Wrath of the Dragonkin

Started by Lady Jenn, July 10, 2017, 06:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levi

Ebony stared at the large warrior walking back with Ariadne, who is that! the thought was quickly explained when the man introduced himself. Ebony shrank back slightly as he sat down, this man was like none she had met in Tarnegar! The hound that was following Grim caught her attention, ever an animal lover she offered her hand for the beast to sniff.

Ebony had also noticed Grim staring but she ignored it, and instead reached over to take hold of Ariadne's hand, hoping to send a little message that while neither she or the elf had spoken their effections outload. It did mean Ebony was NOT available.

" Nice to meet you Grim, my name is Ebony, daughter of Vennar the blacksmith. Perhaps you have heard of him" she responded politely , even if he was intimating, she could at least give the man a chance.
A Working Progress.             Posting responses are: Slow.    Updated

King Kull

Grim’s dog sniffed at Ebony’s outstretched hand and wagged its tail. He moved next to Ebony and placed his head in her lap, hoping to be scratched. Grim grinned.

“Wolfling likes you, take it as a compliment he is normally wary against foreigners. No I haven’t herd of your father, is he a sword-smith?” Grim glanced at her blades and poured some mead. “Care for some excellent mead? Well at least strong. What brings a girl like you out here, are you peddling your father’s swords?

Considering the blades these women carried and that red jewel this was promising, they where not poor. No he didn’t plan to rob them but they could probably reward him well for his services. Ebony took the elf’s hand, maybe she was her daughter, an half-elf? That would explain why they had the same hair colour. Or was she scared and sought comfort from the deadly archer?
Mats

"Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path."

Lady Jenn

"I am Ariadne Dawnhammer," Ariadne said, sure to keep one hand near the knives strapped across her chest as a precaution. "One of the last of the Dawnhammer elves in fact. We're here becau-" She stopped as she saw Marcus moving towards the door. "Don't get up," she said to the other two. "He's about to say he's closing but that's just so we can talk to him in private."

"Time to go home," Marcus said, ringing the bell. "It's well past the point you should've stopped drinking." There were a few grumbles from the other patrons. "I could call the city guard so you can argue about this with them." This seemed enough to dissuade the few tempted to kick up as a fuss, as the other patrons shuffled out the door. Once he had secured the door Marcus walked over, smiling as he saw Ariadne stand up. "Ariadne, it has been too long since you last graced this bar with your presence," he said, hugging her tightly. "Who are your companions?"

"Ebony, recently escaped from King Myraz," she said as Marcus bowed before Ebony. "And Grim, who I've only just met so I can't introduce him properly."

"A pleasure to meet you both," Marcus said as he pulled up a chair. "Merrick tells me you wanted a word with me, I'm guessing you want information?"

"We do," Ariadne replied, watching Grim closely to see his reaction to her next comment. "We're heading north, our destination is Dragonblight."

"Great Earthmother," Marcus said, spitting out his drink. "You're going to the dragons?" He looked at Ebony and then Grim. "Ariadne, these two have no idea what you're expecting of them do you? Even if the Orcs and the Trolls don't get you, there is far worse north of the Troll Hills." He sighed as he rubbed his forehead. "Shall I get us stronger drinks? You'll need it when I tell you what I've heard."

Levi

Ebony grinned "Nothing stronger for me thanks but I'm interested to know more about what's between here and Dragonblight. I won't be scared off" she responded determined. Marcus walked back to the bar and bent behind it, after a few moments he returned with a dusty earthen bottle plonking it down he sat with the three companion's.

Ebony watched as Marcus poured some sort of drink for the other three, she was eager to know more, but knew she should wait till Marcus was ready to speak. As the least experienced at the table, she couldn't really contribute much to the conversation. Ariadne had said not to trust many here, so how much could Ebony say about what she needed to do and the magical help she carried with her. " I seek The Lord of Dragons aid" she began.

King Kull

“Well let me tell you about myself; I’m a Hercynian and I’m a hunter, a scout, a warrior and a pit-fighter: I have killed many things but never a Dragon. I don’t know anything about Dragonblight or why you want to go there but I hope there are not just Dragons there; I want to find some Honour and Gold as well.” 
Mats

"Not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path."

Lady Jenn

"If you can help us kill Myraz there'll be as much gold as you like," Ariadne replied. "The dragons alone would probably give you a mountain full of gold."

"That's assuming the dragons will listen to you," Marcus said. "My dear Elvish friend, you have been out of the loop longer than you realise. A few days ago a group of adventurers who managed to reach as far as the Troll Hills came through this tavern. According to them the trolls are growing restless."

"Trolls are always restless," Ariadne said with a chuckle. "They barely sleep they're so filled with adrenaline."

"This is no joke Ariadne," Marcus said forcefully. "They are not being playful or fighting over the crown, word from the hills is that there is a Dragonstorm brewing."

"Oh great Gaia..." Ariadne said under her breath, before she realised the other two wouldn't know what Marcus meant. "When the lord of Dragonblight declares a Dragonstorm it comes in three stages: first they drive the trolls south, straight through the Badlands; then come the Thunderlizards, Dragonkin and other beasts of the slopes of Dragonblight; and if those two waves do not wipe out all life in their way, then come the dragons themselves, each one of them capable of devastating an army alone. If we are going to persuade the dragons we need to leave as soon as we can."

"I get the feeling your companions won't be dissuaded," Marcus said with a laugh. "If I was younger and I didn't have Merrick to worry about maybe I would go with you. Just be aware: the lord of Dragonblight these days has an especial hatred for humans, as far as he is concerned they are responsible for his father's death. Pick fights on the way if you must, but do NOT anger him, he will not hesitate to kill you if you give him enough reason."

All the while Marcus was speaking to the other two Ariadne's gaze was being drawn towards the ceiling. While she wasn't as magically skilled as some Elves, she could sense someone else in the building, giving off a magical aura she had never sensed before.

Levi

Ebony looked from one person to the the next. " Trolls, Thunderlizards and eventually dragons, well Grim, are you still with us? Now you know a little more about the task ahead?" She asked, and then turning to Ariadne she also asked the elf  "what's our next move, do we stay the night or do you want to leave right away"

King Kull

Grim looked at Ebony. "I like the Mountains of Gold Part. Well seriously it does sound very risky but I guess Ariadne has a plan. But what does Myraz has to do with the Dragons? If we are not going to fight the Dragon what are we supposed to do? Hire him to kill Myraz? How do we pay him; with a young, pretty, silver-haired girl maybe?" Grim said and blinked with one eye at Ebony with a smile. She seemed a bit stuck up so Grim liked to tease her.
Mats

Lady Jenn

"You offer him the one thing he wants," Marcus replied. "The one thing which is stopping you from just walking into Myraz's palace and killing him outright: the dragon relic the king's predecessor stole from Dragonblight and Myraz refused to return. Convince him you will give it back to him once Myraz is dead and I suspect you will have every dragon he can spare if you need it." He suddenly noticed Ariadne was distracted. "Ariadne, what is it?"

"Who else is here?" she asked.

"Other than you three, me and Merrick?" he asked. "Nobody, this inn is empty."

"Marcus, I love you like a brother," Ariadne said with a sigh. "But you are a terrible liar. I sense magic from upstairs, magic I've never felt before. Unless Merrick has developed a hidden talent since I last saw him, this is someone else. What are you hiding?"

"She made me promise to keep her hidden here," Marcus said with a sigh. "There is a reason you don't know her magic, she is one of a dying breed. Maybe I can convince her to see you, but I doubt you can speak to her and travel safely afterwards. You do this, you may have to wait till morning. Although, as she said to me, seeing a Sidhe is an even rarer experience than seeing a real-life dragon these days."

"Sidhe?" Ariadne said, feeling startled at the news. She turned to the other two. "I would not make you dally here longer than you want, if you both want to set off now I will come with you, but...this, this is an opportunity even my grandfather never had the opportunity to experience."

Levi

Ebony grinned to herself two can play at that game she thought, she mischievously winked back at the warrior. He could obviously tell she had found him a bit intimidating, but with his cheeky behaviour Ebony was getting used to him and starting to see him in a more favourable light.

Ebony had been listening with half an ear to the ongoing conversation between Ariadne and Marcus. "So its true then, what my father said about Myraz's unnaturally long life" she stated. Ebony turned to look at the elf, Ariadne looked flushed with excitement over Marcus's last statement. I can't take this away from her Ebony thought.

She then had a bit of an idea. "Ariadne, go see if this Sidhe will speak with you... In the meantime Grim. Can you teach me some basics?" She asked gesturing to the swords at the waist.

King Kull

"Ariadne I’m fine waiting till morning, I have something I ordered that I want to pick up at the village smith.” Grim said.

Oh? Ebony actually winked at him! Well maybe she isn’t that bad after all. She was really cute when she looked naughty.

“So you want to learn swordplay young maiden? You came to the right person I’m not just a great swordsman I’m great fencing instructor as well.” Grim said; modesty was one of many virtues he completely lacked. "Show me your blades and I will see what sword suits you height and strength the best."

Grim held up the sword that, unknown to him, was the Dawnhammer. “This is an excellent blade but it’s made for a man. You are tall enough; with skill and stronger arms you might learn to wield it to its full potential, but that will take a lot of training”. Grim switched to the other sword and wielded it. He looked Ebony up and down.

“This is also a good sword, about the same quality as my own. It’s light and balanced, a fencing sword. I think this will suit you perfectly. You would almost think it was custom made for a woman with your strength.” Grim gave the sword to Ebony.

“The first lesson is your pose, balance and movement.” Grim took the Dawnhammer. “Your starting position will be like this.” Grim said and showed her a basic one-hand fencing position. When she imitated him he placed himself behind her and moved her feet slightly with his own feet, grabbed both her arms from behind and moved them to the right positions. He was definitely closer to her than he needed to be with his long arms but it was not only to be close to her; he did show her the right way to do it.

((Grim has still not understood that Ebony and Ariadne has a romance going, he is a bit dumb regarding such matters, well actually dumd regarding many things, he’s barbarian after all))
Mats

Lady Jenn

A short time later Ariadne returned to the bar where Marcus was sat reading a book, a sombre look across her face.

"I think she knew her time was almost up," Marcus said, passing her a drink. "She even said to me she suspected she was staying alive long enough to pass her knowledge on to someone who needed it. Was her information useful?"

"She gave more than information," Ariadne said with a slight smile. "I'll tell the others once they're ready. How are they doing?"

"When are you going to tell him about you and Ebony?" Marcus asked, raising an eyebrow. He laughed at the look of surprise Ariadne gave him. "The amount of time I've know you you're surprised I managed to pick up on that? The poor guy can't decide which of you two he wants to flirt with more, you ought to tell him before you get the urge to stick one of your knives somewhere he regrets."

Levi

Ebony wasn't going to lie, she had enjoyed Grim's burly arms around her, teaching her how to handle a sword. "This is the one my father made" she told him conversationally. As she allowed Grim to move her into the right stance. " Now that you've seen his work, what do you think?" Ebony asked, the young woman was keen to get Grim's approval of her father's skill. She frowned. His opinion shouldn't matter already! Ebony thought, however she knew getting someone like Grim to approve of both her and her skills would mean more then simply following Ariadne to Dragonblight.

The sun was beginning to set on their first lesson and Ebony called a holt  to proceedings. I wonder where Ariadne got to she wanted to know what the Sidhe had said ...if anything. " We should call it a night, I'm eager for bed, thank you for this evening Grim, I look forward to more lessons along the way?" Ebony had to tilt her head back to be able to look Grim in the eyes.

King Kull

“Your father is a fine sword-smith and that is an honourable thing. Especially it takes skill to make a sword perfected to a specific individual. Most smiths will just do a few standard types. It was a pleasure training with you. You have a long way to go; you really where a beginner, but I can see that you are really trying hard to learn and you are less of a beginner now than you where this morning. Every night you go to bed with greater skills than when you woke up in the morning is a day well spent. Tomorrow we will do dodging and parrying” It’s wasn’t empty praise, he said what he meant. Grim met Ebony’s eyes and looked deep in to the.

“I will just go to the smith to make sure he finishes what I ordered so we don’t get delayed. Ariadne is too fast with her bow for me wanting to irritate her! Good night Ebony you have very beautiful eyes”. In her eyes Grim could see that she really was as innocent as she behaved. There was neither malice nor deceit in those eyes. Grim walked out of the tavern.
Mats

Lady Jenn

"Do you feel ready for what's ahead?" Ariadne asked Ebony as she walked over, kissing her lightly. "I'd train you myself but he's probably a better fighter."

"Do you two want a room?" Marcus asked with a laugh, narrowly avoiding the bar mat thrown at his head playfully.

"We have potentially useful information," Ariadne said to Ebony. "Plus an ally if we want it. She came here with a bodyguard, now she's passed away he's offered his help. I suggested he wait till morning to introduce himself."

Levi

Ebony returned the kiss with some passion before cuddling into Ariadne. " He complemented me already!" Ebony gushed in delight. " I really want to do well, and I asked him to show me for a reason, your already risking much by guiding us there and I thought..... I thought you might go easy on me" Ebony blushed. Was she being to presumptions. The young woman really cared for the beautiful elf, and wanted to deepen there relationship.

" what information you have should wait until Grim returns, perhaps in the morning when we meet this bodyguard?" Ebony suggested "Let's go to bed" she offered suggestively. " Marcus.... You mentioned a room" Ebony slid him a small thumbs up in gratitude. Ariadne was certainly playing hard to get but with an ally like Marcus what could possibly go wrong.

King Kull

Grim was up with the first dim rays of light. The smith had promised to work through the night to be ready in the morning. He packed his backpack and went down to try and find some breakfast. That boy was already up and gave him some smoked ham and rye bread. He finished his meal quickly and went to the smith and he got what he had ordered: Two new throwing axes. He had lost his axes in an encounter recently and he was glad he got the new ones before the trip north. In troll-country they would meet multiple enemies and then it was always good if you could take out a couple before they got within hand-to hand-combat range. Pleased with himself he went back to the tavern. He thought about how sweet Ebony had been last night and looked forward to training with her again. Her hair really smelled good when he came close to her. But he wouldn't let her become an distraction; he didn't go on this trip to seduce soft skinned city-girl; he was going for the Gold and Glory. And after a few days training with the sword at least her hands wouldn't be soft any more, Grim thought and smiled to himself.
Mats

Lady Jenn

There was a young man, dressed in light but fearsome looking armour sat outside the inn, watching Grimm as he went back and forth. In spite of the armour his only obvious weapon was a stave he had laid across his lap.

"Breakfast is ready if you want it," Ariadne called out to Grim. She turned to the young man. "Arva, you've not eaten since you came here, if you're genuinely considering travelling north with us you're going to want something to eat." She stepped back through the door, where a large table was set up with what appeared more like a minor feast than a typical breakfast, Ariadne sat at the top of the table, dressed in her more imposing look of Ranger armour compared to what she had worn the day before."

King Kull

Grim looked at the impressive breakfast table, It had both cheese and eggs and all sort of delicious food. "Well I did have breakfast but I guess I have room for a second breakfast. Who's birthday party is it?" He said with a grin and sat down closest to where most of the food was placed so that he would have it within easy reach. "Ariadne just so I have gotten this straight; our quest is to get past all the trolls and dragons to reach the Dragon Lord and then convince him to help us kill King Myraz?" Grim said and started to fill up his plate with food. He generously, with someone else's food, gave nice meets to Wolfling.

((Sorry for cutting in but not affect the general story))
Mats

Levi

Ebony woke late to the wonderful smell rising form downstairs. She lept up, splashing her face with cold water, she quickly donned the tunic-like garb that she had now been wearing for several days. She made her way hastily down the stairs. Ebony easily spotted Grim at a table layden with food and quickly headed over to him.

Ebony then spotted Ariadne and took the seat to the right of the elf. Helping herself to some warm bread and cheese " you should have woke me" she whispered to Ariadne. The young woman turned to look down to where Grim sat with his platter of food. She chuckled " how many people are you eating for Grim" she teased before taking a bite of food. Munching away happily Ebony looked around,  Swallowing she asked " So where is this so called ally?"

King Kull

"I guess for about two grown men". Grim answered taking the question too literally. "You never know when there is food next time". He smiled. "Oh I didn't taste those sausages". Grim stretched after a thick pork sausage. His appetite didn't show on his waistline; he probably didn't eat this well on a daily basis.
Mats

Lady Jenn

"You need to make yourself more obvious Arva," Ariadne said with a laugh, stepping aside so the other two could see the young, armoured man, chewing away at a fairly basic meal. "This is Arva, he came here with the Sidhe and has offered us his talents should we want it."

"I may not be as impressive armed as the barbarian," Arva said. "But when you live with her kind long enough you realise you don't need weapons," he said, levitating a piece of meat to land it in front of Wolfling, "to be dangerous. "I have magic."

"And information," Ariadne said. "We have two options for where we go from here. If we want to travel quickly, there is the Basalian Road, but there is a higher chance we run into roving Orc clans out for a fight. If we want a more peaceful route there is an old watchtower on a hill near the border of the Badlands, deserted during the last Dragon War. Not only is there a quieter road north but its high enough that we can watch to see what lies ahead of us."

Levi

" I know which gets my vote" responded Ebony laughing. So, this Arva has magic, how awsome! she thought. " What are your thoughts? She asked her other three companion's. Whatever the outcome of this impromptus vote Ebony wouldn't argue with the outcome, although she of course would prefer the quieter route, she had a feeling the three warriors would choose the more risky path. She glanced from Grim, to Ariadne to Arva. At least there all strong she thought, Defiantly going to need a fast track on the sword fighting thought!

King Kull

"Off road is always better than on road, I vote for the tower". Grim said and finished his second breakfast with a belch. "Possible the best breakfast I ever had, I like the way you look after your men Ariadne". As a woods-man he always disliked roads, if anyone wanted to harm you they knew exactly where you would pass if you used a road. And if he himself wanted to rob someone where would he make an ambush? On the road of course! Actually Grim hadn’t seen a road until he was 15. In Hercynian lands there were no roads. He studied the pretty Ebony. She wasn’t an adventurer but he was sure Ariadne had very good reasons to bring her to the dragons; he wanted to find out her hidden talents, besides her obvious ability to charm men.
Mats

Lady Jenn

"Arva, I'm guessing you agree on going off-road too?" Ariadne asked, unsurprised when he nodded. "Well, assuming we've had our fill we should leave as soon as possible, I think we've hung around here long enough."

"We have to consider the problem of how we travel," Arva said. "I have my own horse but we still have to transport three people."

"If Grim wants one of our horses I have an idea," Ariadne said after a few moments. "Ebony, I'm sure I can persuade Silver to accept a second rider for once."