What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beguile's Mistress

Thank you for that clarification.  I was working on the Herald and didn't have time to read the article and must have misheard what was said on television.

I agree with you.  He was out of control enough to be a patient.

RedRose

O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Renegade Vile

Quote from: RedRose on July 26, 2016, 07:52:13 AM
Every day brings other crazy news in Europe... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/26/two-men-with-knifes-take-hostages-in-normandy-church/

As cynical as it sounds, I'm starting to think a lot of the influx of these stories is because the media is smelling big bucks in reporting more on them, instead of making tiny articles somewhere and then moving on to whatever some celebrity said to make fools out of themselves again.

That aside, horrible story, but at least they were stopped before they took more lives.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Beguile's Mistress

Since the first news sheet made a farthing selling advertising the media has been all about making money on the curiosity of readers.  The problem is being able to find the news sources who have integrity and report just the news without interpretation or political editorializing.

I saw the story a little while ago.  It takes a special kind of coward to do what those two attackers did.

RedRose

Today I was out hunting Pokémons (don't judge) and noticed you weren't even allowed to park near churches anymore.  :-(
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]

Lustful Bride

Quote from: RedRose on July 26, 2016, 04:45:26 PM
Today I was out hunting Pokémons (don't judge) and noticed you weren't even allowed to park near churches anymore.  :-(

Wait..what? o_O

RedRose

I should have taken pics. I guess they expect new attacks. So fed up.

Lustful Bride

Its getting to the point I think some people would be ready or even happy to have a soldier on every corner. :(

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on July 26, 2016, 09:21:29 AM
I saw the story a little while ago.  It takes a special kind of coward to do what those two attackers did.

Couldn't agree more. Taking the congregation of a church hostage and slitting the throat of an old priest is simply disgustingly creepy. Just like those guys who gunned down manacled nuns in Yemen (I think that was where...).  :-(

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Lustful Bride

The Two girls who attempted to murder their classmate "for Slenderman" have been denied an appeal.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/wisconsin-girls-lose-appeal-in-slender-man-attack/ar-BBuWPdr?li=BBnb4R7&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Germany: A Suitcase exploded in a small town in Germany. Miraculously no one was injured. (Seems a heated can exploded and there were no signs of explosives in it)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/police-deployed-in-bavaria-amid-report-of-explosion/ar-BBuXiuN?li=BBnb4R7&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

All the money brought together by the ALS ice bucket challenge actually helped fund a breakthrough in research.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/how-the-ice-bucket-challenge-led-to-an-als-research-breakthrough/ar-BBuXInm?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

We could all use some good news. :)

TaintedAndDelish

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lustful Bride on July 26, 2016, 05:03:48 PM
Its getting to the point I think some people would be ready or even happy to have a soldier on every corner. :(

In Belgium, there's soldiers in a lot of places now, whereas before there were none. I've never actually been bothered by seeing armed individuals around me. I vastly prefer it over everyone carrying personal weapons as I'd sooner trust a trained soldier to use it properly than a panicked civilian. That being said, it's still odd to see them walking around a mall with assault rifles...

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

RedRose

Quote from: Renegade Vile on July 28, 2016, 01:49:16 AM
In Belgium, there's soldiers in a lot of places now, whereas before there were none. I've never actually been bothered by seeing armed individuals around me. I vastly prefer it over everyone carrying personal weapons as I'd sooner trust a trained soldier to use it properly than a panicked civilian. That being said, it's still odd to see them walking around a mall with assault rifles...

France, Belgium, Italy and I assume Germany are that way, at least in big cities. Definitely better than thinking the random civilian may have a gun and use it in panick! And definitely sad that things have come to that. I remember a time when even Euro Disneyland had zero security, now it's like flying...

Renegade Vile

Quote from: RedRose on July 28, 2016, 08:15:23 AM
France, Belgium, Italy and I assume Germany are that way, at least in big cities. Definitely better than thinking the random civilian may have a gun and use it in panick! And definitely sad that things have come to that. I remember a time when even Euro Disneyland had zero security, now it's like flying...

Agreed. Once Belgium starts upping the security, you know things are getting bad. I remember when each year, there may have been like one violent murder that reached mainstream media. And not because of media bias, but because it just never really used to happen that much here. Which has one distinct disadvantage that I hope the government is working on rectifying: our police is woefully underequipped and undertrained to handle threats of a certain magnitude and up. Not that I'm saying there'll be suicide bombers on every corner of every street, but all law enforcement needs to be prepared for something like Brussels Airport to happen again.

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Renegade Vile on July 28, 2016, 01:49:16 AM

Here in the States many places (not all) allow people to carry guns with special permits.  The idea of a civilian in the store with a weapon on his or her hip frightens m more than the idea of a terrorist.  As you say, police and military are trained most civilians just think they are.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on July 28, 2016, 08:45:14 AM
Here in the States many places (not all) allow people to carry guns with special permits.  The idea of a civilian in the store with a weapon on his or her hip frightens m more than the idea of a terrorist.  As you say, police and military are trained most civilians just think they are.

Exactly-so. Unless the conditions for getting these permits are extremely strict (and regularly checked up on) and if they also require psychological evaluations and courses in the proper handling of weapons outside of just knowing how to aim them and pulling the trigger, I do not have any confidence in them. Almost anyone can get their hands on them if they really wanted to, which makes them pointless bureaucracy.

Lustful Bride

Oniya

Quote from: Lustful Bride on July 28, 2016, 10:41:16 AM
John Hinkley Jr. (Man who tried to assassinate Reagan) has been freed. 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/would-be-reagan-assassin-john-w-hinckley-jr-to-be-freed-after-35-years/ar-BBuX1bR?ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

And that's the kind of sentence you get when you are found 'not guilty by reason of insanity.'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

RedRose

Quote from: Renegade Vile on July 28, 2016, 08:48:32 AM
Exactly-so. Unless the conditions for getting these permits are extremely strict (and regularly checked up on) and if they also require psychological evaluations and courses in the proper handling of weapons outside of just knowing how to aim them and pulling the trigger, I do not have any confidence in them. Almost anyone can get their hands on them if they really wanted to, which makes them pointless bureaucracy.

I agree.
I feel like every country has its own crazy nowadays... shootings, riots, urban crime, Islamism, whatever it is.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: RedRose on July 28, 2016, 12:44:01 PM
I agree.
I feel like every country has its own crazy nowadays... shootings, riots, urban crime, Islamism, whatever it is.

Truth of the world. Whole world is one big ghetto and everyone is insane. The good and bad of it are all by degrees :P

Beguile's Mistress

I see the insanity that breeds all over the world and how people begin to believe violence is the answer.  Then I see the reports of the violence outside the conventions last week and this and how it is left to police to make sure guns are not used and the physical attacks and vandalism are stopped.  Even a small amount of frustration these days leads to a breakdown in control on the part of the demonstrators.

Beorning

News from back here right now are all about World Youth Days.

It's hard for me to comment on this event, not being a Christian... Although I must say it's saddening to see how Pope Francis' words are being twisted by the supposedly-Catholic people from our current government. The Pope, after arriving to Poland for the WYD celebrations, has openly urged the Catholics to give aid and hospitality to migrants and refugees. The reactions? Well, for instance, our PM - when asked about the Pope's words - has said that, of course, we're all for giving aid to the refugees... meaning, the refugees from Ukraine (BTW. that is a blatant lie, as there are almost no Ukrainian refugees registered in Poland and, according to the media, quite a lot of Ukrainians are being *denied* asylum these days). Of course, Francis was not talking about *these* refugees, but our government prefers to claim otherwise and pretend that there's no discrepancy between Francis' care for Middle-Eastern migrants and this administration's absolute veto on letting any people from Middle East in.

Other sad example is one PiS MP, who recently made a post on her Facebook account claiming that Francis urged people to "defend the Cross, not the Crescent" and to "help people in need in their current place of residence". Seriously, how bigoted you have to be to hear the Pope say one thing and understand it as something completely opposite..?  :-(