Mouseguard [Interest Check/Signups]

Started by Lord Mayerling, May 11, 2013, 08:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Mayerling

Mouseguard is an RPG by Luke Crane based on the eponymous comic book by David Petersen. It won the Origins Best RPG of the Year in 2008. It’s based on a simplified version of Crane’s The Burning Wheel system. The system is wonderfully organic, and is based around the character’s actions and player’s decisions pushing the plot, instead of a somewhat scripted story designed by a GM. The plots are mission-based. The characters will receive their mission, decide upon Goals they will try to reach on the mission, and then play it out.

In Mouseguard, the characters are sentient mice, living in a medieval-era world (think 12th century Europe) without humans. The theme of the game is mice facing a world that’s too big for them, which came from Petersen’s inspiration for his comic book.

I’m looking for a small steady group of players to take up the sword and join the Guard. Sexual content is allowed in this game, but all scenes will fade-to-black. Please, no graphic depictions of mouse sex. The game I want to run is a standard, mission-based adventure game without much sexual content. The game easily accommodates drop-outs and add-ins, but please don’t express interest unless you’re willing to be part of the game on a regular basis (posting once per week is ideal).

For those who sign up, I’ll be working with you more closely explaining the world, its history and culture, and character generation. If you have any questions, post them in this thread or PM me.

Yukina

I would love to tryout a new system.

TheHangedOne

I'm tentatively interested. Could you give a general synopsis about the world, beyond what has already been mentioned? This is the first time I'm ever hearing about Mouseguard.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Imogen

[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

AlexStone

I'm certainly interested in Mouseguard.  Mind if I watch the thread a bit, see what develops?

Lord Mayerling

Quote from: TheHangedMan on May 11, 2013, 08:15:40 AM
I'm tentatively interested. Could you give a general synopsis about the world, beyond what has already been mentioned? This is the first time I'm ever hearing about Mouseguard.

The Mouseguard is the do-all for the Mouse Territories. The Territories are basically a group of independent city-states, each with their own government and culture. The Mouseguard, based in the Guard City of Lockhaven, is the gendarmerie of all the Territories. They are responsible for maintaining the scent border (helping to keep the territories free of predators), protecting trade routes, delivering mail, mediating disputes, providing protection, organizing construction projects, etc. It’s essentially the Guard’s job to help all mice and their city-states prosper.

The Characters are members of the Guard, and form what’s called a Guard Patrol. This Patrol is assigned missions from Lockhaven, and it sorties in an attempt to fulfill this mission. Inevitably, while the Guard is on patrol, twists come up, and new threats and opportunities present themselves. Rarely does a Patrol leave Lockhaven and come straight back, mission complete. There’s simply too much to be done, and too many threats.

The Patrol faces obstacles from four sources: wilderness, weather, animals and other mice. When given a mission, a Patrol will face a number of obstacles that fall into these categories. It’s up to the Patrol to decide how they want to overcome these obstacles. Teamwork is key; heroism is likely.

The characters will also have a set of beliefs and instincts that will drive their behavior and actions to reach their goals. The characters receive rewards for doing this. The characters are also rewarded for failure. If they fail an objective, they may actually succeed, but take on conditions such as Hungry or Tired, which hampers their abilities until they can be addressed.

The characters get quite a bit of skeletal background during creation, and much of this can drive the story depending on how the GM uses it. Characters may find themselves facing an enemy, or worse, saving their life because it’s the right thing to do. These are player decisions. The heart of the roleplaying is facing two sides of a belief or instinct, and being forced to choose one of them. 

The game takes place in turns. There’s a GM turn, where the objectives are fleshed out and overcome, and then there’s a Player Turn, where the players recover from their wounds, work on learning new skills, or perhaps try to obtain that unreached goal determined at the beginning of the mission.

Finally, players are rewarded by the group as a whole for good roleplaying. Exciting scenes and dialogue result in bonuses for your character as determined by the group as a whole.

Niferbelle

TheHangedOne

Sounds pretty cool, Mayerling. I haven't a clue how to go about character creation or the like, so I'll need a hand with that, but I'm definitely interested.
Check out my poet tree!

Yukina

Remiel

Never played a sentient mouse before.  Would have absolutely no idea about how to do it.  But sign me up anyway :P

Imogen

Oohhh, Remiel! -bounces-

En garde! Lets cross swords and tails for the Mouse Guard! We shall be the bane of any weasel that comes near the civilian mice!

[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Lord Mayerling

We definitely have enough people now to play. Newcomers are still welcome.

We'll be doing character creation as a group as much as possible. This is to form a cohesive, complimentary group instead of having a group of oddballs. I'll be posting a char gen thread soon, and I'll PM the link to everyone.

Character generation in MG is done by answering questions and making choices. All you need to start is a concept in mind. Your concept will develop as well.

Again, if you'd like to play, and you aren't already, just reply to this thread.

AlexStone

Please, count me in if you haven't already.

TheHangedOne

Sounds groovy, Mayerling. I'm heading off for a while, but I will definitely hop over to the character creation thread tomorrow.
Check out my poet tree!

Monfang

Such a fresh idea. I'd be a fool to pass it up.

Skynet

I've been waiting for ages to play such a game.  I'm definitely interested!

Given how Mouse Guard's dice system works, does the Elliquiy roller recognize individual die rolls?  Sorry if that's been asked. :-[

Lord Mayerling

Quote from: Skynet on May 12, 2013, 12:11:06 AM
Given how Mouse Guard's dice system works, does the Elliquiy roller recognize individual die rolls?  Sorry if that's been asked. :-[

Yes it does.