Interest Check: Potterverse, Steampunk Edition

Started by MadPanda, February 06, 2009, 12:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadPanda

Okay, before you start slinging half-bricks and Cruciatis curses my way, permit me to explain my sudden lapse of sanity.

It is, to a degree, my lady wife's fault.  She found the Elemental Masters series by Mercedes Lackey.  After hearing her wax eloquent over the virtues thereof, I read them myself...which got me rooting through storage to re-read my old Castle Falkenstein books.  And that in turn resulted in my rather feverish imagination coming up with the thought of an integrated school formed by four different orders of sorcery for the education of gifted university-aged students.  In 1870's England, with a little Jules Verne tech, a few Sidhe lords, and the occasional Dwarf or Dragon thrown in for good measure.

Victorian melodrama!  Steamtech!  The answer to why you never see female Dwarves!  Witty banter!

So, with a modest tip of the hat to Ms. Rowling, I cast this peculiar proposal forth upon the table for discussion.  You may now commence with the casting of cobbles.

(dives for cover)
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Transgirlenstein

...I would kill to play in this.

Seriously.

Run it.

....or else.
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

MadPanda

Okay, that's one non-rock-thrower...  :)

One thing I ought to have made clear--inspired by HP, not based upon it.  No need to worry about canon or the like.

In Memory of Bishrook

Vice

Anything MadPanda comes up with is worth playing, in my experience. Put me down for checking this out. Hopefully RL stays chill and I don't peter out like last time.

I wouldn't worry much about accusations of HP copying...JK Rowling hardly invented the magical school scenario, and Harry Potter itself bears more than a coincidental resemblance to Neil Gaiman's Books of Magic...especially the main character.

HairyHeretic

So are you taking the basic Falkenstein setting, and placing the story at a School for Sorcerery?

Going to use the sorcery from Falkenstein? I had a Barvarian Dwarf sorcerer engineer .. can't remember the name of the sorcery he used though. It's been a while since we played that.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

MadPanda

Thanks, Vice!  You're too kind!

This is still in development, HH, but yes, I was thinking of using the CF system...including the magick.  :)  At the moment, I'm thinking of making Hogwarts more like a Mostly-For-Sorceror's Club than a school so that folks have more freedom of movement and action.

In Memory of Bishrook

Prefect Mos

Castle Falkenstien was the best RPG EVER.  If youll have me.. im in.

Transgirlenstein

Might need to be taught the system since I dont have the books.  Just realized that :)
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

MadPanda

Fortunately, the system is pretty easy.  Easier than I remembered it being, anyway.

What's coming to mind at the moment is, instead of a school, a club--mostly for sorcerors, segregated by gender in some regards but integrated in others, that forms a sort of international troubleshooting agency for certain issues.  that'd give folks a little more freedom of movement.

AdmerWill, do you have access to Comme Il Faut?

In Memory of Bishrook

Vice

I've never played Castle Falkenstein before. Well, I played the setting once, in a GURPS game. This sounds interesting.

Prefect Mos

Quote from: MadPanda on February 07, 2009, 01:46:37 PM
Fortunately, the system is pretty easy.  Easier than I remembered it being, anyway.

What's coming to mind at the moment is, instead of a school, a club--mostly for sorcerors, segregated by gender in some regards but integrated in others, that forms a sort of international troubleshooting agency for certain issues.  that'd give folks a little more freedom of movement.

AdmerWill, do you have access to Comme Il Faut?

The what? And are we talking about running the GURPS version.. or the Diary version... well really sort of need a custom way of running this so that we can keep our diary's... last time i played my diary came in at over a hundred pages... longest character sheet ever. 

MadPanda

The Companion, which had some extra bits and other useful information.

I was hoping to run the original (diary) version because I don't have the GURPS version.

In Memory of Bishrook

Prefect Mos

I need to find my books... I think they might be in Montana still.... This game is a real treat. though well have to keep all avanues of magic open to everyone... perhaps sub orders of the club that have.. specializations.

Muse

oh, no, oh, no, oh, no... 

This is teribly beautiful Panda. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

MadPanda

Okay!  I'm getting some good feedback, so this might actually happen.

Right this moment, I'm thinking Small Game, Light (the occasional bodice-ripping moment may not count to up the rating...).  One OOC thread, one for Diaries, one for Chapter headings, common date and the like, and then the actual game thread.

Input?  Opinions?  Suggestions?

In Memory of Bishrook

Prefect Mos

Oh... You almost need an OCC diary PER character.... also when magic gets involved..in an adult game.. bondage is bound to occur...

MadPanda

Depends on the magick being used, doesn't it?  I don't intend on making this a Bondage-centric game as it would seem a bit out of genre (a few bodice-ripping moments notwithstanding), but I'm willing to be somewhat flexible if enough people must have six of the best, trousers down...  :)

The problem with one-thread-per-player for the diary is that a small game only gets so many threads.  So I was thinking of having folks put up just their 'intro' diary entries and expanding them via the edit function if needed...or adding later posts as desired.

By all means, if you have a better idea, let me know!

In Memory of Bishrook

Muse

Well, Insane Musings is kinda quite these days.  I originaly petitioned for my own board so people I invited wouldn't get lost looking for my games, but I don't think it would be an issue putting in just this one along with my two, soon to be three, since I've curently got three adjacent boards.  ^_^;; 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

MadPanda

If you're okay with my wedging my humble works in there, then we can probably do as AdmerWill says and provide a diary thread for everybody.  :)  Plus, as I recall, your stuff is in NC territory, so the bodice-ripping might commence without issue.

However, your GM is skittish with the non-con stuff.  So bodice-ripping is probably the worst that will happen to any female PCs.  Onscreen, anyway.

In Memory of Bishrook

Muse

MadPanda

OK.  We can has negotiations behind the scenes, when and as applicable.
And I will get to work on plotting.

What I have in mind for the setting is a five 'house' social club--one house apiece for the primary divisions of magick and a fifth for those persons of interest and utility to the organization who are not themselves Sorcerously inclined (aka 'the house we set up for the Faerie Lords and anyone else we think might be useful').

UPDATE:
For some reason, the name 'Hogsmeade Club' keeps pinging around my brain, with 'Hogsmeade Chronicles' as a probable working title.

So I suppose we can start yakking about dramatic characters and the like in here whilst Muse and I put our noggins together and start with the duct tape and chicken wire and 2x4s.

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

Vice

Sorry, I haven't had time to build a character this week. :(

MadPanda

I suspect that's everybody's situation  :P  But then I haven't had much time to plot, so it's all good.

In Memory of Bishrook