVidya and his prepare to cry series is a grate example of some constructive taught and theory on it. I have a couple of friends who do not play the games but enjoy those videos just out of the fantasy lore aspects because it is not a classically fantasy fair thing.

One of the interesting little stories i have herd, and it comes from a source i chose to believe is that Miyazaki use to really love reading fantasy books when he was a young boy, the books were in English and unfortunately his own mastery of it was to poor to really work trough them a lot of the time, so he often ended up having to stop after a while. But in his head he taught of ideas and things that could have happened. It is why DS has such a heavy western fantasy influence.   

A/A

Sabby

I'm just going to remove myself.

Andy

@Far Eyes What Sabs described is less Dark Souls & More Bloodborne if you wanna go down into discussing which of the games it resembles. Bloodborne is Van Helsing & Old Gods duking it out basically, There sounds like there'd be more of an active narrative for the game he had in mind.

As for GAMEPLAY, sounds somewhat like Salt & Sanctuary, except if it was more based around technical dodging and countering, being aggresive in your fighting style, i like it :)
Quote from: Oniya on November 15, 2012, 09:32:19 PM
Remember:  Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to Hell in such a way that they thank you for the vacation tip.

Andys Creations: http://www.f-list.net/c/nullah%20mighthoof/

Far eyes

Quote from: Sabby on April 09, 2016, 08:30:28 AM
I'm just going to remove myself.

I am Sorry my intent was not to cause you discomfort i taught it was invitation to a discussion a sharing of views.

Quote from: Andy on April 09, 2016, 08:38:44 AM
As for GAMEPLAY, sounds somewhat like Salt & Sanctuary, except if it was more based around technical dodging and countering, being aggresive in your fighting style, i like it :)

Oh good point i actually forgot about that

A/A